• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Thing (remake)

and i for one would love to see a remake of the thing... don't get me wrong, it's one of the few horror movies that holds up today, but with today's special effects and everything, they could make some pretty disturbing stuff.

Possibly. But cgi has been around for a while. Have you seen anything remotely like the Thing being made by anyone? Remakes are for films that are extremely outdated. This is just hollywood trying to capitilize on anything they can. No one actually thinks they can do a better job than Carpenter.

The most important question is: Is Wilford Brimley available to eat from cans and strangely ask to come inside? He needs to reprise that character if there's a remake.

The most important question is: Is Wilford Brimley available to eat from cans and strangely ask to come inside? He needs to reprise that character if there's a remake.

lol...

...the dude IS still alive, hehe.

So what, There was a remake of the orginal king kong, then sombody made a remake of a remake in 2005.

Peter Jackson's film wasn't a remake of the 1976 King Kong. It was a remake of the original King Kong. The 1976 version was set in the (then) present, and changes details, locations and character names. Jackson's movie is just a love letter to the original movie.

And more to the point, the Peter Jackson version came out in 2005, but Universal had been trying to get their own Kong movie off the ground since 1975. They only gave up when they realised they could not compete with Dino De Laurientis' attempt, which is the 1976 version.

Really. We should be leaping for joy when they do a remake of an old classic, 'cause the prospect of capitalizing on the renewed interest is the only thing that makes it worth the bigwig's while to re-release beautified versions of the classics with tons of cool interviews and features.

FOR instance, pretty much everytime I've gone to buy a new DVD for the past 100 years, I'll look in vain at the F's, hoping to finally find
Flash Gordon (1980).

It's finally out after all these years in a "Deluxe" format, this classic, life-changing movie, finally.
And it's just because there's a new Flash Gordon series on the Sci-Fi network.
Also, a remake's purported to be on the way.

Cool, watch your glossy but bloodless, lowest-common-denominator remake.
I finally get to see FLASH GORDON again. :up:

I feel the exact same way, most remakes may suck, but they almost always put out great editions of the original movie and that's what matters most to me. I can just just pretend the remake isn't there and enjoy my brand new DVD with all it's bells and whistles that previous versions didn't have.

The same thing just happened with the 70's remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, which is one of my Top 10 films of all time, but disappointingly only had a commentary and the preview as extras before.

Uwe Boll? I think studios realize the importance of having a lasting franchise. You need them to survive. That being said I have more confidence in Escape from NY remake as a franchise than The Thing. Monster films start getting old after the 1st pic. Aliens being the single exception however considering the gap between the films it's no surprise...and the director.

I was just thinking....Kurt Russell could actually do this one. He's too old to restart a Plisskin franchise but this one...he could still do.

Uwe Boll? I think studios realize the importance of having a lasting franchise. You need them to survive.

Apparently he has one now, considering that he's inexplicably announced BloodRayne III. Someone tell me how this happens.

As for this remake... or is it a "new adaption" of the original story? ... I'm sure it won't top Carpenter, no way no how.

Can anyone tell me why they never made a sequel to the 80's effort? It's not like Carpenter has ever been adverse to doing sequels.

And can anyone tell me how Ewe Boll still gets work?
They guys films are #@##ing terrible and not even in an Ed Wood funny kind of way either.

Can anyone tell me why they never made a sequel to the 80's effort? It's not like Carpenter has ever been adverse to doing sequels.

Because the film was a failure at the box office. :(

Yes it was. It came out when ET came out and it was a sci-fi horror film. Best film by Carpenter IMO but the public just wasn't into it.

I can't see any way to improve on the original or realise it's concept any better than Carpenter already did.

Well they really didnt leave an opening at the end for a sequel. Of course thats going under the assumption that there was only one alien frozen in the ice.

I can't see any way to improve on the original or realise it's concept any better than Carpenter already did.

I've said the same thing about Halloween, but here we stand with that Rob Zombie remake coming out.

Special effects can be improved upon, but I would prefer to see more physical effects instead of all computer generated effects. Other than that I agree story, tone, setting were perfect.

I'd like to see a good mixture of practical and cgi f/x in this film if it's ever done.

Because the film was a failure at the box office. :(

I never knew that...Considering the following it developed post release though I still think they missed an opportunity.

Well they really didnt leave an opening at the end for a sequel. Of course thats going under the assumption that there was only one alien frozen in the ice.

Well...the tease was right there at the end. Though it was safe to assume MacReady wasn't one of the Aliens (it could and did infect more than one) Childs' most certainly could have been.

The sequel, even now, could pick up with both bodies being found frozen at the base where they lay (it was clear there was no avoiding that for either of them) and once Childs was thawed out all hell breaks loose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"