• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Days of Future Past The Ranking the X-Men movies thread

X-Men Origins: Wolverine was simply a bad movie, i don't think there's much to argue around that.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine was simply a bad movie, i don't think there's much to argue around that.

The best thing about it was the opening montage.

Glad to see x2 tops most people's lists
for a while after FC was released, everyone was saying it was better than X2

...which is just total, utter rubbish.

I still like X1 the best.

I always contemplate if FC was better than x2 and then always think "No." I dunno, perhaps it would have been if banshee was storm, havok was cyc and jean was added. But X2 just is my favourite CBM and I dont even think I am being bias over the other franchises. It just worked so well for me personally.

LOL

Total rubbish? What makes X2 that much better, aside from you possibly being biased towards the OT cast.

For me it was the first film that felt the most like the comics.

X2 has a better story, more cohesive narrative, deeper themes, better performances overall, etc.

1 - X2
2 - X-Men
3 - X-Men: First Class
4 - The Wolverine
5- X-Men: The Last Stand

* Origins is tricky cause I don't think I ever want to watch it again, I mean Last Stand no matter how much I don't like it or dissect it, it has moments, it has all my favorite characters, has an amazing score, but I cannot on good conscience put Wolverine Origins on the list cause I really don't care for it.

1. X2
2. X-Men
3. FC
4. The Wolverine
5. Last Stand
6. Origins: Wolverine

Personally, I dont see how 1-3 are even up for debate, and Im not even as crazy about FC as many of you are.

1. X2
2. X-Men
3. FC
4. The Wolverine
5. Last Stand

Personally, I dont see how 1-3 are even up for debate, and Im not even as crazy about FC as many of you are.

I cannot agree more, the amount of agreement is uncanny.

Total rubbish? What makes X2 that much better, aside from you possibly being biased towards the OT cast.

not "biased" toward the cast, in fact I've always thought casting was the biggest hit-or-miss element of all the x-films.

I just thought FC was very seriously let down by poor villains and even worse supporting characters, including too much focus on Mystique and characters I just don't give a honk about. Then there was that whole factor of being told how amazing it was, then I finally saw it and thought it was pretty "meh".

As opposed to X2, where I walked out of the theater with goosebumps and tears in my eyes, impatiently awaiting the third film (which is a rant for a whole other thread)

DOFP soon to be no.1 :woot:

1. X2
2. FC
3. X-Men
4. The Wolverine
5. Last Stand

Although sometimes I like X3 more when I'm not thinking about how it destroyed all the momentum of the franchise.

I think Last Stand, like Spider-man 3, you can enjoy it as a fun superhero action flick if you turn off your brain a little and ignore the bastardization of certain characters (Cyclops, Phoenix etc).

not "biased" toward the cast, in fact I've always thought casting was the biggest hit-or-miss element of all the x-films.

I just thought FC was very seriously let down by poor villains and even worse supporting characters, including too much focus on Mystique and characters I just don't give a honk about. Then there was that whole factor of being told how amazing it was, then I finally saw it and thought it was pretty "meh".

As opposed to X2, where I walked out of the theater with goosebumps and tears in my eyes, impatiently awaiting the third film (which is a rant for a whole other thread)

I actually liked Kevin Bacon as Shaw and especially Fassbender's Magneto. I don't think it's amazing but I really like it. Fassbender and McAvoy were the two best things about it as well as the action in the third act with the Cuban missle crisis. I do agree that there was too much focus on Mystique though. She has had way too much time in this entire franchise, reading the comics for a good number of years...she's not that huge or important in them as far as I can remember.

I loved how mystique was utilised in the OT. I didn't really think of her as a cool character until TAS and those films. FC was different though, it made me a bit like meh with her.

As much as I want to see the origins of most characters. I always liked her in the OT because of her "Mystique", so I would have preferred her origin be DOFP where we see this woman becoming pure villain but never really know what caused her to start that path.

I think X3 is now redimeed by the fact DOFP will erase all the plot things you didn't like. It's a great movie in its own right IMHO.

ehhh idk
even if it didn't ruin the momentum and mess up continuity, it still sucked huge hairy ones
terrible pacing, too much focus on Logan, 2 huge stories crammed in one, stupid final battle where the X-men come off as the badguys, psylocke and colossus and all the other mistreated characters, "I'm the juggernaut", the horrid performance by the guy who played the president, et cetera et ceteraaa....

again all this is a rant for a different thread...

but, I think some people's memories are getting a bit rose-tinted.

As followup to one of best comic book movies ever last stand Is complete disaster.

I remember a back to back they did against the abomination-"Deadpool" at the end. The one in the beginning was probably to bookended that one.

Still from that whole movie, I like the montage best.

X2 has a better story, more cohesive narrative, deeper themes, better performances overall, etc.

I'd say McAvoy and Fassbender are just as good as their older counterparts, if lacking some of the gravitas just due to being younger. And while Hugh Jackman is irreplaceable, XFC was simply fun. It had all the elements of the first two movies (more of the second, as X2 skimmed through the outcast themes I felt in favor for more action set-pieces), plus it had a swinging '60s vibe to it that gave it a quirky freshness for the genre.

Anyway mine go:

1. X-Men: First Class (9/10)
2. X2: X-Men United (8/10)
3. X-Men (8/10)

4. The Wolverine (7/10)

The other two are not worth mentioning.

I loved how mystique was utilised in the OT. I didn't really think of her as a cool character until TAS and those films. FC was different though, it made me a bit like meh with her.

As much as I want to see the origins of most characters. I always liked her in the OT because of her "Mystique", so I would have preferred her origin be DOFP where we see this woman becoming pure villain but never really know what caused her to start that path.

I think I am in the minority of the fan community, but I really liked Mystique in DOFP. It helped that I was already a fan of Jennifer Lawrence from Winter's Bone, but while she was certainly "modernized" she still had traces of being a 1960s character and Vaughn knew how to let her exude that charisma which would make her a star only a year later.

It is a very different character. But like Charles being somewhat callow and a womanizer and Magneto being a pseudo-James Bond, the 40 years of interwoven time (50 years now with DOFP) is so massive that it allows you to cheat with it a little bit. And honestly, as cool as Rebecca Romjin was in the OT, she ultimately plays a bit of a cipher. She is cool and sexy and dangerous. But we know nothing about her personality.

I actually appreciate not only deepening Mystique's "origin," but fleshing her out as a real character. For fans who want to see her act more badass, I am sure DOFP will probably deliver. We will find out in a few weeks.

1. First Class
2. X2
3. X-Men
4. The Wolverine
5. The Last Stand
6. X-Men Origins: Wolverine

I actually hate X3 more but origins is technically, fundamentally an even worse film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"