The Suicide Squad Box Office Thread

Discussion in 'The Suicide Squad' started by psylockolussus, Aug 5, 2021.

?

Worldwide gross?

Poll closed Aug 8, 2021.
  1. Below 250 million

70.0%
  2. 250 to 300 million

30.0%
  3. 300 to 350 million

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 350 to 400 million

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 400 to 450 million

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Above 450 million

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Pfeiffer-Pfan Cool Rider

- No Will Smith (He can still pull them in with the right project)
    - No Joker
    - No Batman in the promos
    - Delta Variant
    - R Rating
    - Free viewing on HBO Max.

The movie was projected to earn roughly $30 million... is $25 million really an abject failure when we take all these factors into account?

I maintain Gunn's services would have been better utilized launching a new property for WB/DC as the gimmick of Suicide Squad has already gotten a little stale, but I still don't think $25 million is disastrous.

MadderMaximus likes this.
  2. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

Birds of prey is still fresh in my mind and I am confused when this new movie takes place.

DlAMONDZ and Holy Slapper like this.
  3. Comicbookguy339 Registered

This is barely beating out Mortal Kombat (25.5M vs 23.3M OW) but has a budget that is 3x bigger than MK's (180M vs 55M).

4. Micromind Registered

5. Micromind Registered

TSS takes place after BoP. In BoP, Harley removes / changes some tattoos and those tattoos look as they were at the end of BoP.

Also, while its true Gunn had no idea about Birds of Prey movie while writing the script of The Suicide Squad, he saw the movie, during the shooting of TSS, and Margot did discuss some of the things about Harley quinn. I assume they adjusted some of the things later.

#55 Micromind, Aug 8, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
  6. FunkMiller Failed Experiment

Shame. But not surprising.

Sequel to an absolutely awful movie, put out at the cinema at the same time as home streaming, during a pandemic with rising cases.

7. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

Well, it should at least outgross WW84 in North America.

8. Micromind Registered

Marvel always seems to have luck on their side.

Sithborg likes this.
  9. Comicbookguy339 Registered

I think Marvel was actually a bit late with Black Widow. AQP2 and F9 were the ones that really hit at the right time.

Tyler77 and Holy Slapper like this.
  10. kguillou Registered

Yeah but even then, BW isnt doing well at the BO either. Every studio’s getting their ass kicked by this. Even F9 which pulled in like 650 mill is probably JUST breaking even based on its budget.

11. Comicbookguy339 Registered

200M production budget, another 150M-200M for marketing. Made 215M in China and the studio gets only 25% of that so 54M. And 50% from all the other markets so 214M. That comes to 268M revenue against a budget of 350-400M. So even that movie has probably not made a profit yet.

kguillou likes this.
  12. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

Black Widow was/is also being streaming on D+ for about $30 per account.... WB isn't getting any eXtra income when their HBO MaX subscribers are watching The Suicide Squad this weekend, unless majority of their new subscribers only subscribed this week to watch TSS. So it isn't just "luck". Wb could have also moved this to the 1st weekend of May or two weeks after F9.

TSS would be lucky at this point to hit $185 million worldwide. The 2nd weekend drop might come close to 60%.

13. SomeOldGuy Registered

14. Comicbookguy339 Registered

15. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

It’s a shame that this movie was slated to come out right now as the Delta variant is surging. I can’t say for sure if that’s the primary reason it’s underperformed but it’s definitely a significant factor, as is its availability on HBO Max at no extra cost. I can say that, at least for my immunocompromised ass, I wasn’t going to risk seeing a movie (any movie) in a theater right now… even one like this that I’ve been craving since the first trailer hit. And honestly… even if theaters were 100% safe and the pandemic was over, I would have still probably watched it at home since I had the option. So if a Gunn fanboy like me watched it that way, you have to believe a lot of more casual fans did as well.

I don’t know what the right answer is here for movie studios. Marvel and Disney found a way to monetize their streaming service even further, which has bolstered their returns but has angered some subscribers and prompted one of their biggest stars to sue them. WB has also pissed off some of their top talent by just deciding to use its tent pole blockbusters this year to boost its own platform. Yet if these studios didn’t utilize their streaming services and relied purely on box office, their films would surely either lose money for the studios or need to be shelved indefinitely. Far be it from me to sympathize with massive corporations but I honestly don’t know what should be done right now to preserve the viability of major film productions. Except maybe a universal pledge to halt the release of ALL content until something like 90% of the global population gets vaccinated.

SomeOldGuy likes this.
  16. DlAMONDZ Registered

WW84 opened back when half of theaters were closed (including LA and NYC) and a vaccine wasn't available and still only made 9m less than TSS on OW

Delta is an easy scapegoat. Also HBO Max isn't some Disney+ behemoth where it could severely dent a movie's theater gross

psylockolussus likes this.
  17. samsnee Ok

I think the last movie also left a bad taste in peoples mouths.

18. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

Yeah, an article I read yesterday pointed out that the marketing may have confused people too because it wasn’t clear whether it was a sequel, a reboot or a standalone. I think the title may have been the biggest issue there; they really should have called it Suicide Squad: Task Force X or something that would differentiate it more from the first film. Just adding “The” at the beginning wasn’t enough IMO, because I remember mentioning it a while back to a few friends who aren’t as up to date on superhero stuff and they thought I was talking about the first one, lol.

But I don’t think we should discount the Delta threat. Again, I don’t know that it’s the primary reason for this film’s performance but it’s definitely a factor.

19. Micromind Registered

TSS is R rated, WW84 wasn't.
    Yeah, very dumb decision to just add "The" before Suicide Squad.
    Between this and "Birds of Prey and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn" might be worst titles they have given, which have contributed to low Box Office.

Iceman and Deck Rickard like this.
  20. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

Yeah, both of those titles are bad (and that’s a shame because the movies are great). Ironically the reasons they are bad are polar opposites; one says too little while the other says WAY too much. WB needs to work with some better focus groups when coming up with titles. At this point, I fully expect to see the following movies on their slate:

THE Wonder Woman

Birds of Prey v. Gotham City Sirens: Dawn of The Return of One Harley Quinn

Aquaman 2: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Speak to the supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Kraken

21. Comicbookguy339 Registered

I personally like the "and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn" part but yeah...how nobody in the marketing department go "we should call this Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey" I'll never know.

22. Detective Conan Registered

23. Detective Conan Registered

10 Reasons Why ‘The Suicide Squad’ Is A Box Office Disaster

24. DlAMONDZ Registered

And TSS came out when pretty much all theaters are open. WW84 not even close

That more than balances it out, no?

25. emc5466 Registered

Mortal Kombat is still the most viewed new movie from HBO max. That’s surprising.