The Suicide Squad: General Discussion and Speculation

It's hard for me to even get into my thoughts on who should direct this without diving head-first into my astonishment that Ayer managed to be so off-base with the first attempt. His prior body of work? Seemingly an indicator that he'd excel at this. The cast? Fantastic. The end result? Motherf***ing baffling.

I liked The Shallows, though.

Just remember to give the guy enough time to do this thang and don't use trailer guys to cut the movie.

How does the directors cut of Suicide Squad compare to the trailer people's cut?

My interest in a sequel is entirely dependent on the new filmmaker's approach to the property. If we're getting another world-ending scenario where the villains are made into "good guys," I'm not interested. I want a small-scale Suicide Squad movie where they have to take on a covert government op. Wiping out a terrorist cell, assassinating a dictator of a rogue nation, stuff like that. And while I have no problem with villains being charismatic and funny, I still want them to be villains. I don't want "good vs bad," I want "bad vs worse."

Hell, make it Rated R for all I care.

Wasn't there an Extended Cut of Suicide Squad released on Blu-Ray?

That's not the director's cut, though. It still has all that weird editing.

There was I think a youtube clip where the original score was kept in instead of a pop song.

How does the directors cut of Suicide Squad compare to the trailer people's cut?

It has 3+ scenes that has the characters interacting with each other, Harley chasing Joker, Harley trying to convince the team to escape from Rick, and Rick and Deadshot having a heart to heart conversation...some others I can't remember right now.

All the drugged up editing at the start are still there, so ya. It's not like BvS UC.

It's hard for me to even get into my thoughts on who should direct this without diving head-first into my astonishment that Ayer managed to be so off-base with the first attempt. His prior body of work? Seemingly an indicator that he'd excel at this. The cast? Fantastic. The end result? Motherf***ing baffling.

I liked The Shallows, though.

Ayer was working under Greg Silverman's team and he had 6 weeks to write the script, competing cuts from Greg's people, messed up editing by another trailer company, limited guidance from Johns/Berg/Emmerich, and changed approach post BvS.

I'd give Toby Emmerich's team a chance with Johns/Berg etc guiding the new director.

I think the casting is the only really undisputed part of the first movie (Leto being the possible exception), so I would've been shocked if getting those two (especially those two) back wasn't the top priority.

This guy has now directed four Liam Neeson films. Which has me thinking...

King Faraday?

Yaaas they should move the shallows into DC continuity and just say the shark in that is King Shark.

Seriously though the director is perfect

The Shallows is the only movie of his I have seen. But it was a really, really good movie. So him getting the sequel gig would be good news to me.

This guy doesn't make anything terrible, his films are so middle of the road. Maybe WB feels good with a C here. Not upset with the idea, but he's not anyone to feel good about either. He's like Luc Besson without any of his pre-The Messenger classics under his belt.

Okay but if Margot Robbie is coming back for the sequel as Harley Quinn then what happens to Harley? I mean at the end of Suicide Squad her Puddin' The Joker breaks her out of prison disguised as a SWAT Team member Joker and his people break Harley out so then Harley and Joker both would be at large they would both be fugitives so then that means if Joker didn't die then he and Harley would essentially be on the run so then what happens to Harley's spot on the team? Who takes her place in the Suicide Squad?

Not to mention with Will Smith coming back for the sequel too as Deadshot then I wonder if this means Jared Leto is coming back again as Joker? Or will Joker get recast?

Okay but if she isn't coming back then who takes her spot

Okay but if she isn't coming back then who takes her spot

Give Katana a bigger role and add Killer Frost to the lineup or just keep the line-up small...

Joker and Harley Quinn are the villains on the run aka the people the Squad has to take down. Maybe they hire Deathstoke to take the Squad out?

Squad includes:
Amanda Waller
Rick Flagg
Katana
Deadshot
Boomerang
Killer Croc
Killer Frost

Would love for El Diablo to return too! But i guess that's just wishful thinking...

Give Katana a bigger role and add Killer Frost to the lineup or just keep the line-up small...

Joker and Harley Quinn are the villains on the run aka the people the Squad has to take down. Maybe they hire Deathstoke to take the Squad out?

Squad includes:
Amanda Waller
Rick Flagg
Katana
Deadshot
Boomerang
Killer Croc
Killer Frost

Would love for El Diablo to return too! But i guess that's just wishful thinking...
I'd replace Frost with Bronze Tiger perhaps. I'd really love to see the SS just focus on Deadshot, Flagg and Waller (and to a lesser extent, Boomer). That trio was just incredibly compelling during Ostrander's run and I'd really love for Smith and co. to delve into these characters as people.

Bronze Tiger is cool as another kinda moral gray to Floyd/Rick. But ultimately not as necessary as really focusing on the above mentioned names.

Yes focus more on Deadshot, Flagg, Waller, Killer Croc, Boomerang and Katana with 2 new members joining that being Killer Frost and Bronze Tiger with the villains being Joker and Harley with their ally being Deathstroke it is perfect

I'd replace Frost with Bronze Tiger perhaps. I'd really love to see the SS just focus on Deadshot, Flagg and Waller (and to a lesser extent, Boomer). That trio was just incredibly compelling during Ostrander's run and I'd really love for Smith and co. to delve into these characters as people.

Bronze Tiger is cool as another kinda moral gray to Floyd/Rick. But ultimately not as necessary as really focusing on the above mentioned names.

I still think Boomerang is one of the lamest DC characters ever (he should have died over Diablo honestly). Bronze Tiger is cool so he'd be a cool addition. Killer Frost is also way too cool to not be on the team! The sky is the limit with the Squad

Nah, the Deadshot - Boomer dynamic is too precious to let go. If they even captured a fraction of that in Suicide Squad, I would've been a happy camper. I think the fact that Boomer is in theory, a very lame and weak villain, is part of his appeal as well within the more cutthroat and professional Suicide Squad members.

Killer Frost is cool, and I'm all for more female characters, but I also just realized some of the more moral grayness that Ben would bring could be used on Katana. Vixen is another choice as well and probably a bit more lowkey in terms of budget compared to Killer Frost.

But ultimately, I want a film that really captures the complexity of these characters. It can be bonkers, but I find that its grounded approach is what made Ostrander's run initially so compelling.

Just watched Run All Night. Rather enjoyed it. Didn't reinvent the wheel or anything, but with what will hopefully be a better story and screenplay, I think this could work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"