The Ugly Americans

No one of those guys who complained about American politics,and ended up moving to Canada or something.:o:confused:

the_joker said:
I like buttered crumpets and a good cup of Earl Grey. :o

I've studied History too, I do know what I'm talking about. The policy of Appeasement comes to mind.

But anyways, Bygones. Let's have peace. :D

fat%20kid.jpg

tsk, you Americans and your McDonalds. :p

Vikings were danish, and viking isnt the name of a peoples, its an action, they were only vikings when they rided the coast, as for all the english being german, allthough the name England derives from the Angles, it was not an invasion persay, more of a colonisation, much like the romans would have done before them.

FunBobPants said:
most English were descended from Roman invaders :confused:

No they werent, most english were desended form the celts and the britons, the romans didnt bring many people over and recruited from the populace mainly.

and where do you think the Celts and the Britons came from?

Actually i think that theydeveloped from the prehistoric peoples thatinhabitaed the islands before that. Why, from whence do you believe they came?

:( i read something on the internet that said they were space invaders from another dimension :(

Dammit, rules out my time travelling irish theory.

I'm disappointed something more productive didn't come out of this thread.

Nothing ever does, people hate us Americans.

(But they still want to live here, idiots)

RogueLDN said:
Actually i think that theydeveloped from the prehistoric peoples thatinhabitaed the islands before that. Why, from whence do you believe they came?

They came from the mainland in the Iron Age I believe, when Celts were spread all over Europe. There were other people already there, the Picts, but they were few in number, and still a prehistoric society when the celts were developing civilization.

Also, Britons were just a subgroup of the Celts. Gaels, Scotti, Brythons (which eventually became "Briton"), and a few others I can't think, were all Celtic Groups that developed once they stayed there, and absorbed the Picts.

Well, if you want to get technical about it, they went to England/Wales, some stayed to be the Brythons and some other groups, the rest went to Ireland and became the Gaels, then some nortern Gaels were ostracized and left back to Scotland to be the Scotti. So as an aside, Scotsmen are social reject Irishmen :p.

But I digress. Then Scandavians came, tried to settle for a bit, then left after spreading some genes around. Some of these mixed people went to Northern France and became Normans, the rest went back to the North Sea. The Romans came, and brought a bunch of Angles and Saxons with them from Germany. The Romans left, with their German mercs littering the place. A few hundred years late, the Normans came back and took control for a while. Everything kind of developed from there.

There may very well be errors here, I'm a tad rusty on this whole thing (I've been a High Middle Ages mode for a while now), but I believe this is all true.

[/Archaeology Major]

deemar325 said:
Cool, know anything about Hannibal of Carthage?

Eh, some, I'm not too up on my Roman-Era history as of late. I used to be better with it. To be honest, as much as I like history, I have a short attention span, and go through phases.

But as far as Hannibal goes, I remember him going up and around the Alps, (with some elephants to boot) and pretty much conquering the Italian country side after trouncing the more remote legions. I also seem to remember something about some oppurtunity that he had to take the city of Rome, but he didn't, and no one knows why. Came damn close to conquering them, and he apparently chose not to. Interesting stuff though.

At the moment I'm reading about a Medieval manuscript called the Latrell Psalter, that's famous for its illustrations and illuminations. More Art History than anything, but cool stuff.
250px-LuttrellPsalterFol202vGeoffLutrellMounted.jpg

deemar325 said:
I hate the Yankees.

The Yankees are the closest team to where I live (Northern NJ) so everyone loves them (well, so are the Mets, but not as many fans for them). I don't follow baseball and I hate them. I've taken to rooting for the Diamondbacks just to confuse people.

Heh, Yankees whew!! I'm just pissed cause the Brave stink this year.

Leto Atrides said:
The Yankees are the closest team to where I live (Northern NJ) so everyone loves them (well, so are the Mets, but not as many fans for them). I don't follow baseball and I hate them. I've taken to rooting for the Diamondbacks just to confuse people.

I'm trying to find a copy of the writings of the Venerable Bede, i'm a big archeaology fan, want to do it after my degree actually. Where do you/did you Study?

Ill try and drag this back to its topic.

Ill start by saying Ive never met an American that I didnt like. Ive found that most of are generous and intelligent people, if a wee touch overbearing.

Living where i do, Ive seen plenty of tourist Americans. there is a marked difference between the younger american tourist and the older. The younger is better behaved and more polite (I suspect this is to do with seeing more of the world at an earlier age, TBH, and i suspect that history is taught with a less slanted view), where as the older tends to be loud, obnoxious and in the main, insufferably arrogant.(course, im english. we are masters of being arrogant and obnoxious.especially to tourists)

generally, the good outweighs the bad, IMO...a pretty cool group.

RogueLDN said:
I'm trying to find a copy of the writings of the Venerable Bede, i'm a big archeaology fan, want to do it after my degree actually. Where do you/did you Study?

I lied a bit :O.

I'm starting at Dickinson College in the fall. But I am going for Archaeology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"