The Punisher ongoing discussion!

cthulhu

Gimme some sugar baby!!!
Reaction score
OK there is no thread for this so there is now! The first two issues are out what have you folks thought of the new 616 take so far?

Personally I've been enjoying it - its a completely different version of the 616 Punisher when compared to the 616 stories by matt fraction and rick remender. Rucka's version is going for a slower build than the previous writers 'bull in a china-shop' approach. Anyway looks like this will be an interesting run, Ive only read Whiteout by Rucka previously which I enjoyed so hopefully this will be a good long run. Interestingly in the letters page it implyed that Max was in continuity and frankencastle wasn't. Fantastic art too! Discuss... :unishr:

I like that Punisher is a force of nature, a silent guardian, a watchful protector.

A Dark Knight. :p Really, when you consider Garth Ennis writing so many stories with awesome inner monologue, it's kinda nice to not see Rucka try to copy that, but form the story in how New York and the Mobsters react to this presence that they only known as: Punisher.

Yeah, I like the outside perspective. Good way to keep the Punisher as the terrifying bogeyman he's supposed to be while still creating engaging stories around him. It sort of reminds me of Gotham Central, to be honest.

Yeah I was worried about the lack of internal monologue as its been consistant with the Punisher for years but the first two issues have changed my mind. Im quite interested in what people think of this version of the Punisher in comparison to previous versions. Never read Gotham Central but its got a good rep.

The only Punisher MAX that I've read was the 'Slavers' trade. I know I should probably jump on to the book, but I slightly prefer 616 Frank. Well, at least the idea of him running around within the Marvel universe is more exciting then a stand alone MAX universe, no matter how explicitly violent and awesome it may be.

I'm enjoying Rucka's Punisher, like most of you said, I dig the perspective a lot. Frank is like a terrifying creature that descends from the sky and severs the mortals for their sins. Haha, love it.

Rucka really is swoon worthy.

I bought the first one but havent had time to read it so far. I'm lookingforward to it though

First two issues in, Rucka has already out gunned Ennis in my opinion.

I like Rucka's subtlety and nuances more. I like the mood and atmosphere in Rucka's stories. Its dark and gritty amd violent without being gross and mean spirited like Ennis and Aaron's work, and I love those guys' work.

Im enjoying the show dont tell approach to the story. Makes Frank more mysterious, and more interesting. It seems that the more you try to make Frank speak, the more you open him up, the less interesting and engaging he becomes. With Rucka's approach, you are left wanting more.

I've enjoyed the first two issues a lot. I'm digging the silent and deadly Punisher Rucka is creating. However, it's a little funny with the two detectives because I feel like I'm watching Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt in Seven. :oldrazz:

In the latest issue I liked the nice touch of having Norah Winters show up and the new Vulture. Wonder how Frank will do against an actual super villain.

I think Rucka said it's diffucult for Punisher with supervillains, because if he starts murdering them, then the Avengers and others will take notice, wheres Punisher can more easily murder countless gangsters and whatnot withouth any connection.

The Avengers are fully aware of the Punisher. A lot of them were against Cap letting him on the anti-reg side during Civil War. They would make it a point to arrest him if they weren't so busy fighting Avengers villains, ninjas, The Hood.:o

I'd love to see an arc where the Avengers finally decide they can no longer look the other way and they come after Frank hard so he has to elude them. The guy can easily play in the big leagues, so it'd be nice to show that via his actually escaping Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

OK #3 came out yesterday and its a pretty awesome fight between the Punisher and the vulture. Another solid issue and good development of the supporting characters, Im especially interested in how the bride develops as she has come through an experience that parrallels that of Franks. She has a similar military background and what happened to her family is as traumatic so is this a soulmate/female punisher here or will she react differently? Things are developing well and Im curious to see where this leads to. This is much more like the Punisher than the two previous 616 series, and again great art!
Also this week is a special bonus Rucka Punisher story in the Spider Island: I love NYC issue. Its short but sweet and again its definatly the Punisher, worth checking out!
To finish Im a longtime Punisher fan (over 25 years) and Rucka's Punisher has won me over, long may this run continue! :awesome:

I'd love to see an arc where the Avengers finally decide they can no longer look the other way and they come after Frank hard so he has to elude them. The guy can easily play in the big leagues, so it'd be nice to show that via his actually escaping Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Yeah I'd like to see this too. I think its strange that the punisher as a character has been about for as long as he has and never met Thor or Iron-man. I dont mind as they are completely different characters but I just think its curious that it hasn't happened before. Excelsior!

The thing with that is, it would be the ultimate act of hypocrisy because Wolverine is still and freakin' avenger. And I'm pretty sure Wolvie's killed alot more people than the punisher has.

Fair point, and yet another reason to f***ing hate that Wolverine's an Avenger now. :argh:

The third issue was pretty solid, by the way. The new Vulture sucks. Glad Frank f***ed him up. Damned good ending too. That has me looking forward to next issue a lot. :up:

I have yet to read the new issue but I hope Frank turned that POS Vulture into a puddle of red goop! That guy sucks the big one!

In his first arc, Remender did the Dark Avengers vs Punisher and built on it from there with the Hood, ect. It was pretty good and one of the few times I enjoyed a Hood story....maybe the only time. I could see it totally working with the regular Avengers although I'm not dying for it to happen. Marvel needs to concentrate on getting the Avengers franchise back on track.

He stabs the Vulture in the head and the chest.
Or, if you don't want to read the spoiler, I'll just say: I think you'll be happy, boulder. :)

Eh, the rule of thumb is if it sucks you can't spoil anything to do with it. I already saw the B/T you did on it and I don't get too worked up over spoilers anyway. Hopefully, no idiot writer ever brings him back. Rucka just earned himself a basket of holiday cookies this X-Mas.

Hey, you still manage to stomach Spider-Man, so you might know this: What happened to Adrian Toomes? I saw this new Vulture and immediately thought he might be a rejuvenated Toomes again (like in the cartoon and, I think, the comics for a while). But then he was all feral and stupid, so I assumed he wasn't. But that still begs the question, where's Toomes and why is he letting dummies who can't form sentences steal his schtick?

Hey, you still manage to stomach Spider-Man, so you might know this: What happened to Adrian Toomes? I saw this new Vulture and immediately thought he might be a rejuvenated Toomes again (like in the cartoon and, I think, the comics for a while). But then he was all feral and stupid, so I assumed he wasn't. But that still begs the question, where's Toomes and why is he letting dummies who can't form sentences steal his schtick?

Toomes is still in the Raft unless he was able to escape in the latest breakout. I don't remember seeing him in the T-Bolts or H4H Fear tie-ins that focused on the breakout.

He didn't seem to care that there was another guy out there using the name. As far as he was concerned the guy was a killer and that was fine with him. He even told Spidey, he would be OK if the new guy was able to be successfully kill Spider-Man. Now that the *****e is gone, hopefully Toomes comes back. I would love to see him in Waid's DD!

That would be great. I always liked Toomes. It never really hit me that I haven't actually seen him in quite a few years until this new Vulture showed up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"