The Wisdom Thread

l7MTSyh.jpg

9X4e2jW.jpg

78n5KPa.png

iAu3sBi.png

bourdain.png

For anyone seeing this... If you feel you need to reach out because you know that you've lost hope and think you may be capable of taking your own life click on the link below or call the 24 hour Suicide Prevention Hotline.

Home

Call 1-800-273-8255

Last edited:
nyuEFJ8.jpg

Yes... The irony of the of Mickey Mouse being used to illustrate how amassing more things is not greatness is not lost on me.

ehHJ7nW.jpg

It's a nice quote isn't it? It has the unavoidable ring of truth to it. It helps to sanctify one of our most accomplished war heroes and presidents and it indeed does appear to not only predict the Holocaust Denial that is rampant among many conspiracy theorist of many political stripes but it also instructs us to adhere to truth as a means to help to remember those destroyed by evil but also to stop future atrocities.

Problem is... Eisenhower most likely never said this. There's no real record to suggest he ever uttered this anywhere. It reflects some things Eisenhower said but it's not in any way a direct quotation of the man.

Even if something sounds good, it's best to verify it as best as you can. In this case despite the appearance of wisdom, we have instead something that while positive is more concerned with flattering Americans sense of moral superiority than in chronicling the truth for historical posterity. It's something that is common in today's world. We'd rather be comforted than actually confront things as they are.

These are the real words that Dwight D. Eisenhower said when he was confronted with the reality of the Nazi system of death camps:

"But the most interesting - although horrible - sight that I encountered during the trip was a visit to a German internment camp near Gotha. The things I saw beggar description. While I was touring the camp I encountered three men who had been inmates and by one ruse or another had made their escape. I interviewed them through an interpreter. The visual evidence and the verbal testimony of starvation, cruelty and bestiality were so overpowering as to leave me a bit sick. In one room, where they [there] were piled up twenty or thirty naked men, killed by starvation, George Patton would not even enter. He said he would get sick if he did so. I made the visit deliberately, in order to be in position to give first-hand evidence of these things if ever, in the future, there develops a tendency to charge these allegations merely to 'propaganda'."

- Letter, DDE to George C. Marshall, 4/15/45 [The Papers of Dwight David Eisenhower, The War Years IV, doc Number 2418]

"We continue to uncover German concentration camps for political prisoners in which conditions of indescribable horror prevail. I have visited one of these myself and I assure you that whatever has been printed on them to date has been understatement. If you would see any advantage in asking about a dozen leaders of Congress and a dozen prominent editors to make a short visit to this theater in a couple of C-54s, I will arrange to have them conducted to one of these places where the evidence of bestiality and cruelty is so overpowering as to leave no doubt in their minds about the normal practices of the Germans in these camps."

- Cable, DDE to George C. Marshall, 4/19/45 [The Papers of Dwight David Eisenhower, The War Years IV, doc Number 2424]

"When I found the first camp like that I think I never was so angry in my life. The bestiality displayed there was not merely piled up bodies of people that had starved to death, but to follow out the road and see where they tried to evacuate them so they could still work, you could see where they sprawled on the road. You could go to their burial pits and see horrors that really I wouldn't even want to begin to describe. I think people ought to know about such things. It explains something of my attitude toward the German war criminal. I believe he must be punished, and I will hold out for that forever."

- Press conference, 6/18/45 [DDE's Pre-Presidential Papers, Principal File, Box 156, Press Statements and Releases, 1944-46 (1)]

What is my point? Simply that even something that you think is a positive message can be, well... A lie. Which is always a shame because the truth is always going to be a richer and more complete source of strength and wisdom.

A comforting passage from the Bible that teaches us not to give up, and endure hardships in life.

Romans 8:31-39

'What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. Who then is the one who condemns? No one. Christ Jesus who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? As it is written:

“For your sake we face death all day long;
we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.”

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.'

1 Corinthians 13:4 -7

'Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"