Tilda Swinton Cast as The Ancient One

A few quick points.

1. I am no left leaning SJW. I am middle ground thinker with both flexible conservative a liberal views.

2. I am against race and gender bending of any kind.

3. I'm Black and I HATE IT when hypocritical liberals think or insist that we should all share their same liberal views because we are Black and that if we don't agree with them that it gives them a pass to call us an "Uncle Tom" or "idiots".

4. I think that far left liberals are just as hypocritical,full of crap,and as bad as far right conservatives. They are both opposite sides of the same coin.

5. I am not overly/unreasonably PC. However, I am reasonably and moderately PC. And yes, I think that society has become too PC.

6. When you say that this cast has "a white woman,a Black man,a woman, and an Asian man", I notice that you didn't mention the woman's race, and that is the crux of the problem. You make it seem like that casting a white woman in the role is some how proof that this movie is diverse. Here's the thing that you don't seem to understand, it is easier for a white woman to get a role in a Hollywood movie then it is for an Asian man or an Asian woman. So giving the role of the Ancient One to a white woman doesn't say "diversity" to me.

1- Ok then...
2-So you're against race and gender bending correct ? What are your thoughts about Mordo who wasn't black in the comics ? Surely it would upset you a lot too based on your viewpoint ?
3-I agree with you on point 3.
4-Agree.
5-Same here.
6-And here we disagree. Let's start with how TAO is a small role, an important role, but she's just there for the transformation. Aside of the villain the 3 most important roles are STRANGE-MORDO-WONG in that order. When was the last time we had a blockbuster movie where the 3-4 main lead people had a white, black and asian man in it ? In the MCU we've had maybe a lot of white man and a smaller black man role with Falcon, War Machine which they made look like a token black friend but whatever but we never had a diverse cast like this one in the entire MCU. It was mostly a lead white man a token black friend and that's it. This time around we have not only an important role played by a black man but also an asian man. To me having a woman in a role is adding diversity regardless of her race. Would it have been better if it was asian or any other race sure but not for TAO as I mentioned then it would be stereotypical which you can't escape as I've explained it in depth before to which you didn't reply. Now wether you like it or not and based on the criticism which is far too much then it truly deserves this movie is more diverse than most Hollywood blockbusters. Look at BvS all white, Nolans Batman mostly white look at XMen mostly white despite having infinitely more characters for a single film then you look at this film they made a very important character black they still have cast an asian man in a very crucial role and they changed only 1 small yet important part because of valid reasons. If they truly cared about whitewashing just to whitewash then they wouldn't cast a black man in a white role on top of that they would just cast another white man a la Nolan in Wongs role. And about your ''white'' woman issue. A black man has it much easier than an asian man etc. but it doesn't take away the fact that it is diversity. Yes white woman has it much easier compared and it is one thing that annoys me (take Ghostbusters, Star Wars, Rogue One for example why do these lead female characters have to be white for gods sake ? Why couldn't they be Asian for example or Latino ? Or Arab ? Surely they could re-write things to make sense for them) but in TAO's case we're talking about a stereotypical SMALL role not a leading role which to me isn't as big of an issue as say the movies I mentioned above which are LEADING characters. Yet they aren't getting a fraction of the criticism this film is getting for a very small role. Do you see where I'm going with this ? I would say that if there are 4 leading characters in Dr.Strange 2 of them are asian and black. But you'd think this movie has no diversity at all. And based on the bolded part the amount of criticism it gets compared to a lot of other films which have barely any diversity in it and are rarely if ever getting criticisized I find all of this to be very hypocritical and insincere and as a minority this pisses me off the most.

I don't disagree with you but Falcon and Black Panther are awesome in the movies not just side characters though.

I don't disagree with you but Falcon and Black Panther are awesome in the movies not just side characters though.

And War Machine. He was awesome in Iron Man 2. He got less awesome in future films since nobody wanted to do anything cool or interesting with Rhodey.

Well the characters and actors portraying them are great. But I'd have liked them to get a bit more screentime and cred especially War Machine. I feel like I'm going to get that with Ejiofor as Mordo who I view as more of an equal to Strange and in some ways superior at least for a long while in the film. I see a lot of potential in Ejiofors role and I hope they do a good job with that. Most people are focusing on Mikkelsen but I'm very intrigued with how they're going to handle Ejiofors Mordo because from the little things they've teased us about the character it all sounded pretty exciting. And not to mention that Ejiofor is a magnificent actor who can do so much with so little.

Civil War:
Black Panther have a lot of screentime in Civil War, and he is really awesome.
Falcon also have much screentime and I found him even better than in the Winter Soldier.
I like War Marchine less and he have less screentime but he is cool.

2-So you're against race and gender bending correct ? What are your thoughts about Mordo who wasn't black in the comics ? Surely it would upset you a lot too based on your viewpoint ?

When I say that I'm against "ALL" race and gender bending, I mean "ALL". So yes, I'm against Mordo being race bent in te film and I have said so many times over on the bleeding cool forums and on these forums. I'm also against the Ultimate and MCU version of Nick Fury being Black and Elektra being Asian in the DD TV series (I would have had less of a problem if they had said that she was half Greek and half Asian, but tey decided to make her the adopted). I'm also against changing the sexuality of characters from that of what said characters creators intended them to be.

6-And here we disagree. Let's start with how TAO is a small role, an important role, but she's just there for the transformation. Aside of the villain the 3 most important roles are STRANGE-MORDO-WONG in that order. When was the last time we had a blockbuster movie where the 3-4 main lead people had a white, black and asian man in it ? In the MCU we've had maybe a lot of white man and a smaller black man role with Falcon, War Machine which they made look like a token black friend but whatever but we never had a diverse cast like this one in the entire MCU. It was mostly a lead white man a token black friend and that's it. This time around we have not only an important role played by a black man but also an asian man. To me having a woman in a role is adding diversity regardless of her race. Would it have been better if it was asian or any other race sure but not for TAO as I mentioned then it would be stereotypical which you can't escape as I've explained it in depth before to which you didn't reply. Now wether you like it or not and based on the criticism which is far too much then it truly deserves this movie is more diverse than most Hollywood blockbusters. Look at BvS all white, Nolans Batman mostly white look at XMen mostly white despite having infinitely more characters for a single film then you look at this film they made a very important character black they still have cast an asian man in a very crucial role and they changed only 1 small yet important part because of valid reasons. If they truly cared about whitewashing just to whitewash then they wouldn't cast a black man in a white role on top of that they would just cast another white man a la Nolan in Wongs role. And about your ''white'' woman issue. A black man has it much easier than an asian man etc. but it doesn't take away the fact that it is diversity. Yes white woman has it much easier compared and it is one thing that annoys me (take Ghostbusters, Star Wars, Rogue One for example why do these lead female characters have to be white for gods sake ? Why couldn't they be Asian for example or Latino ? Or Arab ? Surely they could re-write things to make sense for them) but in TAO's case we're talking about a stereotypical SMALL role not a leading role which to me isn't as big of an issue as say the movies I mentioned above which are LEADING characters. Yet they aren't getting a fraction of the criticism this film is getting for a very small role. Do you see where I'm going with this ? I would say that if there are 4 leading characters in Dr.Strange 2 of them are asian and black. But you'd think this movie has no diversity at all. And based on the bolded part the amount of criticism it gets compared to a lot of other films which have barely any diversity in it and are rarely if ever getting criticisized I find all of this to be very hypocritical and insincere and as a minority this pisses me off the most.
First of all, the last time that we had a blockbuster movie with an even larger diverse main cast (more than 4 lead characters) was FAST AND THE FURIOUS 6 (which also included 2 heroic lead Asian characters).

Second of all, the 4 main characters of the DR. STRANGE movie would still be diverse if the 4 leads were played by 2 white men and 2 Asian men. Also, making Mordo Black doesn't mean a damn thing since the role is basically a table scrap that they tossed us. In other words, instead of casting the actor to play the Black heroic Doctor Voodoo they cast him to play the white bad guy. And unless you've seen the movie or read the script, how do you know that the role of TAO will be a small role in this movie? Remember, this is an adaption so they might have made TAO role in this movie a lot larger in the film. As for the TAO being a stereotype, I disagree since characters like TAO are often found in modern Asian entertainment. Hell, if the role of TAO was such a stereotypical role then most of the Asians complaining about the white washing of the role wouldn't have been complaining. I've also have never heard any complaints from Asians saying that the old wise mystic Asian in the mountains was a stereotype.

Last edited:
Well the characters and actors portraying them are great. But I'd have liked them to get a bit more screentime and cred especially War Machine. I feel like I'm going to get that with Ejiofor as Mordo who I view as more of an equal to Strange and in some ways superior at least for a long while in the film. I see a lot of potential in Ejiofors role and I hope they do a good job with that. Most people are focusing on Mikkelsen but I'm very intrigued with how they're going to handle Ejiofors Mordo because from the little things they've teased us about the character it all sounded pretty exciting. And not to mention that Ejiofor is a magnificent actor who can do so much with so little.

He's playing the bad guy, there's not much that you can do with the character other then have him kill TAO and try to take over the world. I would be more excited if Ejiofor was playing the heroic Brother/Doctor Voodoo instead of a white bad guy.

I feel like I'm talking to a wall here. You're repeating the same ish over and over again and you're often wrong on a lot of things.

FF series has always had 2 lead characters Vin Diesel and Paul Walker rest were just supporting roles. Same with FF6. Still a movie with a lot of diversity in it but aside of Paul and Vin all were supporting roles even The Rock. You're definately wrong saying it had 2 lead asian actors. I only know Sung and he wasn't even credited in the top 6. You need to look up the definition of ''lead actor''.

And how do I know TAO is a small role ? Because it's small in the comics. He/She is there to teach Strange the mystical arts that's the purpose of the character nothing more nothing less. And they're not going to focus a large part of the movie on Strange as a student. It was always brief.

Well unless you've seen the movie I wouldn't jump to assumptions and conclusions how he's portrayed in the movies because they've shared that he isn't going to be as one-dimensional as the comics. Falcon is a heroic, guy, War Machine is a heroic guy, Black Panther is a heroic guy. Ejiofors Mordo isn't going to be heroic or just evil based on the little bits and pieces they shared about the direction they're going with Mordo. There is more to him and to me that's fascinating. But you're so obsessed with grouping certain people to certain roles that it's hard to discuss this further with you. i'm done writing about this in here everyone has shared their opinion about it (apologize to everyone for my thread pollution I should've said my thing once and moved on) would much rather we can get back to talking about this talented actress in this role instead of repeating the same ish over and over again we're past that point now. I kinda feel bad for Tilda too. She gets so much ish for just doing her job.

I feel like I'm talking to a wall here. You're repeating the same ish over and over again and you're often wrong on a lot of things.

You're the one who is wrong in this discussion.

FF series has always had 2 lead characters Vin Diesel and Paul Walker rest were just supporting roles. Same with FF6. Still a movie with a lot of diversity in it but aside of Paul and Vin all were supporting roles even The Rock. You're definately wrong saying it had 2 lead asian actors. I only know Sung and he wasn't even credited in the top 6. You need to look up the definition of ''lead actor''.

Diesel and Walker weren't the 2 leads in all of the F&F movies. Diesel (who is half Black, btw) wasn't the lead in F&F 2 and 3 and Walker wasn't the lead in F&F 3. In regards to F&F 6, the main/lead HEROES in that film were a racially diverse group of heroes, which included two heroic Asian characters. And yes, all of those characters names were in the very cool opening credits for that movie. See for yourself if you don't believe me.

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkrXd37BYIA[/YT]

And how do I know TAO is a small role ? Because it's small in the comics. He/She is there to teach Strange the mystical arts that's the purpose of the character nothing more nothing less. And they're not going to focus a large part of the movie on Strange as a student. It was always brief.

Apparently you don't know that much about TAO role in the comic books. In the comics, TAO often assisted and/or mentored Strange in several stories before he was "killed off". And even after his death (he actually became one with Eternity), his spirit often returned to help (and sometimes hinder) Strange off and on over the years. Also, like I said in my previous post, you can't say for sure if TAO role in the movie will be a small one. The fact that they are touting her as one of the main characters in this movie is proof that her role isn't that small.

Well unless you've seen the movie I wouldn't jump to assumptions and conclusions how he's portrayed in the movies because they've shared that he isn't going to be as one-dimensional as the comics.

He's still playing a white bad guy. Very few kids and adults (if any at all) are going to come out of that movie saying or wishing that they were the evil Mordo. How do you not see how suspect it is that they felt to cast a Black actor to play a mystical white villain when they could have easily cast that same actor to play either an existing mystical Black hero or could have created an original conflicted Black villain character for him to play.

Falcon is a heroic, guy, War Machine is a heroic guy, Black Panther is a heroic guy.

And after CA:CW, one of those 3 Black heroes have been (maybe permanently) taken off the board.

Ejiofors Mordo isn't going to be heroic or just evil based on the little bits and pieces they shared about the direction they're going with Mordo. There is more to him and to me that's fascinating.

Then that's not Mordo. They should have just created a brand new original character instead of race bending an evil white character so that they could hire Ejiofor to play him or in order to show people how "diverse" the cast is.

But you're so obsessed with grouping certain people to certain roles that it's hard to discuss this further with you. i'm done writing about this in here everyone has shared their opinion about it (apologize to everyone for my thread pollution I should've said my thing once and moved on) would much rather we can get back to talking about this talented actress in this role instead of repeating the same ish over and over again we're past that point now. I kinda feel bad for Tilda too. She gets so much ish for just doing her job.

Oh please. Someone points out that the reasons Marvel have given for white washing TAO are a load of BS, and you get upset and don't want to discuss the topic any more and try to sweep this white washing casting under the rug.

He's still playing a white bad guy. Very few kids and adults (if any at all) are going to come out of that movie saying or wishing that they were the evil Mordo. How do you not see how suspect it is that they felt to cast a Black actor to play a mystical white villain when they could have easily cast that same actor to play either an existing mystical Black hero or could have created an original conflicted Black villain character for him to play.
Playing a conflicted villain is what will be his role since he start as an ally in this film.
And he will probably be in several movie since he start as an ally in this one.

And villain can be awesome, I like a lot of villain like Loki, the Joker, Ramsay, Fisk, Kilgrave, etc
Malekith wasn't good, but Kurse was cool in Thor 2.

I am really looking forward Will Smith as Deadshot, and for Killer Croc in Suicide Squad.

Marvel was damned if they did and damned it they didn't. If they went with an actual Asian actor they would have gotten criticized for "Stereotyping".

Marvel went with the person who was the best actor, end of story.

Do you think that the Ancient One's real name is Agatha Harkness? Do you think that maybe Harkness and the Ancient One are folded toghether? I think they are. I think that the Ancient One will end up training Scarlet Witch as well as Strange.

Do you think that the Ancient One's real name is Agatha Harkness? Do you think that maybe Harkness and the Ancient One are folded toghether? I think they are. I think that the Ancient One will end up training Scarlet Witch as well as Strange.

I would love that twist, but I think Agatha may be tangled up with the FF rights. Even IF a recent deal has taken place behind the scenes and the Four can already be used by Marvel, they wouldn't have been back when this movie started production.

Putting all other issues aside, but on a purely performance-based view, Swinton was amazing as TAO.

Sorry to those who disagree, but I think this was brilliant casting.

Last edited:
FFS, Batmannerism, get a clue and use spoiler tags.

Actually, I know some of you just do this on purpose to get a rise out of people because you're immature twerps. There's no way anyone is stupid enough not to realize they're posting blatant spoilers.

Yeah. I did not like that spoiler either. :(

Considering that the movie hasn't even been released in US yet, threads like these should be safe.

Yeah. I did not like that spoiler either. :(

Considering that the movie hasn't even been released in US yet, threads like these should be safe.

Sincere apologies ! Was posting while half-asleep.

I have deleted the spoilery part of my post.

FFS, Batmannerism, get a clue and use spoiler tags.

Actually, I know some of you just do this on purpose to get a rise out of people because you're immature twerps. There's no way anyone is stupid enough not to realize they're posting blatant spoilers

While I apologize for posting a spoiler, you need to take it down a notch.

First, it actually wasn't deliberate, so no need to overreact.

Second, the film's out, and summaries of the plot are available on wikipedia and other places.

If I've ruined the film for you, I do apologize, but if a detail like that is going to significantly reduce your enjoyment, well maybe you should go see the Secret Life of Pets instead.

She was fine in the end. I don't know whether I would have preferred if they had been more faithful, didn't have much of a view on that beforehand, but what we got was fine. She took on the part well.

I reacted the way I did because this seems to happen too often. Yes, spoilers like that are huge and do make a difference and it's incredibly frustrating. Just be more careful.

She was fine in the end. I don't know whether I would have preferred if they had been more faithful, didn't have much of a view on that beforehand, but what we got was fine. She took on the part well.

Me neither. I've never read any Doctor Strange.

She managed to have flashes of sexiness, in spite of her best efforts.

I saw her previously in Snowpiercer as a psychopath- the lady is a chameleon just like Johnny Depp

I saw her previously in Snowpiercer as a psychopath- the lady is a chameleon just like Johnny Depp
even more. between Orlando, Gabriel in Constantine, the witch in Narnia, the vampire in Only Lovers Left Alive, Snowpiercer and TAO she's probably the most chameleonic actor alive

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"