The Prequel Trilogy General Discussion and Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episodes I - III' started by Doc Ock, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

Honestly shocked to see how many people here like the prequels. I just saw them for the first time about a year ago and found the first two to be outright awful. Everyone I know grew up with them and told me that the hatred was overblown and that they were actually decent films, but I don't know if I've ever had as much trouble sitting through a movie as I did with TPM and AotC. RotS is the only movie worth watching out of the three.

2. A Necessary Evil One. Bad. Day.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy them and felt the need to say that it is shocking someone would have an alternate opinion from yours in an appreciation thread about them lol

3. Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

"General discussion and appreciation".
    Seems it fits.

4. Ivan Drago Do Not Want

Big part has to do with nostalgia. Lots of people grew up with the prequel movies.

5. Drizzle There's no knowing where we're rowing

[​IMG]

6. Nick Morton Registered

[​IMG]

7. A Necessary Evil One. Bad. Day.

JJB sucks but at least I can laugh at him. Finn was annoying aF

Huh? That's like saying the OT is fondly looked at because of people growing up with them.....then again I DO see alot of OT-elitists say that the PT/TFA didn't remind them of when they were a kid.... :thf:

8. Paradox1 Registered

Not in my case I grew on the OT, but I still like prequels. In my opinion they aren't as good overall but there are things about them that are fantastic. Plus I will always love the prequels for bringing back my love and interest for Star Wars. i hadn't seen a Star Wars film in at least a decade not on tv, or video before the TPM came out. Afterwards I was back in love with Star Wars reading comics p, video games, all to catch on what I missed.

9. Bim Registered

I grew up with the OT and i love the PT. I think it's just a matter of personal taste, really. Some like them and connected with them and some didnt.

10. flash13 Wally West

I think Jar Jar works. Because kids love him, and that was the point.

11. Brem Registered

It's actually called being capable of forming your own view as opposed to following the masses.

The argument I have always had tossed my way is that I need to go and watch a series of ridiculously over-long video reviews, and apparently then I will change my mind. :whatever:

Once you're at that point in your life, that it's supposedly a requirement for anyone with a differing opinion to watch some absurdly long video reviews, you should realise than that it may be time to just - move on.

At the end of the day, though, you are entitled to whatever opinion you do want to have in regard to these films. But there's nothing shocking about people liking them.

I grew up watching the original trilogy. My earliest memories are of my video tapes before the Special Editions. Which I also liked, when the films were re-released.

So no, it isn't nostalgia. I enjoyed the films - give or take a couple of off scenes, but I can apply that same criticism to the Original Trilogy as well - and, once again, as I may have said many times, I'm not likely to change my mind anytime soon.

And apologies to anyone else who reads this, and feels I've been a little combative in my responses. I'm actually starting to feel that the bigger joke isn't those of us that actually like the Prequels. It's people who find it oh so "shocking" that we do, and then come up with the excuses for us why we like them. :whatever: As if we don't, you know, know ourselves well enough.

I Am The Knight likes this.
  12. Spider-Aziz Spelunking

I saw The Phantom Menace yesterday, and honestly, it's not as bad as I remember it, and Jar Jar Binks is less annoying than I remember.

Now that I'm watching Attack of the Clones I think it has the making of a bad movie I enjoy, that fireplace discussion is hilarious. I have no fondness for any of the characters, and that stops it from being one I'd care to revisit more often.
    The flying cars chase scene early in the movie is actually pretty cool.

13. Spider-Aziz Spelunking

"OBI WAN HATES ME, HE'S JEALOUS OF ME"
    Not long after that
    "OBI WAN IS LIKE A FATHER TO ME"

I'm laughing.

I Am The Knight likes this.
  14. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

The traditional jealous father full of hatred angle. :woot:

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  15. Lantern Venom Lego SUCKS

I'm rewatching all of the SW films again in preparation for The Last Jedi. The more that I view the PT (which is likely in excess of 50 times), the more that they hold their own with the OT. Phantom Menace took a little time to find its legs, but this trilogy still showed more originality than TFA and Rogue One.

16. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Started my SW Marathon yesterday and tonight was the turn of AOTC. I always thought it was better than TPM but the latter definitely held up better for me this time.

17. NewYorkSpider EndGame

I try to force myself to like AOTC, but I just can't do it. Has some cool parts in it, but for me it's easily the worst Star Wars movie out of the 8 there are.

18. C. Lee Superherohype Administrator

To me....the prequels have good and bad parts. There are things I love and things I hate....but overall I have fun watching them.

19. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Same here, thought I did struggle a bit with AOTC on this viewing.

20. C. Lee Superherohype Administrator

Never had a major problem with that one. One of my biggest problems was with RotS......where Padme goes from a kickass warrior in AotC to a whiney wimp who basically wills herself to die and abandons her kids.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  21. Grootster Dancing Tree

I grew up watching the prequels and the originals simultaneously on DVD, I was never told "originals = good, prequels = bad." Back then it was all just Star Wars to me (TPM was actually my favorite up until I was about 14 or 15). It wasn't until I was about 16 or 17 that I learned how much people hated Jar Jar, when I first started using the Internet regularly. It was actually kind of shocking to me.

With all of that out of the way, I think the prequels are kind of underrated. Looking at it with adult eyes I do realize that the prequels aren't extremely well-made, but I still think they get too much hate. This whole mindset of "TFA is a million times better than the prequels" or "TFA is what the prequels should have been" is just absurd to me. TFA may be a slightly better film than the prequels, but not by much (personally, I view ROTS as a better-made film). I certainly don't think the prequels are "some of the worst movies ever made" like some people claim.

22. Drizzle There's no knowing where we're rowing

Lucas tends to nerf characters. See also: Han in ROTJ, where he goes from a badass smuggler to whiny jealous lover. ("Could you tell Luke, is that who you could tell?" "You love him, don't you? When he comes back, I won't get in the way.")

In Padme's defense, she did have a meatier storyline in the ROTS deleted scenes where she was one of the founders of the Rebellion.

23. TheJL Registered

This sets her apart from Leia, Jyn, or Rey.

Lucas gave her character depth that should've been seen on the big screen. It probably would've given her greater appreciation.

24. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

I'm doing a rewatch starting today. One thing I love about the prequels is that we get to see beginning of the end and a civilization that isn't at completely destroyed. I'd love to see the return of some sort of Monarchy.

Though I hate what they ended up doing with Padme by the third film.

25. DyeLorean will return

As maligned as the prequels are (and sometimes unjustifiably so), you gotta give it to Lucas for trying something different. The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi are proving that is not *that* easy to expand the universe.