The President Obama Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. Huff post is calling this a mandate for Obama. I don't think so. Obama and the Dems should have blown Romney and the Repubs away after the ridiculous crap the Right pulled over the last 4 years but they didn't. That should show the Dems that they have to do a better job next time around.

The Right have alot of soul searching to do but the Dems have alot of issues to fix themselves.

Just curious, but how is winning the popular vote and electoral college not a mandate?

...because President Obama barely won the popular vote. If he had won the popular vote by the margins he did over John McCain, it could be argued as a mandate.

Happy for Obama. Proud Ohioan here :)
I may live in W.Va. But I was born and raised in Dayton Ohio so I'm a Ohioan at hart so like you, I'm a very happy Ohioan. :woot:

I just wish I could have voted in Ohio instead of W.Va who went for Romney. I hate this state. :csad:

Just curious, but how is winning the popular vote and electoral college not a mandate?

...because President Obama barely won the popular vote. If he had won the popular vote by the margins he did over John McCain, it could be argued as a mandate.

What Marx said. :cwink::woot:

I think some of the comments are pretty telling, as if the actual acticle isn't telling enough (we all kow that the rest of the world wants whats best for us, right?). In particular, this little bit:

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage."

Anyone care to refute this logic? Where do we fall in this continuum at the moment?

I think we are at stage #..................................... 7 moving quickly to stage 8. : ) what do I win?

I think we are at stage #..................................... 7 moving quickly to stage 8. : ) what do I win?

Barack: Joe, tell her what she's won..!

Joe: Ohhh, sorry. You work and pay taxes...you don't win anything! Oh and you're a teacher...I think you may actually have to give up something! Unless you're not actually teaching, just telling the kids (the ones that can read) to read pp. xxx in their book while you sit at your desk and file your nails...then you get tenure (can you get that in grade school?)! :cwink:

Last edited:
It was obvious the rest of the planet prefers Obama to Romney. They view him as another Bush, plain and simple.

It was obvious the rest of the planet prefers Obama to Romney. They view him as another Bush, plain and simple.

And you believe what the rest of the planet prefers stems from their desire for what's best for America?

The luck of Barack Obama:

He beat Hilary.

He became President.

He stayed President.

BEST IN THE WORLD!

Spider‐Man;24600197 said:
I think some of the comments are pretty telling, as if the actual acticle isn't telling enough (we all kow that the rest of the world wants whats best for us, right?). In particular, this little bit:

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage."

Anyone care to refute this logic? Where do we fall in this continuum at the moment?

I'd say that's two separate quotes from twp separate people (Alexander Tytler and H. W. Prentis) that someone on the internet incorrectly slapped together right after the Bush/Gore election, and it gets regurgitated after every election since, mostly from people on the side who didn't win.

I'd also say that since we're not a true democracy, but a representative republic with a three branched system of governance with built in checks and balances, we wouldn't fall anywhere on Prentis' scale.

Last edited:
I'd say that's two separate quotes from twp separate people (Alexander Tytler and H. W. Prentis) that someone on the internet incorrectly slapped together right after the Bush/Gore election that gets regurgitated after every election since, mostly from people on the side who didn't win.

I'd also say that since we're not a true democracy, but a representative republic with a three branched system of governance with built in checks and balances, we wouldn't fall anywhere on Prentis' scale.

Awesome! So since the checks and balances are built in, we can all just sit back and relax! We can never fall! Hey hulk, how do the built in checks and balances keep us from going over fiscal cliff if congress can't work out something with Obama and pretty damn quick?

Spider‐Man;24600763 said:
Awesome! So since the checks and balances are built in, we can all just sit back and relax! We can never fall!

I love it when people put words in my mouth. :whatever:

Hey hulk, how do the built in checks and balances keep us from going over fiscal cliff if congress can't work out something with Obama and pretty damn quick?

I never said they did, just merely pointed out that our system isn't a true democracy in the sense that either Tytler or Prentis were speaking of.

How you're trying to tie that into a discussion on the "fiscal cliff" (buzzword!), which by it's very nature has zero to do with democracy and is a result of the branches of our government checking one another without being able to come to an agreement, perplexes me? :confused:

I love it when people put words in my mouth. :whatever:

Sorry, 'built in checks and balances' sounded synonymous with 'failsafe' as in 'inability to fail'. Could have misinterpretted.

The Incredible Hulk said:
I never said they did, just merely pointed out that our system isn't a true democracy in the sense that either Tytler or Prentis were speaking of.

Technically we're a republican democracy. We are most certainly a democratic society. But technically the points made by both men I quoted could easily, maybe moreso than to a pure democracy, apply to a republic.

Are you saying that it is illogical to say that the majority votes for the candidate that promises the most from the public treasury? Are you saying the country does not in fact exist under a loose fiscal policy? Are you saying that the progression from liberty to abundance to selfishness to complacency to apathy is illogical or deny that we have come thru this continuum and that some have not actually surpassed apathy and gone on to dependence?

The Incredible Hulk said:
How you're trying to tie that into a discussion on the "fiscal cliff" (buzzword!), which by it's very nature has zero to do with democracy and is a result of the branches of our government checking one another without being able to come to an agreement, perplexes me? :confused:

Again this had to do with my interpretation of your checks and balances statement as saying that as a failsafe, the checks and balances would prevent anything happening that could lead to the failure/fall of the country. For you, my definition of fiscal cliff: failure to raise the debt ceiling by the deadline, in December I think.

Spider‐Man;24600627 said:
And you believe what the rest of the planet prefers stems from their desire for what's best for America?

What's best for America and what's best for the rest of the world doesn't need to be opposing values.

Maybe what's good for them is also good for us. And when I say "us" I mean the public and not the rulers.

Depends, other countries have their own interests, sometimes they they conflict with America's interests and sometimes have interests in common with America. Aren't other countries allowed to have their own interests?

Here is the thing, not only was George W. Bush loathed by America's enemies, but also America's allies, is that good diplomacy? During the lead up to the Iraq war, Condoleezza Rice said America should punish France and ignore Germany. France and Germany are America's allies, but that is not how the Bush administration treated them. So why should people in France and Germany like the GOP, when the last time they were in power, they were treated like dirt?

In other Western Democracies, there is the feeling that GOP has contempt for other countries, believing that America is innately superior and all other countries should simply fall into line and not have any interests of their own. Tell me if someone from Russia came to America and had that type of jingoistic attitude, wouldn't Americans feel it was rude and unbecoming?

Many members of the GOP say they are Christians and yet most of them seem to present pride as a virtue and humility as a vice. That seems rather contradictory to what the bible teaches.

lol maybe just maybe it is what THEY DESIRE for their leadership....not that hard to understand..also some know if the U.S goes down, so will the rest of the world...

I have been around the world, and the reason why most non Americans don't like Romney, is because they were afraid he would start more wars, this time with Russia, Iran or/and China, and most of the Western cultured world live closer to those enemies than we do, fearing that they would be hit from opposing countries in retaliation.

When we went to war in Iraq, it wasn't just the US that was fighting, and if you haven't noticed, Benghazi was not the only incident, there were major riots in England, France, Germany and Australia (I was actually in Sidney when the riots broke out in Hyde Park.

Maybe if we stopped dragging other countries into our affairs, they could care less what we do, but unfortunately, that simply isn't the case.

I find it interesting that people are upset and are "disappointed with this country" that Obama got reelected when the people that voted for Obama went through the same thing with Bush 8 years prior.

I find it interesting that people are upset and are "disappointed with this country" that Obama got reelected when the people that voted for Obama went through the same thing with Bush 8 years prior.

I see that people are still waiting for Rush Limbaugh to move to Costa Rica. He swore he'd do it back in 2008, and he swore he'd do it again, but I guess he realizes the job he has ahead of him is too good to pass up.

I have been around the world, and the reason why most non Americans don't like Romney, is because they were afraid he would start more wars, this time with Russia, Iran or/and China, and most of the Western cultured world live closer to those enemies than we do, fearing that they would be hit from opposing countries in retaliation.

When we went to war in Iraq, it wasn't just the US that was fighting, and if you haven't noticed, Benghazi was not the only incident, there were major riots in England, France, Germany and Australia (I was actually in Sidney when the riots broke out in Hyde Park.

Maybe if we stopped dragging other countries into our affairs, they could care less what we do, but unfortunately, that simply isn't the case

Um, you know they do have leadership, just like we do....and we didn't go in and drag them in....they came on in, on their own. Damn, don't blame Bush for that as well........lmao.....so he went into other countries and pointed a gun at their President's head and said..."come with me..." really?

But, I can however say that really your post should read. WE SHOULD be staying out of the affairs of other countries.... :yay: Because as an "isolationist Libertarian" I don't give a **** what other countries think about what we should or should not do...." Probably why I won't be running for President anytime soon....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"