Chiwetel Ejiofor IS Baron Mordo

I feel like he's going to be an anti hero more than anything else.

After seeing it again, I disagree, [BLACKOUT]that after credits scene, he was full on villainous.[/BLACKOUT]. To me at least.

That's not an anti-hero move at all, but he thinks he's doing the "right" thing. Still not an anti-hero though.

He's likely going to be one of those "villains who thinks that they're the hero" types. And hopefully, with this set-up, he ends up being one of those villains who's POV you can understand, even if you don't agree with it (or at least his methods).

That's not an anti-hero move at all, but he thinks he's doing the "right" thing. Still not an anti-hero though.

He's likely going to be one of those "villains who thinks that they're the hero" types. And hopefully, with this set-up, he ends up being one of those villains who's POV you can understand, even if you don't agree with it (or at least his methods).

Yeah both of these seem more likely. He will hopefully be an interesting [BLACKOUT]villain in the next movie.[/BLACKOUT]

I'm pretty sure he's meant to be villainous by the end.

I'm actually impressed that Marvel managed to keep him around, and had him be good in the first film. If the writers and producers do things right,
Mordo could be one of the best MCU villains (not saying much I know).

Well that's technically what Kaecilius thought he was in this movie :D .

^Yeah but he got far too little screentime and was underdeveloped. And also his motivations all happened off-screen. So it fell flat for me.

Mordo is different in that regard, so the potential is there much more with him.

Other than Strange himself, Mordo was easily my favorite character in the movie.

I have high hopes for him in the future. We need to get Dr. Strange 2 on the schedule, stat.

Chiwetel was phenomenal as Mordo. His face heel turn reminds me of Bret Hart's back in 1997 in that you could completely see where he was coming from. I was getting flashbacks of the Operative from Serenity during that post-credits scene.

I finally realized part-way through the movie that "oh my, Chiwetel is doing Shakespeare here." It's like Sir Anthony Hopkins in the first Thor movie. They were both REALLY going all Shakespearian with this material.

I like this take on the character. It's not the comics version of the character (Kaecilius is much closer to the comics character), but I like his philosophy and why that could cause him to become a villain. I think it sets up a lot going forward.

Loved how they chose to introduce this character & change him up a bit. And Chiwetel, as always, was a joy to watch.

I would say Mordo's becoming a villain is foreordained. However, he's going to be a complicated villain with legitimate ideological points and virtues, for whom villainy is not necessarily his only possible fate. After all, Strange beat one villain via negotiation, why not beat another with a philosophical debate? *eg*

Loved Chiwetel's Mordo. He seems so formidable.

He would probably work well in a film with another main villain who is less conflicted.

Well, all villains think they're doing something for the greater good. Hell even Joker thinks he is because normal everyday life for common schlubs is boring and he's perking it up.

Ejifor rocks it again.

Yeah both of these seem more likely. He will hopefully be an interesting [BLACKOUT]villain in the next movie.[/BLACKOUT]

I think he's clearly already on a villainous path, so they kinda do have to deal with it in Dr. Strange 2. It'll be weird enough to have this guy out here killing folks for 4 years unchecked, much less, like 8.

I think the after credits scene made a two dimensional villain out of a three dimensional character. That doesn't bode well, to me. Hopefully they can fix that by the next film. 'Epiphanies' are often lazy writing. He'll need to have compelling and empathetic reason to blame sorcerers for crimes against nature.

I don't see it as making him two-dimensional. It seems to be a natural progression of his character. Because of the actions of the Ancient One and Kaecilius, and to a lesser the attitude of Strange, he's come to view sorcerers as a threat to the Earth. Given that it almost got wiped out by Dormammu, he's not totally unjustified in that. So after thinking about it for a few months he decided the best way to protect the Earth would be to take out the other sorcerers. Now maybe the end up going a different direction in the sequel, which would be disappointing, but if they stick to what we see at the end of this film there shouldn't be a problem.

I can't see what many here are. This was a phenomenal actor given almost nothing to work with to my eyes. The film moves too fast, not developing this character nor explaining well at all the issues involved with why he feels betrayed by his mentor. We are given almost nothing to care about or be engaged with in terms of his arc. Ejiofor does his best with what he's given but this was a character that in terms of execution via the script and in the final film, cannot hold a candle to The Operative in Serenity at all. The potential with this cast and the mythos needs to be fulfilled in the next film.

Chiwetel was phenomenal as Mordo. His face heel turn reminds me of Bret Hart's back in 1997 in that you could completely see where he was coming from

It was a rehash of Loki's heel turn, but I thought Mordo was done good in its own right.

How close was he to playing T'Challa?

A few years back I totally would have pegged him for landing the role. Maybe his age cut against him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"