Things You Want To See With This Reboot That Never Has Been Done Before?

d5d9db137198816bfeb00b4253c1d8e0--art-work-comic-art.jpg

afd10d2a887973c67a50df0602190a68.jpg

s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg

3c313c4d27511b8097a66817a18a3eb5.jpg

greg-staples-bizarro-superman.jpg

7a963b90bbdca7c6448926f2fe18fdaf.jpg

general-sam-lane-dc-comics.jpg

Reminds me just how great a rogue's gallery Superman has. Behind Batman and Spider-Man.

I'd just like to see a straightforward, unabashed Superman story that's earnest and genuine. You know, a Superman story! Not that I'm opposed to it, but instead of doing a meta narrative addressing pop culture's misguided view of Superman, or a Superman vs The Elite type thing, I'd rather just get a filmmaker who sees Superman for what he is and just executes that well. You can win audiences over by that alone.

He should also stand for Truth, Justice, and The American Way. Not Truth, Justice, and All That Stuff. Don't be afraid of that. Superman represents the ideal America.

Eh, he can still stand for what it should be and lead by example when America hasn't. That's what Superman does even in the worst of times. Plus it's clunky doesn't roll off the tongue. It comes off as more of this corporate fear based decision making. It feels like it went through God knows how many executive meetings before it was agreed on like a DNC committee.

Eh, he can still stand for what it should be and lead by example when America hasn't. That's what Superman does even in the worst of times. Plus it's clunky doesn't roll off the tongue. It comes off as more of this corporate fear based decision making. It feels like it went through God knows how many executive meetings before it was agreed on like a DNC committee.

Yup, apparently it's wrong to be proud of your country and the good it does.

Captain America needs to be renamed "Captain Country that used to be revered"

Truth, Justice, The American way can still stand for something as it does to one million foreign nationals - the country is full of amazing, hard working people.. that's why 1 million migrants settle in America yearly, Mexico and china being the top two countries of origins - tells you the states is doing something right.

Yup, apparently it's wrong to be proud of your country and the good it does.

Captain America needs to be renamed "Captain Country that used to be revered"

Truth, Justice, The American way can still stand for something as it does to one million foreign nationals - the country is full of amazing, hard working people.. that's why 1 million migrants settle in America yearly, Mexico and china being the top two countries of origins - tells you the states is doing something right.
There is a difference in having pride in aspects of a country, and buying into overt, propaganda for a country with a blood soaked and bigoted history. Especially as we live through a renaissance with half the country attacking people of color, members of the LGBTQIA+ community and the lower classes in general. I am not exactly sure what pride is to be found in being an American right now. Not being a technically worse country isn't an achievement.

"The American Way" was a nebulous misnomer, reserved for the few. There is no truth, no justice in the current system. "A Better Tomorrow" emphasis what Superman should always be striving towards. That even when things are "better", they can always be improved. No rest for the man who thinks every single person matters. Even those the American government thinks they can drop drones on.

Plus, the Man of Tomorrow belongs to Earth, no single country.

It’s a good slogan, imo. Sounds natural. Plus, he’s the Man of Tomorrow, so it seems like what it should’ve been from the start.
My feelings on the US aside, I really do think "for a better tomorrow" sounds better and fits Superman much better. It no longer sounds like war time propaganda.

My feelings on the US aside, I really do think "for a better tomorrow" sounds better and fits Superman much better.
Yeah I was always partial to the “Truth, Tolerance and Justice” one from the 1940’s over the “American Way” one anyway, but “Better Tomorrow” honestly sounds better than both to me.

There is a difference in having pride in aspects of a country, and buying into overt, propaganda for a country with a blood soaked and bigoted history. Especially as we live through a renaissance with half the country attacking people of color, members of the LGBTQIA+ community and the lower classes in general. I am not exactly sure what pride is to be found in being an American right now. Not being a technically worse country isn't an achievement.

"The American Way" was a nebulous misnomer, reserved for the few. There is no truth, no justice in the current system. "A Better Tomorrow" emphasis what Superman should always be striving towards. That even when things are "better", they can always be improved. No rest for the man who thinks every single person matters. Even those the American government thinks they can drop drones on.

Plus, the Man of Tomorrow belongs to Earth, no single country.

You seriously think half the population is attacking people of colour, lgbtq's and the lower class in general?

Why do you think 'Truth, justice and the American way' is anything other than having pride of the people, the good majority of people that make America what it is.. past, present and future.

Not being American - but fortunate to travel around her, America is diverse, friendly, rich in heritage - don't muddle the government with it's people.

Yup, there are some bad eggs and with 329 million people living there, if only 1 out of 100 was a bad person, that's 3.3 million bad people - that's a lot of people - but still leaves 325 million to the good.

I just refuse to get drawn into victim hood which American media loves to portray - the pro's far out weigh the cons and progress is made every day.

If you think the current system is so bad, tell that to the millions moving there each year.

Superman represents everything good that is America.

You seriously think half the population is attacking people of colour, lgbtq's and the lower class in general?

Why do you think 'Truth, justice and the American way' is anything other than having pride of the people, the good majority of people that make America what it is.. past, present and future.

Not being American - but fortunate to travel around her, America is diverse, friendly, rich in heritage - don't muddle the government with it's people.

Yup, there are some bad eggs and with 329 million people living there, if only 1 out of 100 was a bad person, that's 3.3 million bad people - that's a lot of people - but still leaves 325 million to the good.

I just refuse to get drawn into victim hood which American media loves to portray - the pro's far out weigh the cons and progress is made every day.

If you think the current system is so bad, tell that to the millions moving there each year.

Half the voting population is voting for Republicans who are doing just that. Trump was president, who built his platform on bigotry.

Also, you calling American "her" is just... well it's definitely a decision, and thanks for explaining my country to me. I really needed the lesson. Clearly, you understand the pros in comparison to the cons. Thanks for explaining to me the current realities of my country.

You know what on second thought, no. We are watching the rights of women, people of color, children, and the LGBTQIA+ community be ripped from them. Voting rights? ****ed. Abortion rights? ****ed. Aid for the lower classes while the 1% makes more money then ever? ****ed. Education? ****ed. The ability to be trans kid? ****ed. There are states trying to genocide trans kids, and you want to tell me about the pros of America? You sound like one of those Republicans who go on television to justify slavery because it ended up serving a greater purpose. America is more then that one "minor" issue. It's ridiculous, but you are also the guy who thinks there is some great attack on Christians by a cartoon, so yeah.

Half the voting population is voting for Republicans who are doing just that. Trump was president, who built his platform on bigotry.

Also, you calling American "her" is just... well it's definitely a decision, and thanks for explaining my country to me. I really needed the lesson. Clearly, you understand the pros in comparison to the cons. Thanks for explaining to me the current realities of my country.

You know what on second thought, no. We are watching the rights of women, people of color, children, and the LGBTQIA+ community be ripped from them. Voting rights? ****ed. Abortion rights? ****ed. Aid for the lower classes while the 1% makes more money then ever? ****ed. Education? ****ed. The ability to be trans kid? ****ed. There are states trying to genocide trans kids, and you want to tell me about the pros of America? You sound like one of those Republicans who go on television to justify slavery because it ended up serving a greater purpose. America is more then that one "minor" issue. It's ridiculous, but you are also the guy who thinks there is some great attack on Christians by a cartoon, so yeah.

It's truly a shame you feel that way about your country - I had different experiences when there, I don't live your life so I can't possibly tell you how you feel and I wouldn't - you have a right to voice your views.

As for me being a 'slavery defending republican'? Let's not get personal - that is just ridiculous and haven't attacked you, I have just disagreed with you, in a public forum about the meaning of the saying 'American way'.

I would appreciate if you don't attacker label me, that's not me. Regarding the comment about the movie 'turning red', I liked the film, I applauded it - however I did state that I can see how some parents, religious folk too - any religion - would be turned off by the subject matter for younger viewers, which is why it has a PG rating and I felt it was below the belt for other posters on here to mock conservative parents, labelling them worse - it's not cool, you are kinda doing it, labelling me, assuming I am the worst of the spectrum, because I disagree with you.

I believe America has good people in it and yes, I called the country 'her' as it's a cultural thing from here I am from, Statue of Liberty, lady liberty for many is the symbol of America - you wouldn't stop me from using my cultural references would you?

I see Superman as a product of all that is good, of America - yes, there are bad things in America, luckily we have superman as an ideal to strive towards - but if you walk out and expect to see negativity, then that's the reality you create.

I have nothing more to say - have a great week.

It's truly a shame you feel that way about your country - I had different experiences when there, I don't live your life so I can't possibly tell you how you feel and I wouldn't - you have a right to voice your views.

As for me being a 'slavery defending republican'? Let's not get personal - that is just ridiculous and haven't attacked you, I have just disagreed with you, in a public forum about the meaning of the saying 'American way'.

I would appreciate if you don't attacker label me, that's not me. Regarding the comment about the movie 'turning red', I liked the film, I applauded it - however I did state that I can see how some parents, religious folk too - any religion - would be turned off by the subject matter for younger viewers, which is why it has a PG rating and I felt it was below the belt for other posters on here to mock conservative parents, labelling them worse - it's not cool, you are kinda doing it, labelling me, assuming I am the worst of the spectrum, because I disagree with you.

I believe America has good people in it and yes, I called the country 'her' as it's a cultural thing from here I am from, Statue of Liberty, lady liberty for many is the symbol of America - you wouldn't stop me from using my cultural references would you?

I see Superman as a product of all that is good, of America - yes, there are bad things in America, luckily we have superman as an ideal to strive towards - but if you walk out and expect to see negativity, then that's the reality you create.

I have nothing more to say - have a great week.
This is very personal to me. All these things effect me, my friends, and my family. And you decided to explain to me how the horrors I am watching occur don't matter based on some sort of national pride you really shouldn't share, using the exact same argument that Republicans use to defend even teaching about the horrors of our past, including slavery. That's your choice, and please stop telling me how civil you are, while doing that. Saying those things nicely, make them no better.

If your culture references are going to be... let's say awkward, I'd personally rather you didn't.

Superman is the product of all that is good in his parents. Those that sent him to Earth to save him and those that raised him to be a good person. He reflects the good we can be as human beings, not as "Americans". "The American Way" is pure propaganda. If we simply dive into what that "meant" when it was created, it's an issue. In the current environment, it's arguably a bigger issue, because society is starting to reflect on the problems of nationalism as we are forced to deal with a new wave. The idea that Superman would fly Vietnam, Brazil, Ukraine, etc. and hit them with the, "American Way" is just simply nonsensical imo. Superman's affiliation is to the people of Earth. Not any one nation, and especially not one that doesn't reflect his values of truth, justice and tolerance.

imo the old slogan carries negative connotations for marginalized populations and generally isn't the best descriptor for Superman anyway. It's hard to classify him as a champion of the people if he's going to be referencing their oppressors in his slogan.

If you wanted to truly make this a fresh and new take on the character, I'd leave the old slogan with Reeve and utilize the new one. It can be viewed as a pretty standard update alongside his suit, the logo, etc.

Last edited:

As opposed to the former one, which came about completely naturally?

Buddy... if the majority of Americans, past and present, were good people who weren't okay with all the horrors and biases perpetrated by and within the US over the last 200+ years... That stuff never would have happened in the first place. And it certainly wouldn't have happened as long as it did and continue to be happening. Racism, sexism and homophobia are still rampant, normalized and resurging with politicians openly calling for prison or worse for women seeking abortions & trying to recriminalize homosexuality.

I believe in America the same way Langston Hughes did - A nation that has never truly met the standards it champions, but could one day become the nation it claims to be. But for the victims of America and its people throughout history, what good is that? The reality is, that for most of the world and for a vast portion of our own citizens, "The American Way" means war crimes, oppression and bigotry.

What's clunkier, Superman's motto being a universal symbol of hope, or Superman clunkily having to explain that the "American Way" he stands for is aCtuAlLy a vague set of ideals that have never consistently been acted upon by America?

Buddy... if the majority of Americans, past and present, were good people who weren't okay with all the horrors and biases perpetrated by and within the US over the last 200+ years... That stuff never would have happened in the first place. And it certainly wouldn't have happened as long as it did and continue to be happening. Racism, sexism and homophobia are still rampant, normalized and resurging with politicians openly calling for prison or worse for women seeking abortions & trying to recriminalize homosexuality.

I believe in America the same way Langston Hughes did - A nation that has never truly met the standards it champions, but could one day become the nation it claims to be. But for the victims of America and its people throughout history, what good is that? The reality is, that for most of the world and for a vast portion of our own citizens, "The American Way" means war crimes, oppression and bigotry.

What's clunkier, Superman's motto being a universal symbol of hope, or Superman clunkily having to explain that the "American Way" he stands for is aCtuAlLy a vague set of ideals that have never consistently been acted upon by America?

Fair enough.

I’ll go into more detail later, but I learned recently that the Kents weren’t always farmers. They used to be small business owners. In the next reboot, make them exactly that. Let’s move away from the idea that Superman needs to be an All-American farm boy who represents a forgotten/quaint/picture perfect representation of small town values. It’s tired and it holds him back.

Not to dip the Kents too far into Aunt May and Uncle Ben territory, but portraying the Kents as a family that was categorically low income and marginalized rather than farmers first and foremost could go a long way. The Kent's issues at home being rooted to keeping the water running, being potentially food insecure, the woes of sec. 8 housing, etc etc would help shape the "champion of the people" characterization a lot imo. It's also a set of challenges that Clark can't physically lift them of, like the Pa Kent heart-attack trope.

Yeah, you could give them more backstory that they ran a small business, maybe even in Metropolis, but it went under and after losing all their money, we’re forced to start over and that’s what led to them moving to Smallville where living is a lot cheaper.

Not to dip the Kents too far into Aunt May and Uncle Ben territory, but portraying the Kents as a family that was categorically low income and marginalized rather than farmers first and foremost could go a long way. The Kent's issues at home being rooted to keeping the water running, being potentially food insecure, the woes of sec. 8 housing, etc etc would help shape the "champion of the people" characterization a lot imo. It's also a set of challenges that Clark can't physically lift them of, like the Pa Kent heart-attack trope.
I do think it is important to note that struggling with poverty and the difficulty of managing an independent business in out-of-control corporate, monopolistic America is fully applicable to farming. The media is still stuck on this Golden Age, idealized picture of the family farm that hasn't really been relevant for a LONG time now. Tapping into that, with the Kent's struggling to maintain a legacy w/wholistic, sustainable agriculture as the surrounding land is ate up by developers and their industry is strangled by Big AgroChem offers a very unique perspective that we never really see.

Imagine a montage of Clark growing up in that environment to the tune of 'Rain on the Scarecrow.'

It'd just be nice to have them stick around in live action for a change.
In a tv show it’s fine cause you have time to differentiate the interpersonal dynamic of the three.

In a two hour movie, you don’t really need two parents to act as a sounding board.

Pa Kent’s death in Superman and MOS was supposed to be an personal lesson to Clark’s narrative.

I do think it is important to note that struggling with poverty and the difficulty of managing an independent business in out-of-control corporate, monopolistic America is fully applicable to farming. The media is still stuck on this Golden Age, idealized picture of the family farm that hasn't really been relevant for a LONG time now. Tapping into that, with the Kent's struggling to maintain a legacy w/wholistic, sustainable agriculture as the surrounding land is ate up by developers and their industry is strangled by Big AgroChem offers a very unique perspective that we never really see.

Imagine a montage of Clark growing up in that environment to the tune of 'Rain on the Scarecrow.'
This is exactly what I was thinking.

Add in that I wanted the Kent’s to rely on a small group who knew Clark had powers to amplify the reason Superman gives back.

For a young Superman, to go from a close knit group who helped each other to the big city where you have Lex, Parasite, etc see him as a threat for trying to help.

Growing up as a kid on a farm in the late 90s/early 00's - having to go home after school and work on the farm, helping the family.. it's intense. You need super powers as a teen to handle that.

Yeah, the Kent farm should totally be expanded - have a crew around for clark - the lang's for instance. They have their own little 'family' and they know about Clark.

The Kent's need a grandpa, grandma that hark on about the olden days, the christian values - you then see a clark growing up in a different world - he's a stranger to that world Jon and Martha are transitioning from. Yeah, grandma makes apple pies, reads him the bible - truth, justice the American way, but it's Jon that knows it's not the future per se - heck, 9/11 - how does clark handle that as a 16 year old? With access to the internet, he sees a whole world out there that needs him, he confides in Lana. What does he do? He knows he'll be a pawn, dissected.

He's a bridge of two worlds, literally. He knows America, the world isn't perfect.... but he knows what the people want and stand for... what his family installed in him, he has hope - he has the golden age of grandma and grandpa - heck we all do... we all have grandparents that reminisce of the good old days where times were better - maybe they were? What made them better.

the whole debate about his slogan, truth and justice - if it's problematic for some - which I get, just drop it... I mean, who even has a slogan in all fairness. He should just be - the man of tomorrow (if it's even ok to call himself a man - he's an alien - someone has issues with labelling countries as feminine or masculine, now we calling aliens men? where does it stop - I kinda jest, but if some want to play by those rules then everything gets torn apart).

Ideally, a modern clark - raised on a farm has ideals and life experiences that can relate to so many people, he sees the world through a younger Lens too. We all know farms are hard work and are coming under pressure - natural disasters, heat waves, climate change, all impacts it too. Clark can see first hand the importance of community, the importance of green energy, politics and corruption. He can also see the difference in city life and farm life.

The farm aspect needs to stay - I would just introduce a larger family unit of sorts and show a real working farm with a young clark helps out and builds barns, moves cattle and on that farm he has an older generation in the background reminding him of yesteryear.

Also, I do feel they need to make a superman story that is personal...think of a real world situation, clark finds out there is corruption locally, that affects his core... he intervenes - that's golden age. He then see's what's happening around him, in the city... well a career in journalism helps that - honesty, truth and justice. Clark the reporter stands for truth and justice - it can be his blog or podcast name/column name. He can even raise questions, through dialogue, what does the American way even mean.

You ask an immigrant what the American way is, compared to a refugee, compared to an inner city kid - you will find different answers, but you'll find common ground.

Damn WB have really dropped the ball on giving us a great superman trilogy - so much potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"