"The Price Of Freedom Is High." The Chris Evans/Captain America Thread

Discussion in 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' started by xeno000, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Raiden

Raiden Wakanda Forever

One thing I think might impact the Cap universe if Evans retires after Avengers 3 is the character of Sharon Carter. I think her relationship with Steve Rogers will only come to fruition after Cap 3, but if Evans hangs up his tights I'm not sure where her character will go.

2. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Well-Known Mutant

I don't see Chris Evans not returning after Cap 3.

3. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze AW YEEEAH!

The way Evans is talking, he's done not just with Cap, but acting altogether once Avengers 3 is done.

4. Suzanne78

Suzanne78 Abs Without Fear

Bringing this over from the news thread, because it's a nice counterpoint from the Vulture timeline:

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/03/26...biggest-regret

Basically he's really grateful for the opportunities Marvel has given him, this time around.

Like I keep saying, there are a ton of things Marvel could offer him if they want him to be happy (producer credit on a future movie, directing a TV show/one-shot, backend deal…)

But yeah, I think he'll fulfill his contract no matter what. He may have several breakdowns getting there… but he'll get it done. Then he might take a break or stop acting altogether and recharge. :oldrazz:

5. Raiden

Raiden Wakanda Forever

Maybe after Evans' "retirement", he can help Marvel shoot some of the One-Shots and make cameos as Cap after Phase 4 and beyond, so they won't have to recast Steve Rogers.

6. mocomic

mocomic Philistian by choice

Evans is playing poker guys. I'm done with acting. Mr Evans will $50,000,000 change your mind.

I'm making a comeback, the script is great.

7. xeno000

xeno000 IRON MAN WAS RIGHT!

Chris must be saying different things to different interviewers because he was also quoted as saying that he would love to continue acting only for Marvel in the future, while he pursues a career as a director. He expressed happiness with the way Marvel handles its films, as opposed to some of the other projects he has worked on. Knowing that Marvel's films are going to be good is what seemed most important to him. Considering what Chris said in that same interview about the Fantastic Four movies, it's clear that the quality of the films is extremely important to him now.

That seems to be what bothers Chris the most about acting, the fact that so many of his films haven't been good and/or have been difficult to work on. He's working in a profession that he loves, obviously, but there are just so many bad rom-coms and so-so action movies one can do before it gets to be a grind. Having to watch what some critics have said is his best performance get nearly buried by the Weinsteins has to be a contributing factor. Everyone wants to be proud of their work, but Chris understandably isn't proud of some of his films -- which is even harder to take when everyone else in the world can judge their quality, too.

8. Suzanne78

The problem in a lot of the interviews, especially with the Variety interview, is that he's kind of sort of saying the same thing, but either worded differently or maybe even responding to a question that isn't included. Like, I thought Chris in the Variety interview really wasn't saying anything he hadn't said before, just worded a little more definitively than the prior interview where he talked about possibly retiring.

But yeah, I agree with your last paragraph. I think it's all coming from a place of frustration with how the movie industry operates, what gets promoted and pushed and received well by audiences and really not having creative control over projects he thought were okay when he signed on. What he said about script readthroughs in that Toronto Sun interview points in that direction.

If Marvel gives him some more control over future projects, or a nice salary/backend increase, or if another auteur director wants to work with him, I have little doubt he will "return" to acting. But even if he decides to direct full time, at least he's going out at his peak; really he's doing some of the best work of his career right now!

ETA: I also think people get confused when he refers to "Marvel" movies negatively, b/c it's pretty clear he means the Fantastic Four stuff. I do think, for the most part, he's happy with Marvel Studios.

Likely too, some interviews could just be given on a bad day, when Chris is feeling particularly grumpy about everything. He's a Boston kid - those dudes gripe about everything. But I still love them all the same.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  9. redhawk23

redhawk23 Wrestlin'

10. Suzanne78

11. Webfoot Hero

Webfoot Hero West Coaster

He's a tremendously likable guy who can act his butt off if given the right material. But the roles that would get him the perfect mixture of critical acclaim and worldwide celebrity aren't matching up for him, due to what studios push. He really does seem to be an indie actor at heart but doing the big movies to keep his career going. As for the griping and his Boston/New England background, I've seen that in enough people from there that it's not even a bad stereotype; it's an apt one.

12. Suzanne78

I lived in Boston for several years before moving to NorCal; I love the city and the people, and the one thing you can say is that they are honest as a mirror! They whine and complain about everything, and I did too when I lived there, and yet I just love them to pieces LOL!

I was having a "Which is worse? Snow or earthquake?" competition with a buddy of mine on FB. God I do miss Boston… :hrt:

13. xeno000

xeno000 IRON MAN WAS RIGHT!

Chris, Scarlett & Sam were in Beijing on Sunday. It's hard to believe that Chris made it to New York for GMA this morning looking fresh and rested after such a long trip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Asr

Asr Well-Known Member

Did anyone watch Chris on Jimmy Fallon last night? It was hilarious! Never knew he had a brother, who came out with him and they told some really funny stories from when they were kids.

The episode's online for those who missed it: http://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/episodes/31

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  15. Webfoot Hero

Webfoot Hero West Coaster

That was pretty cruel prank that Chris played on his brother as kids. Chris knew he was busted and just couldn't get any words out due to him and his brother laughing so hard.

16. TalismanRing

TalismanRing Cyclone Cookie Tosser

I can't upload images yet but here's a link to an album of Hot Toy's Captain America/Steve Rogers figure: It's creepily good

imgur.com/a/SHWYz

17. The Caped Knight

The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

18. The Caped Knight

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  19. Leafy

Leafy Active Member

[​IMG]
    . . . if I had any money.

20. Quasimod0

Quasimod0 Bell-Ringer

It looks just like Evans

21. The Caped Knight

Evans was brillant in this film, he really lead this film well.

22. Jaxon

Jaxon Well-Known Member

I thought he was a strange choice prior to First Avenger but damn he has really done it perfectly. His physique in this one is crazy and really makes you believe he has the super soldier capabilities. Hats off to him, his physical dedication in this film is nuts.

23. warhorse78

warhorse78 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, when he was wearing the wife beater, it was really hard to take my eyes off of certain areas on him.

24. AnneFan

AnneFan Hathaway #1

Agreed. I think he's one of the best on screen hero portrayals going around. The material has been there, but he hasn't put a foot wrong.

I liked his non-answer when Widow observes Peggy's old photo. There's more than just action going on here.

25. TalismanRing

TalismanRing Cyclone Cookie Tosser

There was a bigger ooh and murmur in my audience when he appeared in that tank than during the Bucky reveal.

He's truly wonderful here. Aside from the aesthetics (and in some scenes his face is almost surreally beautiful) and the athleticism and physicality during fight scenes that tops any other super-hero actor I can recall Evans brings such humanity to the role.

He's so believably steadfast, honorable and kind - all of which he makes not only a strength but a vulnerability. His scenes with his "best girl" Peggy and the "to the end of the line" with Bucky" are gut wrenching.

He's now also so believable in Captain mode. I loved his first scene with Fury about how he doesn't appreciate being undermined on a mission and how he confronts Natasha about the same thing.

Oh the scenes between Steve and Natasha - so much chemistry. So much that it really makes it hard to get excited about Agent 13 as a love interest (and I'm already iffy on that because stuff from the comics - like her "killing" him and his kid)