The Old Official Superman Casting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check out the big boots on Bob!
What's that give him? About another 2-3 inches? Just enough so Gwyneth in heels doesn't tower over him?

Here's something else I've been thinking about with the people who aren't fans of using lifts - how often do you look at the actor's feet? Sure, with Superman, who flies, maybe moreso than other characters. But here's the thing - in scenes where you don't see Superman's feet, you use the lifts, and in scenes where Superman flies and you have to show his boots, you use *gasp* regular boots!

Movie magic, my friends. Abracadabra.

I just don't think this would work for Superman as it does for some characters. One thing I think people over look is that it's not just about height. It's about the actor's size in general. Movie magic only gets you so far.

Look at those Japanese car ads with Bomber as Superman. Yes I know some will argue that the commercial isn't like a big budget film and that they aren't doing what could be done. Sorry, still don't see it working.

To me you can give him another inch or two and he still would look way too small for Supes. His (or any actor of the same height) overall build and proportions are much smaller than you would get with someone say over six feet tall and it shows.

I still hold strong to the opinion that the actor playing Superman at least has to be 6'1". Just my opinion though.

And not just 6"1+, he needs to be broad and built. There's lot of tall actors around with muscles, but Superman always looks big - not too big that he can't carry off the Clark Kent role, but big enough to be intimidating.

That's one of the reasons Welling gets mentioned for the role a lot, he's naturally muscular with a farmboy type build. Justin Hartley who plays Oliver Queen on Smallville is a similar height, but doesn't look anywhere near as big as Welling. If Welling put in the same amount of gymn time that Routh did for SR, he'd be massive.

I just don't think this would work for Superman as it does for some characters. One thing I think people over look is that it's not just about height. It's about the actor's size in general. Movie magic only gets you so far.

Look at those Japanese car ads with Bomber as Superman. Yes I know some will argue that the commercial isn't like a big budget film and that they aren't doing what could be done. Sorry, still don't see it working.

To me you can give him another inch or two and he still would look way too small for Supes. His (or any actor of the same height) overall build and proportions are much smaller than you would get with someone say over six feet tall and it shows.

I still hold strong to the opinion that the actor playing Superman at least has to be 6'1". Just my opinion though.

I agree with you, but just to clarify, I wasn't advocating a 5'9" actor play Superman. I'm a Cavill supporter, and some people think that he comes in too short at 6'1". I think that's silly. But I'm happy to see he would fit your height requirement.

I also think that if Cavill hit the gym, he could easily pack on the pounds and muscle. Some people will also disagree with this, and I don't claim to be an expert on physique, but I look at him & see the potential.

to all the cavill supporters-
6336_101637589848059_100000054551820_47148_7420488_n.jpg

Haha, that's a very clever veiled insult. I give you credit for that one. That's like something I would have come up with, haha.

No, I just believe in Henry Cavill... and my writing probably appears passionate and, well, lucid because I don't misspell every other word and write "like" and "f**k" and "pwned." And I do passionately believe that Henry Cavill was born to play Superman. All of those out there who don't think so, if he ever gets the part, you'll see. I see Superman in him as clear as the daylight. I saw The Joker in Heath Ledger before he played the part, when so many were saying "Oh my God, Nolan ruined The Joker, Ledger is just a pretty boy," I was saying, "No, he'll be the greatest Joker ever," and I was right. I was right about Ledger and I'm right about Cavill. And I hope you see one day.

Also, it's not a coincidence that there are many people on this board who say that Routh is stiff, that he's wooden and doesn't display proper emotion and says his lines like he's reading off a cue card. It's because that's true. Out of everyone on this board, it's the people who back Henry Cavill who are backing the guy who actually has the talent, the guy who actually deserves the praise that he's given, not just because we want more sh**ty watered-down Superman right away, but because we want a quality Superman movie with an actor who can actually act and with a plot that doesn't involve a growing island. It's those who passionately praise Brandon Routh, this obviously below-average actor, who appear like they have some personal stake in his success, who appear as though they have no perception of acting ability, screen presence, nor quality filmmaking. I love Superman. I LOVE Superman... and guess what? I fell asleep in Superman Returns. That's actually true. That movie couldn't even entertain a die-hard Superman fan. So, actually, your comment has created a new theory of mine. This board is full of Routh's mother, father, uncle, brother, wife, ex-girlfriend, butcher, bookie, valet parker, his personal chef, his dry cleaner. They're all his buddies and they're on this board making it look like he has fans.

Wow, I mean Wow!! I hope this post of your is full of sarcasm and jokes Lucid! Otherwise this post is just another of yours that irks the hell out of me!

First let me say, I'm not criticizing you simply because you like Cavill and not Routh. That's your cup of tea, not mine, and that's cool! Many of us have different choices. That's the fun of the casting thread! So let me just make that clear to you.

However, maybe it's just who you are and because you are passionate that you maybe don't realize it, but the arrogance you display in your post is unreal. Just like your post before, the one where you claimed because you were a director you could see something in Cavill that we couldn't and that made your choice more right, this post does the same thing. Only this time your claiming because you were "right" about Ledger's Joker that somehow makes what you think about Cavill right. Gimme a break! I mean if you are so right, then why hasn't Cavill been snatched up for the NUMBER of roles he's auditioned for? Anybody can be right or wrong about anything, we don't know for sure. How many people "knew" Spacey was going be an awesome Lex, only to turn find out that they felt he was horribe?
I love how you can see Cavill as Superman, ya know as clear as daylight, but several people can't. Yet we'll see right? I guess we're just not enlightened yet like you are.

It's not a coincidence that there are people who belittle Routh? I guess because he has detractors that make it true. Well is it a coincidence that there are people who praise him? Does that not make it true? Lucid, it's call an opinion! No ones is more right or wrong.

I LOVED Routh's performance and passionately have praised him, but speaking for only for myself, I have no personal stake in the guy's success. It would great if he came back, but ya know what, if he doesn't get chosen, oh well! I am a Superman fan first and foremost and I want what's best for the character and I'd hope the next actor would do a good job. I have even stated in the past that if Routh wasn't coming back I would't mind them giving Jared Padalecki a look. But according to your words because I liked Routh, I must have some personal interest and have "no perception acting abilitly or screen presence." Then again, I guess I'm not a director am I? :whatever:

Hey guess what Lucid?! I'm a die hard Superman fan and SR entertained the hell out of when I saw it at the midnight showing! It did so for many others as well! It made you sleepy. Well to each there own. I'm sorry you did not enjoy it. But I don't consider you any less of a Superman fan. Stop being so pretensious!

And that last comment about your theory of buddies and mothers is just ridiculous! I hope that was simply a sarcastic response to MP's stupid comment, that basically said the same thing, and nothing more. Sorry MostPowerful, I love ya but your praise/defense of Routh can be overbearing at times and hypocritical.

Lucid, I'm not trying to start some internet beef or fight with you. You have shown respect to me and always been civil in your posts. But I do find some of your recent posts to be condescending to those who don't share your views about Cavill. I believe you somehow hold yourself in high regard and think your opinion, and that's what it is, holds more water than others. You clearly are passionate about your choice and I think that's great. But don't act as if everyone elses viewpoint/choice is null and void of any value or signifigance. You should take a few cues from I See Spidey and DavidTyler, among others.

BTW, I took you up on your request to hear from Routh fans what exactly they liked about Routh as Superman and wrote a very in-depth post, since you wanted to actually debate and not just read "he was great." I have yet to see a response from you detailing what it is that you did not like.

I'm surprised people are taking this comment so seriously. It was clearly a joke.

Because the Cavill fans are sick of Cavill being the but of the jokes around here while Routh is treated like the second coming of Superman in the flesh. It's not nasty in any way it's just that there's only so much certain fans can take, either that or the person simply didn't read it as such & took it the wrong way. Not a big deal.

Steve

It does get old. Routh was ok as Superman and I wouldnt be against him coming back, but I wouldnt shed a tear if he were replaced either.

Because the Cavill fans are sick of Cavill being the but of the jokes around here while Routh is treated like the second coming of Superman in the flesh. It's not nasty in any way it's just that there's only so much certain fans can take, either that or the person simply didn't read it as such & took it the wrong way. Not a big deal.

Steve

The love and hate for each of the actors goes both ways. There are people who come in and post every day about nothing other than what a bad actor they think Routh is. They put up pictures with his hair on a plank of wood. Etc.
Meanwhile, Cavill fans come in here repeatedly with phrases such as: "He is a Greek God." "He was born to play Superman." "Those who want Cavill are the only ones on these boards who really appreciate the fine art of acting."

I agree with you, but just to clarify, I wasn't advocating a 5'9" actor play Superman. I'm a Cavill supporter, and some people think that he comes in too short at 6'1". I think that's silly. But I'm happy to see he would fit your height requirement.

I also think that if Cavill hit the gym, he could easily pack on the pounds and muscle. Some people will also disagree with this, and I don't claim to be an expert on physique, but I look at him & see the potential.

I wasn't saying anything against you or Cavill...I stepped into the party late so sorry if it seemed so. I actually think facially he has an awesome look for Superman that has only gotten better over these last few years.

Build/stature wise I am not sure. I'd have to watch some more of the Tudors or something to get a better idea. But at 6'1" with the proper workout, I bet he would look really good in the role.

I was just piping in because having seen the argument about camera tricks/lifts, etc for Superman before, I personally don't think that is all there is to it.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back