Thor: Love and Thunder - RATE AND REVIEW THREAD(TAG SPOILERS!)

I liked it. One thing that taika does well is make thor powerful and the character you want to watch. He said something along these lines in Ragnarok. He mentioned it was strange that people liked the other characters more than the guy the movie is named after, in the previous thor movies. Then in ragnarok you notice he makes loki look foolish and thor much cooler. This movie thor is still the favorite character, despite some of the humor. When things happen you still want to follow thor and that is all I want from a thor movie. Thor being the hero.

I liked it. One thing that taika does well is make thor powerful and the character you want to watch. He said something along these lines in Ragnarok. He mentioned it was strange that people liked the other characters more than the guy the movie is named after, in the previous thor movies. Then in ragnarok you notice he makes loki look foolish and thor much cooler. This movie thor is still the favorite character, despite some of the humor. When things happen you still want to follow thor and that is all I want from a thor movie. Thor being the hero.

I remember him saying that in the lead up to Ragnarok and I notice it more and more each time I watch it.

giphy.gif

Idk yet, how to rate it. I cheered a lot, but I didn‘t cheer as much as I did during Ragnarok.

Was it just me that found the film surprisingly touching?

There are several scenes featuring different characters that are both sad, tragic, sweet… I felt something at several points while watching it. Some stuff hit close to home as well in different ways.

Was it just me that found the film surprisingly touching?

There are several scenes featuring different characters that are both sad, tragic, sweet… I felt something at several points while watching it. Some stuff hit close to home as well in different ways.
Yeah, a couple of moments for me had a tear slipping out. :D

Nowhere as bad as predicted on here. Enjoyed myself with this film. Cinema was buzzing. This is a crowd pleaser especially for young kids. Christian Bale was a stand out even if under utilised. The dynamic between Thor and Jane glued the movie together. Better than Ragnarok. Comedy wasn't as potent as feared.

Short but sweet review 7.5 out 10.

I quite enjoyed this.

Most of the humor landed (despite a few overly dragged jokes), it had a very emotional and strong final act, a distinct aesthetic and visuals and Thor's power level display was on point here, just like in Ragnarok.

Jane was also awesome in this one and Christian Bale was a memorable villain, delivering an amazing performance as usual.

7.5/10

It's interesting that outside the Avengers franchise, it would be Thor that hits the 4th solo film milestone first. Thor didn't seem like many people's favorite Avenger, until Thor: Ragnarok happened. That film did for Thor what Captain America: The Winter Soldier did for Steve Roger's. Taika has come back for another whacky Thor adventure, and I was curious to see this given the 70ish Rotten Tomatoes score it was receiving, not so far from Thor: The Dark World territory. Upon seeing the film, I don't get the hate at all. This film is great.

What seems to be the point of division is Taika's style of comedy. This film takes the comedy further than even Thor: Ragnarok did, which seems to be what most people who disliked the movie key on. Taika going full Taika may not be for everyone, and there are gags in the film i dont think work or overstay their welcome. The Goats come to mind. But whatever jokes fall flat ultimately dont matter cause Taika brings the feels when he has to. Taika has a talent for working in tragedy amongst the yucks. Jane's story in particular has a ton of emotional weight, and Jane Foster is a major stand out in this film. Several scenes around her struggle with cancer got me misty. Gorr is also treated with seriousness whenever he is around, and as a character he is very complex. To just write this movie off for maybe a few bad jokes is just not seeing the forest from the trees IMO.

The performances are all on point here as well. Hemsworth and Portman are major standouts, as is Christian Bale. But I also loved watching Russell Crowe chew scenery as Zeus. Give that man a one man show. I also really enjoyed the various characters from past movies who were not in this a lot, but were worked into the story well when they were there.

Visually this movie is very striking. The way they play with colors when confronting Gorr gives this movie some visual flair the MCU often lacks with the flat green screen we see accustomed too. There is also an intentional use of bold colors all around, and everything just works. Between this and the recent Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, please keep up the interesting visuals Marvel! Maybe adopt some of this flair to the Disney+ shows as well.

When I watched Eternals, I can see where that may not be everyone's favorite movie. But with this one, I don't see it. Yeah, some jokes didnt work and Taika makes bold choices, but this story has a lot of meat on the bones. It has a wonderful message of love, great emotional weight, great character driven drama and arcs, and it does all that without being an overstuffed film. It also manages to work in great use of the Marvel cosmology for fans of the MCU to nergasm over. In short, this is either the best or 2nd best Thor film and maybe Phase 4's standout to date.

5 out of 5 - I just dont see the hate here guys

Last edited:
Wow and I usually use Ragnarok as an example of forced jokes and overly silly tone that doesn't fit the plot. I might have to skip this one.

It's interesting that outside the Avengers franchise, it would be Thor that hits the 4th solo film milestone first. Thor didn't seem like many people's favorite Avenger, until Thor: Ragnarok happened. That film did for Thor what Captain America: The Winter Soldier did for Steve Roger's. Taika has come back for another whacky Thor adventure, and I was curious to see this given the 70ish Rotten Tomatoes score it was receiving, not so far from Thor: The Dark World territory. Upon seeing the film, I don't get the hate at all. This film is great.

What seems to be the point of division is Taika's style of comedy. This film takes the comedy further than even Thor: Ragnarok did, which seems to be what most people who disliked the movie key on. Taika going full Taika may not be for everyone, and there are gags in the film i dont think work or overstay their welcome. The Goats come to mind. But whatever jokes fall flat ultimately dont matter cause Taika brings the feels when he has to. Taika has a talent for working in tragedy amongst the yucks. Jane's story in particular has a ton of emotional weight, and Jane Foster is a major stand out in this film. Several scenes around her struggle with cancer got me misty. Gorr is also treated with seriousness whenever he is around, and as a character he is very complex. To just write this movie off for maybe a few bad jokes is just not seeing the forest from the trees IMO.

The performances are all on point here as well. Hemsworth and Portman are major standouts, as is Christian Bale. But I also loved watching Russell Crowe chew scenery as Zeus. Give that man a one man show. I also really enjoyed the various characters from past movies who were not in this a lot, but were worked into the story well when they were there.

Visually this movie is very striking. The way they play with colors when confronting Gorr gives this movie some visual flair the MCU often lacks with the flat green screen we see accustomed too. There is also an intentional use of bold colors all around, and everything just works. Between this and the recent Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, please keep up the interesting visuals Marvel! Maybe adopt some of this flair to the Disney+ shows as well.

When I watched Eternals, I can see where that may not be everyone's favorite movie. But with this one, I don't see it. Yeah, some jokes didnt work and Taika makes bold choices, but this story has a lot of meat on the bones. It has a wonderful message of love, great emotional weight, great character driven drama and arcs, and it does all that without being an overstuffed film. It also manages to work in great use of the Marvel cosmology for fans of the MCU to nergasm over. In short, this is either the best or 2nd best Thor film and maybe Phase 4's standout to date.

5 out of 5 - I just dont see the hate here guys
100% agreed with pretty much everything you said here, SF. Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did! :D

I expected worse after the mixed reviews, Im happy to say I can give this a 7.5 / 10.

Pros
Hemsworth make a good performance
Jane Fosters story arc is very well handled and
Natalie Portman nailed it
The goats :applaud
Im fine with most of the jokes
Seeing Darcy again
Im very hyped about both credit scenes
Korgs storytelling

Cons
The whole final fight was underwhelming
Valkyrie was useless except showing some swag..
I really, really hate that Thor plays a daddy now..
Bale was indeed underused and repetitive at some point power wise
I was expecting more of Sif in this, her
first meeting with Thor was nearly a parody.
The music was more miss than hit for me

Just got out of the cinema.

I gave it a 6 but the meh is more fitting in feeling for me. Just wasn't funny to me, the most I laughed was the
play that Damon does, outside of that the movie was not fun.
outside of Thor I never watched a Taika film so not sure if this is more his humor and what his fanbase prefers. It had a few enjoyable parts I will say in the spoiler thread but overall I am good as a 1 and done on this.

7 out of 10 for me, I enjoyed it and will definitely enjoy it more a second time now that I know what to expect.

The fights are MUCH better than Ragnarok's in my opinion, with the exception of the fight with Hulk.
Yeh in general the fights are better here. And I like the 3 big battles in Ragnarok too.

I remade the "Best Fight Scene" thread if you guys wanna check that out.

Huh. Ok so I think I understand why the reviews are more mixed on this film since it's weirdly disjointed in places compared to Ragnarok. However I honestly don't know what the critics are drinking to rate Ragnarok so highly because it shares very much similar flaws outside the tonal clash.

How I feel about Love & Thunder in comparison to Ragnarok is very similar to how I feel about Iron Man 2 in comparison to Iron Man 3. I recognize that Ragnarok and Iron Man 3 are objectively better made movies but for whatever reasons I enjoy Iron Man 2 and Love & Thunder more.

Sticking to the Thor films, it's apt that the Guardians of the Galaxy participate in this installment because that's pretty much what Taika turned the Thor series into. But unlike Ragnarok, at least Love & Thunder doesn't unceremoniously kill off their supporting cast or make a joke out of Jane they way Ragnarok did with Loki. Jane was certainly funnier here than in prior films but there was a true emotional weight to her presence whereas Loki was not as delicately handled imo.

I don't know. I don't hold this high in my MCU rankings but I think I put it within the range of the first Thor which I like the most amongst the Thor films. I rated Love & Thunder a 7. I quite liked this one.

Last edited:
I definitely understand why it's so mixed with critics, it's a very weird movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"