• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Thing (remake)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JMQXxRhRS6s

It's a roundtable discussion from 1982, with John Landis, John Carpenter and David Cronenberg.

At the 2 minute mark, John Carpenter talks about The Thing, which at the time of this show, he was currently working on. He said that Universal came to him with the idea of remaking "The Thing from Another World", which had The Thing as a "blood drinking carrot". Carpenter said that remaking the thing from the movie wouldn't work. So they went back to the short story and took that Thing, where The Thing is a being that duplicate you down to the cellular level perfectly.

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/exclusive-news-on-the-1982-remake-of-the-thing-5373

Exclusive: News On The 1982 Remake Of The Thing

By George 'El Guapo' Roush on September 12, 2008

Today to I spoke to director Marc Abraham whose new movie, “Flash of Genius” is coming out soon. But he's not known for directing. he's know for producing. One of his future projects is a remake of the 1982 horror classic “John Carpenter's The Thing.”

I asked Marc how can you possibly top the 1982 version and whether or not it is a remake or a sequel. This was his reply:

"This is more of a prequel than a sequel, there is your exclusive. Its going to be taking place in the same time frame."

So I asked him if we are going to find out the origins of the alien and it landing on earth and he said:

“These are the events leading up to the 1982 film.”

As most of you know, "The Thing" is a 1982 science fiction and horror film directed by John Carpenter, and starred Kurt Russell.

The film is about a shape-shifting alien that is revived after being frozen in ice. The alien infiltrates a scientific research station in the Antarctic and kills a Norwegian research team. A nearby American research team investigates the incident and is in turn infiltrated by the alien. Blood, gore and a head with spider legs ensue.

So this means that we get to find out what Norwegian research team went through!!

This is really exciting news as long as they get the story and casting great, this doesn’t sound like a remake but a whole new story leading up to the 1982 version.

Excited? I sure am. Unfortunately I only had a few minutes with the guy so I couldn't ask him anything else on it, but this is pretty good news for fans of the John Carpenter version.

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/exclusive-news-on-the-1982-remake-of-the-thing-5373

Exclusive: News On The 1982 Remake Of The Thing

By George 'El Guapo' Roush on September 12, 2008

Today to I spoke to director Marc Abraham whose new movie, “Flash of Genius” is coming out soon. But he's not known for directing. he's know for producing. One of his future projects is a remake of the 1982 horror classic “John Carpenter's The Thing.”

I asked Marc how can you possibly top the 1982 version and whether or not it is a remake or a sequel. This was his reply:

"This is more of a prequel than a sequel, there is your exclusive. Its going to be taking place in the same time frame."

So I asked him if we are going to find out the origins of the alien and it landing on earth and he said:

“These are the events leading up to the 1982 film.”

As most of you know, "The Thing" is a 1982 science fiction and horror film directed by John Carpenter, and starred Kurt Russell.

The film is about a shape-shifting alien that is revived after being frozen in ice. The alien infiltrates a scientific research station in the Antarctic and kills a Norwegian research team. A nearby American research team investigates the incident and is in turn infiltrated by the alien. Blood, gore and a head with spider legs ensue.

So this means that we get to find out what Norwegian research team went through!!

This is really exciting news as long as they get the story and casting great, this doesn’t sound like a remake but a whole new story leading up to the 1982 version.

Excited? I sure am. Unfortunately I only had a few minutes with the guy so I couldn't ask him anything else on it, but this is pretty good news for fans of the John Carpenter version.

interesting news. Wasn't even aware of this.

But basically, this new film will more or less be the same story as the original, only with the Norwegians?

Actually, it's interesting because they could actually heavily take elements from The Thing From Another World. Hell, they could remake that film almost perfectly. Just change the alien from a vegetable to a shape-shifter, change characters around, and you basically have the same movie as the original 50's film.

Ugh. That would be like making a Predator movie about Jim Hopper's team. You'd know they all die in the end.

It will be compared to Carpenter's movie no matter how you want to slice it. I can't wait to see it though. Scifi horror has literally been non existent for many years now. Btw that youtube link is dead.

The Thing is one of the greatest movies ever made, inarguable. a sequel or remake would not be able to top it. not even meet it.

The Thing is one of the greatest movies ever made, inarguable. a sequel or remake would not be able to top it. not even meet it.
Would you consider 'Christine' to be the greatest movie ever made as well?...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"