Thor: Love and Thunder - RATE AND REVIEW THREAD(TAG SPOILERS!)

HammerDown

“Do not, my friends, become addicted to water...“
Reaction score
aba57cf684af1ed83f03f070a6d8f79d3238747f.gif

Last edited:
I loved it. It's SO Taika that it doesn't even feel like an MCU film most of the time, and that's the way I like it, lol. Easily my favorite Thor flick.

First time the emotional beats actually got me choked up in a Thor film, too. I enjoyed Hela, but Gorr was better - I just wish we got more of him. There are some truly stunning visuals here, too. Which shocked me, given the current state of CGI in MCU projects. But I think what made these work is that they didn't try for photo-realism at all, and instead embraced the fantastical, wild, Kirby-ness of it all.

And this one doubled down on the whole '80's Flash Gordon/Masters of the Universe vibe that Taika started with Ragnarok, so I can see how that will be turning a lot of people off. I'm ALL IN for that kind of stuff though, so this was pretty much heaven (or Valhalla!) to me. :pcg: :thor:

Side note, it was downright refreshing how relatively uninterested in the greater MCU this movie was, especially when compared certain other recent MCU entries. This was a movie that had its own story to tell, and didn't feel so much like a hype generator for the next Marvel projects.

I loved it. It's SO Taika that it doesn't even feel like an MCU film most of the time, and that's the way I like it, lol. Easily my favorite Thor flick.

First time the emotional beats actually got me choked up in a Thor film, too. I enjoyed Hela, but Gorr was better - I just wish we got more of him. There are some truly stunning visuals here, too. Which shocked me, given the current state of CGI in MCU projects. But I think what made these work is that they didn't try for photo-realism at all, and instead embraced the fantastical, wild, Kirby-ness of it all.

And this one doubled down on the whole '80's Flash Gordon/Masters of the Universe vibe that Taika started with Ragnarok, so I can see how that will be turning a lot of people off. I'm ALL IN for that kind of stuff though, so this was pretty much heaven (or Valhalla!) to me. :pcg: :thor:

Side note, it was downright refreshing how relatively uninterested in the greater MCU this movie was, especially when compared certain other recent MCU entries. This was a movie that had its own story to tell, and didn't feel so much like a hype generator for the next Marvel projects.

From my years of being on this board I hold your opinion on CBM films a lot higher than I do any critics, this is awesome to hear glad you loved it.

This got me even more excited.

This sentence right here intrigues me. I frickin love Flash Gordon.

What a film! Unlike anything i ever seen in the MCU.

I genuinely liked it but it was a very unique experience. This film is so different than anything else the MCU has offered so far, it almost lives in a vacuum as something very unique and special in its own right. It has humor, tragedy, joy, darkness, emotion... but it's also coated with a sort of silly, happy go lucky veneer and at the same time it touches in a lot of very human feelings and experiences.

It left me thinking a lot about it. I'm speechless in many ways because it truly surprised me in many ways. It's so different than Ragnarok... It's funny, there's cool action, good music/soundtrack,awesome visuals, it's sincere, introspective...

Bale's Gorr is INCREDIBLE! He's so intense and creepy AF but there's also a honesty to his portrayal. Loved the use of the All Black Necrosword and how it's power was portrayed, insane visuals and breathtaking stuff surrounding the power of the All Black, how Gorr used it... Top notch stuff. I personally felt Gorr had big role and really don't understand some of the complaints that point to his screen time, he was used a ton, beginning, middle and end and i enjoyed every second of it and loved much of it actually.

Chris Hemsworth as Thor is a gem. Love what he does with the character and this happy go lucky version of him is always a joy. The humor, the baddassery, silliness and sincerity all rolled up in one. We literally see Thor grow in many ways throughout the film and i appreciated it a lot. More Thor please.

Natalie Portman does a good job in a compelling arc. She's a bit silly at times but also cool and tragic, i thought she looked and fought in a cool manner as Mighty Thor, her entrance, her score, moves... where pretty great and we got to see a much better and layered performance. Her impact on Thor and the 2 together became something very special.

Russel Crowe as Zeus. LOL! Cracked me up, didn't expect his role to be that big and impactful and plenty of twists involving his character, that world, his fate, ancillary characters... A ton of easter eggs too.

Valkyrie is always good. Not a big role but i was pretty happy with what we got.
Korg was fine. Great narrator and a solid supporting character.

The GOATS! LOL
Stormbreaker... LOL

Several OMG moments from my part, huge stuff from the comics sprinkled throughout. So many funny moments and memorable funny lines. The action was really good, specially the stuff involving Thor and Gorr which was very impressive. The black and white stuff is incredible. I also enjoyed the soundtrack and score. There where several parallels with things that happened in Ragnarok that is mirrored in this.

Some choices definitely leave you scratching your head in terms of how off center they are, but once you let it marinate a bit, it's like "Ohhh... i get it", but yeh this film will definitely alienate some people because of how different and unique it is. It's not at all what a ton of people are expecting it to be, me included...

My best advice is just experience it for yourself and adjusting your expectations because this is a very different type of Thor film. It's a ton of different things in one package and i would argue there's likely something for everyone in this.

I give it a 8 out of 10. I wanna see it again and i could even revise my rating later on. :yay:

I personally felt Gorr had big role and really don't understand some of the complaints that point to his screen time, he was used a ton, beginning, middle and end and i enjoyed every second of it and loved much of it actually.

From some people, it may be a compliment more than anything
"He was so good, I wish there was more!"

I'm sure not everyone means it that way, but that's how I'll choose to interpret it lol

Very much on the same page here and i didn't even read anyone's thoughts before posting my review. :yay:
I genuinely liked it and yeh the emotional beats where subtle but still impactful. Gorr was definitely better than Hela, like way better... Yeh some of the visuals are incredible.

It's very Taika and almost a nod to a bygone era of space operas. It's both larger than life and surprisingly intimate and introspective. Even though we're talking about Gods and other larger than life elements... it's still very human in many ways if that description makes any sense.

Yeh definitely a self contained story with a lot of callbacks to stuff in Ragnarok and potentially setting a lot of different and unexpected things movies forward.

I gave it a 7. It's very funny and entertaining, but the serious themes and character moments could have used a lot more room to breathe. Weirdly, both Thor 4 and Doctor Strange 2 are exciting in terms of having a real sense of style to them, with both of these films having some strong, obviously director-driven elements to them, but also both films feeling patchy like they've been hacked and slashed in the editing room to match a certain runtime.

The ending is super strong though, Thor 5 is going to be exciting as hell and I hope it comes very soon.

Let me preface this by saying i really liked Ragnarok.
This though...
Man, this was rough.
You know all the people that say the MCU is childish and its all jokes all the time, i've never agreed with that but...that is this movie.

I feel like there's a really good movie in here but it was mostly left in the cutting room floor.

Might as well place this here:

Just got out and I loved L&T! Feels like it
could have done with a few more bridging scenes and a bit more breathing room but I enjoyed it all the way through. Ragnarok is my joint favourite “solo” MCU film and there are some things this film does better and some things Ragnarok does better.

Portman made a big contribution and after all my excitement since it was announced she was returning in a big way, she really delivered on everything I wanted from her. Valkyrie was better than we’ve seen before. Bale’s Gorr was a good villain and it would have been good to get more from him.

There’s plenty of comedy here but the jokes landed for me and also weren’t misplaced, allowing for some very good emotional scenes.

I love Taika’s magic and will be seeing this again for sure. :cool:

Even the responses from the Hypsters are very divided just like the critics lmao.

Although I went with much lowered expectations, I didn't like it. All the comparisons with Ragnarok simply don't do the justice to that movie (which is one of my top 5 MCU movies, maybe even top 3) - it's a much better movie in every way: script, plot, villain, action scenes, humor, everything. The thing that bothered me the most in L&T is not the overall silliness and goofy tone, but a very weak script and some really poor choices they made with some characters and scenes. It literally feels like it was written by a 5 year old. The end fight was a last nail in the coffin for me, especially the scene where
Thor gives powers to bunch of kids and they save the day. Wtf?
Unfortunately, Bale was underutilized as a villain and I felt that Hela was a much more menacing and dangerous, and the fighting scenes with Hela (or any action scene in Ragnarok to be honest) were much more interesting and epic.

Although I went with much lowered expectations, I didn't like it. All the comparisons with Ragnarok simply don't do the justice to that movie (which is one of my top 5 MCU movies, maybe even top 3) - it's a much better movie in every way: script, plot, villain, action scenes, humor, everything. The thing that bothered me the most in L&T is not the overall silliness and goofy tone, but a very weak script and some really poor choices they made with some characters and scenes. It literally feels like it was written by a 5 year old. The end fight was a last nail in the coffin for me, especially the scene where
Thor gives powers to bunch of kids and they save the day. Wtf?
Unfortunately, Bale was underutilized as a villain and I felt that Hela was a much more menacing and dangerous, and the fighting scenes with Hela (or any action scene in Ragnarok to be honest) were much more interesting and epic.
I actually though that was a very interesting and endearing choice and if I recall correctly…

that’s not how they eventually defeat Gorr either… It’s just a piece of the puzzle. And it showed that Thor had basically become Odin.

Besides I loved the “For a limited period only”. Humor so on brand.

Let me preface this by saying i really liked Ragnarok.
This though...
Man, this was rough.
You know all the people that say the MCU is childish and its all jokes all the time, i've never agreed with that but...that is this movie.

I feel like there's a really good movie in here but it was mostly left in the cutting room floor.
This is everything I was fearing. oof! Is Bale the best part of the movie and worth the price of seeing it?

Yeah, there are LOADS of fan reviews on the MCU subreddit. Loads and loads of reviews from fans who saw it.

The consensus there isn't as divided. There's loads of negative reviews there. I'll reserve judgement until I see it, but it seems like this movie is just not very good in the eyes of most viewers, with positive reviews being the unfortunate exception.

Ive said this already, but I prefer a more serious Thor and Thor films should be more serious in tone.

I'll plan to go in to it this weekend with expectations super low.

Reddit is not stop negativity anyway
I would NOT take them as representative of the whole of fandom

but hey, low expectations means you can never be disappointed right

Low expectations and an open mind go a long way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"