"The Walking Dead" developed by Frank Darabont and AMC - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know who thought up that shot of Rick and Shane facing off in the field with the moon behind them but I thought it was great. It just set up the whole feel of the scene perfectly.:yay:

The 2nd half of the season has been Darabont free and it's been much better. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Yeah, the guy who made The Shawshank Redemption was totally bringing the series down. :whatever:

Yeah, the guy who made The Shawshank Redemption was totally bringing the series down. :whatever:
He was. The first season was pretty awful. And nothing happened for the first half of this season.

Just because he made Shawshank doesn't mean he's right for TWD.

Looks like it's Hammer time guys.

Zombie Shane came back way faster than most Zombies in the show which was weird.

Also the farmer's wife from the 1st episode where Rick got the horse was shot in the chest which means she came back at some point.

Major quality drop after the second episode. Vatos? The CDC stuff? Awful.

That was a Kirkman episode though, his episodes so far have had some of the worst dialogue in the series. I'd say episodes 4 and 6 were really the only outright terrible ones. 1 and 2 were good, 3 and 5 were okay.

I don't think Darabont was the reason for any of the problems, when you're trying to adapt something that isn't that well written to begin with there are going to be some stinkers. Also, TWD was only in production for month before Darabont got **** canned for no real reason. So I think to say that he was the problem for the slowness of the beginning of season 2 is a bit off base.

To each his own but I've found the 2nd half of this season to much better. As have a lot of other people.

Was brought up briefly on The Talking Dead, was Shane really ever going to go through with it, did he really just want Rick to kill him, he didn't want to live in a Lori-less world, one where he's lost almost all respect from his best friend Rick and basically just tired of it all. The way he was taunting Rick near the very end he seemed to be just begging for Rick to do him in. I'm not entirely sold on the angle, but thought it was an interesting take on the situation.

That is an excellent point. I mean really, even if he killed Rick the rest of the group would never buy his story. Of course, he was so far gone by that point who knows what was going through his twisted little mind.

But in the comic book nothing. As I've pointed out earlier, switching "locations" in a comic involves the artist drawing something else other than what he drew in previous panels. In the TV/movie world, changing locations actually involves...changing locations. Sets have to be made up, likely dozens, if not at least a hundred people have to coordinate.

Like I said, if you have "comic book issues," start a comic book thread in the comics forums. Don't bring that BS in here.

Amen! In comics anything can be accomplished in a couple pages and character development is attained in a few well placed thought bubbles. Storytelling in films is an entirely different beast.

Also, dialog in comics is WAY more over the top then most films because it is also a tool for adding imagery and actions that comics can't effectively portray. Don't get me wrong, i love comics but it is a much different platform.

For those of you hating on Durabont, without him this series doesn't see the light of day. He laid the ground work of everything to date. There was nothing wrong with the first half of the season. It was a grueling set-up for everything that's happening now. It is the way good shows establish longevity.

This is a show about survival. If you want all out zombie action then stick to the Romero movie ripoffs.

I watched the latest episode last night and loved it. Very tense, lot of story progression, and just a really strong, watchable episode.

Rick was great in last night's episode. Sometimes, for all his conflicting ideals and his role as the very humane 'leader' of the group, you forget that this guy was a cop for most of his life - and is thus very good at reading situations like the one he was in with Shane. He knew from very early on that Shane was up to something, you could tell by the way Rick looked at him. And you forget also that sometimes Rick is just a badass. He's every bit as dangerous as Shane was, but this is often masked by him trying to do the right thing. The only difference is that Rick wasn't mentally unhinged and he knows when to use force. In the last few episodes, not only did he manage to eliminate the 2 randomers about to shoot him in the bar, but also took on a large group of walkers before saving Shane (which, in retrospect, was in vain......) and finally, dealt with Shane himself.

I have to admit, when Rick was holding his gun towards Shane and telling him they could work it out and head back to the farm together, you could see a very faint glimmer of hope in Shane's eyes. It was typical good old Rick - always ready to forgive, always ready to see the good in people, always ready to do the right thing. Only this time, he plunged a knife into Shane. Did he forgive? No. But he (arguably) did do the right thing, and there was really no good in Shane to be seen anymore.

It's worth adding also that Jon Bernthal who played Shane has been really fantastic in his role. He's been more than convincing as a guy who started out as Rick's best friend, before heading down this slippery slope towards a kind of madness. And all in, it's never been black or white - there's always been mixed things going in his head, a kind of chaos where part of him still cared for Rick and everyone else, but part of him had become this tainted, ruthless survivor ....... with the bad part growing stronger every week, before things finally came to a head this week and he was ready to execute his best friend. A really great performance.

Seeing Shane change into a kind of psychopath over the last season has reminded me a lot of the characters in Lord of The Flies. Some of them simply couldn't handle life without normality, law and society, and gave in to their base instincts - survival of the fittest.

My only complaint....The search for Randall and the Rick / Shane / Carl conclusion was too damn dark! A little bit more effort in lighting those scenes would have been appreciated....after all it was a full moon.

Looks like it's Hammer time guys.

Zombie Shane came back way faster than most Zombies in the show which was weird..

Not really. Remember the CDC Doctor showing them the video/CT scan of his wife and how quickly she went from dead to being reanimated? The only one who seemingly took a long time to come back was Andrea's sister and that may be because she died slowly from being bitten.

My only complaint....The search for Randall and the Rick / Shane / Carl conclusion was too damn dark! A little bit more effort in lighting those scenes would have been appreciated....after all it was a full moon.

I thought it was as bright as could be for a night scene. Were you watching on TV or computer? Maybe contrast settings need changed, I had to reset mine a few weeks back when I noticed night scenes in some programs were very hard to see.

That was a Kirkman episode though, his episodes so far have had some of the worst dialogue in the series. I'd say episodes 4 and 6 were really the only outright terrible ones. 1 and 2 were good, 3 and 5 were okay.

I don't think Darabont was the reason for any of the problems, when you're trying to adapt something that isn't that well written to begin with there are going to be some stinkers. Also, TWD was only in production for month before Darabont got **** canned for no real reason. So I think to say that he was the problem for the slowness of the beginning of season 2 is a bit off base.

No, half of the season was written and filmed under Darabont before he was canned. So I think you really can put a bit of blame on Darabont. Mazzara didn't take over until episode 8. Filming for season 2 began late April or early May. Darabont was canned July.

I personally think Glen Mazzara is doing a much better job. But we can't really make a final judgement until season three when he has control over an entire season. A tripled season at that.

Last edited:
Not really. Remember the CDC Doctor showing them the video/CT scan of his wife and how quickly she went from dead to being reanimated? The only one who seemingly took a long time to come back was Andrea's sister and that may be because she died slowly from being bitten.

Shortest recorded was 8 mins, longest was like 12hrs.

Shane reanimated in like 2 mins. That just seemed like a rush job for the sake of Carl shooting zombie Shane. Rick killing Shane to me was much better than Carl doing it. But I def think the killing should have happened earlier, Rick comes back, there's questions of where Shane is. That would have created more chaos, and opened the show up to the "everyone is infected" reveal much better. Similar to the comics, where Rick goes back.

Rick could have gone back and watched Shane turn, and pulled an Andrea where he I guess had a confessional time with Zombie Shane. And we learn that Carl followed and then shoots Zombie Shane.

It would have been better for Shane to have either been killed the end of episode 11 or mid way through 12 and then he reappears.

Because I don't think Amy was actually dead that long. I think it'd only been a few hours. 8 at the most.

Shortest recorded was 8 mins, longest was like 12hrs.

Shane reanimated in like 2 mins. That just seemed like a rush job for the sake of Carl shooting zombie Shane. Rick killing Shane to me was much better than Carl doing it. But I def think the killing should have happened earlier, Rick comes back, there's questions of where Shane is. That would have created more chaos, and opened the show up to the "everyone is infected" reveal much better. Similar to the comics, where Rick goes back.

Rick could have gone back and watched Shane turn, and pulled an Andrea where he I guess had a confessional time with Zombie Shane. And we learn that Carl followed and then shoots Zombie Shane.

It would have been better for Shane to have either been killed the end of episode 11 or mid way through 12 and then he reappears.

Because I don't think Amy was actually dead that long. I think it'd only been a few hours. 8 at the most.

I think it has already been stated that it can be anywhere from a few minutes to hours to come back as a Zombie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"