The Wrestling Thread is a team player - - - Part 186

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you guys believe me if I told you that this is the daughter of Tully Blanchard and she's a wrestler?:

photo-2.jpg

Man, The WWE Summer of Punk saga was a walking facepalm and was most likely intended as a way for them to screw Punk as payback for almost leaving the company.

Honestly, it's been a growing trend for the company to crap over on anything that they didn't expect/anticipate/weren't entirely responsible for.

Zack Ryder gets himself way over and thus, the company awards him the US Championship belt and one hell of a night the Raw after. After that, he's tossed into the abyss to never be heard from again.

CM Punk rattles things up with his "pipe bomb" before his contract his up, and thus is brought back and placed in the main event picture for awhile before being eventually screwed over with bad booking.

Daniel Bryan gets himself over with his great personality and thus, the company finally gives him the main event spot at WM 30, along with the Title, only to destroy/bury him with Kane and his wife and now...he's out due to injury and hasn't really been heard from since.

Frankly, if Triple H didn't screw so many guys over a decade ago and didn't marry Stephanie, than more of us would be screwed today because I think it's really only because of him that we have any decent product going on..since, unlike Steph and Vince, he knows what he's doing.

That's the irony about Triple H, hate on him all you want but one thing's for sure the man actually cares about wrestling. I'd say way more than Vince does.

Hell, Vince won't even acknowledge the fact that it's a wrestling company.

But in terms of significance? Austin's wins hands down because that led into the biggest time period of the company's history. Punk's Pipe Bomb could have done that, but booking let the heat from that promo down shortly after it. Punk did become a star that connected with lots of fans, but here we are years after the fact still *****ing about why he was misused instead of looking forward to what he's going to do to entertain us next. Still stuck with the same John Cena that he *****ed about. Not much has changed at all, so it's impact on the business wasn't what it could have been. But Austin's booking went from a cool promo to him going on a tear that got everyone behind it. They actually lived up to the potential with him, and it changed the business.

A couple of things on the bolded part. I think it's very debateable that the attitude era was bigger than the Rock 'n' Wrestling era as the biggest in the history of the business,. It was Hogan, not Austin, that drew the biggest North American crowd in pro wrestling history, a record that still stands over 25 years on.

I'd also say that it didn't usher in anything but Austin's character which didn't truly become relevant until Bret returned 6 months later. The actual true launch of the attitude era was the screwjob, it birthed the Mr. McMahon character that gave Austin his Lex Luthor.

The interesting thing about Punk's promo is that it may not have led where it could have and is now bittersweet as Wheels said. However it remains the most truthful and prophetic promo ever cut on a wrestling show, which is why I think it's winning the poll, no promo has ever spoken for (a majority) the fanbase like that one, and what he said (sadly) still resonates to this day.

That list is null and void though without having any of The Great One's promo's though.:o

:funny: I agree man, the list needed more HBK. :cwink:

Frankly, if Triple H didn't screw so many guys over a decade ago and didn't marry Stephanie, than more of us would be screwed today because I think it's really only because of him that we have any decent product going on..since, unlike Steph and Vince, he knows what he's doing.

Maybe I'm bitter and cynical but I think Triple H is getting way too much love due to NXT. Sure, it's a good little show, but lets see if we see a Raw booked like that, with that talent pushed on top in 2 years time. I seriously doubt we will.

The thing with Triple H is he's smart and much more in tune with the modern fan than Vince. He never gave two ****s about Punk or Bryan but he saw how they got over and how much louder of a voice the "smark" fan has become. So he's willing to tap into it but he is choosing the guys he wants from the indie selection, it will be interesting to see how he goes about things if a guy who he didn't handpick gets over unintentionally well, we have already seen Ambrose get sidetracked to avoid him taking Reigns shine, and it's way to convenient to blame it purely on Vince.

Yes, Seth Rollins is getting a good push from the sound of things, lets see if him and Ambrose get the same amount of effort put into them come Mania time as Reigns.

Last edited:
One last thing to add to the promo debate. The significance of Punk's promo may not be found within his own career, but in how it opened the doors for Bryan, Ambrose, Rollins, Devitt, Zayn, Steen etc....guys I doubt WWE would have seriously bothered with or in the case of Ambrose/Rollins, positioned so strongly from the start, had Punk not gotten so over and proved an "indie darling" could be WWE Champion.

Last edited:
Would you guys believe me if I told you that this is the daughter of Tully Blanchard and she's a wrestler?:

Sure I would. Do people really expect daughters to look like their father in a wig? :oldrazz:

Guess no one's seen the "Divas Gone Wild" ep. of the Monday Night War last night!

I hate to say it but she does look like the hit it and quit it type.

well i guess i'm missing survivor series. i would have watched it had the uk got the network but i dont see why i should have to pay another £15 for something that i already pay upwards of £60 a month for

i will be amazed if the uk gets anything even remotly like the American network. and truthfully there is a part of me that hopes it bombs big style for both sky and the wwe

still can't bring myself to get the network, even if it's free
does the no network crew still exist ?

As a Booker of independent wrestling and someone who is "in" the business, this **** pisses me the **** off if it's true.
http://www.pwponderings.com/2014/11/18/roh-talent-pulled-from-dreamwave-wrestling/
That's some dumb **** right there.

I finally watched Raw last night, and it's like they didn't have anything. The whole destroy team Cena thing was okay, but no mic time for Rollins and although the Rowan thing was a cool moment it makes no sense because there was no build for it. It really shows how they dropped the ball on the Wyatts after feeding them to Cena and not giving Harper/Rowan the tag titles. I don't like the fact that they again pass the IC title around for no reason. Giving Harper the belt does nothing and it won't help to give him direction.

I'm looking at the final SS card and I think it's stupid to not have Ambrose and Wyatt in the main event. Those two would add some much needed juice to that match because right now it's filled with people I don't care about outside of Rollins and Ziggler.

Ambrose and Wyatt can just fight next month.

Guess I'll re-subscribe to this thread for now. Question is AJ the only face champion right now?

Survivor Series going up against the Walking Dead and a Sunday Night Football game that has the Dallas Cowboys in it?

That is a stupid idea.

That's some dumb **** right there.

I finally watched Raw last night, and it's like they didn't have anything. The whole destroy team Cena thing was okay, but no mic time for Rollins and although the Rowan thing was a cool moment it makes no sense because there was no build for it. It really shows how they dropped the ball on the Wyatts after feeding them to Cena and not giving Harper/Rowan the tag titles. I don't like the fact that they again pass the IC title around for no reason. Giving Harper the belt does nothing and it won't help to give him direction.

And it doesn't help that, so far, the Ambrose/Wyatt feud SUCKS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"