• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread part 2!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well done Arsenal! :up: and congrats to Van Petrol my friend. :)

For the first 25 minutes Arsenal matched Barca and that chance RVP had from the sublime Fabregas chip pass could have really set them on the way. I thought Barca got into gear half way through through the first half and by half time Arsenal needed the break.

Second half was much quieter and Barca seemed content with controlling the game as opposed to racking up chances, but credit to Arsenal, they plugged away and kept playing their game, the equalizer was a case of poor keeping mixed with a RVP taking a gamble with his strike, and I don't know if anyone saw the interview he gave after the game but it sounded like he was playing under the weather.

The winning goal was superb counter attacking football, the little pass from Wilshire, the sweeping through ball from Fabregas and then the composure of Nasri to lay it on for Arshavin who passed it into the net.

Credit also to the much maligned Arsenal back 4, they were very solid and discipline tonight despite paying that dangerous high line, Koscielny in particular had a very good game, picking off many attacks.

Still a lot to do for Arsenal as they enter the cauldron, but they have given themselves a fighting chance. :up:

Nah, I wear the knee-pads because of my crappy knee joints (blame my father for that one) and I wear gloves because it makes me look cool, in a Nani-esque way. At least, that's what I tell myself.

To be honest, we have no permanent goalkeeper, which is a pain in the backside. We all have to pitch in and play a half each at one time or another, rotational style. The blonde guy in the bottom middle saved a penalty last night!

Haha! :D :up:

So when you are not taking your turn in goal what position do you play?

Not aimed at you.

I'm planning to send Xavi a copy of this:

WilshereGunnerblogBody.png

:hehe:

I didn't mention him in my comments on the game because I wanted to single him out, he was outstanding tonight, he looked the equal of the world class CM's around him, his passing, awareness and composure are incredible for his age.

Well done Arsenal! :up: and congrats to Van Petrol my friend. :)
Thanks man! :):up:

For the first 25 minutes Arsenal matched Barca and that chance RVP had from the sublime Fabregas chip pass could have really set them on the way. I thought Barca got into gear half way through through the first half and by half time Arsenal needed the break.

Second half was much quieter and Barca seemed content with controlling the game as opposed to racking up chances, but credit to Arsenal, they plugged away and kept playing their game, the equalizer was a case of poor keeping mixed with a RVP taking a gamble with his strike, and I don't know if anyone saw the interview he gave after the game but it sounded like he was playing under the weather.

The winning goal was superb counter attacking football, the little pass from Wilshire, the sweeping through ball from Fabregas and then the composure of Nasri to lay it on for Arshavin who passed it into the net.

Credit also to the much maligned Arsenal back 4, they were very solid and discipline tonight despite paying that dangerous high line, Koscielny in particular had a very good game, picking off many attacks.

Still a lot to do for Arsenal as they enter the cauldron, but they have given themselves a fighting chance. :up:

I still don't think we'll do it, the match at the Nou Camp is going to be torture I reckon. However, I'm glad and proud of the players for giving it a bigger and better go than we did last season.

Yeah, I believe RVP has been a bit under the weather recently.

The second goal was brilliant, IMO. It was just like a typical Barca goal too.

I didn't mention him in my comments on the game because I wanted to single him out, he was outstanding tonight, he looked the equal of the world class CM's around him, his passing, awareness and composure are incredible for his age.
Agreed. I'd always heard great things about him when he was in the academy, but I never he could have had an effect at this early stage in his career. It's hard to believe he's only 19, and hopefully he's just going to get even better. I still can't believe we have him, and don't/haven't had to pay a penny for him. :)

I bet Xavi and the Barca medical team are hard at work to try and discover whether he has Barca DNA in him as we speak, lol.

I hope Fabio Capello was watching to see how to use him properly. Knowing Fabio, probably not.

Btw, loved Szczesny celebration.....

a095b62ba601cdf2e9b5ff3d0e9c8069_szczesny2.gif

I truly believe we have our new long term number 1 right here. PL debut against United, and now a CL debut against Barca. He's done really well considering his status, age and experience. And his confidence and composure is really so what we've been lacking at the back.

I still don't think we'll do it, the match at the Nou Camp is going to be torture I reckon. However, I'm glad and proud of the players for giving it a bigger and better go than we did last season.

Agreed. I'd always heard great things about him when he was in the academy, but I never he could have had an effect at this early stage in his career. It's hard to believe he's only 19, and hopefully he's just going to get even better. I still can't believe we have him, and don't/haven't had to pay a penny for him. :)
If Carroll was £35m plus....how much do you want for your 19yr old boy Wilshere? We have cash sitting around :woot:

Definitely a Barca style goal.

If I was an Arsenal fan I'd be proud even if they went out now. (although I'd still be pissed that we didn't finish top of the group & avoid them in the 1st place! :cmad:)

I truly believe we have our new long term number 1 right here. PL debut against United, and now a CL debut against Barca. He's done really well considering his status, age and experience. And his confidence and composure is really so what we've been lacking at the back.
Yeah, he did really well. You've NEEDED a good man behind the sticks for ages!! How old is he?

If Carroll was £35m plus....how much do you want for your 19yr old boy Wilshere? We have cash sitting around :woot:

Definitely a Barca style goal.

If I was an Arsenal fan I'd be proud even if they went out now. (although I'd still be pissed that we didn't finish top of the group & avoid them in the 1st place! :cmad:)

Yeah, he did really well. You've NEEDED a good man behind the sticks for ages!! How old is he?

Lol, I'd hate to estimate, especially seeing as he's English. :oldrazz:

Agreed the build up from Wilshere, to Fabregas, to Nasri and finally to Arshavin was beautiful to watch.

Agreed completely mate. Lol, agreed again.

Yep, he and Wilshere have been great thus far and I'm hoping they will get even better as they grow older and mature. He's 20, btw.

Lol, I'd hate to estimate, especially seeing as he's English. :oldrazz:

Agreed the build up from Wilshere, to Fabregas, to Nasri and finally to Arshavin was beautiful to watch.

Agreed completely mate. Lol, agreed again.

Yep, he and Wilshere have been great thus far and I'm hoping they will get even better as they grow older and mature. He's 20, btw.

Martin Tyler damn near lost it. Fabregas to Nasri, Nasri to Arshavin....

ARSHAVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN!

Martin Tyler lost a lung on that scream.

I had a good feeling for Arsenal tonight (think I mentioned here as well earlier). Sounded overoptimistic but predicted 2-0 home win at work just before I left so am expecting some plaudits tomorrow.

I just thought the 4-2-3-1 & the players picked were the right choices. An attacking 3 of Fabregas, Walcott & Nasri gave me the confidence that Arsenal would score. That is a great 3 to have as free attackers across the pitch with plenty of flair, creativity & pace out wide. I wasn't 100% on Nasri's fitness (set up an amazing goal), how well Wilshere would play from deep once Xavi, Iniesta & co got going (in the event he played amazingly) & whether the defence would at some point crack under the pressure, lose morale & let in about 4 (had a bit of luck on a couple of occasions but otherwise played a lot better than usual). But admittedly, once Villa's goal went in I thought it was curtains.

Above all it's great that having failed miserably last time out, Wenger has shown that he can beat Barcelona without compromising his principles of attacking football. The Inter way is not the only way!

:yay: :up:

Yeah, I believe RVP has been a bit under the weather recently.

It was certainly a marked improvement on last years performance against Barca, and now you have a lead to take to the Camp Nou, it'll be tough but you can punish them with the players you have as they come looking for the goal on that huge pitch.

I figured, didn't slow his workrate but he didn't look quite as sharp as in recent weeks, yet he still came up big for you.

Indeed it was. :up:

I remember the first time I saw him was at the pre-season Emirates cup thing, he was only 16 and I couldn't believe how composed he was when he got into good situations, his level of maturity on the pitch is well above most youngsters. I think he has the potential to be the best English midfielder since Scholes. :up:

I bet Xavi and the Barca medical team are hard at work to try and discover whether he has Barca DNA in him as we speak, lol.

:funny: I recall Hansen saying earlier this season that he plays like a Spanish midfielder.

Martin Tyler damn near lost it. Fabregas to Nasri, Nasri to Arshavin....

ARSHAVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN!

Martin Tyler lost a lung on that scream.

i saw that play maybe 10 times lol...yelled with tyler too

quoted for truth...this one is a keeper

I'm just a Southern Cali kid still trying to get the deeper technical aspects of football but DAMN it's a good day to be a Gunner!

ok guys to lighten the mood after the crap about the deaths what do you think is the funniest fan chant keep it clean

personally i loved the one after rangers goalkeeper Andy Gorams was diagnosed with Schizophrenia

the crowd the next match started "Two Andy Gorams, there's only two Andy Gorams"

Liverpool Face Battle To Secure £8m Midfield Enforcer Transfer

Arsenal Agree Deal to Sign £12m Centre Back

Fergie eyeing Roma star as Scholes replacement

Tottenham set to pip rivals Arsenal in race to land £15m-rated Wickham

Interesting position for Liverpool to be looking at.

Do Arsenal need another CB with Koscielny improving and Vermaelen on the way back? considering Djourou has had a good season as well.

De Rossi will not leave Roma and if we got him he'd be more a Keane replacement than a scholes replacement.

The more I see of Wickham the more impressed I am, he will be a very shrewd long term buy for whoever gets him.

Is it me or do the 3 guys at the back look like a young Gary Pallister, a young Glen Roader and Alan Smith with black hair?? LOL......:woot:

Ha, yea they actually do! With me being like a young Beckham, obviously? :cwink:

Haha! :D :up:

So when you are not taking your turn in goal what position do you play?

I've got no right foot, so left mid mostly. I fill in for left back from time to time as well, we have a pretty good system of filling in for one another as the game goes on. If I'm playing left back, and the left mid wants to drop back, we can swap round really easily without compromising structure, I'm sure you get the idea.

Haha brilliant! I love how Cesc is Leia. Does this mean Messi is Vader and Guardiola is The Emperor?

I enjoyed the match overall, but aside from a great first 20 minutes and a few brilliant moments afterwards, I can't see how Arsenal are gonna knock Barca out. Iniesta didn't play to his best, and Puyol was missing too. By the way, is it me, or do Arsenal rarely ever pass to Walcott? I kinda feel he's underplayed in there team, especially last night.

Believe it or not, I actually want Barca to lose, because I think it'll be a much more interesting Champions League if they do. I'm rather hoping to hit up my contacts in London to see if I can get final tickets.

Also, looking at Arsenals fixtures for the next two weeks, their spreading themselves thin. The Carling Cup final, FA Cup replay, and two PL league games inbetween legs. It's a tough ask, for any club.

I'm sure they'll rest most of the big guys for the Leyton Orient trip. Hopefully if they win the Carling Cup, it should give them a boost for the rest of the season.

I know it has a naughty word but this is too damn funny

dont ban me for too long hunter

Last edited by a moderator:
It is hilarious, PM that thing Spidey so I don't have to ban you for any time at all. :cwink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"