Thundercats ROAR back to Cartoon Network

This is getting so much flack online, it’s kind of insane. Fans of the show, who are adults, can be upset but this version of the seriesisn’t for them, it’s for kids 6-11. Also, this looks nothing like Steven Universe. Ok Ko? Barely but I can see it. I do wish this had a little more polish but it is what it is. The 2013 series is available for anyone who doesn’t like it (which looked amazing... but was the story good?)

If everyone had your mindset we would have never gotten shows like Batman: The Animated Series or even this last crop of amazing shows in the 2010's "It's for kids° is just another way of saying "We don't have to try so hard.".

If everyone had your mindset we would have never gotten shows like Batman: The Animated Series or even this last crop of amazing shows in the 2010's "It's for kids° is just another way of saying "We don't have to try so hard.".

No, we still would have had that. BTAS was always meant for kids. Sure, it appealed to adults/teens/lots of groups because it was THAT good but don’t kid yourself, it was made to sell toys for kids and be watched by kids. Animation takes SO MUCH WORK and to anyone saying that they aren’t is an insult to anyone who works in animation/film. The direction change probably was brought on by TTGo success and the fact that the more serious reboot that happened didn’t do as well as they wanted so why fail again trying to do something similar to what was already done. Plus, it’s what kids are watching and seem to be enjoying right now.

Personally, the style isn’t the best... I wish they pushed for better shapes like the Lauren Faust DC Super Hero Show. It looks better to me.

Just because it’s not an adult fan’s Favorite version of the show, it doesn’t mean the artists behind the show aren’t trying their hardest. CN has some great shows still going (Adv Time is wrapping up, OKKO, Craig of the Creek are all great).

Last edited:
I'm saying it's for kids is a crutch used by bad shows. People need to stop saying it when defending something. It's hard to respect something like TTG when the creator doesn't seem to respect his own show judging by comments he's made. The whole phase opprates on the premise that children's content is inferior in my opinion.

Last edited:
But it is a kids show... It’s not aimed to please the adults that grew up with the 80s version to enjoy. I don’t follow TTGo or the creator but again, that’s made for kids to enjoy and not adults.

In a perfect world, kids tv remakes would be made to be both enjoyed by the original fans and kids who have never watched it before. Plus, all of the older versions of the show still exist for adults to rewatch and still enjoy the show they loved.

But it is a kids show... It’s not aimed to please the adults that grew up with the 80s version to enjoy. I don’t follow TTGo or the creator but again, that’s made for kids to enjoy and not adults.

In a perfect world, kids tv remakes would be made to be both enjoyed by the original fans and kids who have never watched it before. Plus, all of the older versions of the show still exist for adults to rewatch and still enjoy the show they loved.

It doesn't have to appeal to adults necessarily. I just feel like we sell kids short and It's less about me not liking this direction and more wondering where this current trend of zero variety came from? Do kids really want all slice of life shows? Or is some suit going by charts and graphs? That's where I'm coming from.

Last edited:
Its a weird argument that kids don't like really good shows or movies. Some of the most popular shows and films work beyond be shiny and funny for kids. Look at the hype for Incredibles 2.

It’s funny that Adults are the ones telling kids what’s good and what’s not. If a kid likes Teen Titans Go (Which isn’t slice of life) or Thundercats Roar (which also isn’t fully slice of life... it seems) along with OK KO,AT and Creek, then hasn’t CN done its job?

It’s funny that Adults are the ones telling kids what’s good and what’s not. If a kid likes Teen Titans Go (Which isn’t slice of life) or Thundercats Roar (which also isn’t fully slice of life... it seems) along with OK KO,AT and Creek, then hasn’t CN done its job?

Where exactly did I tell kids what to like....Oh right, I didn't.

Last edited:
Who said that? You are the one arguing that these things don't have to be particularly good because they are for kids. :huh:

Where exactly did Itell kids what to like....Oh right, I didn't.

I didn’t quote you for a reason as it was more of a broader statement towards what I was seeing on Twitter/YouTube and other forums and the general fanboy hate that TTG receives, despite being so popular with kids (the target demographic for the show!)

Who said that? You are the one arguing that these things don't have to be particularly good because they are for kids. :huh:

I might have been misunderstood/or you took my words in the wrong way. I just said that these shows aren’t made for adults. I like smart children’s tv that can be enjoyed by many age groups, it’a Just not what th is show was meant for. It’s the reason why the animated Batman/JL series on CN have been more kid friendly and light. Because of that sort of decision, DC can use the money they earned off of those shows and produce the darker, grittier direct to video DCAU films that their adult fans can enjoy.

Last edited:
Too bad the DC animated films are incredibly forced. Most of them would work just fine without the explicit content.

Too bad the DC animated films are incredibly forced. Most of them would work just fine without the explicit content.

Well that’s something we can agree on. Especially the recent ones.

I will be the first to tell you this is not a show I would have watched between age 6-11, and I was into all kinds of nerdy stuff as a kid. The cartoons I watched when I was younger are still appreciated largely by adults today. So what's this argument about this is for kids?

Thinking about it, yeah, the same for me. There are a couple that I can't believe I watched, but stuff like BTAS, Rugrats, Doug, Rocko, TMNT, etc. I still enjoy them.

Thundercats 1985 - Aimed at kids.

Annual_1985.jpg

Thundercats 2011 - Aimed at kids.

thundercats-2011-58832bf9e9f7c.jpg

Thundercats 2018 - Aimed at babies.

thundercats-roar-poster-600x900.jpg

It doesn't have to appeal to adults necessarily. I just feel like we sell kids short and It's less about me not liking this direction and more wondering where this current trend of zero variety came from? Do kids really want all slice of life shows? Or is some suit going by charts and graphs? That's where I'm coming from.

Charts and graphs since network tv is dying so to speak.
Kids have the internet like never before, which means cartoons from around the world. Videogames essentially already opt for the more action-oriented shows.

If they pony up the cash for something more expensive when they can just make more shows for that same expensive budget, they have to then also make sure a significant return can be made from this more expensive show.

Another reminder for why most of the DC stuff is dtv as much of it as there is and any ongoing show is shorter/ep than they used to be.

Is the 2011 series any good?

Last edited:

Pretty good, wish they continued it rather than leaving it unresolved. A peg above or on par with the current Netfilx Voltron I'd say.

I'd say very much. The animation is crisp, the art style is fresh yet feels faithful to the original and the change in their origin is really good.

It is a shame it never continued. The first season felt like a world builder but still had some good character eps.

Give it a watch. The opening 2/3 (can't remember lol) parter is epic.

It's a very good reboot/reimagining.

I really love the 2011 series. So many thoughtful episodes. The Petellar(?) episode actually got me choked up at the end.

The opening episodes where epic. It was a great start to the series. Truly epic.

Hmm, never seen the 2011 series. Might check it out.

Who is telling kids what to like and what not to like here? We are just expressing criticism over this new Thundercats animated series.

The 2011 series was everything I basically wanted out of a modern animated reboot of a classic series. Unfortunately, it was too good than what the teeming masses deserve. And people watched it, but simply not enough to support the show. No one bought the toys or the merch.

That being said, Cartoon Network did a terrible job of supporting and promoting the show. There were no replays at all. And they constantly moved it around the schedule.

Last edited:
Maybe we should just ignore this thing? Maybe all the people who think this looks terrible are helping the show by talking about it. Talking about it on Twitter is just going to boost visibility of Thundercats ROAR. Everyone wiil feel the need to watch this to be part of the conversation and then we have another lightning rod show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"