Jessica Jones To fly or not to fly...

kaijunexus

Marvel Cinematic Universe
Reaction score
Admittedly, Jessica Jones as a character is less about powers than it is about personality and attitude.

However, Jessica's abilities and her short-lived stint as a superhero are integral to her character and will undoubtedly be featured in the new series to some degree.

Though most of her powers are relatively simple (super strength and durability, it's her ability to fly that really comes into question when considering television-quality special effects.

So the question becomes...

Will Jessica Jones be able to fly?

In my opinion, it would be smart to take a cue from the comics and have Jessica state that her ability to fly has waned considerably since she left her superhero days behind. Perhaps we could have a flashback or two of her taking off or landing when she was costumed. This would take the strain off the SPFX budget, but still account for why we don't see her fly in present day.

In fact, I could easily see her take to flight again in the climax of her own series of The Defenders, surprising both herself and the audience by rocketing off the ground to save someone in heroic fashion.

Last edited:
I could see her attempting to fly and failing miserably. That would add some sympathy for when she does actually manage to fly again.

My vote is her ability to fly should be roughly tied to that of the comics. Brian Bendis wasn't known for absurdly campy superhero stuff so I don't think it would take the audience out of it (given that her flying isn't overly strong). I also think flying on a TV budget is much better than it used to be.

I hope she flies. I want her to bring something unique to the table once they form the Defenders. Would be a bit boring to have two members on the team with super strength and durability. Flight sets her apart from Luke Cage.

she'll probably fly once or twice. I'm guessing they'll just stick to the usual Jess doesn't fly cuz she sucks at it.

I think she should fly (badly) in the flashbacks but stick to not flying currently because she sucks at it.

I think she should fly (badly) in the flashbacks but stick to not flying currently because she sucks at it.

i really know nothing about jessica jones but if she has the ability to fly, then she would be the first one in the MCU to do so that's not a god like thor. is the MCU ready to introduce that on a netflix show rather than in a movie?

i really know nothing about jessica jones but if she has the ability to fly, then she would be the first one in the MCU to do so that's not a god like thor.
Ironman also flies
is the MCU ready to introduce that on a netflix show rather than in a movie?
Why not? Heroes handled Flight competently

i really know nothing about jessica jones but if she has the ability to fly, then she would be the first one in the MCU to do so that's not a god like thor. is the MCU ready to introduce that on a netflix show rather than in a movie?

I'm with you on this one. Flying is a big deal, I'd be surprised if they introduced it first on one of the Netflix shows. Iron Man flying isn't an apt comparison, he's flying via the aide of technology. Thor is the only person who can actually fly.

I'm also concerned with her super strength coming across as cheesy or corny, but I have faith in Marvel.

I'm with you on this one. Flying is a big deal, I'd be surprised if they introduced it first on one of the Netflix shows. Iron Man flying isn't an apt comparison, he's flying via the aide of technology. Thor is the only person who can actually fly.
Thor doesn't fly on his own, Mjolnir is what propels Thor to fly I don't see how that is significantly different than Ironman's jet/repulsar propulsion. Either way i don't see the general audience caring much about difference in propulsion methods and whether or not it should show up in Movies vs TV

AoS already had a guy that could knock people out by screaming, someone who could shoot fire from his hands and a man that could change the composition of his body to match materials he touches. Not to mention the Inhumans such a Skye who can send powerful vibrations into any object, Gordon who teleports and makes forcefields and Skye's mother who possesses super healing that makes her practically immortal.

Why is flight such a big deal?

Split the difference: have her able to fly, but badly. So, 90% of the time, she uses her "flight" to do impossible jumps, when she uses it at all.

Split the difference: have her able to fly, but badly. So, 90% of the time, she uses her "flight" to do impossible jumps, when she uses it at all.

^Definitely agree with this. IMO I think flight is an important aspect of her characters past. However, because of her not doing it for so long, it should be something that she is afraid to do and/or do poorly. We should see flashes of the ability, culminating with her using it in the finale ep to do something epic ie saving someone she cares about.

I'd vote no, because it's not integral and it'll help distinguish her from Captain Marvel.

I'd like to see her fly, but badly.

I think she should be a little clumbsy, have trouble taking off and landing and have trouble navigating while in the air. I think it should also be really physically demanding so that even a short flight could leave her drained and out of breath. It should be contrasted with her ability to run, where she moves at an above average speed (and agility) and doesn't easily tire from running.

That way, they can use her power of flight sparingly where the story requires is, but they have a good excuse for why she doesn't just fly everywhere.

Or, as much as it reeks of Smallville, they could give her a fear of heights which would explain why she avoids flying. I'd prefer her to simply be terrible at flying though.

If DD is any indication having Jessica defying gravity won't be a good fit with the more grounded powers (albeit comic book grounded) of her fellow Defenders. Giving her Hulk-like leaping ability would make more sense, or perhaps super human speed to round out the abilities of her teammates.

If DD is any indication having Jessica defying gravity won't be a good fit with the more grounded powers (albeit comic book grounded) of her fellow Defenders. Giving her Hulk-like leaping ability would make more sense, or perhaps super human speed to round out the abilities of her teammates.

Iron Man was pretty grounded compared with the rest of The Avengers in his movie, but he still ended up being on a team with Hulk and Thor.

This is still the MCU, and they've been pretty accurate with the powersets of their lead characters so far.

She should be able to fly. Lots of Marvel characters can fly and even more are coming. Dr Strange,Cap Marvel to name a couple. Not to mention the Marvel characters on loan to other studios. Xmen and FF. TV has no problems pulling the effect off convincingly. Most of it can be done off camera. The rest on green screen with some wires.

G'day,

Yes, Dasredevil is the first actual TV superhero developed for TV (well netflix) . So the characters need to have superpowers. Even if its the limited super senses of DD. Think how this well work in the Defenders. Luke Cage is the muscle man, Iron Fist and DD are super fighters. Giving her the ability of flight, even if its limited , gives her something unique to add to the team.

Also the Netflix shows pretend to present hard realism so I don't think the chemical spill by itself really works as a source of her powers. However if she was an Inhuman and the chemical unlocked her latent powers that makes more sense.

ta

Ralph

The problem with Jessica flying is coming up with an explanation. She doesn't have a powered suit like Tony or a magic hammer like Thor. And unless she can manipulate her density, she won't be able to levitate like Vision.

Marvel hasn't shown folks defying gravity in the MCU, so I doubt they will have it in a more grounded Netflix program.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"