The Resident Evil Thread

They'll keep making remakes as long as they sell or if they get preoccupied by something else.

I'd say the GameCube remake was a bit more than a shot-for-shot remake.

It had Lisa Trevor and those crimson heads.

But still, its still not really comparable to the third person remakes that came out during the ps4/5/RE engine period.

It had Lisa Trevor and those crimson heads.

But still, its still not really comparable to the third person remakes that came out during the ps4/5/RE engine period.

Yes it is because it was a top-down remake. It had new voice-over as well.

Crimson heads are so fun, miss playing REmake.

They are, and it did add more than the original but it's still a fairly close remake, and to hammer it in again, a 20 year old remake itself.

Resident Evil wasn't remade so much as remastered over 20 years ago then that remaster ported to the last gens (PS3/4/360/One) almost a decade ago. Yes, it was "remade" but it was almost a literal shot for shot remake that added a few bits to it. Again, 20 years ago. Nothing like what RE2, 3 or 4 got.
Tha game was most definitely remade. Nothing about it can be classfied as just a remaster. RE2, 3 and 4 are more reimagining but just bc RE1Remake wasnt a reimagining of the story, doesnt negate that it is in fact a remake and not remaster

The RE1 remake is a complete remake from the ground up. It doesn't use a single asset or line of code from the original.

In other news, if you're looking for something to scratch the RE itch while yoi wait for a RE announcement, I've been playing Maid of Sker on steam and surprisingly solid thus far.

The RE1 remake is a complete remake from the ground up. It doesn't use a single asset or line of code from the original.

In other news, if you're looking for something to scratch the RE itch while yoi wait for a RE announcement, I've been playing Maid of Sker on steam and surprisingly solid thus far.
Signalis has scratched that classic RE and Silent Hill itch for me. The inventory management can get tedious by the end but a recent update has made it easier.

Great soundtrack and the ending stayed with me for awhile. Last horror game to do that to me was SOMA.

Signalis has scratched that classic RE and Silent Hill itch for me. The inventory management can get tedious by the end but a recent update has made it easier.

Great soundtrack and the ending stayed with me for awhile. Last horror game to do that to me was SOMA.
I like Signalis a lot. Haven't played much of it though. I'm about an hour in. SOMA is frictional's masterpiece. It may have my favorite ending in a video game.

Reactions: Gee
I feel bad to say it but I tried the Resident Evil remake recently and I just couldn't get into it. I'm sort of late to the franchise as I only experienced parts of RE: Survivor and RE3 at a friends house as a kid (never owned these myself) and it wasn't until RE2R that I played a game myself and became a big fan. I think RE2R was phenomenal. Played RE3R after that and while I agree with most criticisms about length and Nemesis feeling too scripted, I did still enjoy it. Played RE4R last year and thought it was a masterpiece. Even though I liked RE3R it has the unfortunate position between 2 games I would rate 5/5 and it's easily the weakest out of those 3 IMO.

But getting back to the remake of the original, as much as I like the Spencer Mansion setting and getting back to some of those slow puzzle solving vibes of RE2R, the fixed camera angles and the janky controls just didn't work for me. I'm hoping we get a remake of it in the spirit of the other remakes down the line (camera behind you etc) but I know some hardcore fans would probably be strongly against that. I enjoyed watching gameplay videos of the game more than I enjoyed actually playing it which was a shame. If I had played it back in the day I think playing it again now would have been fine.

Instead I decided to dive into Village. I know technically I should have done Biohazard first but coming off the hype of RE4R and knowing Village has a lot of similarities I figured why not? I'm a few hours in, at the Dimitrescu castle and really enjoying myself so far!

I still haven't finished Re1 remake/ReØ that I both bought for the ps4. The fiXed camera isn't just for me anymore. Though I would play the original ps1 version of RE1/2/3 if it comes to Ps4 or 5, as those were my childhood games.

I like Signalis a lot. Haven't played much of it though. I'm about an hour in. SOMA is frictional's masterpiece. It may have my favorite ending in a video game.
Yeah SOMA is fantastic. It's like the perfect horror game for non-horror fans IMO.

The ending stuck with me for days, weeks even.

I'm enjoying Village a lot so far. Sure it's kinda RE4R "light" and not as good but the return of a merchant, some exploration and a cool setting is great. And while this leans more into action-RE than horror-RE there's still been some spooky segments for sure. Being hunted around the castle by Lady Dimitrescu had its moments of tension and the baby fetus in the basement portion was pretty tense too.

I've been playing Code Veronica for the first time and I'm close to the ending. It's very difficult and the story isn't particularly interesting, but I like the atmosphere and the characters. The gameplay is clunky, but still somewhat fun. It would make for an intriguing remake because the original game is extremely campy, a little outdated, and not scary in the slightest except for a few moments. It also regurgitates a lot of material from the first half during the second half and I think modern Capcom would be able to create something more epic with that, as they did with the new Separate Ways. Overall I'm happy I'm finally playing this one, it has been on the back-burner for years.

Oh finally, the romance story in this game might be the most awkward I've ever seen, these people have negative chemistry and the cheesy romantic music isn't helping. Again, it would be a lot of fun to see how this would be handled in a remake.

Still one of the best boss battle themes.

Finished Village and Shadows of Rose, some closing thoughts as I uninstall the game for now (might come back later to try a higher difficulty and NG+).

Let's start with Ethan Winters. The blank generic protagonist without a face (though technically he has one). Mixed reception among the fanbase. I will say that he grew on me throughout the game and especially the DLC as well. He's not your badass "too cool for school" character like many of the other (great) RE protagonists and he's your average, but capable, dad who is on a quest to fix things with his family. I can see people being annoyed or not liking him much as part of this grand franchise, having not played 7 myself (yet) I have only 8 to go on, but I appreciated him as a "one off" character. He works in this game for this story but beyond this point even if his fate was different, I don't know if I'd be thrilled to play him again. In the end I did feel for him and how ****ty it ended for him - sort of stuck in this hell landscape but at least he saved his family. I do think the great lengths they went to in order to hide his face even until the end were pretty comical though. I get it, you want to keep his face somewhat blurred/distorted (its not the focus) but when he's having his final moments with his daughter, couldn't we at least get to see that?

The gameplay itself really did feel a lot like RE4R to me, you get your treasures, some puzzles, loot, the duke and you get to upgrade/buy/sell weapons etc. The village setting where you also get to explore a castle was familiar as well. I don't think the locations or set pieces were AS good as RE4R, it was a little bit when a band follows up their masterpiece album with an album that's stylistically the same but just a little bit lesser of a version. For me the standout portions would have to be Lady D's castle, the spooky doll basement at house Beneviento and Heisenberg's factory. I did enjoy the aesthetic of the village itself. In terms of weapons I played with the starter gun for quite a while before getting M1911 which I started using instead. I used the first shotgun for a while before I 'upgraded' with the pump action one. The sniper got a lot of usage as well as the grenade thrower. One of my favorite parts of replaying these games is the thought of using different weapons on the next playthrough, so I'll keep that in mind for sure.

Shadows of Rose was interesting. I was a bit on the fence initially because it does 2 things that are generally not my thing. The first is when it feels like a walking simulator and you're just being led on a certain path and the gameplay isn't very exciting because the game just wants you to run from point A to point B and there's nothing in between to do (like look for items or solve puzzles etc). The second is more of a personal gripe I have where you have these hellish landscapes where they put random plot element (in this case the Megamycete) or in the Spider-Man 2 game it was symbiote-goo and you cover a lot of the stuff in that. But the DLC grew on me after you get to the castle and you are set on a path to do things. I kinda guessed who "Michael" would turn out to be right from the get go but it didn't hamper my enjoyment at all. Most memorable part? Again the creepy doll basement of house Beneviento. They found a way to re-use the creepiest part of the main game as the creepiest part of the DLC.

Overall I quite enjoyed the 14-15 hours it took me to play through the game and the DLC. I'm not really itching to start over right away, but I definitely want to in the future.

I'm enjoying Village a lot so far. Sure it's kinda RE4R "light" and not as good but the return of a merchant, some exploration and a cool setting is great. And while this leans more into action-RE than horror-RE there's still been some spooky segments for sure. Being hunted around the castle by Lady Dimitrescu had its moments of tension and the baby fetus in the basement portion was pretty tense too.
You know what, I'm still figuring when I would play this. I have the physical disc for ages and Lady Deathstrike Dimitrestru and that baby fetus keep stopping me to play it.

Finished Village and Shadows of Rose, some closing thoughts as I uninstall the game for now (might come back later to try a higher difficulty and NG+).

Let's start with Ethan Winters. The blank generic protagonist without a face (though technically he has one). Mixed reception among the fanbase. I will say that he grew on me throughout the game and especially the DLC as well. He's not your badass "too cool for school" character like many of the other (great) RE protagonists and he's your average, but capable, dad who is on a quest to fix things with his family. I can see people being annoyed or not liking him much as part of this grand franchise, having not played 7 myself (yet) I have only 8 to go on, but I appreciated him as a "one off" character. He works in this game for this story but beyond this point even if his fate was different, I don't know if I'd be thrilled to play him again. In the end I did feel for him and how ****ty it ended for him - sort of stuck in this hell landscape but at least he saved his family. I do think the great lengths they went to in order to hide his face even until the end were pretty comical though. I get it, you want to keep his face somewhat blurred/distorted (its not the focus) but when he's having his final moments with his daughter, couldn't we at least get to see that?

The gameplay itself really did feel a lot like RE4R to me, you get your treasures, some puzzles, loot, the duke and you get to upgrade/buy/sell weapons etc. The village setting where you also get to explore a castle was familiar as well. I don't think the locations or set pieces were AS good as RE4R, it was a little bit when a band follows up their masterpiece album with an album that's stylistically the same but just a little bit lesser of a version. For me the standout portions would have to be Lady D's castle, the spooky doll basement at house Beneviento and Heisenberg's factory. I did enjoy the aesthetic of the village itself. In terms of weapons I played with the starter gun for quite a while before getting M1911 which I started using instead. I used the first shotgun for a while before I 'upgraded' with the pump action one. The sniper got a lot of usage as well as the grenade thrower. One of my favorite parts of replaying these games is the thought of using different weapons on the next playthrough, so I'll keep that in mind for sure.

Shadows of Rose was interesting. I was a bit on the fence initially because it does 2 things that are generally not my thing. The first is when it feels like a walking simulator and you're just being led on a certain path and the gameplay isn't very exciting because the game just wants you to run from point A to point B and there's nothing in between to do (like look for items or solve puzzles etc). The second is more of a personal gripe I have where you have these hellish landscapes where they put random plot element (in this case the Megamycete) or in the Spider-Man 2 game it was symbiote-goo and you cover a lot of the stuff in that. But the DLC grew on me after you get to the castle and you are set on a path to do things. I kinda guessed who "Michael" would turn out to be right from the get go but it didn't hamper my enjoyment at all. Most memorable part? Again the creepy doll basement of house Beneviento. They found a way to re-use the creepiest part of the main game as the creepiest part of the DLC.

Overall I quite enjoyed the 14-15 hours it took me to play through the game and the DLC. I'm not really itching to start over right away, but I definitely want to in the future.

Village is one of the only games in the franchise to greatly build up emotionally from its predecessor, so I'm glad you were able to enjoy it even without playing 7. That's going to be an interesting experience, going for it after Village. It's a much scarier game, but very cool, one of my favorite Resident Evil games. The DLC selection is excellent as well.

I find Ethan really underrated as a RE protagonist. He's not so much of a dead-eyed badass as most other protagonists in the series, I like his storyline being more grounded and emotional, especially in Village.

Village is one of the only games in the franchise to greatly build up emotionally from its predecessor, so I'm glad you were able to enjoy it even without playing 7. That's going to be an interesting experience, going for it after Village. It's a much scarier game, but very cool, one of my favorite Resident Evil games. The DLC selection is excellent as well.

I find Ethan really underrated as a RE protagonist. He's not so much of a dead-eyed badass as most other protagonists in the series, I like his storyline being more grounded and emotional, especially in Village.
You get a little recap before Village on the events of RE7 and I must admit I already know some of the important plot points through osmosis (like watching youtubers who cover RE a lot, even stuff I haven't played). I think Ethan really grows as a character through 8 and while he initially might feel a bit like a blank face protagonist he does develop through the game and DLC in my opinion. My only complaint in the first 1/3 or so of the game is that Ethan spends a lot of time commenting on the things happening to him like "I cant believe this is happening, It's like a nightmare" (in reference to creatures he faces) and it just made me chuckle considering RE7 exists and he's been through a nightmare already. Nothing should surprise him anymore. :D

I'm intrigued who will be the lead of RE9. I don't want Rose. I want Jill or Claire. It can't be Leon because RE4R was just released last year, and RE5R would be the neXt remake, so it can't be Chris. And those two were the lead characters from RE4 to 6, before the Ethan games as well.

If they follow the 4 year gap of Re7/8, it should come out neXt year.

I liked village a lot, it was a step forward in connecting it to the greater RE universe, but a massive step backwards as a survival horror game. The amount of catering to the RE4 dick riders hindered the game in a lot of ways. The story was also structurally identical to VII. Having both a shop and crafting broke the games balance. I like Ethan a lot but I'm more into the horror side of the series and military characters have never done anything for me.

I want to see a Resident Evil set in a city like the original RE3, if not a town, where you can hop into different locations/buildings, with actual npcs trying to survive the zombie Apocalypse. We kinda got that in the first few chapters of RE6 until the game went to different countries/locations.

RE8 felt too much secluded for me, while RE7 was set in a remote place without too many people.

I feel bad to say it but I tried the Resident Evil remake recently and I just couldn't get into it. I'm sort of late to the franchise as I only experienced parts of RE: Survivor and RE3 at a friends house as a kid (never owned these myself) and it wasn't until RE2R that I played a game myself and became a big fan. I think RE2R was phenomenal. Played RE3R after that and while I agree with most criticisms about length and Nemesis feeling too scripted, I did still enjoy it. Played RE4R last year and thought it was a masterpiece. Even though I liked RE3R it has the unfortunate position between 2 games I would rate 5/5 and it's easily the weakest out of those 3 IMO.

But getting back to the remake of the original, as much as I like the Spencer Mansion setting and getting back to some of those slow puzzle solving vibes of RE2R, the fixed camera angles and the janky controls just didn't work for me. I'm hoping we get a remake of it in the spirit of the other remakes down the line (camera behind you etc) but I know some hardcore fans would probably be strongly against that. I enjoyed watching gameplay videos of the game more than I enjoyed actually playing it which was a shame. If I had played it back in the day I think playing it again now would have been fine.

Instead I decided to dive into Village. I know technically I should have done Biohazard first but coming off the hype of RE4R and knowing Village has a lot of similarities I figured why not? I'm a few hours in, at the Dimitrescu castle and really enjoying myself so far!
Resident Evil 1 was an amazing experience at the time it came out. I still remember reading the magazine previews and reviews about 100 times in the build up. I can remember the exact pics used and it was a crazy feeling to experience those moments in game when they happened.

Makes sense that people playing the game later having played other RE titles and coming back to it might find the fixed camera angles/stiff controls a pain/not as engaging to deal with and the pace very slow.

As a huge fan of the first 2 games in particular (RE2 my all time fave), I wouldn't have a problem if they made a new remake more similar to the later titles given that REmake already exists.

Glad you're enjoying it. :up: It's so good to see RE making a huge return to form and getting popular again with new audiences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"