Jessica Jones To fly or not to fly...

G'day,

Well they didn't have people who can point a finger and cause mountains to shake either until a few weeks ago. If all she has is extra strength and durability it will be a case of so what? Flight, even limited flight, such as being able to levitate onto the top a skyscrapers, would give her something unique and very useful story wise.

ta

Ralph

The problem with Jessica flying is coming up with an explanation. She doesn't have a powered suit like Tony or a magic hammer like Thor. And unless she can manipulate her density, she won't be able to levitate like Vision.

Marvel hasn't shown folks defying gravity in the MCU, so I doubt they will have it in a more grounded Netflix program.

Fly, hopefully. One of the fun things about Jessica Jones is the whole notion of this cynical, snarky, hard-boiled private detective with Superman-style powers who A) Doesn't like using them and B) Never finds them useful or necessary when solving mysteries.

The problem with Jessica flying is coming up with an explanation. She doesn't have a powered suit like Tony or a magic hammer like Thor. And unless she can manipulate her density, she won't be able to levitate like Vision.

Marvel hasn't shown folks defying gravity in the MCU, so I doubt they will have it in a more grounded Netflix program.

I don't follow your logic. You seem to be implying, essentially, that because Marvel hasn't done a character with a particular narrowly-defined powerset before, they won't ever do one. That's kind of dubious logic.

No greater explanation is necessary than that given in the comic book. It is a mutated ability caused by exposure to chemicals. Not unlike Matt Murdock or the former Avengers character Rage.

I'd vote no, because it's not integral and it'll help distinguish her from Captain Marvel.

I couldn't disagree more. Alot of Marvel characters have similar powers. And although there are frequently differences in degree and proficiency the most important difference is the unique personality they bring. Not to mention that Ms. Marvel has a much more exhaustive power set than super strength, durability and flight.

Lastly how can so say it's not integral? You don't know the storyline.

I don't follow your logic. You seem to be implying, essentially, that because Marvel hasn't done a character with a particular narrowly-defined powerset before, they won't ever do one. That's kind of dubious logic.

Flight is a tad bit different than enhanced senses, unbreakable skin and chi concentration. The other powersets are improbable. Ms. Jones' is impossible.

Over the course of 13 episodes they are going to either address why Jessica can do something that is impossible or switch up her abilities. My bet is they'll do the latter.

I could picture them cutting flight from her and not take away from the series. Still it's much better to give her something unique from the rest of the Defenders. I like the idea of flying "badly" in the sense that she can only go short distances and can't exactly hover. So it's more for emergencies. It gives her more of a limited range that I think a tv effects team can really work with.

Flight is a tad bit different than enhanced senses, unbreakable skin and chi concentration. The other powersets are improbable. Ms. Jones' is impossible.

Over the course of 13 episodes they are going to either address why Jessica can do something that is impossible or switch up her abilities. My bet is they'll do the latter.

Or they will do neither. You're totally over thinking it. There's no need to explain the exact in-universe mechanics of how her flight works. Almost no one is going to wonder that to any degree that would hurt their enjoyment of the show.

G'day,

The show may be on Netflix but its still in the Marvel universe which they acknowledge. To take flight away restricts her to a second rate super character. She has extra strength and extra durability - big deal. She not even a highly train martial artist like DD. Flight gives her a unique ability. As to how the power arose, well one simple explanation is that she's an Inhuman and the chemical spill triggered transformation. That lat has teleportation, immortality and earthquake makers. A person who can defy gravity would fit right in.

ta

Ralph

They don't have to explain how she got it or how it works

Zebediah Killgrave said:
"One day you're a high flying super hero no one's heard of, the next you're the center of the world. All of a sudden it's all about you. Continuity inconsistencies be damned. It's all about you. How did you get your powers again? How did I get mine? How was that? Accident? What? Gloss over it now. Don't get too technical."

It's not supposed to make sense.

G'day,

Its not suppose to make too much sense but it has to be better then radio active chemicals for general audiences to accept. The last movie Spidr-Man was bitten by a transgenetic spider that was supposed to pass off its genes to the victim, not just some radio active spider. The Hulk's powers were not just gamma rays but nano tech was involved too.

Making her an Inhuman would work fine.

ta

Ralph

They don't have to explain how she got it or how it works

It's not supposed to make sense.

Its not suppose to make too much sense but it has to be better then radio active chemicals for general audiences to accept. The last movie Spidr-Man was bitten by a transgenetic spider that was supposed to pass off its genes to the victim, not just some radio active spider. The Hulk's powers were not just gamma rays but nano tech was involved too.

What about Daredevil?

G'day,

What about Daredevil? He doesn't have super powers as much extraordinary abilities( similar to Hawkeye). Blind people who can make superior use of their other senses are well known in fiction, remember the blind monk in Kung Fu? They also exist in real life. Have a look at the blind artist:

Ralph

What about Daredevil?

Last edited:
He can smell people several floors down and can hear people inside a building several blocks away. Are those really just extraordinary abilities? That's like saying flying is just an extraordinary jumping ability or Quicksilver has extraordinary running ability.

G'day,

They are in the Marvel Universe. They are basically exaggerations of known extra abilities that blind people sometimes develop. How good would your sense of smell and hearing really be if you concentrated years of your life on their development? I bet they would be far better then now. Note, Stick and no doubt other trained warriors have similar abilities.

ta

Ralph

He can smell people several floors down and can hear people inside a building several blocks away. Are those really just extraordinary abilities? That's like saying flying is just an extraordinary jumping ability or Quicksilver has extraordinary running ability.

Last edited:
Don't have her fly yet. Especially since her villains don't fly.

Have it that she sucks at it and this would be a unique opportunity to explain that just because some of her powers when used in a certain way allow her to fly doesn't mean that it's just like falling off a log...if she wants to be proficient at it then she'd need to stay in practice just like DD keeps his fighting skills honed. She hasn't kept up with it much since retiring so of course she'd be bad at it. But it should still be there since her powers didn't suddenly turn off when she quit.

I hope she can fly but she's terrible at it because she hasn't done it in a while and so we only really see failed attempts.

Nah, not only failed attempts. There should be at least one scene where she flies and flies well, when it counts. It'd be the payoff for all the prior clumsy flying scenes.

Definitely want her to fly. Even if she doesn't do it a lot because she doesn't like it or whatever.

What's so difficult to explain? This is comic book stuff, the writers are inventive enough to come up with a plausible explanation. A.k.a. she's able to repel her body against molecules basically pushing her through the air with her mind.

See I did that in 30 seconds. Moving on…

G'day,

What about Daredevil? He doesn't have super powers as much extraordinary abilities( similar to Hawkeye). Blind people who can make superior use of their other senses are well known in fiction, remember the blind monk in Kung Fu? They also exist in real life. Have a look at the blind artist:

Ralph

I disagree, he does have super senses. Yes a blind man can hear better than a person who relies less on that particular sense. But they are still natural senses. DD was always portrayed as having "hyper senses", as a result of the radiation/chemicals that caused his blindness. So yeah, he does have super powers. Don't forget his radar sense.

He just doesn't have Superman type powers.

Yeah, his senses are clearly well beyond that of human capacity in the show (although, I would argue, they have not given him a superhuman radar sense as a separate supernatural power. Instead, it's just an "impressionistic painting" using the combination of all his other senses).

I hope Jessica can fly, even if badly. It would help set her aside from just the physical strength type character and balance the team out, power wise:

DD - hyper senses, fighting skills
JJ - strength, flight
LC - strength, invulnerability
IF - fighting skills, and I guess strength, since his power isn't used as energy projection , more as in the same effect as a superstrong character, to tear stuff up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"