The Official Vertigo Thread

Anyone else happen to grab the 2012 Vertigo preview? Dominique Laveau Voodoo Child seemed really interesting, and I liked the art. Saucer County didn't get me too excited, though I'll still probably check it out due to the creative team; I'm just not as interested in aliens and conspiracies like I use to. New Deadwardians looks like it may be interesting, but it didn't inspire a lot of want. Since it's a mini, I may pick up the trade.

I has a great cover.

Aww, Foreman is leaving Animal Man... sorry for the tangent.

That Rafael Grampa cover is freakin' fantastic. That guy needs to start getting way more work! :wow:

So I've been reading Fables and loving it, but I'm currently on Volume 10 The Good Prince. I am exciting they are releasing a spin-off title Fairest but do I need to be 100% caught up on the main title to "get it"?

I'm also in the midst of reading Fables, I'm way behind though. I'm reading the 3rd of the deluxe hardcover editions (which collect about 2 trades each I think). With the point where Jack spins off into his own title approaching around the time that the two other hardcovers of the series that are coming out this year cover I was wondering if Jack of Fables is worth reading? I don't know much about it other than that it stars Jack and that the ending got a lot of negative backlash, but other than that is it worth reading?

Jack of Fables is mostly good. Not sure what you'd need to know for Fairest. I've been reading Fables each month, but I haven't really been following any news on it or its spinoffs.

From what I understand about Fairest each arc is going to be a prequel story about one of the female fables, both major and minor ones, so I wouldn't think alot of backstory is required.

How was Cinderella: From Fabletown with Love and Cinderella: Fables are Forever?

I've only read the main title of Fables but I plan to get the 1001 Nights of Snowfall and these two also caught my eye. Not too interested in the Jack of Fables title.

I read Jack of Fables up until The Great Fables Crossover, and enjoyed it. Just haven't gone back into it to finish off the series yet.

Still need to read the Cinderella books myself.

How was Cinderella: From Fabletown with Love and Cinderella: Fables are Forever?

I've only read the main title of Fables but I plan to get the 1001 Nights of Snowfall and these two also caught my eye. Not too interested in the Jack of Fables title.
Both great. Cindy's stories are basically like reading a female James Bond in the world(s) of Fables. Really can't go wrong there. Plus, former Aquaman artist Shawn McManus drew them. :)

So, I think all of the new series that Vertigo launched are out now. I checked out two. Dominique Laveau: Voodoo Child was a bit of a disappointment. It wasn't so much as it was bad, as much it felt incredibly rushed and like the writer was doing his best to jam in everything as much as he could. A rocky start, but not bad enough to keep turn me off completely. I'll at least stick with it for a full arc.

Saucer Country
was much better, though. It wasn't anything that really blew my mind, but it solid and interesting enough to make me want to keep with it. And, of course, Kelly's art was pretty awesome. I've kind of lose my taste for the whole alien conspiracy thing, but I'll keep with this.

No, the New Deadwardians comes out this week. That is the last new book coming out from Vertigo this month and THAT is a book I'm really looking forward to.

Loved Fairest as expected, but didn't care for Saucer Country like I thought I would. Issue 2 may change my mind but toss in anything politic related and you lose me as I couldn't care less. But that was mainly setup emphasizing her platforms for her campaign and ****. Hence why I'll give issue 2 a go.

I really enjoyed Flex Metallo, the ideas we're really fun, the setting with it's dark pessimistic world being saved by superheroes is very neat and Quitely just nails it down.

Grrrr, why isn't that in my hands now! I am not a fan of the new recoloring job. The original colors made it seem like a fever dream, now it's way too drab.

So, I think all of the new series that Vertigo launched are out now. I checked out two. Dominique Laveau: Voodoo Child was a bit of a disappointment. It wasn't so much as it was bad, as much it felt incredibly rushed and like the writer was doing his best to jam in everything as much as he could. A rocky start, but not bad enough to keep turn me off completely. I'll at least stick with it for a full arc.

Saucer Country
was much better, though. It wasn't anything that really blew my mind, but it solid and interesting enough to make me want to keep with it. And, of course, Kelly's art was pretty awesome. I've kind of lose my taste for the whole alien conspiracy thing, but I'll keep with this.

I'm digging Saucer Country right now i think I'm definitely going to be sticking with that series :up:

"Right now" being one issue? :o

My Blog post on Flex Mentallo:
tumblr_m2dyequkHc1qjtjj7.jpg

Flex Mentallo is a Grant Morrison creation that was created as a parody of Charles Atlas, the strongman bodybuilder, the hero of the beach with a strong vibe of 1930s pulp heroism attached to him. This oversized hardcover is the first reprinted re-collection of a 1996 mini-series done by Morrison & Frank Quitely, with brand new coloring by Peter Doherty.

The book can be read as an autobiographic of Morrison because it touches a lot of things he utterly beliefs at, while his shamanistic symbolism and sigils is also there, his childhood fear of atom bombs and the concept idea of superheroes being able to save lives and leap forward to become something real and existing amongst us. It’s a tribute from Morrison to all the things he loves about comics, while inserting a huge chunk of his own personality into it. This is further evident if you’ve read the book Supergods or seen the movie Grant Morrison: Talking with Gods.

The story follows Wally Sage, a young adult who is about to commit suicide and is talking to a mystery man on the phone to discuss his childhood and most importantly his love to comic books, such as his favorite hero Flex Mentallo, who was brought alive by a child’s wish and again if I start delving into the story further, it’s not only spoiling but me reciting what Grant Morrison utterly believes, so I don’t wish to comment further on the story.

The brand new coloring removes the “Silver Age” vibe the book had going, but with its wacky concepts and more modern look, I’d simply call this a “Neo Silver Age” book akin to what Grant Morrison has been writing for the past few years, dark, while still carrying an hopeful message with high sci-fi concepts.
concepts. Frank Quitely’s art is absolutely gorgeous, if you’ve read We3, Batman & Robin or All Star Superman, that’s the sort of art you’re in ready for, with obvious modern coloring & inking. Flex’s over the top muscle massed body is larger than life giving this very Herculean look around him, the expressions are clear and the environmental settings can be larger than life.

Rating: 96/100 – As a Morrison/Quitely fan I was more than pleased, but I would feel the writing could come across more evident on what Morrison wants to aim, because as a longtime Morrison fan I’ve read his interviews, watched the documentary movie and read Supergods, so I already have a strong sense of what he aims, believes and how he has made the comic fan community seen him as. So for a non-Morrison fan some of the concepts might seem outrageous or flat out weird. Still it’s a wonderful oversized hardcover for your book shelves.
As a review i think i should just rewrite it, but at the end of the day i kinda like it as my thoughts. I liked the book because it's Morrison's tribute to all the things he loves about comics, but at the end of the day would a new reader get confused? Or isn't the whole selling point here that it's Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely doing what they do.

My Blog post on Flex Mentallo:
As a review i think i should just rewrite it, but at the end of the day i kinda like it as my thoughts. I liked the book because it's Morrison's tribute to all the things he loves about comics, but at the end of the day would a new reader get confused? Or isn't the whole selling point here that it's Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely doing what they do.

I think it's a little bit of both. After All Star there was probably a bigger push to get this book published. It's definitely not a simple book. It's very surreal and tied to Morrison's personal life but after peeling back everything it's a very rewarding book.

No other book has influence my look on superheroes. I just loved that is book is full of hope and a bright outlook on the future. One that we're still waiting on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"