The POLICE ACADEMY appreciation thread

CorpusBlack

Sidekick
Reaction score
C'mon, I know I'm not the only one who loves these films (well.. apart from the last couple). Here's how I rate them.

Police Academy (5 out of 5)
Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment (4.5 out of 5)
Police Academy 3: Back In Training (4.5 out of 5)
Police Academy 4: Citizens On Patrol (4.5 out of 5)
Police Academy 5: Assignment: Miami Beach (3.5 out of 5)
Police Academy 6: City Under Siege (2.5 out of 5)
Police Academy 7: Mission To Moscow (0.5 out of 5)

Great first movie, but all of the sequels suck hard. Especially when Guttenberg left.

i thought it be fun like that movie spaceballs but it turned out like that movie police acadamy.

anyone see that ninja academy film that was a total rip off.

I hated two and three. No Captain Harris.

Captain Harris > Lt. Mauser

I agree. Harris is my second fav after Mahoney. However 2 had Howard Hesseman and Bobcat, which made up for it IMO. I still like 3, minus Harris.

What if Police Academy were to be remade? I gotta say, the only way to go in my eyes would be Ryan Reynolds in the Mahoney role and Ben Stiller as Harris. Leslie Neilsen could be Cmndt. Lassard. It wouldn't be THAT bad. Still, I wouldn't advocate it.

What if Police Academy were to be remade? I gotta say, the only way to go in my eyes would be Ryan Reynolds in the Mahoney role and Ben Stiller as Harris. Leslie Neilsen could be Cmndt. Lassard. It wouldn't be THAT bad. Still, I wouldn't advocate it.

That's a sound idea, still.. I can't advocate a remake either. I'd rather see someone take the idea and do something new, ala 'Reno 911!' which I also enjoy.

police academy four and three are alright....

MAHONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would also like to use this opportunity to highlight the cartoon series because not many people remember it

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=octYayKGVpE
I remember that cartoon, with the Fat Boys doing the theme. Hey, does anyone remember there being another Police Academy series? It was on syndication and only lasted one season, and it had Jones (the guy who made all the noises) in charge.

I remember that cartoon, with the Fat Boys doing the theme. Hey, does anyone remember there being another Police Academy series? It was on syndication and only lasted one season, and it had Jones (the guy who made all the noises) in charge.

Yeah, there was a TV series but I didn't much care for it. It just didn't have the charm of the first few films.

Guttenberg owned all those films, when he left they just became crap

The first four movies were hilarious. The fifth and sixth movies sucked. And, I never bothered with the seventh installment. When Guttenberg left he took all the quality with him.

Ryan Reynolds wouldn't do Steve Guttenberg justice. Guttenberg was DA MAN back in the day! Aside from the first four Police Academy movies he did Diner, Cocoon, Short Circuit, and Three Men and a Baby. You need someone like Paul Rudd.

I've been having a bit of a Police Academy marathon lately and I noticed this about parts 2 and 3. There was something missing without Harris being the antagonist.

Because he was in the first one he set the standard and he had great chemistry with all of the cast, especially with Guttenberg's Mahoney. They really despised each other. I never got that intensity or comedic value between Mahoney and Mauser.

Plus Mauser was just a weasely type ass kisser. Harris was an authority man and in some ways you could argue he wasn't really a bad guy. He just had a standard for how police officers should be. Mahoney and the rest of them never met his standards lol.

Plus Harris had his neat little quirks like his "Move it, move it, move it" and "Dirtbag" sayings. Plus that swagger stick he was always walking around with. I loved Harris. G.W. Bailey was amazing in the role. One of my favorite characters in the series.

I mean just look at scenes like this: [YT]Kfjyq_-dY-c&list=FL-jXd-o0LVgs2RRTyXoFJQg&index=25[/YT]

Last edited:
*Bump*

Just watched the first movie again. Still as great as ever. As fun as the sequels were, they never topped the original.

From what little I've seen clips online of the Police Academy cartoon from the 80's it is awful.

For me I love the first 4 films, the others not so much.

I like all of the sequels to some degree or another, except the one where they go to Russia, which also happens to be the last one. Nothing tops the first though.

The first movie was completely cheeseball but it knew it going in and reveled in it. The first two sequels are still decent IMO but by the fifth they really lost the touch. The fourth one is just there to me.

Guttenberg owned all those films, when he left they just became crap
Hard to admit but it's the truth, Guttenberg was the glue that held the series afloat, when I first saw Police Academy 5: Assignment Miami Beach and didnt see his name in the opening credits I thought there was some flub in editing and that he would pop up later in the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"