The Superman suit Thread

Discussion in 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice' started by John-An, Nov 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krumm

Krumm Beer Snob

That blue is too purple and dark for me. I'd prefer it greener and brighter.

I think the way the suit looked on the on Black Zero was the perfect blue.

2. Llama_Shepherd

Llama_Shepherd Well-Known Member

I like that Royal blue look, contrasts very well with the crimson of the cape, S, and boots.

3. Superman_200

Superman_200 Superman

The work is excellent, I am not saying the work is not well done, but I really do not like those colors. I would prefer that it would look like this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The filters in the movie drained not even so much the suit but the actors themselves, their skin looked pale and unhealthy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The actors all look healthier without the filters. I don't know if everyone can notice a difference but I really see a big difference in their skin tone.

With a filter:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Without a filter:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am not saying do not use a filter at all because in a movie that is so heavy on special effects you will need a bit of help, but I would aim for a filter that would not look as washed out because it makes the actors look bad. I don't even care that much about the color of the suit but the actors themselves look bad.

I think you could use some filters that give everything a brighter color, similar to the filters he used for "300", I would certainly not mind colors for the suit similar to this and a similar look for the imagery:

[​IMG]

I think the filters for the movie give it a "cold" feel, I would prefer filters that project a "warm" feel. I don't know how else to describe it or if anyone understands what I am referring too. I am not sure how else I can describe it.

4. The Shield

The Shield It's really Happening!

I agree. The choice of filter was the films strongest detractor for me. I gets to me every time I watch it.

5. Krumm

Krumm Beer Snob

Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for aqua blue but a middle ground between that and the more purple blue that was posted. If the suit were more consistent with the following look then I'd be happy:

[​IMG]

As for the royal blue, I've never been a fan of Superman looking like a kindergarten color wheel. There are more shades out there than the primaries.

6. Superman_200

Superman_200 Superman

I don't know if there is a better way to describe it but that it looks "cold". Like literally, as if they were trying to convey thru the imagery and the language of the camera that the temperature was cold. It seemed like a filter that would be suited for a movie like "The Grey". Movies set in a warmer climate like "Blood Diamond" or "A Beautiful Mind" have a better looking "warmer" color. In fact, I would love a filter that looked similar to the filters used for the movie "A Beautiful Mind". Although it is not an action movie, the imagery was beautiful.

[​IMG]

[YT]watch?v=YWwAOutgWBQ[/YT]

7. super-t

super-t Well-Known Member

"You do realize than when you get done saving the world. You're going to clean all this **** up."

8. BatFan1979

BatFan1979 The Fan Batman Needs...

I know how many of us feel about SR, but the camera filters in that were warm which I liked- warmer than MoS at least. I know that Snyder probably wanted to convey the distant, lonely aspect of Clark's condition, but I just hope they warm up the lone a bit in this next film - even though Fong has already pretty much confirmed there are no plans of changing the look.

9. gdw

gdw Well-Known Member

While I agree that the desaturation was a bit too much in the final film, but it was definitely more suited to the tonne of the story, and the themes, than a warmer colour grading.

10. The Shield

Couple things: 1st Jennifer C. is absolutely beautiful is this film. 2nd the "warmer" look of the movie seems to be saved for when she is in the scene. Otherwise it looks "cold" to me.

But I do see what you are trying to illustrate and I wish for the same thing.

I also know they were desperately wanted to convey a more serious Superman movie for the masses but I think they still could have done that without washing out the color in the movie.

The suit at the very least should have have been (and should be) more saturated.

11. The Shield

LOL this is what I wanted so bad in that scene. Just a little "wink" type of humor would have been great.

12. Superman_200

Superman_200 Superman

I loved the tone of the movie, I liked that it was serious. If you take movies about demons, possessions, Jesus, angels, resurrections, and even horror movies like Paranoid Activity serious, I don't see why Superman can't be taken seriously. None of those things exist or existed either, so I don't see why Superman has to be taken as a joke. Amityville Horror played seriously in all the movies and we all know those people lied about all that stuff that happened, so I don't see how this is different.

I think the color doesn't have much to do with the tone because "Blood Diamond", "Gladiator", "A Beautiful Mind", "12 Years a Slave", etc. had very serious tones and they all had that "warm" color. I think the language of the camera has more to do with the framing, positioning of the camera, and framing of the shots really rather than the color. The greatest movie of all time plays very seriously and has a terrific warm color to it and it is Godfather. I know that they wanted to convey that this is a serious Superman movie by using the "cold" colors but if you think about all the serious movies without that filter, you would see you don't need to do it.

I think that not only would the suit look better but the entire movie would look better with a "warmer" filter.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  13. Zorex

Zorex I'm 100% 50/50

That is just... freaking magnificent. More clear and true without appearing over-saturated or neon. The blue could maaaaybe use just a tish more cyan than magenta, but otherwise... great job. Beautiful

14. king666

king666 Well-Known Member

I really, really, really don't like the collar (but I think they'll use it). I like the black shield on the cape, though, "in memory of those who died in the Metropolis battle".

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  15. king666

king666 Well-Known Member

:wow:
    It's perfect!

16. John-An

John-An Wonder Fingers!

[​IMG]
    Wilkinson’s Tweet didn’t specify exactly what images would be coming in the near weeks. But, with Man of Steel 2 being the only known movie project he’s working on currently, and the photographer he references (Steven Simko) shoots images for portraits and magazines— it’s not against reasoning (read: our strong fan hopes and desires) he’s referring to official images of Ben Affleck as Batman, Henry Cavill as Superman, and Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman. Anything more would be a huge added bonus to our already eager-with-anticipation energy level.
    source: manofsteel fan page
    new suits soon?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  17. Tra-El

Tra-El Well-Known Member

Fixed.:word:

18. John-An

John-An Wonder Fingers!

Wilkinson talking about Superman suit and the process Henry Cavill had to take.
    [YT]RNAOAdyUCgs[/YT]
    In this clip the Batman vs. Superman designer answers some fan-submitted questions. There is a great moment at about 1:17 when he talks about the "learning curve" for designing superhero costumes.

Another highlight was when the designer talked about creating a "muscle suit" to use as a base for the Man of Steel costume. Wilkinson said it's not exactly a fun process for the actor, because basically they asked Henry to "take off all his clothes" so they could get a full body digital scan. :funny:

here's the full interview.
    If you want a good read about the changes of the Superman suit in Man of Steel here is your answer..
    http://tyrannyofstyle.com/superman-suit-man-of-steel-costume

source: http://www.henrycavillnews.com/2014/03/hinting-at-costume-reveal-not-so-fast.html and http://tyrannyofstyle.com/michael-wilkinson-superman-costume-icon

19. fake

fake Well-Known Member

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/michael-wilkinson-superman-look

20. Tra-El

Tra-El Well-Known Member

A quick thought:

Superman's new suit is going to be human and Ma Kent is going to sew it for him. Think about it, Superman pretty much destroyed Kryptonian genetics in Man of Steel and after feeling alone for his whole life as an alien, made the decision to choose Earth over Krypton. "Krypton had its chance!"

"Welcome to the Planet."

He now feels apart of the human race and will do anything it takes to earn their trust, so why wear Kryptonian-wear? I have a feeling the tweaks to the Super-suit will be more Earthy fabrics and I bet Martha has a hand in it. Just speculating.

21. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

They won´t do anything that looks any less fantastic to the audiences than the last suit. Earthy fabrics could end up looking more like an halloween costume next to he previous suit.

22. MrsKent26

MrsKent26 Whatever.

That would be too much change for me. I've never liked Ma Kent making the suit. Too cutesy. I liked that it was alien this time.

23. Tra-El

Tra-El Well-Known Member

I honestly think the MOS suit is perfection. I really do. I think they nailed it in every sense of the word. It was fresh, iconic and majestic. I'm just merely judging on what Wilkinson is saying about the progression of the story. The MOS suit and the origin on it focused on him being alien. At the end, they kind of suggested being welcomed to the planet and I'm sure the direction will focus more of Supes being accepted and trusted by the people of Earth. I think if they were going that route, it doesn't necc have to be spandex or the make of a Halloween costume. It could be interesting. Maybe they bridge the two-suits of Kryptonian with a touch of it being humanized.

24. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

The colors won´t change. Forget about it. Zack Snyder prefers darker tones. He said it himself. That´s why the suit is way darker than usual.

25. Spamtron

Spamtron THE MAN

Alien suit makes much more sense to stick with and to take the abuse... Don't want another Clark on the phone with Ma, "how do I get this bomb stain out?"
    Although it would be great for the ladies... his "earth fabric" suit would get shredded to bits every few scenes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.