BvS The Superman suit Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_n1ztnrheT21smugg3o1_1280.jpg

What about these colors?

That blue is too purple and dark for me. I'd prefer it greener and brighter.

I think the way the suit looked on the on Black Zero was the perfect blue.

I like that Royal blue look, contrasts very well with the crimson of the cape, S, and boots.

What about these colors?

The work is excellent, I am not saying the work is not well done, but I really do not like those colors. I would prefer that it would look like this:

tumblr_mn5c105ytA1soxyseo1_500.jpg

manofsteel+superman+suit.jpg

The filters in the movie drained not even so much the suit but the actors themselves, their skin looked pale and unhealthy.

Man-of-Steel-Amy-Adams.jpg

amy-adams-lois-lane-630x323.jpg

The actors all look healthier without the filters. I don't know if everyone can notice a difference but I really see a big difference in their skin tone.

With a filter:
movies-man-of-steel-henry-cavill-superman.jpg

henry-cavill-man-of-steel.jpg

Without a filter:
supermanbanner.jpg

Superman-Man-of-Steel-Fire-Scene.jpg

I am not saying do not use a filter at all because in a movie that is so heavy on special effects you will need a bit of help, but I would aim for a filter that would not look as washed out because it makes the actors look bad. I don't even care that much about the color of the suit but the actors themselves look bad.

I think you could use some filters that give everything a brighter color, similar to the filters he used for "300", I would certainly not mind colors for the suit similar to this and a similar look for the imagery:

Superman+by+Francis+Manapul_Superman+Thursday+2.PNG

I think the filters for the movie give it a "cold" feel, I would prefer filters that project a "warm" feel. I don't know how else to describe it or if anyone understands what I am referring too. I am not sure how else I can describe it.

I agree. The choice of filter was the films strongest detractor for me. I gets to me every time I watch it.

I like that Royal blue look, contrasts very well with the crimson of the cape, S, and boots.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for aqua blue but a middle ground between that and the more purple blue that was posted. If the suit were more consistent with the following look then I'd be happy:

man-of-steel2-500x253.jpg

As for the royal blue, I've never been a fan of Superman looking like a kindergarten color wheel. There are more shades out there than the primaries.

I agree. The choice of filter was the films strongest detractor for me. I gets to me every time I watch it.

I don't know if there is a better way to describe it but that it looks "cold". Like literally, as if they were trying to convey thru the imagery and the language of the camera that the temperature was cold. It seemed like a filter that would be suited for a movie like "The Grey". Movies set in a warmer climate like "Blood Diamond" or "A Beautiful Mind" have a better looking "warmer" color. In fact, I would love a filter that looked similar to the filters used for the movie "A Beautiful Mind". Although it is not an action movie, the imagery was beautiful.

a-beautiful-mind.jpg

[YT]watch?v=YWwAOutgWBQ[/YT]

I know how many of us feel about SR, but the camera filters in that were warm which I liked- warmer than MoS at least. I know that Snyder probably wanted to convey the distant, lonely aspect of Clark's condition, but I just hope they warm up the lone a bit in this next film - even though Fong has already pretty much confirmed there are no plans of changing the look.

While I agree that the desaturation was a bit too much in the final film, but it was definitely more suited to the tonne of the story, and the themes, than a warmer colour grading.

I don't know if there is a better way to describe it but that it looks "cold". Like literally, as if they were trying to convey thru the imagery and the language of the camera that the temperature was cold. It seemed like a filter that would be suited for a movie like "The Grey". Movies set in a warmer climate like "Blood Diamond" or "A Beautiful Mind" have a better looking "warmer" color. In fact, I would love a filter that looked similar to the filters used for the movie "A Beautiful Mind". Although it is not an action movie, the imagery was beautiful.

a-beautiful-mind.jpg

[YT]watch?v=YWwAOutgWBQ[/YT]

Couple things: 1st Jennifer C. is absolutely beautiful is this film. 2nd the "warmer" look of the movie seems to be saved for when she is in the scene. Otherwise it looks "cold" to me.

But I do see what you are trying to illustrate and I wish for the same thing.

I also know they were desperately wanted to convey a more serious Superman movie for the masses but I think they still could have done that without washing out the color in the movie.

The suit at the very least should have have been (and should be) more saturated.

"You do realize than when you get done saving the world. You're going to clean all this **** up."

LOL this is what I wanted so bad in that scene. Just a little "wink" type of humor would have been great.

Couple things: 1st Jennifer C. is absolutely beautiful is this film. 2nd the "warmer" look of the movie seems to be saved for when she is in the scene. Otherwise it looks "cold" to me.

But I do see what you are trying to illustrate and I wish for the same thing.

I also know they were desperately wanted to convey a more serious Superman movie for the masses but I think they still could have done that without washing out the color in the movie.

The suit at the very least should have have been (and should be) more saturated.

I loved the tone of the movie, I liked that it was serious. If you take movies about demons, possessions, Jesus, angels, resurrections, and even horror movies like Paranoid Activity serious, I don't see why Superman can't be taken seriously. None of those things exist or existed either, so I don't see why Superman has to be taken as a joke. Amityville Horror played seriously in all the movies and we all know those people lied about all that stuff that happened, so I don't see how this is different.

I think the color doesn't have much to do with the tone because "Blood Diamond", "Gladiator", "A Beautiful Mind", "12 Years a Slave", etc. had very serious tones and they all had that "warm" color. I think the language of the camera has more to do with the framing, positioning of the camera, and framing of the shots really rather than the color. The greatest movie of all time plays very seriously and has a terrific warm color to it and it is Godfather. I know that they wanted to convey that this is a serious Superman movie by using the "cold" colors but if you think about all the serious movies without that filter, you would see you don't need to do it.

I think that not only would the suit look better but the entire movie would look better with a "warmer" filter.

Last edited:

What about these colors?
That is just... freaking magnificent. More clear and true without appearing over-saturated or neon. The blue could maaaaybe use just a tish more cyan than magenta, but otherwise... great job. Beautiful

For real? I didn't think anyone wanted the collar. MOS suit's cape attachment/neckline is ideal for me.

I really, really, really don't like the collar (but I think they'll use it). I like the black shield on the cape, though, "in memory of those who died in the Metropolis battle".

Last edited:
tumblr_n28nfm8Bgc1smugg3o1_500.jpg

Wilkinson’s Tweet didn’t specify exactly what images would be coming in the near weeks. But, with Man of Steel 2 being the only known movie project he’s working on currently, and the photographer he references (Steven Simko) shoots images for portraits and magazines— it’s not against reasoning (read: our strong fan hopes and desires) he’s referring to official images of Ben Affleck as Batman, Henry Cavill as Superman, and Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman. Anything more would be a huge added bonus to our already eager-with-anticipation energy level.
source: manofsteel fan page
new suits soon?

OMG+%282%29.gif

Last edited:
tumblr_n28nfm8Bgc1smugg3o1_500.jpg

it’s not against reasoning (read: our strong fan hopes and desires) he’s referring to official images of Ben Affleck as Batman, Henry Cavill as Superman, and Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman. Anything more would be a huge added boner to our already eager-with-anticipation energy level.
source: manofsteel fan page
new suits soon?

OMG+%282%29.gif

Fixed.:word:

Wilkinson talking about Superman suit and the process Henry Cavill had to take.
[YT]RNAOAdyUCgs[/YT]
In this clip the Batman vs. Superman designer answers some fan-submitted questions. There is a great moment at about 1:17 when he talks about the "learning curve" for designing superhero costumes.

Another highlight was when the designer talked about creating a "muscle suit" to use as a base for the Man of Steel costume. Wilkinson said it's not exactly a fun process for the actor, because basically they asked Henry to "take off all his clothes" so they could get a full body digital scan. :funny:

here's the full interview.
Conversation with Michael Wilkinson: Superman - Costuming an Icon at LACMA

Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA) recently gave its Costume Council members, as well as the general public, a great opportunity to attend a discussion with Oscar-nominated costume designer Michael Wilkinson, hosted by Western Costume's Director of the Research Library and Costume Archive, Bobi Garland. While the evening focused largely on Wilkinson's work for the most recent Superman film, Man of Steel, it also provided some wonderful insight into Michael's overall design process and philosophy.
042fea613a173038-CostumeCouncil-20140304-048copy.JPG

Superman- Costuming an Icon. Michael Wilkinson and Bobi Garland. (Photo credit: 2014 Museum Associates | LACMA)​

The event kicked off with a glance at Michael's career. Fresh off an exciting Oscar weekend, he talked about his beginnings in Sydney, Australia, where he attended NIDA (National Institute of Dramatic Art) and gained a great appreciation for the collaborative process of theatre and film costume design. Michael explained how important he feels it is to embrace collaboration as a designer and open yourself to the generosity of others' creativity. He also spoke warmly of his experiences with American Hustle (which earned him the Oscar nod). The film and its complex characters challenged him to think more deeply than ever before about costume, and he called his process with the director David O. Russell, the actors, and his design team, very "special times." And on a fun note, Michael also hinted that he may or may not be involved in bringing a Hustle-inspired fashion line to the public.
44cd458ff81f7393-CostumeCouncil-20140304-054copy.JPG

Superman- Costuming an Icon. Man of Steel suit. (Photo credit: 2014 Museum Associates | LACMA)​

One of the central themes of the evening was the importance of new technology and innovation in costume design. Michael has worked on some of the more visionary films for design in recent years, from 300, which fused minimalism with Michael's operatic roots in Sydney, to Watchmen and Jonah Hex. Michael mentioned that perhaps one of the greatest leaps forward in design technology came with his work on Tron Legacy, where he and co-designer Christine Bieselin Clark could truly follow their passions for finding new ways of constructing costumes. For that film, lighting was built into the costume pieces, complete with battery packs and wiring. He then touched briefly on his upcoming projects, including the soon-to-be-released Noah, and his fifth collaboration with director Zack Snyder, the upcoming Batman vs. Superman. (Everyone there was hoping for a little scoop about the new designs for Batman and especially Wonder Woman, but as the consummate professional- Michael stayed mum on that subject.)
675570873e1da7fa-CostumeCouncil-20140304-050.JPG
Superman- Costuming an Icon. Man of Steel costume display. (Photo credit: 2014 Museum Associates | LACMA)

Bobi and Michael discussed how important costume design is at the moment. Designers are becoming the pioneers of 21st Century art, and have almost more influence on fabric-related technology than NASA. There is a continual need to find new uses for fabric and even invent new materials. Michael strengthened this point, stressing that costumes need to move with the actors, in addition to being seen 360 degrees, on huge screens. With the popularity of sci-fi and fantasy films, the costumes also have an important historical and fan-based context. When bringing iconic characters like Superman to life, designers have a big responsibility, because these characters are important to so many people and stand for so much to them.

Michael shared the fascinating process of creating the Superman suit for Man of Steel. He collaborated with fellow designer James Acheson on the suit, and dedicated the evening's discussion to him, since he was working on another project in New Zealand. The pair started their work by researching Superman's 75-year history. Michael pointed out the interesting evolution of the superhero's look, as decade-by-decade, the suit has had its own historical context, from the inspiration of strongmen in the 1930s to the more relaxed and "relatable" '80s and '90s aesthetic. The one thing that hadn't really been addressed before was why the suit looks the way it does, and so in Man of Steel they set outto establish a strong connection between Superman and his birthplace, Krypton. They drew inspiration from everything from medieval chainmail to beetle wings.
3a88935779a13b15-130619-ConceptArt02.jpg

Man of Steel concept art. Costume designer Michael Wilkinson. Illustrator Warren Manser.​

Michael stressed the importance of illustration in the early stages of the process. He worked with "the most outlandishly talented illustrators" whose work is crucial in helping to pitch ideas to the studios and producers. Digital technology helps create a full picture of the end result. Through Photoshop and illustration programs they were able to incorporate the actors' features and elements like chainmail texture, and even the possibility of CG costume elements.
70b10dce42020961-IMG_1589.JPG

Superman- Costuming an Icon. Michael Wilkinson and Bobi Garland (Photo credit: Brianne Gillen)​
Once the final design was approved, the construction process began - and what a process it was! The team started with 3-D clay models, and then moved on to full digital body scans of actor Henry Cavill, which were used to create a "chromed muscle suit" as a base for the costume. Michael pointed out that a lot of muscle definition is lost with leotards, and so they had to build it back into the suit to make sure Superman looked strong. Collaborator Eddie Yang used sophisticated design software to insert perfectly symmetrical, "alien" details into the suit. His work was then sent to a 3-D printer, and the resulting molds were used to create the eighteen duplicate suits for the film, with more pliable, movable fabrics.
3ae4b53a60186bcf-IMG_1590.JPG
Superman- Costuming an Icon. Michael Wilkinson and Bobi Garland (Photo credit: Brianne Gillen)​
Every element of the suit had enormous detailing and texture. The chainmail-like fabric involved layering screenprints on top of thin mesh. Since Superman can fly, the soles of his boots would be visible to the audience at times, and so Michael and his team even gave them a textured pattern.

0f6dc2105b0d1cc4-IMG_1607.jpg

Superman- Costuming an Icon. Council member costume. (Photo credit: Brianne Gillen)​

As important and fascinating as new technology was in Man of Steel, Michael also pointed out the equal importance of more "old-school" methods of design that were used in the film. While computers made impossible design elements possible, Michael said there is still nothing like putting the costume on an actual human body to see how it moves. In addition, many of the Kryptonian elders and Council members wore costumes that used more traditional design elements. Many of their fabrics were custom-made, and included etched velvet and hand-painting. Their crowns and jewelry involved some beautiful and elaborate metal work. Several costumes from the film were on display in the lobby, and the detail was awe-inspiring when viewed up close. The overall look of the movie was a feast for the eyes, and the fusion of past and future made for a truly stunning design.
61de114b8dff41b8-IMG_1591.jpg

Superman- Costuming an Icon. Lara Lor-Van costume. (Photo credit: Brianne Gillen)​
The conversation concluded with a few questions from students, and some wonderful insight from Michael about his design philosophy. One of his role models is Italian designer Piero Tosi, who really captures the emotional range of the characters in his designs. Tosi brings a "humanity, empathy, and imagination" to his design, and it is clear to anyone tracking Michael’s career that he has the same gift. He finished the evening's conversation on an inspiring note, by talking about the heart of design as he sees it. No matter the time period or setting, the work of the costume designer is to tell audiences who a character is by using the elements of silhouette, color, texture, fabric, and drape - to essentially "tell stories using clothes."
3b085c1a8f688bbb-IMG_1605.jpg

Superman- Costuming an Icon. Faora-Ul costume. (Photo credit: Brianne Gillen)
The evening was a wonderful celebration of costume design, and Michael Wilkinson's many various films are definitely recommended watching. Thank you to LACMA, its Costume Council, and Bobi Garland for hosting the conversation.
By Brianne Gillen. Brianne is a Los Angeles based costume designer. www.GownsBy.net
If you want a good read about the changes of the Superman suit in Man of Steel here is your answer..
http://tyrannyofstyle.com/superman-suit-man-of-steel-costume

source: http://www.henrycavillnews.com/2014/03/hinting-at-costume-reveal-not-so-fast.html and http://tyrannyofstyle.com/michael-wilkinson-superman-costume-icon

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/michael-wilkinson-superman-look

ESQ: And now you're the guy in charge of Batman and Wonder Woman, right?

MW: Exactly.

ESQ: When will those suits be revealed?

MW: I'm not sure what Warner Brothers has planned for that. I know last time when we worked on Man of Steel we released an image of the Superman suit well before the movie was released. That gives us a chance to really control that shot, to light it and make it look exactly how we want it to look. I'm sure they're going to release them well before the film.

ESQ: So they are already designed?

MW: I designed them. I know what they look like. We're in the middle of fittings and camera tests and final tweaks at the moment.

ESQ: How do you approach costuming a character like Wonder Woman who is very iconic but not really present in contemporary culture?

MW: I think there's a huge responsibility we all feel about Wonder Woman. She hasn't been on the big screen in a movie ever. She's been on TV, of course, with the legendary Linda Carter. She's been drawn a million different ways in graphic novels and comic books so we're really sinking ourselves into that culture and educating ourselves about her backstory and really thinking hard about a Wonder Woman who is contemporary and reverberates with modern audiences.

ESQ: And what about Batman?

MW: I talked a lot with Zack Snyder. He has such a great vision for this film, the cinematic universe that we're creating together with the production designer and the cinematographer. It has a logic to it. It's very tight. It's a very gritty, real, contemporary world. That's what I had in the back of my mind when I tried to think of a Batman that works for that universe.

ESQ: So nipples or no nipples on the Batman suit?

MW: I can neither confirm nor deny.

ESQ: I read an interview with Kevin Smith where he said, "There wasn't a single nipple on this fricking suit."

MW: The world rejoices!

ESQ: Will this film have the same Superman suit as Man of Steel?

MW: No, we're doing a few tweaks to the Superman suit. We want to make sure, again, that it's updated and feels fresh and right for this installment of Zack Snyder's comic-book universe.

ESQ: How many suits do you have to make for each character?

MW: It's different for each character, but I think for the Superman suit we had about 18 of them for Man of Steel. There are also some stunt scenarios you have to get ready for. Let alone the wear and tear of a four-month shoot. You have to be ready for anything.

ESQ: You've now worked with so many huge characters, but who is your favorite superhero?

MW: It sounds dorky saying it, but I think it has to be Superman. He was the first. He's the original. He's the guy all the other superheroes are trying to be. There's a purity about him. There's a morality there that's so watertight. I'll go with the best.

A quick thought:

Superman's new suit is going to be human and Ma Kent is going to sew it for him. Think about it, Superman pretty much destroyed Kryptonian genetics in Man of Steel and after feeling alone for his whole life as an alien, made the decision to choose Earth over Krypton. "Krypton had its chance!"

"Welcome to the Planet."

He now feels apart of the human race and will do anything it takes to earn their trust, so why wear Kryptonian-wear? I have a feeling the tweaks to the Super-suit will be more Earthy fabrics and I bet Martha has a hand in it. Just speculating.

A quick thought:

Superman's new suit is going to be human and Ma Kent is going to sew it for him. Think about it, Superman pretty much destroyed Kryptonian genetics in Man of Steel and after feeling alone for his whole life as an alien, made the decision to choose Earth over Krypton. "Krypton had its chance!"

"Welcome to the Planet."

He now feels apart of the human race and will do anything it takes to earn their trust, so why wear Kryptonian-wear? I have a feeling the tweaks to the Super-suit will be more Earthy fabrics and I bet Martha has a hand in it. Just speculating.

They won´t do anything that looks any less fantastic to the audiences than the last suit. Earthy fabrics could end up looking more like an halloween costume next to he previous suit.

That would be too much change for me. I've never liked Ma Kent making the suit. Too cutesy. I liked that it was alien this time.

I honestly think the MOS suit is perfection. I really do. I think they nailed it in every sense of the word. It was fresh, iconic and majestic. I'm just merely judging on what Wilkinson is saying about the progression of the story. The MOS suit and the origin on it focused on him being alien. At the end, they kind of suggested being welcomed to the planet and I'm sure the direction will focus more of Supes being accepted and trusted by the people of Earth. I think if they were going that route, it doesn't necc have to be spandex or the make of a Halloween costume. It could be interesting. Maybe they bridge the two-suits of Kryptonian with a touch of it being humanized.

The colors won´t change. Forget about it. Zack Snyder prefers darker tones. He said it himself. That´s why the suit is way darker than usual.

Alien suit makes much more sense to stick with and to take the abuse... Don't want another Clark on the phone with Ma, "how do I get this bomb stain out?"
Although it would be great for the ladies... his "earth fabric" suit would get shredded to bits every few scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"