[Thor Movie] Which version of Mjolnir to use?

Ronan's new hammer is pretty close to how I'd like Thor's to look. I'll post a pic later.

This one? Cause yeah, that's the perfect size. :up:

Ronan03.jpg

The proportions on that hammer are good, but Mjolnir needs to be symmetrical. I don't want a chunk missing from one end of it like that.
That's good but I think a handle the size of a two handed broadsword works just fine. Something barely big enough for two hands.

A nice cinder block sized hammer head would be nice too. Something you can really feel the power from when it strikes a surface.
A broadsword handle would be too short for my liking. Broadswords and hammers are weighted differently, which means the mechanics of how they're swung is different. Such a short handle, even if Thor could fit both hands on it, would make for a totally ineffective swing. Thor would look sort of silly swinging it two-handed at someone.

From the head of the hammer to the tip of the leather thong, maybe. Just the hilt itself should not be that long.

It started in Captain Britain. Alan Moore described a multiverse were there are a mariad of alternate realites (or Earths). Our earth was coined Earth 616.

It's similiar to DC and there Earth 1, earth 2 etc................

Hmm. Then what Earth does the Ultimates version takes place? Or what exactly does that all mean? (Can you tell which era I'm concerned with and that I haven't bought a new book in 20 yrs?)

It doesn't really mean anything, it's just a convenient way for comic geeks to refer to the main Marvel universe instead of always saying "the main Marvel universe." The Ultimate universe does have a designation (Earth-1610, according to Marvel.com), but people generally just refer to that as "the Ultimate universe."

They should most certainly use the classic version because it's the best design of Mjolnir EVER. However, they should make it appear much bigger and not look like the size of your average hammer. It needs to look heavy, especially since it actually is.

I'd like to see the 616, more detailed and buffed up, movie magic style.

I'm hoping that for most of the movie he still can't lift the hammer, if this is supposed to be something of an origin story. Did anyone ever read those comics about Thor in training? He was a teenager in them and he couldn't lift the hammer until he went to hell to get Sif back from Hela. I forget what the series was called.

Possibly Son of Asgard.

I think that would largely make for one potentially boring plot point, personally. Many of us have been waiting years to see Thor wallop some frost-giants with Mjolnir on the big screen; I wouldnt like to see that wait extended even further because of an aspect of the story that has intentionally been put in.

An aspect which could just as easily be omitted.

i think him getting it in the first place could play a small part in the film

The film should end with him being punished on earth for not doing something and his mission was the retrieve it back.

unfortunately though, it was moved from its original position by loki and somehow finds himself in some assylum.

bring in tony stark cameo at the end with a very big briefcase

Possibly Son of Asgard.

I think that would largely make for one potentially boring plot point, personally. Many of us have been waiting years to see Thor wallop some frost-giants with Mjolnir on the big screen; I wouldnt like to see that wait extended even further because of an aspect of the story that has intentionally been put in.

An aspect which could just as easily be omitted.
But look at what made Iron Man and Incredible Hulk so good. They held off on the really cool stuff so that when you saw it, it was amazing. If you had seen Stark in armor kicking ass, or Banner Hulked out and taking names the whole movie they would largely lose there affect. It just works much better. They did that with the Hulk in Hulk and you saw how that turned out. Save it for a sequel, or Avengers.

I'm not at all saying don't have it. But maybe have him use other weapons most of the film, and in the last 30 minutes in a final battle with Trolls frost giants and all Loki's other agents with the hammer in hand. The affect would be 10x better.

I would prefer to see Thor kicking some frost-giant asses in the second act. Antecipation building is fine, but they shouldn't extend it too much.

But look at what made Iron Man and Incredible Hulk so good. They held off on the really cool stuff so that when you saw it, it was amazing. If you had seen Stark in armor kicking ass, or Banner Hulked out and taking names the whole movie they would largely lose there affect. It just works much better. They did that with the Hulk in Hulk and you saw how that turned out. Save it for a sequel, or Avengers.

I'm not at all saying don't have it. But maybe have him use other weapons most of the film, and in the last 30 minutes in a final battle with Trolls frost giants and all Loki's other agents with the hammer in hand. The affect would be 10x better.

I get what you're saying. Hell, I'll even admit that it makes sense - I'm just saying that it'll kill me.

I'll be literally squirming in my cinema seat waiting impatiently for Thor to finally be able to unleash Mjolnir and go medeival on some frost giant asses.

Personally, the best way to start any big fantasy epic is with a prelude battle. Start the film off with frost giants getting their asses kicked--not necessarily by Thor--and you'd have filled your action quotient enough to build the story up through acts one and two before giving Thor some stuff to beat in act three.
i think him getting it in the first place could play a small part in the film

The film should end with him being punished on earth for not doing something and his mission was the retrieve it back.

unfortunately though, it was moved from its original position by loki and somehow finds himself in some assylum.

bring in tony stark cameo at the end with a very big briefcase
A briefcase containing what? A lot of money to secure Thor's release from the asylum? Certainly, Tony wouldn't be carrying Mjolnir around in a briefcase, since he can't lift it... :huh:

Personally, the best way to start any big fantasy epic is with a prelude battle. Start the film off with frost giants getting their asses kicked--not necessarily by Thor--and you'd have filled your action quotient enough to build the story up through acts one and two before giving Thor some stuff to beat in act three.

A briefcase containing what? A lot of money to secure Thor's release from the asylum? Certainly, Tony wouldn't be carrying Mjolnir around in a briefcase, since he can't lift it... :huh:
Maybe he'll have Steve Rogers holding the brief case. :woot:

just because someone can't weild it doesn't mean one couldn't get it transported.

I suppose if he had a robot hanging around, he could have that carry it. But based on his movie, Tony's robots don't seem to be very good at anything.

It doesn't work that way. Remember it was considered amazing when Awesome Android was able to lift the hammer? I don't think any robot could just pick it up. It has nothing to do with weight.

Nah, any robot could pick it up. It's been established that robots can lift it. They don't get the powers of Thor, since they're effectively bypassing the enchantment altogether, so it's just a chunk of metal to them.

I'm no artist by any means but I did a quick sketch of what i'd like Mjolnir to be close to in looks. I'd like to see it have at least a 2 foot long handle, with a massive hammer head at the top, with a ring at the bottom for a strap to connect to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"