Tilda Swinton Cast as The Ancient One

Discussion in 'Doctor Strange' started by R_Hythlodeus, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Rowsdower! Registered

And don't forget about her role as the editor in Trainwreck. I didn't even realize that was her until MONTHS after I saw the movie. She's amazing.

2. fancyarcher Registered

I actually recognized her in Trainwreck, because of her voice. I also recognized her in Strange for the same reason, although going in I already knew who she was playing.

She's a shape-shifter of an actress, but her rarely changes as much. She's great as The Ancient One though.

3. Endeavor Que bolá con el timbeque?

Hey guys. Saw the movie, loved it.
    For those that have also seen it, question:

Based on the little info we got on Tilda's character in the movie, I've seen some online speculation [blackout] that she is actually another female character from the comics... This is something that caught me by surprise. I don't know who she could be. Could they be talking about Clea? I don't see how her being Celtic could link her to Clea... Maybe her link to the dark dimension and Dormammu, but I think even taking that into account it would be a stretch to consider her a reworked version of Clea. Is there maybe a more obscure character I'm not familiar with that would fit? [/blackout] Thoughts?

#453 Endeavor, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  4. DrCosmic Professor of Power

That doesn't seem to likely. They gave a bit of TAO's backstory, and it doesn't really fit with Clea. Also, not a love interest for Dr. Strange like Clea, also a different look. I think the MCU adapts characters a tiny bit more faithfully than that.

5. Endeavor Que bolá con el timbeque?

I agree. But [blackout]does what little we got of her fit someone else from the comics[/blackout]? That you know of, anyway.

6. Mr.T Registered

Don't forget about her in Constantine (underrated movie, IMO). She's an amazing actress and was great in Strange.

7. Wildcard Cataclysmic Titan

Her character in Trainwreck was brutal (I mean that in a good way). Tilda was hilarious there. I also think she's the best she's ever looked.

In DS Swinton was still superb, so there's no surprise there.
    I was highly pissed when she died and I find myself still kind of hoping she returns in some capacity down the line.

8. Finarfiniel Mistress of Magic

Tilda Swinton is one of my favourite actresses and I knew she'd knock it out of the park here because she always does without fail. She's definitely one of the most chameleon-like actresses out there (second only to a certain Ms. Blanchett in my humble opinion), in fact Marvel could probably cast her in a completely different role in the MCU, not tell anyone and no-one in the audience would probably have any idea. :funny:

She definitely gave my second favourite performance in the movie, after Cumberbatch of course.

9. Vartha Mod of Thunder

I had that dvd. The DISC is missing from it's case :(

10. Vartha Mod of Thunder

I seem to recall the original Ancient One being around in Astral Form talking to Strange every now and then. I hope they continue this, like she has risen to a higher level of consciousness

11. pr0xyt0xin Shaper Savant

Tilda Swinton was one of the top two or three things about this movie to me. A few of her lines really hit home to me.

The Ancient One: You think you know how the world works? You think that this material universe is all there is? What is "real"? What mysteries lie beyond the reach of your senses? At the root of existence, mind and matter meet. Thoughts form reality. This universe is only one of an infinite number. Worlds without end. Some benevolent and life-giving, others filled with malice and hunger. Dark places where powers older than time lie, ravenous and waiting. Who are you in this vast multiverse, Mr. Strange?

The Ancient One: Arrogance and fear still keep you from learning the simplest and most significant lesson of all.
    Dr. Strange: Which is?
    The Ancient One: It's not about you.

12. 2002SpideyFan Elite Mentor

MCU hates Asian, what can you say. They use excuses about the stereotypical nature of the characters only when an authentic depiction of those characters would hurt their box office results in Chinese market. We all know that Marvel, much like the rest of Hollywood, became CCP's sycophants, and that is horrible.

13. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Yes she had some great lines.

14. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

So, wait, they hate Asians because they. . . don't want to offend China?

15. Blitzkrieg Registered

So true, she was in fact the best thing about DS for me. Her heart to heart with Strange on the balcony was so poignant. Tilda acted the hell outta that scene. She was just amazing. It's a sad thing that she possibly won't feature in another MCU movie again.

16. Endeavor Que bolá con el timbeque?

I bet you she will. The Ancient One [blackout] pops in now and again in comics, even after his death.[/blackout]

17. 2002SpideyFan Elite Mentor

Offend China? How is China going to be offended if Marvel would've made the Ancient One Tibetan like in the comics? Ah, right, because China refuses to acknowledge the sovereignty of Tibet as a region. So that is why Marvel decided to pander to Chinese with Doctor Strange. Yeah, Marvel did not offended China... But they decided to pander to the CCP who've tried to eradicate Tibet and its people for a long time. (Good job, Marble.)

18. Solaire Registered

Ancient One was easily one of the best things about this film. She was badass and just an interesting character. Tilda definitely brought it, happy they went with her.

19. Monochron Registered

So I recently watched the Double Toasted interview with C. Robert Cargill.

Every excuse he gave about the reasons behind casting Tilda Swinton turned out to be complete bullcrap.

20. 2002SpideyFan Elite Mentor

Double Toasted interview was utter bullcrap. These two hosts thought that the Ancient One was some kind of a Fu Manchu esque villain, because the picture which they saw of him looked evil, and the screenwriter didn't even corrected them when they made this assumption.

21. Blitzkrieg Registered

I would love that. :up:

22. Guard82 Registered

Tilda was definitely one of the standouts in the film. She was great, and it was cool to have a woman playing such a important role with so much gravitas.

23. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Which is a legitimate criticism. . . that has nothing to do with the issue of Marvel allegedly being anti-asian bigots.

24. Midnite1971 Registered

Great interpretation.....her ending was impactful. She realized that there was no longer a need to use the Dark Dimension to extend her time. She accepted that her replacement had arrived. Loved it

25. Wildcard Cataclysmic Titan

Same. Looking back now, I think that is my favorite scene of the film. Such a peaceful moment with so much meaning behind it. One that finally hammers home some of the most important facts Strange keep stumbling over.

I don't know, man. Tilda might just have my favorite performance in a MCCU film yet, period.