Homecoming The Rotten Tomatoes Score Thread

Meh. SM2 came along at a time when many of the best CBM were yet to made.

And 13 years later it's still regarded as one of the best. It's holding it's own with fans against SMH here;

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=532023

Even Kevin Feige thinks it is one of the best;

"I think Spider-Man 2 is one of the best superhero movies ever, so that’s a lot to live up to.”

http://www.superherohype.com/news/3...eige-on-the-marvel-sony-spider-man-connection

Our new Spidey, Tom Holland, feels the same;

“Well, I love Doc Ock. I think Spider-Man 2 is one of the greatest superhero movies ever made"

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2017...n-tom-holland-wants-to-see-doc-ock-and-venom/

Then you have other notable people outside the genre like the chap who created Game of Thrones who thinks it's the best Marvel based movie; http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/george-rr-martin-is-tired-810569?facebook_20150722

That's how you know a truly great CBM. It stands the test of time by retaining it's status and popularity, even after a slew of more great CBMs came along.

You're free to think what you like about it. But arrogant remarks like this always tick me off;

Even if you think SM2 is better, it's not *that* much better.

Just because you don't think it's *that* much better doesn't make it a fact.

Last edited:
SM1 opened the door for great comic book movies to be made, SM2 knocked down the door, the supporting framework and the roof. IMO, most CBMs today owe a debt to SM2 for paving the way to this golden-era of CBMs we're currently enjoying.

He's the second best Spidey after Holland. And he's very much existent.

He has no real character as Spider-Man, though, is my point. He's pretty much just the same as he is as his Peter, just less verbal.

Just because you don't think it's *that* much better doesn't make it a fact.

This is ironic, considering that you just posted multiple peoples' opinions, as if it makes my opinion wrong. Lol And I truly don't get the point of telling someone their opinion isn't fact, that should be assumed. Funny though, that you chose to remind me of this and not other posters making similar arguments without reiterating that it's their opinion. I think it's safe to say you just don't like or agree with what I said. Amusing.

Anyhow, there was nothing arrogant about what I said. You taking offense doesn't make it so.

Maguire's Spider-Man had no character. He just turns up, says a couple of lines (if you're lucky) then leaves. Look at the personality Garfield imbues into Spider-Man while wearing a mask. Night and day chalk and cheese.

He has no real character as Spider-Man, though, is my point. He's pretty much just the same as he is as his Peter, just less verbal.

Then he's not the same is he, if he is less verbal. The whole point of Spidey is he is a more verbal and confident outlet. Could there have been more quips from his Spidey? Absolutely.

This is ironic, considering that you just posted multiple peoples' opinions, as if it makes my opinion wrong. Lol And I truly don't get the point of telling someone their opinion isn't fact, that should be assumed. Funny though, that you chose to remind me of this and not other posters making similar arguments without reiterating that it's their opinion. I think it's safe to say you just don't like or agree with what I said. Amusing.

The posting of those opinions was in response to your point that SM-2 came out back in a time when there was not as many great CBMs around. Those opinions show you that in today's climate of many great CBMs, SM-2 is still considered one of the best. And not just by us fanboys.

It's stood the test of time and retained it's status as one of the greats.

Anyhow, there was nothing arrogant about what I said. You taking offense doesn't make it so.

The sad thing is you probably really believe that. Btw I didn't say it was offensive, I said arrogant. There's a difference between arrogance and offensive.

Last edited:
Maguire's Spider-Man had no character. He just turns up, says a couple of lines (if you're lucky) then leaves. Look at the personality Garfield imbues into Spider-Man while wearing a mask. Night and day chalk and cheese.

I wouldn't say that Maguire had no character as Spider-Man. He was rather bland in his delivery. Holland is easily better though...by quite a large margin, imo.

The posting of those opinions was in response to your point that SM-2 came out back in a time when there was not as many great CBMs around. Those opinions show you that in today's climate of many great CBMs, SM-2 is still considered one of the best. And not just by us fanboys.

Umm, the point of my saying that was to highlight that a RT score isn't necessarily proof of a film's superiority. I used Batman Begins as an example because I doubt there are many people who would consider SM2 far superior, which is what the RT score suggests. Thus, the fact that it came along earlier *is* noteworthy and not at all an arrogant thing to say. (How ridiculous). That isn't to say you or anyone else can't think it's still one of the best CBM. That's irrelevant to the larger point I was making, although I happen to think SM2 is overrated and that won't change regardless of how many quotes or links you post.

The sad thing is you probably really believe that. Btw I didn't say it was offensive, I said arrogant. There's a difference between arrogance and offensive.

:whatever: I'm saying you obviously took offense, which is why you said it was an arrogant remark, when it wasn't.

Last edited:
How many more positives is it gonna take for it to hit 94?

Umm, the point of my saying that was to highlight that a RT score isn't necessarily proof of a film's superiority.

This is where the crossed wires are then. Who said it was proof of it being better? The person you quoted simply said it was appropriate that SM-2's was higher because it was the best. Not that it was better simply because it's RT score was higher.

I'm saying you obviously took offense, which is why you said it was an arrogant remark, when it wasn't.

No, I simply found it arrogant, not offensive. If I thought you were being offensive I'd just have reported you. I said it ticked me off, as I found it annoying. I always find arrogance annoying.

Spider-Man 2 is still one of the greatest.

:up:

This is where the crossed wires are then. Who said it was proof of it being better? The person you quoted simply said it was appropriate that SM-2's was higher because it was the best. Not that it was better simply because it's RT score was higher.

Umm, the poster thinks SM2 is better. Referencing its RT score is meant to give more credence to said opinion, thus using it as proof.

No, I simply found it arrogant, not offensive. If I thought you were being offensive I'd just have reported you. I said it ticked me off, as I found it annoying. I always find arrogance annoying.

Lol Uh huh... if what I said was arrogant, then there are a bunch of arrogant posts in this thread, yet you only felt the need to quote me, obviously because you didn't like my opinion.

I know someone that thinks SM2 isnt great because uh, he has a problem with, Doc Ock's sun at the end, and how its not scientifically accurate, and that, putting under water wouldnt work, or something like that....its weird.

I know someone that thinks SM2 isnt great because uh, he has a problem with, Doc Ock's sun at the end, and how its not scientifically accurate, and that, putting under water wouldnt work, or something like that....its weird.

CBMs need to be realistic bruh

Umm, the point of my saying that was to highlight that a RT score isn't necessarily proof of a film's superiority. I used Batman Begins as an example because I doubt there are many people who would consider SM2 far superior, which is what the RT score suggests. Thus, the fact that it came along earlier *is* noteworthy and not at all an arrogant thing to say. (How ridiculous). That isn't to say you or anyone else can't think it's still one of the best CBM. That's irrelevant to the larger point I was making, although I happen to think SM2 is overrated and that won't change regardless of how many quotes or links you post.

:whatever: I'm saying you obviously took offense, which is why you said it was an arrogant remark, when it wasn't.

I absolutely preferred SM2 to Batman Begins. The third act of BB bored me to tears. TDK is the greatest superhero movie ever, though. No argument there.

Umm, the poster thinks SM2 is better. Referencing its RT score is meant to give more credence to said opinion, thus using it as proof.

No, the poster said they think it's appropriate because they think SM-2 is better. They never once said, or implied that it's better because of the RT score.

spider-neil, I'm sure you can confirm this.

Lol Uh huh... if what I said was arrogant, then there are a bunch of arrogant posts in this thread, yet you only felt the need to quote me, obviously because you didn't like my opinion.

There's a lot of opinions here I don't like. The overreactions to the MJ line by Zendaya's character. The complaining about a lack of spider sense. People who say Marisa Tomei is too young to be Aunt May etc. Do you see me calling all those people arrogant?

Joker is right, I don't think Rotten Tomato is a concrete rule of quality. But I'm glad SM2 has the highest score of the Spider-Man movies.

Last edited:
No, the poster said they think it's appropriate because they think SM-2 is better. They never once said, or implied that it's better because of the RT score.

LOL ...which is meant to give more credence to the idea that SM2 is better. There is no other reason to bring it up. I don't know why you keep reiterating that last bit because that's not what I'm arguing.

There's a lot of opinions here I don't like. The overreactions to the MJ line by Zendaya's character. The complaining about a lack of spider sense. People who say Marisa Tomei is too young to be Aunt May etc. Do you see me calling all those people arrogant?

Yet somehow my saying that SM2 came along before many of the great CBM were made is somehow an arrogant remark?? :funny: Please...that's nonsense. What I said is a fact, one that is worth noting, whether or not you think SM2 is the best ever.

Joker is right, I don't think Rotten Tomato is a concrete rule of quality. But I'm glad SM2 has the highest score of the Spider-Man movies.

Thank you :up:

LOL ...which is meant to give more credence to the idea that SM2 is better. There is no other reason to bring it up. I don't know why you keep reiterating that last bit because that's not what I'm arguing.

Are you deliberately ignoring what he said, or do you just like being argumentative for no reason? He just clarified to you above he was not using RT score to say anything was better. He was just saying it was appropriate. Which was obvious from the get-go anyway since that was exactly what he said. You just misread it as something else.

Your whole argument has been baseless and pointless.

Yet somehow my saying that SM2 came along before many of the great CBM were made is somehow an arrogant remark?? :funny: Please...that's nonsense. What I said is a fact, one that is worth noting, whether or not you think SM2 is the best ever.

No, you saying we may think it's better than BB, but it's not by much is what I found annoying. If we think it's better by a little or a lot, who are you to dictate otherwise as though you're speaking some undeniable fact?

Are you deliberately ignoring what he said, or do you just like being argumentative for no reason? He just clarified to you above het using RT score to say anything was better. He was just saying it was appropriate. Which was obvious from the get-go anyway since that was exactly what he said. You just misread it as something else.

Your whole argument has been baseless and pointless.

Sure. Lol

More irony from the poster who essentially quoted me just to throw out a "that's your opinion" reminder. Talk about pointless...

No, you saying we may think it's better than BB, but it's not by much is what I found annoying. If we think it's better by a little or a lot, who are you to dictate otherwise as though you're speaking some undeniable fact?

Oh dear...my comment was not directed towards anyone in particular...it was a general statement, as I think it's safe to say most don't not think SM2 is far superior to BB. And it is no different than anyone else stating something they believe to true. The fact that you felt the need to label it arrogance is utterly ridiculous.

Last edited:
Sure. Lol

More irony from the the poster who essentially quoted me just to throw out a "that's your opinion" reminder. Talk about pointless...

No, that was not my sole reason for quoting you. In fact it wasn't even the main one. As you well know. I mainly addressed your "There wasn't many good CBMs back then" point.

Oh dear...my comment was not directed towards anyone in particlar...it was a general statement, as I think it's safe to say most don't not think SM2 is far superior to BB. And it is no different than anyone else stating something they believe to true. The fact that you felt the need to label it arrogance is utterly ridiculous.

If it wasn't directed at anyone, then don't say it in a post where you are directly quoting someone. But that is beside the point. Whether you were aiming it at someone specific or not, you were making that declaration to anyone who may think it's much better than BB.

Now we're done here. Because if you dig that hole you're in any deeper we may not be able to hear you. Which at this stage wouldn't be a bad thing.

No, that was not my sole reason for quoting you. In fact it wasn't even the main one. As you well know. I mainly addressed your "There wasn't many good CBMs back then" point.

And you responded with other peoples' opinion of SM2, when I was simply pointing out a fact I thought was worth noting, not suggesting that you or anyone else can't consider it one of the best. So yeah, it all goes back to you not liking my opinion and feeling need to remind me it was just that.

If it wasn't directed at anyone, then don't say it in a post where you are directly quoting someone. But that is beside the point. Whether you were aiming it at someone specific or not, you were making that declaration to anyone who may think it's much better than BB.

Huh?? First of all, people make general statements all the time when quoting someone. Secondly, if someone says SM2 is the best and it's not even close, should those who prefer SMH look at the former as being an arrogant remark?? No because most would assume it's the other person's opinion. Bottom line is that you were annoyed at the very idea of my thinking that SM2 doesn't hold up well against some other great CBM. Hence, your list of quotes and links.

Now we're done here. Because if you dig that hole you're in any deeper we may not be able to hear you. Which at this stage wouldn't be a bad thing.

:funny: :funny:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"