Thor: The Dark World ...DVD

Definitely picking up the steelbook, but I wish this had been the artwork instead:

images

I was going to get the Target Loki cover because I thought the others were pretty bland, but that steelbook case is fantasic! Is that for Best Buy?

I don't know where that one came from (fan-made? international?).

As far as I can tell, this is the Best Buy steel book:
88890_slip.jpg

EDIT: Considering what looks like the Paramount logo on this cover, I'd say it's fan made.
images

When asked where the image came from, the original poster never came back and answered.

EDIT #2: fixed the image link above.

Last edited:
Aw come on man Thor has had his moments in these movies,and I think he still will have.

I was intially pretty satisfied with the way Malekith was defeated, until I read what the original ending was. Thor was going to gather the lightning from all of the nine realms and strike Malkeith with a humongous lightning attack. But no, that was too epic for Marvel Studios so they had to work in and ending where Jane & Co. help. I've honestly lost a good bit of respect for Marvel Studios and I'm not that excited for Thor 3 anymore

Yeah, they need more epicness, creativity, and wild imagination for Thor 3. Less cutesy stuff, less goofball comedy. Especially if they're planning on Surtur.

Yeah, they need more epicness, creativity, and wild imagination for Thor 3. Less cutesy stuff, less goofball comedy. Especially if they're planning on Surtur.

The final act's comedy didn't really bother me at first, but now that I've found out it was put in place of something truely epic I'm highly disappointed.

Last edited:
I was intially pretty satisfied with the way Malekith was defeated, until I read what the original ending was. Thor was going to gather the lightning from all of the nine realms and strike Malkeith with a humongous lightning attack. But no, that was too epic for Marvel Studios so they had to work in and ending where Jane & Co. help. I've honestly lost a good bit of respect for Marvel Studios and I'm not that excited for Thor 3 anymore

:doh:Goddamn you, Marvel!:cmad: Who in the hell thought the ending we got was better than that ending!? Let me see them so they can justify this with a straight face. It's like Marvel is going out of their way to shortchange Thor. He's the God of thunder but instead of having him use an epic lightning strike culled from energy of the nine realms to kill Mal they have him get his ass handed to him until his human girlfriend and her Benny hill goofball sidekicks use their completely B.S. science to weaken the supervillain so that Thor, a god-like being, can kill him. Yeah, that is completely logical.:o

Really wish I had never found this out. I was just getting to the point where I could tolerate this movie. Now the already mediocre finale seems even worse.

Last edited:
:doh:Goddamn you, Marvel!:cmad: Who in the hell thought the ending we got was better than that ending!? Let me see them so they can justify this with a straight face. It's like Marvel is going out of their way to shortchange Thor. He's the God of thunder but instead of having him use an epic lightning strike culled from energy of the nine realms to kill Mal they have him get his ass handed to him until his human girlfriend and her Benny hill goofball sidekicks use their completely B.S. science to weaken the supervillain so that Thor, a god-like being, can kill him. Yeah, that is completely logical.:o

Really wish I had never found this out. I was just getting to the point where I could tolerate this movie. Now the already mediocre finale seems even worse.

People used to say I was reaching or asking for too much whenever I said something about Marvel short changing Thor. Now with this new information being released I don't know how anybody could not think they're purposely short chaging him.

Honestly, while that ending and idea is awesome, I am glad the movie ended the way it did. Why you ask? Same reason turning back time in Superman: The Movie was a bad idea: how do you top it? When you establish Thor doing that, then how will you top that when he has to, say, beat Surtur? Have him do it again? I'd honestly rather see that idea used in Thor 3 in order to defeat Surtur (or whoever the main threat ends up being), as opposed to beating Malekith. I think it's more epic to end the solo-Hemms series on that type of note, rather than use it in the middle chapter. Heck, maybe save that for Avengers 3 in the battle against Thanos!

Honestly, while that ending and idea is awesome, I am glad the movie ended the way it did. Why you ask? Same reason turning back time in Superman: The Movie was a bad idea: how do you top it? When you establish Thor doing that, then how will you top that when he has to, say, beat Surtur? Have him do it again? I'd honestly rather see that idea used in Thor 3 in order to defeat Surtur (or whoever the main threat ends up being), as opposed to beating Malekith. I think it's more epic to end the solo-Hemms series on that type of note, rather than use it in the middle chapter. Heck, maybe save that for Avengers 3 in the battle against Thanos!

Because it's not always about being able to top yourself. Thor doesn't need to top that lightning strike. He just needs to handle his next villain in an equally creative way. Joss Whedon gets this and has said it's not about topping everything he did last time. Also Nolan got this. He didn't hold something back cause he was afraid he couldn't top it or needed to save it to the last film. In each film he gave it his all and did what he wanted to do. Then if he got another film he did what he needed to do in that film. This saving the best for last or holding back for fear of not being able to top it is an awful way to run a creative process. Whatever film they are producing should be the best it can be and not artificially constrained. They could have went ahead with this in this film. Then in his next film he could use Mjolnir in an equally epic yet different way. There is no need to save an idea for down the road. Use the ideas you've got and let the next director come up with his own cool Thor moments on the next film.

That lightning strike would have been the most talked about thing in the film. Kids minds would have been blown. Hell, my mind would have been blown. Instead Thor throws some B.S. earth science rod things into our villain and some pseudo science stuff happens. Hell, I can't even recall the finer details of how he finished Mal cause it so damn stupid. I vaguely remember his ship may have fallen on him. Which is good in a comedic way, I guess.:dry:

*And, please please, let's not turn this into a flame war just cause I mentioned Nolan. I'm just pointing out the differences in the creative processes. I like DC and Marvel and will not engage in any back and forth about which is better. They both have pros and cons. Neither is perfect.

Last edited:
So there is absolutely no indication as to whether or not we are getting anything to expand the Dark Elf scenes in the movie, deleted scenes or even storyboards?

I'm also upset that they killed both Kurse and Malekith, I'm sure if they want to keep going for an indefinite amount of Phases it be in their best interest to stop killing off villains, especially with half their best ones tied up with different companies.

Because it's not always about being able to top yourself. Thor doesn't need to top that lightning strike. He just needs to handle his next villain in an equally creative way. Joss Whedon gets this and has said it's not about topping everything he did last time. Also Nolan got this. He didn't hold something back cause he was afraid he couldn't top it or needed to save it to the last film. In each film he gave it his all and did what he wanted to do. Then if he got another film he did what he needed to do in that film. This saving the best for last or holding back for fear of not being able to top it is an awful way to run a creative process. Whatever film they are producing should be the best it can be and not artificially constrained. They could have went ahead with this in this film. Then in his next film he could use Mjolnir in an equally epic yet different way. There is no need to save an idea for down the road. Use the ideas you've got and let the next director come up with his own cool Thor moments on the next film.

That lightning strike would have been the most talked about thing in the film. Kids minds would have been blown. Hell, my mind would have been blown. Instead Thor throws some B.S. earth science rod things into our villain and some pseudo science stuff happens. Hell, I can't even recall the finer details of how he finished Mal cause it so damn stupid. I vaguely remember his ship may have fallen on him. Which is good in a comedic way, I guess.:dry:

*And, please please, let's not turn this into a flame war just cause I mentioned Nolan. I'm just pointing out the differences in the creative processes. I like DC and Marvel and will not engage in any back and forth about which is better. They both have pros and cons. Neither is perfect.

I wasn't even going to mention Nolan, LOL! But, I do wish TDKR had a more creative ending because it ended too similarly to BB. You're recalling Malekith's death correctly. I see your point about not saving things, but I don't entirely agree with it. Look at Superman: The Movie. Now that you established he can reverse time, then where is the struggle? If anyone gets in trouble, he can simply just spin the Earth back and try again. It hurts the stakes of the series. I'd rather not see that in the 1st movie. In the case of the lightning strike, I have a similar feeling. True, they can come up with something for Thor 3 if this had been used, but most ideas off the top of my head are similar. Odin Force juices him, he taps in Yggdrasil, etc. Doesn't mean another one isn't out there, but it's what I am coming up with right now. Plus, I think they wanted the humans to do something other than run and stare at the very end.

Exactly right. I love the ending as is and will not project anything. If they shot that lightning storm maybe it would have been cheesy BS? Maybe they would have had to cut other scenes in the movie to make room in the budget? Who knows and who cares? The film had more than enough spectacle.

Anyway, I love that the Target version also includes a free month trial to Marvel Unlimited digital comics. I'm going to buy that and give it to my niece. She's been wanting to get more in to the books and this is the perfect opportunity to get her going it seems.

All Hail the King...couldn't resist...just watched it.....and was done well.....explains it all in detail...no spoilers....just make sure you pick it up...its worth it.

Is this true? If so its ridiculous, that would have been an amazing ending and just further shows that Marvel were half-assing this sequel from the start.

When this was 1st announced I said nothing is stopping this movie being bigger and better than The Avengers, it seems I didnt count on Marvel being its own worst enemy.

That ending to the final battle would have been amazing. And the amount of humour in the finale pisses me off even more now considering those characters didnt even need to be there.

I can agree with previous posters that they might have thought that attack was so epic that it be better suited for a bigger threat, such as Sutur or an Avengers foe.

The way they did it wasn't bad, I still think it's worse that all these villains are getting killed all the time.

Is this true? If so its ridiculous, that would have been an amazing ending and just further shows that Marvel were half-assing this sequel from the start.

When this was 1st announced I said nothing is stopping this movie being bigger and better than The Avengers, it seems I didnt count on Marvel being its own worst enemy.

That ending to the final battle would have been amazing. And the amount of humour in the finale pisses me off even more now considering those characters didnt even need to be there.

Same here :up:

Preordered mine through amazon and it came today! I've got family stuff this evening, but I'll be checking out the bonus features tonight.

Same here :up:

:up: Just cannot understand Marvel sometimes, TIH, Iron Man 2 and now Thor 2 all have suffered just because they stupidly interfered for no reason.

Hopefully Thor 3 has a smoother transition to the big screen.

:up: Just cannot understand Marvel sometimes, TIH, Iron Man 2 and now Thor 2 all have suffered just because they stupidly interfered for no reason.

Hopefully Thor 3 has a smoother transition to the big screen.

Now Captain America: The Winter Soldier has been revealed to have a running time of 2 hours 16 minutes.

I think it's evident that Marvel Studios just doesn't take Thor as seriously as Cap and Iron Man.

Last edited:
Now Captain America: The Winter Soldier has been revealed to have a running time of 2 hours 16 minutes.

I think it's evident that Marvel Studios just doesn't take Thor as seriously as Cap and Iron Man.

Where is this info????? Someone wants to know :cap:

Why am I not surprised by that runtime for Winter Soldier. Watch and see, GOTG will be less than 2 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"