• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Things You Want To See With This Reboot That Never Has Been Done Before?

And that's not calling for a "realistic"/totally depowered Superman or a stale Superman a la Superman Returns, but more one that's taking the timeless hero/morals and putting them in the forefront of world brimming with a lot of issues and questions, rather than plopping the iconography in front of cell phones and fancy cars.

Do working class people were capes with their casual clothes? I think the T-shirt and jeans look is fine for a Superman just starting out but adding the cape makes him look silly. There’s no need for it. It looks like he was starting to change into his costume but got interrupted halfway through and just had to roll with it.
No.

He’s not trying to blend in. He’s supposed to stand out.

It’s the same principle as any uniform. A shirt, pants, and hat is anyone. Add a badge it’s a cop.

The cape is the part people will remember.

Superman isn’t brooding. He’s not trying to scare criminals. He wants the good people to see his cape and know..”heck yeah, Superman is here!” Stop the fire….catch the plane…etc.

Taking a moment to bring him back as a hero for the people, as a literal social justice warrior, instead of a rock em sock em robot feels like a natural way to address "what does being a hero today" look like and should naturally lead to bountiful character work, the same kind of work that made The Batman so sweet.

Agreed, which is why "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way?" seems like obvious source material to adapt in the next Superman film.

You can use Manchester Black and the Elite, or get a little creative with the villain choice. Personally, I like Metallo as a substitute for Manchester Black. Use Geoff Johns' Secret Origin version for Corben--he's an American hero on paper, but just beneath the surface lies a villain.

Think of the Bullseye / Kingpin dynamic from season 3 of Netflix's Daredevil but instead apply it to Metallo / Luthor. Lex Luthor, wanting his own Man of Steel, orchestrates events to place Sgt. John Corben under his thumb and use him as a weapon in his war against Superman (much like Kingpin used Bullseye to toy with Daredevil and tarnish his reputation as a hero). When Corben discovers this, he turns on his creator and Superman is forced to protect Luthor.

Toyman could serve then as a secondary villain that Metallo executes publicly mid-film in another event orchestrated by Luthor behind-the-scenes. Toyman is stopped in the film's opening by Superman after causing destruction and mayhem before escaping yet again mid-film to wreak more havoc. The people embrace Metallo's willingness to kill which causes Superman to have his own moral crisis and question his role as a hero on this planet; he even goes back to Smallville to turn to Ma and Pa for some sound advice.

Having Luthor & the US Government (personified by General Sam Lane & Project Cadmus) conspiring against Superman with their own US-branded superhero provides a story for Lois and Clark (and Jimmy!) to chase throughout the film too and tie the threads together.

Really though, I would just like to have the film end with Superman confronting Luthor outside of his office window. He knows that Luthor was involved but can't prove it...yet. And thus would set the stage for an ongoing rivalry between the sons of Metropolis.

62dc6be24d77efc5-600x338.png

A proper shirt rip.

We are in the DP.
We see CK sitting at his desk, typing.
we hear a distant explosion.

We see Clark slightly cock his head in the direction of the sound...we hear terrified screams from people from his perspective.

he looks up and peers over his glasses ( x ray vision ) and looks through the roof.

The score starts slowly as we see a large passenger plane and a smaller plane.
They have collided.
Both are smoking and falling. One towards a high school, the other toward a highrise.

Clark jumps up and heads into a empty room.
( score beats faster )
He grabs his shirt with both hands.
( Camera zooms in. )

Buttons pop one at a time off his shirt in slo mo as the \S/ is slowly revealed in all its majesty.
We hear a sonic boom and see Superman racing up towards the planes.

Last edited:
Some of the responses in this thread are... People really shouldn't let the positive reception towards a Batman movie influence or dictate the tone/direction of a new Superman project. That's precisely the kind of thinking that led to MOS and then ultimately the ****show that came after that.

Respectfully disagree, the batman worked because, in my mind, it took the super out of hero. It and Bruce a man, coming to terms and trying to do the right thing - the atmosphere worked so well, it made his world seem very real. They focused on the detective. The feats, they were as grounded as possible, whilst still staying true to the source material.
So to take Superman, and give it the same format, where they focused on justice, not just as superman, but as clark Kent, that will give it a very human, relatable tone. Clark is powered, but not a god. He uses his job to do right, having powers, being superman allows him to cross lines he never could as a reporter.
We've seen superman as a god like being for decades, let's scale it back, lets make him a caped wonder, but let's focus on the story first, not just as a prop for him to do something amazing.

Taking a moment to bring him back as a hero for the people, as a literal social justice warrior, instead of a rock em sock em robot feels like a natural way to address "what does being a hero today" look like and should naturally lead to bountiful character work, the same kind of work that made The Batman so sweet.

Agree - in my head I picture, as a liberty taking example, imagine if Reeves took the pilot episode for Lois & Clark, the new adventures of superman, bought that to 2022.

Doesn't need the suit to be superman, but it helps.

Valibrow, that's all well and good, but it really has nothing to do with what I was saying. Making a Superman film, with the main guiding principle being that it can stand alongside The Batman, as one or two users have explicitly asked for, is a dumb principle imo. Especially when you're wishing for it to stand alongside a movie that, ironically, was itself made with the intention of being its own thing and not necessarily (if indeed at all) having to stand alongside other DC properties in a shared universe. That's all I'm saying.

Superman is a property that's totally deserving of being helmed by a director who is equally unconcerned with having their movie be pre-packaged and slotted neatly into place alongside something else.

Last edited:
Super needs to recreate in film the iconic shot of him shattering chains with the power of chest.

We need to se Martha Kent sewing the suit.

I'd been a while since we've seen Superman win the day by outsmarting and outmaneuvering his enemies, he does that a lot in the comics.

We also need to feel like he is at real risk.

Last edited:
- Brainiac: Collector of Worlds.

- Superman: confident and charismatic; the Champion of the Oppressed. Clark Kent: a mild-mannered, yet passionate journalist who strives to draw public attention to systemic problems and progressive solutions. His powers can start at Golden Age levels and steadily increase with each subsequent appearance.

- Cosmic adventures, with or without the non-powered supporting cast. Give me War World.

- The Daily Planet should be a media company that is excelling in the twenty-first century.

- Metropolis presented as the ideal city. Sleek, shiny, and running almost entirely on renewable energy.

Although I absolutely want some villains in the mix that (for once) aren’t Luthor and Zod, I would like to see Lex have an almost TAS-like presence where he’s a very public face who is privately pulling strings, but isn’t actually the main big bad.

Although I absolutely want some villains in the mix that (for once) aren’t Luthor and Zod, I would like to see Lex have an almost TAS-like presence where he’s a very public face who is privately pulling strings, but isn’t actually the main big bad.

That's actually what I would prefer as well.
I'd like him to be a mainstay of the cast ,in that, he's a presence in every film.

Some of the responses in this thread are... People really shouldn't let the positive reception towards a Batman movie influence or dictate the tone/direction of a new Superman project. That's precisely the kind of thinking that led to MOS and then ultimately the ****show that came after that.
I don’t think it’s the Batman per say. But the feeling that the influences of that movie added the execution.

Riddler was a Zodiac type. The Batmobile felt like a Christine horror movie. It added to the tone of the story.

MOS had a Terrance Malik look but that didn’t add to the story. It just looked like Malik. Superman Returns looked to Donner but it wasn’t more than surface level homages. It didn’t aid the story. It muddled it.

So if Brainiac comes and it’s influenced by Prometheus or Alien then let that influence how he’s presented.

So if the rumors about the Flash dumpster fire are true then:

Superman is dead in the DCEU. Zod killed him as a baby and he never became Superman. Supergirl survived Krypton’s destruction and will assume his role.

So yeah. That’s potentially what WB has planned for the Man of Steel. If true, then I ****ing give up. To be clear, I have no problem with a Supergirl movie and if you want to do that and sideline Superman for a bit, fine. Go for it. But literally having Superman MURDERED AS A BABY because you’re not creative enough to figure out a good way to use the character? **** that.

But hey. At least we still have an abusive psychopath playing an abysmal version of the Flash. Glad we didn’t course correct on that one!

Given
the Multiverse of it all, the way it sounds to me is almost like the Kelvin timeline in JJ’s Star Trek. Superman might have never existed in the world of this Supergirl, but that’s not to say he’s been erased in others.

1. At least one film where the love interest isn’t Lois or Lana. I wouldn’t mind seeing revamped versions of Lori Lemaris or Lyla Lerrol.

2. Mad Scientist Lex.

3. A Superman that decides to become Superman on his own.

4. A costume with the Black S-Shield.

5. Champion of the oppressed Superman. The saddest thing about WB’s ineptitude regarding Superman is that they've been so desperate to have a more badass, edgier take when that take pretty much already exists, and it’s the original Siegel/Shuster version. The version that made the popular character in the first place.

6. A coloful, vibrant version of Krypton

7. Jor-El looking identical to Kal-El/Clark.

8. A reboot that starts off with either Ma and Pa already being dead, or with Jonathan being alive and Martha already passed away.

Last edited:
I'd like a reboot where the Kent's don't die. O never understood why they're killed off so quickly, superman isn't a character motivated by tragedy like batman or spiderman. So Ma and Pa Kent could actually survive and he would still become superman.

Well, Ma Kent usually survives but I don’t know why they always feel a need to bump off Pa.

They can kill off the Kents and not have the character be defined by tragedy. After all, this is the character whose origin already involves the entire population of home planet, including his biological parents, being killed.

Instead of early career, what if we jump right into Clark, Lois, and Jon? Unless you’re watching the CW, Superman with a wife and super son is new territory.

Plus it really opens up the casting range too

I want the Kents to be alive and be part of the supporting cast.

One of the things I liked about Lois and Clark, was that it gave Clark a chance to actually talk to people who knew his secret, and it gave him a sounding board to express his feelings and thoughts.

I think a Superman reboot needs to have that element to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"