The Dark Knight Rises Favorite acts of the trilogy?

Anno_Domini

Avenger
Reaction score
So here's something new for us all...

I was thinking about a topic that was brought up on another thread speaking on favorite acts of the three films and what not, so I decided to make a poll on it.

The rules,

Pick only your favorite acts(1-3) of the three films, and for example as well as my picks:

- My favorite 1st act is in Batman Begins; my favorite intro(while I liked the villain prologues in TDK and TDKR, I greatly enjoyed Bruce Wayne waking up from his nightmare to only be in prison and then he's greeted by Ducard/Ra's al Ghul and the story of Nolan's take on Bruce Wayne/Batman begins).

- My favorite 2nd act is in The Dark Knight; the build up of Batman doing his best to track down his greatest enemy and the progression of Harvey Dent being this calm individual to showing a very wicked side.

- My favorite 3rd act is in The Dark Knight Rises; Bruce Wayne returns from the Pit, gets Selina Kyle's help, frees the police and the war between Bane's mercenaries/the Blackgate inmates and the GCPD erupts on the street infront of City Hall with a great finale of Batman finally stopping the League of Shadows for good...and what an amazing final five minutes to end the trilogy. Plus, the beginning of TDKR showed ice covering a black screen and the end of the film had water draining down the black screen seemingly showing a change happening as the mantle of The Batman is even passed down. Such great illustrations.

***DISCLAIMER: KEEP ALL NEGATIVITY AWAY FROM THIS THREAD PLEASE***

Last edited:
Excellent thread, Anno!

While I'm most likely in the minority, I truly love the first act of TDKR. Everything is so well setup for Bruce's return to Gotham first as Bruce Wayne, and then his defiant return as the Batman. Batman's return scene is one of the many highlights of TDKR for me.

With that being said, nothing really tops BB. Still blows my mind to this day.

Second act is easily TDK. You pretty much nailed it with your analysis, Anno.

I so thought TDKR would be the best third act of the trilogy, and while it is amazing, I am beyond bothered by some of the action that was ultimately cut out (Batman fighting more than two mercs to get to Bane, Foley's death by Tumbler) Talia's awful death scene, and Bane being taken out in a kind of "meh" fashion.

Best third act for me has to be TDK. Intense ferry boat scenario, Batman going "prep-time" with the sonar device, taking down the swat and the Jokers men at the same time. Not to mention the final confrontation with the Joker, and just when you think you are free to soak up this emotional roller-coaster; you get the real final showdown - Batman and Gordon trying to reason with Two-Face not to kill Gordon's son. I'm listening to "A Dark Knight" right now. Truly mesmerizing.

^ I think it should've been this with Foley:

Talia says "Shoot them. Shoot them all." and the Tumbler starts firing which Foley tries to dodge bullets, but ends up getting shot anyways and ALSO gets hit by the Tumbler. Totally and terribly just ****ing Foley up, lol.

^ I think it should've been this with Foley:

Talia says "Shoot them. Shoot them all." and the Tumbler starts firing which Foley tries to dodge bullets, but ends up getting shot anyways and ALSO gets hit by the Tumbler. Totally and terribly just ****ing Foley up, lol.

Damn, that's pretty ruthless. Even for you Anno!

Was that negativity disclaimer directed towards me? lol.

No, milost. Him creating a poll/thread that really just wants to poke fun at Bane irked me a bit, and this thread needs no negative attitude at all.

And yah, it's ruthless, but that ending he did get in TDKR gave off no emotional pull from anyone, not even me who actually liked Foley's little arc these days. Getting totally messed up would have had people actually feel sorry for Foley, lol.

No, milost. Him creating a poll/thread that really just wants to poke fun at Bane irked me a bit, and this thread needs no negative attitude at all.

And yah, it's ruthless, but that ending he did get in TDKR gave off no emotional pull from anyone, not even me who actually liked Foley's little arc these days. Getting totally messed up would have had people actually feel sorry for Foley, lol.

Haha, alrighty.

Yeah, that one really had me scratching my head when I first watched TDKR. I mean, even if you hated his character, I really doubt anyone would have complained about an awesome death like being mowed down by the freakin' tumbler.

This is really hard for me to do. Honestly the only thing not in the running for me is BB's third act. Every other act in the trilogy is vying for my affection, haha.

Here's my thing though, with TDKR I think it's debatable where Act 1 ends and Act 2 begins. I've heard screenwriting analysts claim Act 1 ends when Alfred leaves Bruce, while most seem to interpret the act break happening right along with the back-break. It's tough because you could argue Bruce is doomed the moment he wakes up with all Alfred gone along with all his money, but I like the idea of the physical act of him being broken (complete with a fade to black) as the definitive end of Act 1. Assuming the Bane fight is part of Act 1, then as blasphemous as it may be I'd probably have to put it over BB's Act 1 because Batman's return along with the sewer fight are true trilogy highlights for me, and like JackWhite I just love TDKR's Act 1 in general. It has a lot going for it. It's basically tied with BB for me though. It's probably newness more than anything that is edging it out at the moment.

Acts 2 and 3, I probably give to TDK. Nonstop escalating chaos from The Joker, with some super tense scenes and a classic ending.

Still, the final 5 minutes of TDKR is probably the most euphoric and triumphant 5 minutes ever committed on screen in a superhero film. After everything he'd been through over the course of 3 films, the satisfaction of seeing Bruce cementing the immortality of his symbol while giving happiness a shot was unparalleled.

This is really hard for me to do. Honestly the only thing not in the running for me is BB's third act. Every other act in the trilogy is vying for my affection, haha.

Here's my thing though, with TDKR I think it's debatable where Act 1 ends and Act 2 begins. I've heard screenwriting analysts claim Act 1 ends when Alfred leaves Bruce, while most seem to interpret the act break happening right along with the back-break. It's tough because you could argue Bruce is doomed the moment he wakes up with all Alfred gone along with all his money, but I like the idea of the physical act of him being broken (complete with a fade to black) as the definitive end of Act 1. Assuming the Bane fight is part of Act 1, then as blasphemous as it may be I'd probably have to put it over BB's Act 1 because Batman's return along with the sewer fight are true trilogy highlights for me, and like JackWhite I just love TDKR's Act 1 in general. It has a lot going for it. It's basically tied with BB for me though. It's probably newness more than anything that is edging it out at the moment.

Acts 2 and 3, I probably give to TDK. Nonstop escalating chaos from The Joker, with some super tense scenes and a classic ending.

Still, the final 5 minutes of TDKR is probably the most euphoric and triumphant 5 minutes ever committed on screen in a superhero film. After everything he'd been through over the course of 3 films, the satisfaction of seeing Bruce cementing the immortality of his symbol while giving happiness a shot was unparalleled.

Other highlights for me in TDKR first act:

Bruce's first encounter with Selina.
Bruce and Selina at the masquerade ball.
Bane's raid at the stock exchange.
The shootout at the bar.
Bane's second scene with Gordon underground.
Bruce meeting with Lucius at Wayne Enterprises.
Bruce's scene in the cave when he puts the Brace on.
Bane killing Daggett.
Batman and Catwoman fighting the mercs on the rooftop.

And dare I say it, OK for me; Blake confronting Bruce about being Batman.
:oldrazz:

Haha, alrighty.

Yeah, that one really had me scratching my head when I first watched TDKR. I mean, even if you hated his character, I really doubt anyone would have complained about an awesome death like being mowed down by the freakin' tumbler.

I like the idea of Talia telling the driver to "shoot them all" which I felt was towards the police and the Blackgate inmates and Talia not giving a **** about anyone at this moment, but something else should've ended Foley's life as well than just being in the midst of gunfire that kills everyone else in the same vicinity.

The shootout at the bar.
Bane killing Daggett.

You pretty much just named all my favorite scenes from Act 1, haha. Another I'll two I'll add is Bruce and Blake's second meeting and Bruce and Miranda's love scene. I like how they both parallel scenes from BB's first act Bruce/Blake's car scene with Bruce/Alfred's plane scene (Blake/Alfred pick Bruce up, Bruce proceeds to talk about the "point" of his mission), and Bruce/Talia with the Bruce/Ra's campfire scene (Talia/Ra's give Bruce vague glimpses into their pasts near the warm glow of a fire). I love stuff like that.

this is way too difficult. Intros and final scenes should be separate categories, but:

1st act of BBegins

intro, 2nd act, and final scene of TDK

1st act, 2nd act, and the final scene of TDKR

Last edited:

The shootout at the bar.
Bane killing Daggett.

I like the first act of TDKR a lot. To me its definitely the strongest part of the film. Especially if I say Act 1 ends with Bane beating Batman - and if I can get away with Blake interviewing Selina afterwards.

I picked the first act of Batman Begins and the second act of The Dark Knight.

Lol, only a few are actually paying attention to the point of this poll. Only pick 1 first act, second act and third act. And if it's hard to choose, then good, it's supposed to be.

Lol, only a few are actually paying attention to the point of this poll. Only pick 1 first act, second act and third act. And if it's hard to choose, then good, it's supposed to be.

ahhh. k

1st act: TDKR (BB, for its perfection of the origin, and TDK tied for close second. Meandering Hong Kong scene brings it down )

2nd act: TDK (TDKR and BB tied for close second)

3rd act: TDKR, despite some low points ("I came back to stop you", boring chase

Last edited:
I love Batman Begins' first act. You can't really beat the set up of Bruce Wayne's journey into becoming Batman. From his training in the mountains to his first night out in his "spelunking" gear, it's all great. We take them for granted now, but I remember sitting there and loving the scene where he's preparing to become Batman. Finding the cave, setting up the lights, cutting the Batarangs, painting the suit, etc. etc..

Second act and third act go to The Dark Knight. Every scene in it is gold and it has some of my favorite scenes in the film period (the interrogation scene especially). The third act gets a little crazy, but it tops out in a great way.

So here's something new for us all...

I was thinking about a topic that was brought up on another thread speaking on favorite acts of the three films and what not, so I decided to make a poll on it.

The rules,

Pick only your favorite acts(1-3) of the three films, and for example as well as my picks:

- My favorite 1st act is in Batman Begins; my favorite intro(while I liked the villain prologues in TDK and TDKR, I greatly enjoyed Bruce Wayne waking up from his nightmare to only be in prison and then he's greeted by Ducard/Ra's al Ghul and the story of Nolan's take on Bruce Wayne/Batman begins).

- My favorite 2nd act is in The Dark Knight; the build up of Batman doing his best to track down his greatest enemy and the progression of Harvey Dent being this calm individual to showing a very wicked side.

- My favorite 3rd act is in The Dark Knight Rises; Bruce Wayne returns from the Pit, gets Selina Kyle's help, frees the police and the war between Bane's mercenaries/the Blackgate inmates and the GCPD erupts on the street infront of City Hall with a great finale of Batman finally stopping the League of Shadows for good...and what an amazing final five minutes to end the trilogy. Plus, the beginning of TDKR showed ice covering a black screen and the end of the film had water draining down the black screen seemingly showing a change happening as the mantle of The Batman is even passed down. Such great illustrations.

***DISCLAIMER: KEEP ALL NEGATIVITY AWAY FROM THIS THREAD PLEASE***

I completely agree with you

I thought about this and it's kinda funny. My three favorite acts are the first one from the first movie, the second one from the second movie and the third one from the third movie. :)

^ And that's almost the consensus except for TDK and TDKR's 3rd acts being tied right now.

Best 1st Act: BB
Best 2nd Act: TDK
Best 3rd Act: TDK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"