The "who would have been a better Venom" thread.

walternewell said:
Maybe I should keep my ideas to myself right now...
If you can express your ideas without personalinsults, you should be ok. :up:

ges681 said:
That sentence describes me and Im happy with the choices he made.
Thinks its better than a massive, all-muscle bad actor.

It didn't have to be an either/or situation. We should have gotten both. It wouldn't have been hard.

^ It would have. You havent been able to name someone who fits your description. Sorry, Michael Clark Duncan DOES NOT fit the bill.

Doc Ock said:
49erVenom you should get a moderator in here to put these two trolls in their place. God knows there's enough of them about. You shouldn't have to put up with this kind of nonsense just because you don't agree with the masses.

I pulled myself out of the Topher/Eddie thread to try to calm things down. People were reacting to me like I had barbequed kittens into front of pre-schoolers. I thought that would do the trick but it looks like Dog Lips had to lay down the law.

ges681 said:
^ It would have. You havent been able to name someone who fits your description. Sorry, Michael Clark Duncan DOES NOT fit the bill.

MCD would have far surpassed Topher. Not only does he have a build like Brock, he has a much greater resume than Topher. Look at the first two posts in this thread--Tangled Web and I named several actors that would have been a better Venom.

ges681 said:
How about Mickey Rourke?

Thanks to the mod that cleaned that up. My comp like puked all over the thread.

Tangled Web said:
Thanks to the mod that cleaned that up. My comp like puked all over the thread.

LOL!! It was worth it for that image.:up:

DOG LIPS said:
You posted 137 times. :mad:
Are you serious? Wow. I turned my computer off right after. I'm so trigger happy that sometimes I'll forget and jsut start beating the hell out of the mouse clicker.

49erVenom said:
MCD would have far surpassed Topher.

lol I sooo dont see that. We havent even seen Graces performance and were ready to force fit an actor that looks more like Apocalypse lol

XCharlieX said:
lol I sooo dont see that. We havent even seen Graces performance and were ready to force fit an actor that looks more like Apocalypse lol

After seeing MCD's performances in Daredevil, The Whole 9 Yards, The Green Mile, Planet of the Apes and Scorpion King, it's obvious to me that he would be just fine as Venom. Duncan is an amazing performer.There might be a few ( very few ) actors that would be better for the role but at least MCD looks and sounds like a grown man. Topher would blend in to any of the band camp scenes from the American Pie franchise.

49erVenom said:
After seeing MCD's performances in Daredevil, The Whole 9 Yards, The Green Mile, Planet of the Apes and Scorpion King, it's obvious to me that he would be just fine as Venom. Duncan is an amazing performer.There might be a few ( very few ) actors that would be better for the role but at least MCD looks and sounds like a grown man. Topher would blend in to any of the band camp scenes from the American Pie franchise.

Daredevil and Scorpion King sucked. Not even MCD "talented acting ability" could have saved these flicks.

Green Mile and Planter of the Apes had more of a serious tone to the movies. Was good in these flicks but not comparable to acting in Spiderman.

The Whole 9 Yards was a comedy.

You can't use any of those to say he would fit this role perfectly.

That would be like using Pleasentville to judge if Tobey would have made a good Spiderman. You wouldnt have known he fit into this type of role until after it came out. Its the same with Topher, you wont know until after the movie. Then we'll all see once and for all who was right.

ges681 said:
Daredevil and Scorpion King sucked. Not even MCD "talented acting ability" could have saved these flicks.

Green Mile and Planter of the Apes had more of a serious tone to the movies. Was good in these flicks but not comparable to acting in Spiderman.

The Whole 9 Yards was a comedy.

You can't use any of those to say he would fit this role perfectly.

In Daredevil, MCD played comic book villain and might have been the highlight of the movie. In Scorpion King, he played a warrior and had some awesome fight scenes with the Rock. In Green Mile, he played a character with supernatural abilities while displaying incredible emotional range. In POTA and TWNY, he played villians with twisted but strict moral codes.
In some way, each one of these characters resembled Eddie Brock/Venom much more than Topher's most famous role as a horny teen-ager on That 70's Crap. So, again I contend that MCD would have been a far better choice than Grace.

Tangled Web said:
What About Mickey Rourke!!?

Considering his role in Sin City, is there any doubt he could have pulled it off? As you and I have stated time and again, it's not hard to put together a list of actors that would have been far better prepared than Topher soley from an acting standpoint.

I have no problem with Topher Grace playing Eddie Brock. My concern is how he'll be used when it comes down to playing Venom. Venom, as a character, is a merger of Eddie Brock and the alien costume, who are both seperate characters. Brock is vengeful and angry because Spider-Man screwed up his life (In the comics, anyway. I'm not sure how it'll go in the movie.), and the symbiote is ticked off about being rejected by it's preferred host. The result of their merging is the monstrous Venom, who is a physical embodiment of their combined bitterness and hatred.
This brings me to my concern of what they're going to do in regards to portraying that. How much of a role will Grace have in regards to playing Venom. Because not only would he have to show the characteristics of Eddie Brock, he'd also have to be able to factor in the symbiote's role in Venom's personality.

That said, I'm not sure if some of these suggestions would pull this off. Michael Clarke Duncan is a very good actor, but I'm not sure if he'd really fit the bill. He might very well be a good Brock, but would he be able to portray the alien side, as well? Some people might not consider that important, but I think it's very important that we see that Venom is the result of two personalities combined, and both need to be represented in the performance.

^ Well said...
I was never saying MCD wasnt a good actor. Ive said several times he;s damn good, just not fot this role. Like Demon said, he might not be able to pull of this character which is probably the most complex to the movie. I have seen the movie just like anyone else so who knows if Topher did or didnt pull it off, but Im just stating my confidence that he could pull it off.

Démon said:
I have no problem with Topher Grace playing Eddie Brock. My concern is how he'll be used when it comes down to playing Venom. Venom, as a character, is a merger of Eddie Brock and the alien costume, who are both seperate characters. Brock is vengeful and angry because Spider-Man screwed up his life (In the comics, anyway. I'm not sure how it'll go in the movie.), and the symbiote is ticked off about being rejected by it's preferred host. The result of their merging is the monstrous Venom, who is a physical embodiment of their combined bitterness and hatred.
This brings me to my concern of what they're going to do in regards to portraying that. How much of a role will Grace have in regards to playing Venom. Because not only would he have to show the characteristics of Eddie Brock, he'd also have to be able to factor in the symbiote's role in Venom's personality.

Your concerns are well founded. I share them. However, I think Raimi handicapped the role by choosing Grace. Topher has a boyish look instead of a grizzled man beatedn down by life. Strike 1. Topher hasn't 1/2 the muscle mass to pull off the years of intense training that Brock went through while nursing his hatred of Spidey. Strike 2. If the reports are true and Brock/Symbiote merged as Venom get only 10-15 minutes of screen time, then Strike 3. That won't be sufficient time to tell the story of Spiderman's most lethal nemsis.

Démon said:
That said, I'm not sure if some of these suggestions would pull this off. Michael Clarke Duncan is a very good actor, but I'm not sure if he'd really fit the bill. He might very well be a good Brock, but would he be able to portray the alien side, as well? Some people might not consider that important, but I think it's very important that we see that Venom is the result of two personalities combined, and both need to be represented in the performance.
What about Mickey Rourke?!

Sean

William

Scott

=

The comic Eddie Brock

seannscott.jpg

ha.
haha.
hahaha.
hahahaha.
hahahahaha.