The Suicide Squad Box Office Thread

Jupiter's Legacy cost over 200M lol. Compared to that WandaVision did wonders with the same amount of money.

That played a part, but I think the bigger issue is that the general audience got their fill of Suicide Squad, didn't like it, and didn't want to go back

I think the bigger issue is no one wants to risk their life for a Suicide Squad movie. It isn't going to get legs, just like all other movies are not, because the situation is one that people are going to drastically cut back on their movie going, because things are going out of control again.

It is very important to recognize the situation has change drastically in the past month.

August releases tend to have better legs for big films due to less competition. But it was very clear that a whole lot of people did not like that film
BvS had an entire month to itself but it still dropped like a stone

Maybe it's time to put the bias goggles down and admit that SS wasn't universally hated like a lot of people online think it was

I think the bigger issue is no one wants to risk their life for a Suicide Squad movie. It isn't going to get legs, just like all other movies are not, because the situation is one that people are going to drastically cut back on their movie going, because things are going out of control again.

It is very important to recognize the situation has change drastically in the past month.

The film had low trailer views too, I am not saying the pandemic hasn't played a factor, but we can't just entirely blame it for every under-performing film.

The film had low trailer views too, I am not saying the pandemic hasn't played a factor, but we can't just entirely blame it for every under-performing film.

Not saying it would have been a box office smash, but things are much different than F9 and BW opened. That's the thing about a fluid situation like we are in with covid. Comparing films performances is going to be difficult without looking at how the world is doing at the time.

Not saying it would have been a box office smash, but things are much different than F9 and BW opened. That's the thing about a fluid situation like we are in with covid. Comparing films performances is going to be difficult without looking at how the world is doing at the time.

Just playing devil's advocate, but the world we have now was changing in the midst of F9 and BW's release but they still made a profit. But I totally agree with what you're saying.

I'm really shocked at only $12.2 million though. I thought at the very least a respectable $40 million, but yeah this Delta is cannibalizing us.

I think a cheeky, fun, B movie subtitle would've helped this movie, like Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay. Or something like "Suicide Squad: Back for War." lol

I always liked that Kicked in the Teeth subtitle.

Sure, but again, the film got low trailer views too, and those are not dependent on the pandemic. In any case, and I know Robbie did not want this, but I think Harley needed a solo film or a role in a Batman film after the first Suicide Squad. I have always thought that after B v S/Suicide Squad, WB should have gone with a Batman film with Affleck and Robbie.

I'm really shocked at only $12.2 million though. I thought at the very least a respectable $40 million, but yeah this Delta is cannibalizing us.
$12.2 million was Friday’s total, which should put it’s OW estimate at about $40 million.

I'd even go as far to say DC's current approach is far more refreshing honestly. Don't have to worry about every movie dropping easter eggs everywhere to build up a future film or have another superhero piggy backing on a solo characters movie. Individual stories need to return and I'm glad DC is doing that.

I get discussing what people will show up to as an audience or whatever, but there “needing” to be some massive overlap for films to sell is so sad and lame to me. Lol But I do get that it’s a thing. I do enjoy these individual films that are just “small” stories and not this big episodic set up, but we’ll likely be getting that here and there anyway. TSS just did it. I just like the variety DC wants to bring more than anything. We’re getting the best of both with stand-alone stuff and more connected-ish stuff. And they’re leaning into the streaming service stuff heavy with shows and films. They’re just very behind. Surprise surprise.

Those are very different situations. They didn't need to overcome a recent Joker or Aquaman film that the audience didn't like.

You’re not wrong, but my point still stands in that a film doesn’t need to a) be “asked for” (I know it’s not literal, but the idea is nonsense imo) or b) be attached to some bigger thing to be successful. It certainly helps, franchises aren’t new, but I just despise the idea that it has to be that way.

I get discussing what people will show up to as an audience or whatever, but there “needing” to be some massive overlap for films to sell is so sad and lame to me. Lol But I do get that it’s a thing. I do enjoy these individual films that are just “small” stories and not this big episodic set up, but we’ll likely be getting that here and there anyway. TSS just did it. I just like the variety DC wants to bring more than anything. We’re getting the best of both with stand-alone stuff and more connected-ish stuff. And they’re leaning into the streaming service stuff heavy with shows and films. They’re just very behind. Surprise surprise.

You’re not wrong, but my point still stands in that a film doesn’t need to a) be “asked for” (I know it’s not literal, but the idea is nonsense imo) or b) be attached to some bigger thing to be successful. It certainly helps, franchises aren’t new, but I just despise the idea that it has to be that way.

I am not saying that films should be connected or that something new should not be tried. My point was that imo there was no need nor demand for another Suicide Squad film. I mean, is it so important to have two Suicide Squad films in five years?

Just my two cents: I’d chalk it up to two things. One, the pandemic isn’t over and casual moviegoing remains not a thing. Two, all the momentum for franchise films is gone. One big reason for the MCU’s success was that they pumped a new one out every six months or so. Then everything stopped for a year and a half. You can see that in Black Widow’s BO as well as here.

When/if either of these factors changes is anyone’s guess.

To be fair black widow was a joint release. If BW went only to cinema it would have made more than, what it's currently made.

I personally find it impressive that it made 60 million on Disney plus. I think the real test will be Shang Chi, and how that movie performs. Since it's only going to cinema and it won't be joint release.

If Shang Chi over performs and does great, then I think it shows the strength of the mcu brand. If it flops and eternal flops.

But if spiderman no way home does well, then it might be a thing where only the big superhero movies do big numbers, like the batman could be a major box office hit. Despite the covid situation it might be a big enough draw.

Last edited:
If next year doesn't see a significant box office recovery then studios will be panicking. Let's see, for next year DC has The Batman, Black Adam, The Flash & Aquaman 2 whereas Marvel has Doctor Strange 2, Thor 4, Black Panther 2 & Captain Marvel 2. If that line-up won't get people back into theaters then what will?

Agree

If next year doesn't see a significant box office recovery then studios will be panicking. Let's see, for next year DC has The Batman, Black Adam, The Flash & Aquaman 2 whereas Marvel has Doctor Strange 2, Thor 4, Black Panther 2 & Captain Marvel 2. If that line-up won't get people back into theaters then what will?
They probably need to do some cost cutting. I doubt abandoning the franchises would be a good idea but they need to lower the budget so therefore they would get some profit with theaterical releases alone.

I hope this doesn't end the franchise, man. I so badly want a Suicide Squad movie with Deathstroke in it.

To get wider audience acceptance for lesser known comic book properties, a common thread is needed.

They have to build up to some event in the shared universe but for that, they have to maintain some level of cohesiveness and continuity.

Stand alone, solo movies are unpredictable regardless of the movie's quality. Even after 9 years and 10 movies, DCEU is still not getting any benefit of shared universe where lesser known properties get audience by association to a larger universe.

This is due to lack of well thought out roadmap.
And the reason they're not benefitting off a shared universe is because for the last 4/5 years they've been downplaying that aspect both in the movies themselves and it interviews/press releases

I mean just this morning we find out that James Gunn had no idea BOP was even a thing lol

WB is gonna keep losing money and DC will continue to take hits as a brand if they keep releasing movies about lesser known characters with no safety net

It’s rather en vogue for cinema snobs to hate superhero movies because they’re so popular and studios are making less of the independent movies than ever because they’re chasing that hero money, but imagine if these movies didn’t exist? The reality all those movies you mentioned will basically be the medicine theatrical exhibition will need to recover from the Covid-induced box office slump.

Last edited:
I honestly think for the suicide squad outside of harley quinn the movie had no big names or known villians to draw the GA in and mixed with Covid

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"