Jessica Jones To fly or not to fly...

I hope she can fly. I hope she has her strength.

What makes Jessica an interesting character is that she has super powers and, yet, doesn't want to be a super hero. If she doesn't have powers and doesn't want to be a super hero, then what is this character about?

Exactly, all you would have left is a sexual abuse victim.

Ralph

I hope she can fly. I hope she has her strength.

What makes Jessica an interesting character is that she has super powers and, yet, doesn't want to be a super hero. If she doesn't have powers and doesn't want to be a super hero, then what is this character about?

She also has a measure of superhuman durability, if I recall correctly. A high powered sniper shot might still kill her if it's a head shot but shooting her with a hand gun is just like she's covered head to toe in a bullet proof vest. It'll hurt and probably bruise her but she can take it.

I hope Jessica can fly, even if badly. It would help set her aside from just the physical strength type character and balance the team out, power wise:

DD - hyper senses, fighting skills
JJ - strength, flight
LC - strength, invulnerability
IF - fighting skills, and I guess strength, since his power isn't used as energy projection , more as in the same effect as a superstrong character, to tear stuff up

Actually JJ just has a healing factor. Luke is still the Tank. JJ however can resist psychic and magical attacks so if The Hood is the big bad, expect to see JJ be completely immune to many of his abilities.

Iron Fist is a healer who can help out of Luke Cage gets hurt since he has super durability but no healing factor. Granted, it takes a LOT to hurt a man who's almost invincible but he's weak against fire.

And you're also forgetting certain likely characters.

Misty Knight is the gunslinger who provides ranged support. Elektra is not only a deadly martial artist, she also has psychic powers that give her telepathy, telekinesis and precognition. Colleen Wing has chi powers but they aren't as refined as Daniel's and Hellcat has minor telekinesis but it isn't as powerful as Elektra's. And since I also expect White Tiger to show up on Luke Cage and then die and have his daughter take over in Defenders, Ava Ayala has an amulet of power that grants her peak human strength and speed, a healing factor and enhanced reflexes. Finally, Punisher probably won't be part of the team but his own neutral faction where he's just a guy with a whole lot of weapons and real combat experience.

And since I don't expect Defenders to be yearly, we'll probably get new characters introduced in the years in between. I'm predicting that we'll show Echo show up in DD season 3 and she has photographic reflexes which grant her the ability to copy anyone else's fighting style. Moon Knight has all sorts of gadgets and is also known to fight dirty. Blade has superhuman senses and agility as well as improved stamina and some level of sorcery powers. Shang Chi has no powers, he's just really, really good at fighting and I expect to see him in Iron Fist Season 2.

And if Marvel and Netflix are serious about Ghost Rider and are somehow able to pull him off on a TV budget, he has hellfire powers, sorcery and the Penance Stare.

I also fully expect Spider-Man and Black Widow to show up as well since they're both tied to the street level Marvel U.

I highly doubt Black Widow ever appears in Defenders.

Actually JJ just has a healing factor. Luke is still the Tank. JJ however can resist psychic and magical attacks so if The Hood is the big bad, expect to see JJ be completely immune to many of his abilities.

Iron Fist is a healer who can help out of Luke Cage gets hurt since he has super durability but no healing factor. Granted, it takes a LOT to hurt a man who's almost invincible but he's weak against fire.

And you're also forgetting certain likely characters.

Misty Knight is the gunslinger who provides ranged support. Elektra is not only a deadly martial artist, she also has psychic powers that give her telepathy, telekinesis and precognition. Colleen Wing has chi powers but they aren't as refined as Daniel's and Hellcat has minor telekinesis but it isn't as powerful as Elektra's. And since I also expect White Tiger to show up on Luke Cage and then die and have his daughter take over in Defenders, Ava Ayala has an amulet of power that grants her peak human strength and speed, a healing factor and enhanced reflexes. Finally, Punisher probably won't be part of the team but his own neutral faction where he's just a guy with a whole lot of weapons and real combat experience.

And since I don't expect Defenders to be yearly, we'll probably get new characters introduced in the years in between. I'm predicting that we'll show Echo show up in DD season 3 and she has photographic reflexes which grant her the ability to copy anyone else's fighting style. Moon Knight has all sorts of gadgets and is also known to fight dirty. Blade has superhuman senses and agility as well as improved stamina and some level of sorcery powers. Shang Chi has no powers, he's just really, really good at fighting and I expect to see him in Iron Fist Season 2.

And if Marvel and Netflix are serious about Ghost Rider and are somehow able to pull him off on a TV budget, he has hellfire powers, sorcery and the Penance Stare.

I also fully expect Spider-Man and Black Widow to show up as well since they're both tied to the street level Marvel U.

All characters with enhanced physical attributes are considered to have some amount of healing factor/toughness. Its why they don't break their bones when they lift cars. Also, the White Tiger amulet enhances the wearer's abilities "whatever those are", according to Dr. Strange. The usual wearers are normal people, so the amulet enhances normal attributes like healing, agility, strength, etc.

(Does anyone know the issues where Elektra uses telekinesis? Apparently its in the wiki but I've never heard of her using it.)

Jessica's flight power is heavily symbolic. Her life is shown to be an unending pile of ****, but learning she could fly was nothing but joy. While flying around as Jewel, she muses to herself how much she enjoys flying. Flight is one of the most desired powers, and its iconic of the godlike superhero/angel figure.

When Jessica 'falls', she is physically maimed. Her PTSD leaves her crippled and barely able to function. She can no longer soar above the world, leaving its problems, descending only when she deigns to solve them. Her flight ability is as crippled as her sense of self. (It may be that her power suffers from lack of confidence, lack of practice, or real permanent damage from the attack.) Again, very very symbolic.

Jessica's story isn't about being a superhero and punching bad guys. They're very personal to her and all about her characterization. I don't want her turning into a second class Captain Marvel/Supergirl/Mary Marvel/Power Girl. She's more unique as a crippled hero who tries despite her flaws. So, I'd like it exactly the way it is in the comic please! She used to fly great, and now she flies terrible and crashes a lot.:ilv:

If only her drinking problem could be like this:

b7c.gif

Melissa Rosenber said:
"We're not Daredevil. We don't have a costume with a mask". "We have a very talented actress, Krysten Ritter, and it's her face all the time. Our reality is extremely grounded. If you read the Alias comic books, it's Jessica Jones on the toilet with her pants around her ankles. Jessica Jones did not train in martial arts; she's a street brawler. If you piss her off, boom, she kicks you...She doesn't fly but she can jump many stories, and she lands really badly, which is why she doesn't do it too often. And the less you see it, the more believable it is. There will be fights in every episode and they'll get bigger and bigger and bigger but that's not my priority. That's not the nature of the story. This show is more character driven than anything like a scene in that universe."

/thread

(Does anyone know the issues where Elektra uses telekinesis? Apparently its in the wiki but I've never heard of her using it.)

She uses it a lot in Miller's Elektra Assassin and she has used it quite a bit in her latest series. I'm not sure if it's shown up anywhere else in a big way though.

That's jumping. We already know she can do that. We haven't seen anything yet which suggests she can fly.

I saw a comment on the official Facebook page from an admin which suggests she may be able to in the future, but the admin could be wrong or it could be a form of joke. One commenter said something like 'Can she fly?' to which the page replied 'It's a work in progress.'

They've said she doesn't fly, she jumps really high (which is a way of recreating the flight). The question had been answered and now what they mean has been demonstrated.

They've said she doesn't fly, she jumps really high (which is a way of recreating the flight). The question had been answered and now what they mean has been demonstrated.

Who are you replying to? look at my above comment. Your comment is outdated because we have new information that you just ignored.

The producers said she doesn't fly, she jumps really high. A new video was released where she was jumping really high and not flying. I don't know how my information is outdated.

The producers said she doesn't fly, she jumps really high. A new video was released where she was jumping really high and not flying. I don't know how my information is outdated.

Well, by looking a couple of comments up you'd find out wouldn't you. You attempt to make a closing argument to shut everyone up but ignore a comment in doing so, which heavily implies that she could learn the ability to fly as the seasons pan out. But you literally just ignored it for some reason. An official source.

The only comments after the question was answered was:
A side comment about Elektra
The video that shows her jumping

There's nothing in Random's comment suggesting that the official answer is wrong. All it says is "well there you have it." That means "question answered" in my book and, based on the video, the question was answered to show she jumps.

The only comments after the question was answered was:
A side comment about Elektra
The video that shows her jumping

There's nothing in Random's comment suggesting that the official answer is wrong. All it says is "well there you have it." That means "question answered" in my book and, based on the video, the question was answered to show she jumps.

Since you still don't want to look a couple of comments up:

'That's jumping. We already know she can do that. We haven't seen anything yet which suggests she can fly.

I saw a comment on the official Facebook page from an admin which suggests she may be able to in the future, but the admin could be wrong or it could be a form of joke. One commenter said something like 'Can she fly?' to which the page replied 'It's a work in progress.''

I didn't ignore that post. My first post was in response to you. The admins are likely wrong - they're social media administrators and, in many instances, they don't have any more inside knowledge than we do - just enthusiasm about a project.

You said:
We haven't seen anything yet which suggests she can fly.
And I responded with:

And here I thought the promo would end the discussion.

I would like her to fly, but only if the SFX is good. With her super strength and Purple Man's mind control, from what I saw in the trailer, it looks like a really cool sci-fi fantasy show. I'm okay with that. I want the focus to be on her issues more than any thing else. Fighting mind control will be a cool theme in itself, with or without flight.

I'm a-ok with continued ambiguity on the subject.

The producers said she only jumps instead of flies. Why is this still a debate?

Because there's always a chance to interpret their comments differently in such a way that they don't close the door on her actually being able to fly(since that part is comics accurate). Changes from source material are inevitable and necessary. However, whenever these people who are adapting their IP's can, it's almost always best to hew as close as possible to the source material. They may have to do it in a different fashion than in the comics but as long as they more or less end up in the same place at the end then I'd say that's what they should shoot for.

I didn't ignore that post. My first post was in response to you. The admins are likely wrong - they're social media administrators and, in many instances, they don't have any more inside knowledge than we do - just enthusiasm about a project.

You said:

And I responded with:

There's nothing saying she'll never fly. We've had comments saying 'not yet', but none saying she'll never fly. The Facebook comment left me wondering if she may be able to fly by, say, the third season. What I said was correct, we don't know that she'll never fly but you're sure that she won't despite nobody saying that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"