[Thor Movie] Which version of Mjolnir to use?

mjolnir.jpg

Is it best when it looks metal like this one; or when it looks more like its made of stone? I tend to think stone would look more badass.

It so does;

The comicbook traditionalist in me is really struggling with this one - but is it wrong that after looking at Vartha's Mjolnir, I look at regular Mjolnir and it kinda looks bland as hell?
I still like the comic version. I imagine it'd suck for an artist to have to draw Vartha's version in every panel. But the whole point of prettying things up for movies is that there aren't any constraints like that on film, so the designs can be made more complex.

It so does;

The comicbook traditionalist in me is really struggling with this one - but is it wrong that after looking at Vartha's Mjolnir, I look at regular Mjolnir and it kinda looks bland as hell?
I just figure, the Dwarves were rather ornate when it came to what they made in both myth and comic. Mjolnir was way too simple in 616 compared to MANY of the Viking pendents I've seen, but as I've said Kirby probably drew Mjolnir that way so it wouldn't take so long to draw the books.

I should Post the Two images that inspired the last one.

Is it best when it looks metal like this one; or when it looks more like its made of stone? I tend to think stone would look more badass.
Problem with that is both 616 AND most of the myth say Mjolnir was FORGED by Dwarves. That means Mjolnir is made of Metal.

Doesn't mean the metal has to look particularly metallic, though. The dwarves were good enough craftsmen that they could probably make metal look like stone if they thought a stone hammer would look better.

something kinda like...

where its metal, but, with stone type pattern

That'd be cool. It'd be nice if it's a little worn like that, too. Thor smashes everything from giant faces to solid rock with this thing day in and day out, after all.

THIS was My biggest influence, for the new drawing.
Photo0001-4.jpg

Mjolnir02.jpg

This is the pendent I OWN that I use on my Viking Costume at Renaissance Faires.
Thorshammersml.jpg

Another two for reference of the Thong or Strap on Mjolnir,
Mjolnir01.jpg

Doesn't mean the metal has to look particularly metallic, though. The dwarves were good enough craftsmen that they could probably make metal look like stone if they thought a stone hammer would look better.

Yes but part of the myth and comic was Mjolnir was made as gifts to impress Odin and the Aseir, therefore Mjolnir SHOULD be more ornate.
Don't get me wrong, a battle Scarred Mjolnir would be great, I just think the one that looks like stone set the look further back in history.

Problem with that is both 616 AND most of the myth say Mjolnir was FORGED by Dwarves. That means Mjolnir is made of Metal.

I'm only asking which would look better on film. We're talking about Marvel's version of Thor here. Adherence to the lore isn't exactly a priority for them, and never really has been.

Mjolnir from The Incredible Hulk Returns looked awesome. I wouldn't mind at all if they used that one.

double post

Last edited:
I'm only asking which would look better on film. We're talking about Marvel's version of Thor here. Adherence to the lore isn't exactly a priority for them, and never really has been.

I'm talking about Marvel's Thor too.
Stan Lee created an metal called "URU". The properties of the metal allowed ANY warrior to call back his/her weapon to their hand. Mjolnir is made of Uru and Sif and a set of Arrows made from Uru and she called her arrows back.

I'm just saying the use of stone makes it look like it's from Conan's era.
Here's a pic of Thor and Mjolnir from the Legendary Journeys of Hercules, THAT Mjolnir looks like stone to me been awhile since I've seen that episode.
norse_5_mq_021sd.jpg

Yes, this thing deserves its own thread because it is one of the most famous fictional weapons ever conceived. What do you want to see it do, how should it look, what material should be used, and so forth. Spill it.

mjolnirsinscription.jpg

Yeah we've pretty much started a thread Terry. I even posted a couple Mjolnir designs of my own

as long as it's big enough, i don't mind it in its original format, i just don't want a weedy looking hammer that's all...I want something that looks like it could be wielded with both hands...but spun with one...

That'd contradict the established history for the weapon, though. Not just in mythology, but in the comics as well. Here're the stories in question.

From the mythology:

The most popular version of the creation of Mjöllnir myth, found in Skáldskaparmál from Snorri's Edda,[3] is as follows. In one story Loki sends up to the dwarves called the Sons of Ivaldi that create precious items for the gods: Odin's spear Gungnir, and Freyr's foldable boat Skíðblaðnir. Then Loki bets his head that Sindri (or Eitri) and his brother Brokkr would never succeed in making items more beautiful than those of Ivaldi's sons. The bet is accepted and the two brothers begin working. Thus Eitri puts a pig's skin in the forge and tells his brother (Brokkr) never to stop blowing until he comes and takes out what he put in.

Loki, in disguise as a fly, comes and bites Brokkr on the arm but he continues to blow. Then Eitri takes out Gullinbursti which is Freyr's boar with shining bristles. Then Eitri puts some gold in the furnace and gives Brokkr the same order. Loki in the fly guise comes again and bites Brokkr's neck twice as hard. But as before nothing happens and Eitri takes out Draupnir, Odin's ring, having duplicates falling from itself every ninth night.

Eitri then puts iron in the forge and tells Brokkr to never stop blowing. Loki comes again and bites Brokkr on the eyelid much harder than before and the blood makes him stop blowing for a short while. When Eitri comes and takes out Mjöllnir, the handle is a bit short (making it one handed). Yet Eitri and Brokkr win the bet which was Loki's head, but the bet cannot be honoured since they need to cut the neck as well, which was not part of the deal. So Brokkr sews Loki's mouth to teach him a lesson.

From the comics:

The hammer's origin is revealed in a Thor Annual. Thor's adopted brother Loki cuts off the hair of the goddess Sif as part of a cruel jest, and when threatened with violence by Thor, promises to fetch replacement hair from the dwarf smiths. Loki commissions the hair from the Sons of Ivaldi and the obliging dwarves also make a magic ship and spear as gifts for the gods. Loki is convinced that no one can match their workmanship, and challenges a dwarf named Eitri to make finer treasures. Eitri creates a golden ring and golden boar with magical properties, and finally begins work on a hammer. Loki panics at the sight of the treasures, and afraid he will lose the wager, transforms himself into a mayfly and stings Eitri's assistant on the brow as he is working the bellows for the forge. The assistant stops for a moment to wipe away the blood, and the bellows fall flat - the end result being that the hammer is shorter in the handle than Eitri originally intended.

Making it two-handed defeats the point, because it's not a two-handed weapon. That's not an accident on the part of artists back in the day. That was an important detail that they captured, and is a defining characteristic of Mjolnir. It's supposed to have a handle that's so short that it can't be wielded two-handed. All-in-all, I'd prefer a Mjolnir which is true to both the mythology and the comics, instead of one which contradicts both sources. So no long handles.

And yep, I vote for 616 version, not Ultimates version. I don't want to see hide nor hair of anything related to Ultimates Thor. The real Thor is what should be portrayed in the movies, and not that horrible Ultimates version. The last thing we need is to enshrine an alternate reality version of Thor into the minds of the general populace and have them think it's the real thing, when it's not. That includes everything from his awful costume to his "hammer", which looks nothing like Mjolnir should look like.

Yeah somewhere in the thread we've been over the myth and Comic history of Mjolnir CM.
By the way Welcome aboard! glad to have another Thor fan that knows their stuff!

yea i dont see why they wouldnt go with 616 thor hammer. I would have a wooden handle with a sweet pattern on it with maybe a strap on the end of it. Then a stone looking hammer part(made of rubber just to be lighter for actor to hold and use. )

I'd go with a slightly more ornate design but retain the basic shape. Some things need to be made more realistic for a live-action film and the plain comic book version looks too cartoonish IMHO. Especially considering who crafted it! A nice touch would be to have the inscription appear in norse runes that literally (or figuratively) become whatever language the wielder understands.

Thanks pifpaf, but THIS is What I just found on Marvel's Thor Movie Hub. Not exactly sure it's THE Movie Mjolnir or not.
Thormarvelmoviepgheader.jpg

I bet it'll be 616 for Thor and Ultimate for Avengers. S.H.E.I.L.D will give him a new costume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"