The Dark Knight Rises Timeline of Nolan's trilogy.

CJ

Sidekick
Reaction score
I've seen this topic come up once or twice in TDK General Discussion thread, so I thought I'd make an official topic for it.

What years do the Nolan trilogy take place in?

According to TDKR Weapons Manual, TDK takes place in 2004. However, in the movie, a security photo of The Joker is dated: 7/18/2008. Just an Easter Egg or the actual date of events?

If TDK took place in 2004, then TDKR takes place in 2012.

If TDK took place in 2008, then TDKR takes place in 2016.

When did Batman Begins take place?

i thought in the manual or something, TDK takes place in 2008?

I think BB takes place 6 months before TDK,

BB Summer 2007
TDK Spring 2008

?

Joker: "A year ago these Cops and lawyers wouldn't dare cross any of you"

Batman Begins was in 2007

The Dark Knight was in 2008

The Dark Knight Rises is in 2016.

Imo, I don't take the weapons manuel thing as in-canon, but if you want to, then your dates for the film's timeline may in fact be different than mine.

Joker: "A year ago these Cops and lawyers wouldn't dare cross any of you"

right, but that doesn't mean Batman Begins took place one year ago,

it's just like saying " a year ago you could get a cheeseburger for $1" and the price might have gone up 6 months ago..

It's just a general statement of time, imo

but it could refer to the BB timeline of course

It definitely referred to BB being set last year of TDK.

Trying to put an exact date on it will just give you a headache.

BB

1 year later: TDK

8 years later: TDKR

BB is definitely set at least a year before TDK. They tie into each other. Harvey Dent being the new DA after the last went missing in BB.

But the Jokers "Let's rewind the clock's. A year ago..." line was pretty straight forward of an indication of time.

Let's see if we can get a glimpse of anything in this movie that might give us an indication of what year this takes place in. I doubt we will ever get an official timeline from Nolan.

Last edited:
I thought Nolans stated that BB and TDK are only 6 months apart

Judging by the timeline established by the Gotham Times, Begins and TDK are a little less than a year apart. The first issue of Times has a story about a family dealing with a recent resurgence of the Fear Toxin only "weeks after" the initial attack. The second Times issue also mentions some event that will "run through the end of summer", so I'd say 6 months time between the two movies, with TDK taking place during the summertime, isn't unreasonable.

Now with TDKR there's this shot from the NYC shoot:
6317437928_431c601b13_z.jpg

This is supposed to be like a promotional poster for a Gotham City museum exhibit. Despite the gorilla blocking our view, exhibits like this tend to run for a few months, so let's assume the dates are October 22, 2013 - March 12, 2014. They shot scenes with both artificial rain and snow, and there was plenty of on-location scenes that had neither, so the length of time TDKR takes place in is long enough to see changing seasons. Let's then assume the movie begins within the early run of this exhibition. TDKR in late 2013 - 8 = TDK taking place in late summer/early fall, Begins takes place late winter/early spring 2005...

...maybe lol

I've seen this topic come up once or twice in TDK General Discussion thread, so I thought I'd make an official topic for it.

What years do the Nolan trilogy take place in?

According to TDKR Weapons Manual, TDK takes place in 2004. However, in the movie, a security photo of The Joker is dated: 7/18/2008. Just an Easter Egg or the actual date of events?

If TDK took place in 2004, then TDKR takes place in 2012.

If TDK took place in 2008, then TDKR takes place in 2016.

When did Batman Begins take place?

This should help:

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=392719

I think the problem is the production designers on TDK put 2008 on cars and **** and it confused everybody. I don't think they were even told a date.

Really, I think trying to assign the date takes away from the experience. I usually like to think that Begins takes place in 2004, then TDK in 2005, then TDKR in 2013, that way the eight year gap lines up from when Batman Begins was being made.

However, yeah, trying to assign a date takes the timelessness and fantasy away from it. Even when I'm watching Superman 1978, I'm still able to lock myself in the fantasy of the movie to the point where I don't really notice that it's from a different decade all-together.

I think the problem is the production designers on TDK put 2008 on cars and **** and it confused everybody. I don't think they were even told a date.

TDK took place in 2008.

Really, I think trying to assign the date takes away from the experience. I usually like to think that Begins takes place in 2004, then TDK in 2005, then TDKR in 2013, that way the eight year gap lines up from when Batman Begins was being made.

However, yeah, trying to assign a date takes the timelessness and fantasy away from it. Even when I'm watching Superman 1978, I'm still able to lock myself in the fantasy of the movie to the point where I don't really notice that it's from a different decade all-together.

There is clear evidence in the films that your dates are a bit off.

Batman Begins - 2005
The Dark Knight - 2008
The Dark Knight Rises - 2016

And I don't think assigning a date takes anything away from the experience, if anything it only enhances it.

The Dark Knight takes place 6 months after Batman Begins, i remember that being referred a lot of times.

Last edited:
Wasn't Gordon's kid just a baby in BB? He was pretty big in TDK. So his boy grew older and he had a girl who was born and aged quite a bit in 6months? It's impossible to put a dates on these movies.

Just enjoy them

Wasn't Gordon's kid just a baby in BB? He was pretty big in TDK. So his boy grew older and he had a girl who was born and aged quite a bit in 6months? It's impossible to put a dates on these movies.

Just enjoy them
His boy didn't appear, in fact we only heard what appeared to be a baby crying, for all we know it could have been his daughter crying about something, she was young enough.

The Dark Knight Rises takes place 6 months after Batman Begins, i remember that being referred a lot of times.

You mean The Dark Knight? And no, The Dark Knight takes place 3 years after Batman Begins.

You mean The Dark Knight? And no, The Dark Knight takes place 3 years after Batman Begins.
Yeah, The Dark Knight, and no, it doesn't take place 3 years after Begins, Joker himself said that one year before there was no Batman so it can't take place so much time after.

Yeah, The Dark Knight, and no, it doesn't take place 3 years after Begins, Joker himself said that one year before there was no Batman so it can't take place so much time after.

Yes, it does. He never said there was no Batman. He said...

"Where do we begin? A year ago, these cops and lawyers wouldn't dare cross any of you. I mean, what happened?"

I took Batman 2 years to make a dent in the mob and to build up a reputation in Gotham. The Joker did the same thing commiting random crimes and building up his own legend among the criminals. Things like that take time, they don't happen over night.

The Joker robbed the bank on July 18, 2008. When Bruce is watching the security footage of the bank robbery the date is shown on screen.

I've done hours of research on both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. I also wrote that timeline in the Batman Begins section.

Last edited:
No way is there a three year gap between Begins and Dark Knight. Not a chance. Joker's line about how things were cushy for the mob a year ago confirms that. Batman came along and changed all of that.

Gordon at the end of Begins: "You've really started something. Bad Cops running scared. Hope on the streets". Not to mention the presentation of the Joker card. You're not really expecting us to believe it took Joker 3 years to finally make a big impression on Gotham are you?

The only dent Batman made in the mob was putting Falcone away. Maroni stepped up and took over running his crime family for him. That's it. The mob was not dismantled in any way. Batman simply made the mob more scared to meet in daylight, and made criminals in general nervous as was seen at the beginning of TDK. But no way in hell was that 3 years later.

Then there's Dent, the new D.A. who I think is obviously taking over from the recently deceased D.A. Finch in Begins. Wayne Manor was still being rebuilt in TDK, too. It would not take 3 years to rebuild that. At the least it was 6-8 months after Begins, at most it was a year or so.

Last edited:
I just do it like this:
Pre-Year 22 - Bruce Wayne develops fear of bats; Waynes murdered, age 8
Pre-Year 7 - Bruce Wayne Missing, age 23
Year 1 - Batman Begins; Bruce Wayne, age 30
Year 2 - The Dark Knight; Bruce Wayne, age 31
Year 8 - The Dark Knight Rises; Bruce Wayne, age 39

No way is there a three year gap between Begins and Dark Knight. Not a chance. Joker's line about how things were cushy for the mob a year ago confirms that. Batman came along and changed all of that.

No... it doesn't. The Joker's line doesn't confirm or deny anything.

Gordon at the end of Begins: "You've really started something. Bad Cops running scared. Hope on the streets". Not to mention the presentation of the Joker card. You're not really expecting us to believe it took Joker 3 years to finally make a big impression on Gotham are you?

*sigh... There's always gotta be one.

Yeah, so? This doesn't confirm or deny anything either.

I don't expect you to believe anything. You're forgetting that Maroni didn't even consider him a threat until he walked into thier meeting. Even Batman wasn't concrened about him.

The only dent Batman made in the mob was putting Falcone away. Maroni stepped up and took over running his crime family for him. That's it. The mob was not dismantled in any way. Batman simply made the mob more scared to meet in daylight, and made criminals in general nervous as was seen at the beginning of TDK. But no way in hell was that 3 years later.

I've given you clear evidence that it take place 3 years after Batman Begins. Where are your facts? Points of reference?

Then there's Dent, the new D.A. who I think is obviously taking over from the recently deceased D.A. Finch in Begins. Wayne Manor was still being rebuilt in TDK, too. It would not take 3 years to rebuild that. At the least it was 6-8 months after Begins, at most it was a year or so.

You're forgetting Rachel, she could have easily stood in for the DA. How do you know how long it took to rebuild Wayne Manor? There's no way you could.

I've done the research, I have soild facts and I know what I'm talking about. What do you have? Nothing but speculation. You can believe whatever you want, clearly nothing I say is going change your mind. Maybe you should go read the work I've done on the first timeline before jumping all over me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"