The Ultimate Spider-Man Animated Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Spidey-World' started by Thread Manager, May 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member

I happen to think everyone is wrong on certain things and statements in this thread. I'm just going to respond to the points I disagree on with each person.

Regardless of whether or not someone here is with your opinion or against it, you have no right to tell other people to not talk (a nice way of saying "get the hell out of here") just because they disagree with you. That is an act of censorship. I'm pretty sure the mods wouldn't approve of it if they saw it.

4. I loved TSSM but that is an absolutely biased and unfair opinion. You can't bash on something simply because it isn't something else. You would be no better than the people that bash the Webb's Spider-Man reboot just because it isn't Raimi's Spider-Man 4. You need to critique Ultimate Spider-Man on its own. Saying that it sucks because it isn't TSSM is not valid criticism because you can have a good Spider-Man show that isn't TSSM Season 3.

5. When it comes to Spider-Man alone, this is not a flaw at all. It is actually faithful to the comics in this department. Peter Parker first became Spider-Man in high school in the comics and this show is about a Spider-Man in his early career as well so it makes sense why he is in high school. Spider-Man's high school years are just as important as his college & adult years. This is no "de-aging" or alteration of the character. Spider-Man is at the age he is supposed to be at this time in his career. I can't say the same thing for everyone else though. Luke Cage and the rest shouldn't have been turned into teens.

I also want to point out that TSSM had a high school Spider-Man too yet you never complained about it there and you love the show. That makes you look like a hypocrite.

1. Drake Bell sounds like a really whiny and annoying version of Spider-Man. He may be the worst or at least one of the worst Spider-Man voice actors I ever heard though this may be due to the script. I'll have to watch Avengers EMH Season 2 and hear what he sounds like there in order to draw a conclusion but based on a clip with Spidey in Season 2 that I saw on YT, it doesn't sound any better. If anything, he may sound slightly worse in that show because you can tell his voice is dubbed over someone else's voice.

2. No offense to you but this is a really stupid statement. Yes, it is a big deal that one of Spidey's greatest and most iconic villains was butchered to the point where this version of him makes Raimi's version of him look like Todd McFarlane's version of him from Amazing Spider-Man #300 in comparison. That says a lot.

4. This is true but I recently gave it a thought and feel it wouldn't have made it a difference anyway because Marvel Animation has openly come out and admitted that they prefer silly unintelligent kids shows with not much of an ongoing story behind them, which is why they cancelled Avengers EMH. TSSM would've probably been cancelled either way and replaced with USM or something similar.

6. He isn't a geek in this show and acts nothing like Spider-Man should have. The immaturity is going too far as well. Even high school Spidey would never act like this. As I said before, he acts the exact opposite way Spider-Man should act. He acts more like Naruto as opposed to Peter Parker/Spider-Man. And for those not familiar with Naruto anime/manga, the Naruto character is literally an annoying immature unlikable irrational moronic ****** (no joke lol).

As for him being a SHIELD agent while being on a team and having weapons at his disposal, those are all horribly out of character things for Spider-Man and they don't belong in Spider-Man stories. Including all those things only further prove the writers don't get the character at all which is why they're writing him like Naruto.

7. I disagree. I think they made a show for kids below the age of 6.

2. SoNicRaDiATioN

SoNicRaDiATioN Well-Known Member

For some bizarre reason I'm feeling optimistic about this whole mess and don't think USM will go beyond 52 episodes.

3. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Well-Known Member

Dude it wasn't a command it was more of a suggestion, I should have added the words "don't bother", add the lol sign and say "just let it go".

I am one of those who always tell guys to respect one another and if anyone felt disrespected from me with that comment, I say "my bad".

And Shikamaru take it easy on me huh, calling me out lol

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  4. Spider-Aziz

Spider-Aziz Raul Boston's Dish Gaunt

Anyone saw Electro episode? I didn't

5. GoldGoblin

GoldGoblin Well-Known Member

^
    Yep.You see the classic Electro costume where we get no origin of who he is or how he got the way that he did.Then he gets electrocuted and becomes Ultimate Electro where he was a bigger threat.

This episode was like most of them,crap...

6. Spider-Aziz

Electro is one of those villains I don't like his origin
    I can tolerate his classic origin, and the idea of making him a mutant is even better

7. GoldGoblin

^
    At the end of the episode he is turned back to classic Electro,no more mutant.

8. tdeverea

tdeverea Well-Known Member

You lost me at "no offense to you but that was a really stupid statement..."

Discussion's over for me. Thanks for the response.

9. NCBIII

NCBIII Well-Known Member

I don't think Drake Bell sucking as Spidey has much to do with the script. There are some lines that would make me laugh if they were spoken by Josh Keaton or Christopher Daniel Barnes, but Drake Bell misses the mark. The most recent example I can think of is when he says, "I calls em' like I sees em'!" in the Electro episode. An amusing line to me, but poorly delivered by Bell.

My problem with him is not just that everything he says comes out whiny and forced (as though he has to try really hard to achieve that puberty voice he goes for), it's also that he has no variety in his delivery. He delivers most of the lines with the same inflections and rate of speech, so it all sounds the same to me. He's also majorly lacking charisma, which is essential to Spidey quippage.

10. Spider-Aziz

I don't think he sucks, maybe somewhat underwhelming, but not a sucker

11. spidey99

spidey99 Well-Known Member

Just watched the Electro episode I dvdr'd the other day. It was cool. I laughed a few times. Then again, I'm easily amused. this new cartoon has grown on me. I can deal with it just fine.

Keep On Thwipin'!!!
    Sam

12. Marvel Spider

Marvel Spider An Insomniac.

I agree. When Drake was announced for the voice, I didn't think it was that bad of a choice, and I thought he'd do fine. BUT....his delivery is way off. Like you said, there's no variety. It's all basically yelling in a whiny voice. He needs to tone it down.

13. Spidey_62

Spidey_62 This is so not spandex

I had no idea when I was watching the episode, but Christopher Daniel Barnes actually voiced Electro. :wow:

14. Panthro

Panthro Team Language

My mind is officially blown :shock

15. Spider-Aziz

He did? he kinda sounds like Crispin Freeman in some clips

16. Spidey_62

Spidey_62 This is so not spandex

He did. Pretty random but cool.

17. Shikamaru

Fair enough. Thanks for the response as well.

18. Spider-Aziz

I had something to comment on this episode, but then I forgot it.....
    Oh yeah, the "MY S.H.I.E.L.D. web shooters are AC/DC"
    Dude, these are pieces you just place on top of your gloved conventional web shooters, didst thou easily forget?

19. GoldGoblin

Can't Greg Weisman make Spectacular Spider-Man Season 3 if he calls the show something else?Like The Amazing Spectacular Spider-Man.

20. GamerSlyRatchet

GamerSlyRatchet Well-Known Member

Sony has the rights to the characters, storylines, and all.

Not to mention Weisman can't make something he's not hired to do.

21. Shikamaru

I also feel the need to bring up that Greg Weisman did approach Marvel and proposed them the idea to continue TSSM as a comic book similar to how he continued Gargoyles as a comic but Marvel did not let him do so for some unknown reason.

Not surprised. It's not happening as long as Joey Q is there. Maybe he was afraid its chances of success could overshadow Slott's crappy overrated run on The Amazing Spider-Man which Quesada personally loves.

Damn. It really sucks. Would've been nice to have a good Spider-Man comic book for once. There's been very few to none since One More Day.

22. GoldGoblin

^
    Why won't Sony let him do it?

23. GamerSlyRatchet

GamerSlyRatchet Well-Known Member

Because they can't. Sony gave away the television rights to Marvel.

The only POSSIBLE loophole I can think of is animated DTVs, since they are covered within the movie rights Sony kept, which also explains why Marvel hasn't released a Spidey DTV. Greg planned to go the college years with them, but he could get arcs for each movie. The only issue with that is whether Sony will see the profit with that or not.

24. r0derix

r0derix Well-Known Member

Sony no longer has the TV rights. I don't know the specifics, but the general idea of the deal was Sony gave the TV rights back to Marvel but got to keep the movie rights.

25. GoldGoblin

^
    Your a genius,that would be considered a movie.So lets get this thing made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.