The Writer's thread (Authors, Screenwriters, playwrights, etc.)) - Part 1

@Schlosser85 - Damn dude, that was incredibly bad ass. It's ironic that your story was about vampires because lately I've always thought, how come no one writes good vampire stories anymore? It perplexes me that, that's something that kind of disappeared after the "Twilight" craze. I'm hoping there's a "renaissance" for vampires and werewolves to make a return. They're definitely fun and entertaining creatures to write about. (In my opinion.) I think that's why I enjoyed Doctor Sleep so much because they felt like a fresh or modern take on vampires.

Echoing what Hellion had said, there's definitely true artistry in your ability to paint vivid pictures. I also like how I was immediately captivated by the character of Balashi. That was a joy/great read.

Thanks for sharing!

I'm just a guy writing stories in his favorite genre... superheroes.
@Schlosser85 , you're a true artist. Just like everyone else here too.

Happy to have read that.

@Schlosser85 - Damn dude, that was incredibly bad ass. It's ironic that your story was about vampires because lately I've always thought, how come no one writes good vampire stories anymore? It perplexes me that, that's something that kind of disappeared after the "Twilight" craze. I'm hoping there's a "renaissance" for vampires and werewolves to make a return. They're definitely fun and entertaining creatures to write about. (In my opinion.) I think that's why I enjoyed Doctor Sleep so much because they felt like a fresh or modern take on vampires.

Echoing what Hellion had said, there's definitely true artistry in your ability to paint vivid pictures. I also like how I was immediately captivated by the character of Balashi. That was a joy/great read.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks guys! That's actually the only vampire thing I've written, but I've always enjoyed them (in general), and I just randomly wrote it one day when I had writer's block on my "main" story.

Thanks for giving your thoughts.

I'm just a guy writing stories in his favorite genre... superheroes.
I'm looking forward to reading your book mate! Always inspirational when fellow Hypers already have their books completed and published.

This is just a random short I wrote in 2017. Yes I know it has my name on it, meh.

Thanks guys! That's actually the only vampire thing I've written, but I've always enjoyed them (in general), and I just randomly wrote it one day when I had writer's block on my "main" story.

Thanks for giving your thoughts.
This was awesome mate! I loved it. You need to write about vampires more if you have such a good handle on them. What do you usually write about? I really love your writing style regardless.

My books are about a fantasy world with pretty much every race thrown in but vampires are also an important part of it. Looks like I'll have to do some consulting with the vampire expert here before I finalise those parts. :cwink:

This was awesome mate! I loved it. You need to write about vampires more if you have such a good handle on them. What do you usually write about? I really love your writing style regardless.

My books are about a fantasy world with pretty much every race thrown in but vampires are also an important part of it. Looks like I'll have to do some consulting with the vampire expert here before I finalise those parts. :cwink:

Thanks, but I wouldn’t consider myself a vampire expert, like I said that’s the only time I’ve actually written anything vampire related.

My “main” story is a sci-fi series set millennium into the future after mankind abandoned a dying Earth and migrated to a distant galaxy in search of a new home, where some settled on an untouched paradise world they call Gaia and call themselves Children of Gaia. Rejecting the follies and arrogance of mankind, they seek to live in harmony with nature and go so far as to incorporate animal characteristics and genetically hybridize themselves. Gaia also has a mysterious “magic” power that mages can tap into by connecting to the ley lines crisscrossing the globe, and also building their cities atop intersections of ley lines which power them via aether reservoirs. The Children are largely isolationist except for the diplomatic sect known as Arbitrators, but recently there’s been a political conflict brewing between the isolationists and those who feel Gaia needs to become more fully engaged with the interstellar community.

Meanwhile, a large faction of mankind formed into the Terran Imperium, an interstellar empire modeling itself after the Roman Empire with a bunch of occupied worlds and enslaved alien races, but it’s repeating history with its capital world Tellus Romana growing increasingly polluted and incapable of sustaining life, making it more and more dependent on its colonies.

The ostensible keeper of the peace is a United Nations-esque body called the United O’Deran Interplanetary Federation which is in a sort of Cold War with the Imperium, but it’s fairly venal and ineffectual.

It’s a big ensemble cast, but there’s basically three most central protagonists, a Gaian Mage professor with heightened powers who finds she has this “yin and yang” connection with her counterpart, a former slave and gladiator turned a revolutionary leader who is seeking pieces scattered across the cosmos to awaken an ancient superweapon named Sekhmet, a doomsday weapon of the ancient race of “gods” (actually advanced telepathic and virtually immortal aliens). You could liken him to Daenerys Targaryen a little bit, including the part where he thinks he’s a great liberator but is actually going off the deep end.

Third central protagonist is cocky flyboy fighter pilot for the Imperium, which is in a long war with a reptilian alien warrior race, though (surprise surprise), it’s not quite as cut and dried as people think re: who the real aggressor is.

There’s loads more going on, but this is TL:;DR enough.

I’m also in a collaborative writing project with my ex in a sort of dark comedy ‘verse about a bunch of assassins. We each have a few characters. My main ones are a freelance Austrian assassin, a Mossad agent, and a goon for the Russian Mafia, though the Austrian one is the only one I really have anything written for. It starts as a dark comedy with unreliable narrator stuff from how self aggrandizing his character is (also quirks like being obsessed with Falco), but gets into a character arc of catching feelings for this Turkish artist who doesn’t know his real profession and both of them eventually being targeted by the assassin’s crazy Russian gangster ex.

Thanks, but I wouldn’t consider myself a vampire expert, like I said that’s the only time I’ve actually written anything vampire related.

My “main” story is a sci-fi series set millennium into the future after mankind abandoned a dying Earth and migrated to a distant galaxy in search of a new home, where some settled on an untouched paradise world they call Gaia and call themselves Children of Gaia. Rejecting the follies and arrogance of mankind, they seek to live in harmony with nature and go so far as to incorporate animal characteristics and genetically hybridize themselves. Gaia also has a mysterious “magic” power that mages can tap into by connecting to the ley lines crisscrossing the globe, and also building their cities atop intersections of ley lines which power them via aether reservoirs. The Children are largely isolationist except for the diplomatic sect known as Arbitrators, but recently there’s been a political conflict brewing between the isolationists and those who feel Gaia needs to become more fully engaged with the interstellar community.

Meanwhile, a large faction of mankind formed into the Terran Imperium, an interstellar empire modeling itself after the Roman Empire with a bunch of occupied worlds and enslaved alien races, but it’s repeating history with its capital world Tellus Romana growing increasingly polluted and incapable of sustaining life, making it more and more dependent on its colonies.

The ostensible keeper of the peace is a United Nations-esque body called the United O’Deran Interplanetary Federation which is in a sort of Cold War with the Imperium, but it’s fairly venal and ineffectual.

It’s a big ensemble cast, but there’s basically three most central protagonists, a Gaian Mage professor with heightened powers who finds she has this “yin and yang” connection with her counterpart, a former slave and gladiator turned a revolutionary leader who is seeking pieces scattered across the cosmos to awaken an ancient superweapon named Sekhmet, a doomsday weapon of the ancient race of “gods” (actually advanced telepathic and virtually immortal aliens). You could liken him to Daenerys Targaryen a little bit, including the part where he thinks he’s a great liberator but is actually going off the deep end.

Third central protagonist is cocky flyboy fighter pilot for the Imperium, which is in a long war with a reptilian alien warrior race, though (surprise surprise), it’s not quite as cut and dried as people think re: who the real aggressor is.

There’s loads more going on, but this is TL:;DR enough.

I’m also in a collaborative writing project with my ex in a sort of dark comedy ‘verse about a bunch of assassins. We each have a few characters. My main ones are a freelance Austrian assassin, a Mossad agent, and a goon for the Russian Mafia, though the Austrian one is the only one I really have anything written for. It starts as a dark comedy with unreliable narrator stuff from how self aggrandizing his character is (also quirks like being obsessed with Falco), but gets into a character arc of catching feelings for this Turkish artist who doesn’t know his real profession and both of them eventually being targeted by the assassin’s crazy Russian gangster ex.
Oh yeah, I worded that badly. I meant expert writing style (IMO at least :cwink:) on vampires rather than expert knowledge of them. I'd love you to read my vampire stuff when I get around to filling out and finalising those parts to give any advice.

As for your sci-fi epic, it sounds amazing. Right up my street. I'm definitely going to be reading this series when it's done.

My series is fantasy but there are some interesting similarities. Many of my races are animal-human hybrid in nature including a reptilian warrior race. I have a former slave/gladiator character, and something vaguely similar to the ancient immortal alien race who will only be recruited for the final showdown of the last book.

Collaborating sounds interesting. I think it would be really fun bouncing ideas off a friend. I have some interest in crossing over some stuff with my best friend's books too but that is something a way off of course. Just by discussing some of the ideas of my own books out loud with him has helped me think of some new features that I will definitely be using.

Good luck getting yours finished. How long do you think it might take?

Unfortunately, it's very "fits and starts", and as I said in the self-isolation thread, while you'd think I'd be getting some writing done now of all times, I've been so zoned out mentally and almost feel like I'm spending this year in suspended animation.

How I should be this year:

DisloyalColorfulHalcyon-size_restricted.gif

How I actually am this year:

gettyimages-712-24_h8_optimized.gif

Unfortunately, it's very "fits and starts", and as I said in the self-isolation thread, while you'd think I'd be getting some writing done now of all times, I've been so zoned out mentally and almost feel like I'm spending this year in suspended animation.
Oh right. I hope you can break out of that asap and get back to it.

I am clearing a tonne of work from my schedule with the aim of having much more leisure time for stuff like this when I get it all out the way. I also have my best mate who is also writing a book coming to stay for 2 weeks soon and we will exchange a bunch of ideas and read over each other's work to date.

@Iceman - That's awesome to hear! Here's hoping something fruitful comes from the efforts/endeavor. I'll definitely be wishing you all the best with that pursuit. No pressure but I look forward to hearing how it all unfolds for you.

@Schlosser85 - Because of your little short, I was compelled to watch "Fright Night" (2011) last night. I'm getting into the fall mood/Halloween time so I've been watching more horror films than usual. In my opinion, that movie is so much fun and when "Jerry the vampire" is stalking Charlie and Amy in the night club, I thought about how we need more great entries in the vampire mythology. In regards to your brief synopsis on the story you're working on, it's all solid! Definitely keep at it.

I'm off work today so I plan on making a push on the various projects I'm working on/juggling. I'm kind of compelled to write a detailed outline for my one story. While the means will be for me to solidify the various "beats" I'm trying to convey...hopefully I'll be able to post it here tonight and you all can read it and provide feedback? More on that later.

So now I'm going to put on the various soundtracks composed by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross and get to work. If you guys are like me and love to have music on in the background while you write, I'm going to link you to two of my favorite instrumental pieces by Nine Inch Nails. I've been listening to them for almost 14 years now and to this day they're still "inexhaustible wells" of creativity and inspiration.

A Warm Place

Leaving Hope

If any of you are also working on your projects today/feel inspired...here's hoping you're able to keep that flame alive.

All the best.

@Resistance61513 Sat 19th Sep till Sunday 4th October are my 2 weeks off when my friend comes and I hope to make real progress then. We are concentrating on our books and fitness as well as films, games etc that are relevant background material. :cwink:

@Iceman - Dude, that's awesome to hear! September 19th is approaching fast! That's exciting. As I had said above, I look forward to seeing what comes to fruition within that time frame. Here's hoping you both are able to "hit the grind stone" and have fruitful endeavors manifest. What kinds of films, games, etc are you planning on referencing? Again, super exciting. Wishing you guys all the best with your ventures!

@Everyone in this thread - If I may call upon you guys for feedback...I'm currently in the process of drafting something up and need outside opinions to see if I'm headed in the "right direction". If it's not too much trouble/you'd be interested in hearing what I'm writing, could you please private message me? I'd post it in here but this is something I'm working on for the month of October and I don't want any "public" data to potentially ruin it.

I hope you all are having a great weekend.

- Adam

How's everyone doing?
It's been a little while.

My 2nd book is still with my editor.
I think between that and my health stuff, I'm probably looking at a March-April release.

I'm a one project at a time person, beyond that, then I'll get back to revising/rewriting my third project.

i stumbled across this site earlier but haven't really had a chance to look at it proper: Inkitt - The Reader-Powered Publisher

it looks like they have writing challenges there too as well as helping people get published. i plan to check it out better when i have more time. thought i'd share with everyone and to see if anyone is familiar with it

So.....a random story-related question. I don't know if this is the best place to ask but I wasn't sure where else.

Say a character needs access to a building because he's taking a shot from the rooftop.

1) Is there something small and portable to quickly press a key into to make a mold to copy later, so he could steal it from the caretaker and then make the mold and put the key back before the guy notices he stole it?

2) Should he get a blank key and wiggle it in the lock to make the little markings and then either make the key himself or have a locksmith do it (but a locksmith would be a loose end).

3) Should he just pry open a window or something

Could he steal the key, make the outline with some kind of soft substance and then fill it with resin or Epoxy to make a copy? Like how fast does he need to have this key back or is this something he could steal earlier and come back to?

Could he steal the key, make the outline with some kind of soft substance and then fill it with resin or Epoxy to make a copy? Like how fast does he need to have this key back or is this something he could steal earlier and come back to?

The way it’s conceived, he steals the key from the old caretaker and slips it back to him over the course of the guy showing him around the building.

I’m not sure of something that would make a copy of a key that fast but I’m fairly sure that definitely eliminates epoxy.
In my head I’m picturing them impressing the key into something akin to a bar of soap or same size, but a material an item could leave an impression in. And then filling that indentation with some kind of compound or whatever that would result creating a copy of the key.

I’m not sure of something that would make a copy of a key that fast but I’m fairly sure that definitely eliminates epoxy.
In my head I’m picturing them impressing the key into something akin to a bar of soap or same size, but a material an item could leave an impression in. And then filling that indentation with some kind of compound or whatever that would result creating a copy of the key.

Couldn’t he have like clay in a little handheld case or something, big enough to press the key impression into?

So my ex and fellow writer with whom I am collaborating in this shared 'verse we're writing in, suggested pressing the key into a piece of florist foam to make the impression, the work of seconds after which he could return the key without the person knowing he ever stole it, then pouring epoxy in to create the template and taking it to a hardware shop to get the key made.

So my ex and fellow writer with whom I am collaborating in this shared 'verse we're writing in, suggested pressing the key into a piece of florist foam to make the impression, the work of seconds after which he could return the key without the person knowing he ever stole it, then pouring epoxy in to create the template and taking it to a hardware shop to get the key made.

epoxy or resin were my initial thoughts but what little i do know about epoxy says it can take forever to dry.

is florist foam loud? it looks squeaky to me lol

epoxy or resin were my initial thoughts but what little i do know about epoxy says it can take forever to dry.

is florist foam loud? it looks squeaky to me lol

Not really, I used to work at a florist shop. It's more....crinkly. But it shouldn't be too loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"