The Dark Knight Rises The Villains of The Trilogy - Who was the best and Why? (SPOILERS)

The Bane/Talia relationship reminded me of Elektra King and Renard in The World is Not Enough.

instead
of
all the
spoiler
tags why
dont
you guys
just
say
Miranda?

You need to learn the fundamental difference between insanity and being a psychopath.

People who are insane would crap in their hand and eat it.

And yet Psychopaths are known to lack Impulsivity in many documented cases.

Imagine that.

A lie that for some reason oddly vexed a large member of society in Gotham for no reason. And made them act out violently against Gotham's upper class.

It's called manipulation pal. Please refer to where The Joker was battling class warfare in TDK.

Why were people so upset resident mobsters or gang bangers got sent to prison under a lie of a Dent act?

Perhaps because they were sent to serve a prison sentence without a fair trial, or the possibility of parole.

It's ultimately sloppy writing when you take a finer look at it, and it doesn't make sense.

I guess to someone such as yourself.

The Joker was mad man, yes ... which makes him far more terrifying. Un-predictable. He was a brutal psychopath.

Yes, unpredictable. Precisely my point.

you dont have to eat s**t to be insane. you can be a fully functioning member of society and still be insane. look at unmedicated skitsos or tyler durden.

She has superiority over him. She gives him ORDERS to not kill Bruce, but to let him die when the bomb goes off so he can feel the heat.

Bane is essentially a bad ass lap dog for Talia.

It wasn't an order.

Furthermore, had Bane been Talia's lap dog, he would followed orders like a good pet. He didn't.

Bypassing the censor is absolutely not allowed. Quoting a post of someone using said foul language is also not allowed.

Please don't use or quote foul language again.

are you talking about me filling the middle of my curse words with stars?

are you talking about me filling the middle of my curse words with stars?

No, I quoted a post from Batlegend that contained cursing. I thought the blackout of the word would help but it didn't. :hehe:

I've come to the conclusion that, as awesome as Heath Ledger's performance is, Talia and Bane deserve to be ranked higher than I ranked them, so I'm revising my list:
1. Ra's al Ghul
2. Bane and Talia
3. The Joker
4. Scarecrow and Two-Face

Talia over Joker ive seen it all.

The Joker. Though I still prefer him perma-white (yes, after all these years) this version became a pop icon. And Heath was legendary. I miss this guy. Not just because his portrayal of Mr J. Scarecrow was pretty cool in BB too but he got a very lame exit. Plus: he was wasted in his TDK's cameo and didn't wear his mask (or a complete costume) in TDKR. Two-Face could have been become really cool, too. But he was kinda wasted in TDK.
I loved Neeson's performance in BB as well though I missed Ra's trademark green coat. Bane was a huge disappointment in my eyes. Not menacing at all.

So, here's my ranking:
1) The Joker
2) Ra's al Ghul
3) The Scarecrow
4) Two-Face
5) Bane

Selina wasn't really a villain in this trilogy. Zsasz had just a cameo. The mob (Falcone/Maroni) was just a bad harmless joke in the Nolanverse. And Talia's is not worth mentioning.

In the source material Bane is a mexican wrestler ... Nolan's Gotham is different.

It's left open to interpretation.

Is Joker insane? Or is he the ULTIMATE realist?

Afterall "he isn't a monster ... he's just ahead of the curve"

Hell his predictions came true from 8 years prior. "When the chips are down ... these civilized people ... they'll eat each other"

And under Bane's revoultionary rule ... they did just that, didn't they?

Insane? Or scary, like he was in TDK, because ultimately ... the villain has a point, doesn't he?!

:o

No ... did you watch the movie?

Ra's Al Ghul wanted to exterminate a whole city. He died, Batman defeated him and his daughter Talia Al Ghul wanted to finish her father's destiny

And her brawn pet Bane, did her bidding because he was foolishly in love with a woman who had no ultimate interest in him as a lover.

Bane got PLAYED like a fiddle. Why? Because he cared.

Joker? He doesn't care about simple things like affection for a woman ... he was an AGENT of CHAOS

You sound like underrating Bane because of your foolishy love for Joker. Brawn pet Bane..foolishly love.. got played like a fiddle? TDKR has none of that.

:whatever:

Bane could have been so much better than he was. The voice, the Talia connection, the lame death. Bane wouldn't be interested in killing Gotham either. It's not his style.

^ I'm surprised you think she's a villain, AnneFan, given your username.

Way back when the first TDKR press release came out, I was one of the few people who was adamant that Selina Kyle/Catwoman ought not to be thought of as being one of the film's villains, and I can now unequivocally say that I was 100% correct in my initial assessment.

Yes, she had allied herself with Daggett (and, by extension, Bane) and led Bruce/Batman into a trap, but those actions do not make her a villain; they make her an ANTAGONIST (and no, villains and antagonists are not the same thing).

To illustrate my point about villains and antagonists being different, let's consider Severus Snape. He spent the large majority of J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series - both in film and in print - as an antagonist, but was revealed to be anything but a villain, and the situation is similar with Selena Kyle/Catwoman in this film. None of the actions she takes in this film are, in and of themselves, villainous, although they are certainly morally questionable (as were many of Snape's actions).

Anyway, I digress. I personally wouldn't have considered Falcone and Maroni as eligible for this poll, and won't be considering them in my answer, so here's how I'd rank the trilogy's villains:
1. Ras al Ghul
2. The Joker
3. Bane & Miranda Tate (tie)
4. The Scarecrow

Could not have said it better. Nothing she did was anything compared to what all the primary and secondary villains in this series were trying to do. And how is she consider a primary villain in the OP and Talia a secondary villain? Who tried to blow up Gotham? Throughout the movie you're debating whether she's good or bad. There's a reason why Bruce/Batman sees good in her.

Ra's al Ghul: Tried to blow up Gotham
The Scarecrow: Develop a fear gas to put fear into his victims.
The Joker: Bring chaos to Gotham, bring a white knight down to his level, and killed cops and judges.
Two-Face: A second away from deciding whether or not to kill Gordon's kid.
Bane: Broke Batman's back and kill anyone that get's in his way. Brought destruction to Gotham.
Talia: The mastermind behind everything and tried blowing up Gotham.
Catwoman: Aid with John Daggett and mildly Bane only to get her criminal records erase. Led Bruce/Batman into a trap, but clearly regretted it and Bane would have most likely killed her to shut her up if she hadn't. Saved Batman from getting shot gun from Bane. Certainly the weakest villain of the series if she is one.

1. The Joker
2. Ra's al Ghu/Bane
4. The Scarecrow
5. Two-Face
6. Talia al Ghul

1. The Joker
2. Bane
3. Two-Face
4. Ra's Al Ghul
5. Scarecrow
6. Talia Al Ghul
7. Falcone
8. Maroni

I didn't include Catwoman because she wasn't a villain in this incarnation. More of an anti-hero.

Agree.

Out of curiosity who do people think are Batman's greatest rogues from the comics?

For me, it's always been:

1. The Joker
2. Ra's Al Ghul
3. Two-Face
4. Catwoman
5. Bane
6. Harley Quinn
7. Mister Freeze
8. The Riddler
9. Poison Ivy
10. Scarecrow

I look thought of that ranking when I saw this thread pop up again and then look at the top 5 Nolan used. I think he really did pull from the very top. It leaves a problem for whoever does it next because they will have to use different characters to differentiate the film. Just a random thought.

Regarding the Nolan movies.

#1. The Joker - Heath's representation was by far the most iconic thing about the whole Nolan series. The Joker's strike against the "schemers" was so explosive, terrifying, and unpredictable... that it'd be hard not to put it as #1.
#2. Bane - Bane stands alone as the trilogy's most formidable foe by far. He's brutal, he's smart, and he's determined.
#3.Two Face - Harvey's journey to becoming Two Face was awesomely tragic. "It isn't about what I want... It's about what's fair!" is one of my favorite lines from the trilogy. I love the Nolan interpretation of Two Face, portraying Harvey as a good man, who suffers and turns bad during the last two, three days of his life. It'll be hard to beat that interpretation of Two Face for me.
**Cat Woman** - Selina Kyle isn't really a villain in this role... but as an antagonist, I'd rank her very slightly below Two Face. She's interesting, dynamic, and fun to watch. Her rise at the end serves as a counter weight to Harvey's Fall, and that's sweet.
#4. Ras Al Gul - It was really well portrayed by Liam Neeson, and the relationship between Bruce and Ras versus Bruce and Bruce's Dad was extremely powerful. In the end, Ra's motivations became a little murky for me. The line that sticks out is, "You burned my home and left me for dead, consider us even." Even though as viewers, we know that Bruce carried Ras to a nearby villager and made sure he was alive. Ras' full intentions always feel hazy... and as a result, he starts to feel like a 2 dimensional antagonist in the final act of Begins.
5#. Scare Crow - probably the best showing of Nolan's realism. Craine is twisted, unethical, clinically perverse, creepy; he's everything that the character ought to be. The only wish is that he could have gotten more time with the mask.
#6. Talia Al Gul - I knew that the twist of her character was coming, and it still became one of my favorite scenes of the series. I rank her lowly, only because she had so little on screen time as a villain, but her role in the story is awesome and well performed.

As for the lesser villains.... Falconi and Dagget are the one's that immediately stand out for me... but it's hard to even place them with the others.

Let me put it this way i loved bane in the film but he's on a different tier than the joker. I would put bane up there with the best comic villain we've seen, him and doc ock would lead that list with him in front.

The joker however is one of the best villains in movie history period. I mean you could take pretty much any of the joker's scenes from TDK and it would rank there among some of the best acting and dramatic presences there have been on film i'm talking the dialogue, the tension all of it.

His "all going to plan" speech to harvey is a super poignant scene.

1. Joker
2. Bane
3. Ra's Al Ghul
4. Two-Face
5. Scarecrow - love cillain's murphy. anyone who was gassed by crane would have assumed that he isn't a threat because of his physique.
6. Talia - worst by far. worst character of the trilogy too.

Last edited:
My favorite villain overall is Two-Face. Harvey Dent/Two-Face could be one of my favorite movie character (not just Batman) of all time.

I have to say the greatest main villain in the trilogy is Joker. The only main villain who did not share the same fate as the others main villains.

I really cannot consider this Catwoman as a villain. I know what she did was wrong, but she paid her dues.

The secondary villains are tough to choose.
I am not a big fan of Talia. Her screen time was really low. Her plot twist was very predictable to me.
I am a big fan of Dr. Crane (a.k.a. Scarecrow). He played that "pawn" role excellent.

In the end, if Two-Face wins for me.

My favorite minor villain of the trilogy is John Daggett. And I also think he was the greatest of the minor villains in this trilogy. I absolutely love that scene when he is flipping out at Bane.

I love all of the villains. I think you can make an argument for any of them. All great actors expressing their characters' unique values. We are blessed to be witnesses.

Overall, Two-Face is my favorite.

Heath Ledger's Joker was not only the best villain of this trilogy, but possibly the best villain in cinema history.

Deffo one of the best.

Joker and Bane for me, stood head and shoulders about the rest, really well written and acted bad guys an example to other film makers.

Ra's nearly got a vote too but is certainly an honourable third.

Only villain I liked was Bane... the others were boring to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"