Today is my Birthday!

THORin

Sidekick
Reaction score
I’ll be going to the City today, to the Tolkien exhibition at the Morgan Library, and then just have lunch and hang out with some friends and family that live there. It’ll be pretty fun: I and two of my sisters are Tolkien geeks, so this is my type of birthday. I also got free Netflix as a birthday present last night, so that is very cool.

Go, go, go, go, go Charlie
It's your birthday
We gonna party like
It's your birthday
I'm going to do nothing
I don't celebrate a birthday
I'm just gonna gonna gonna gonna
Wish you a happy birthday

the_classic_victoria_sponge_cake_by_flash525-dd407r5.jpg

Thank you all so much! Just got back from the City - it was wonderful! I had a great time, and also got to Skype my other sister, who's living in England, and her new baby son. The exhibit itself was incredible, for someone as obsessed with Tolkien as I am - I was almost in tears as I walked in. Then we had lunch across the street at a nice little dinner, hung out for a while, and now I'm settling in at home - I happen to know that my family is preparing a surprise party for tonight, and now I have to act surprised :funny:
Thank you all for the kind words!

Yum, looks delicious. I can't wait to have some cake.

All the best @THORin, have a wonderful birthday and Tolkien it easy..... :-)

:funny:

Go, go, go, go, go Charlie
It's your birthday
We gonna party like
It's your birthday
I'm going to do nothing
I don't celebrate a birthday
I'm just gonna gonna gonna gonna
Wish you a happy birthday

Haha, thank you!

Happy Birthday THORin! :yay: Hope you have a great day and enjoy the exhibition!

Happy birthday, man!

Thank you! I had a wonderful time!

Happy birthday.

:djs::pal:

Did you know that the happy birthday song couldn't be used in films or TV shows for years until about 2016/ 2017 because Warner/Chappell Music claimed some copyright status over it. So it wasn't public domain until recently when the copyright expired in the EU in 2017, and a US federal court ruled in 2016 that Warner/Chappell had no copyright claim over the song.

Before then, films/ TV shows had to use songs like "For he's a jolly good fellow" or even Stevie Wonder's "Happy Birthday to you". If you used the traditional song in a film, you'd have to pay royalties or risk breaching copyright laws.

Happy birthday.

:djs::pal:

Did you know that the happy birthday song couldn't be used in films or TV shows for years until about 2016/ 2017 because Warner/Chappell Music claimed some copyright status over it. So it wasn't public domain until recently when the copyright expired in the EU in 2017, and a US federal court ruled in 2016 that Warner/Chappell had no copyright claim over the song.

Before then, films/ TV shows had to use songs like "For he's a jolly good fellow" or even Stevie Wonder's "Happy Birthday to you". If you used the traditional song in a film, you'd have to pay royalties or risk breaching copyright laws.

Thank you!
I did not know that, actually: thank you also for that information, which I can now use as fun trivia. :D

Thank you!
I did not know that, actually: thank you also for that information, which I can now use as fun trivia. :D

Apparently Warner/Chappell claimed copyright for every use in film, television, radio, anywhere open to the public, and for any group where a substantial number of those in attendance are not family or friends of whoever is performing the song.

That would mean anywhere where you have a large gathering or party in a public place would've been in breach of copyright before or you would have to pay for its use. In 2008, Warner collected about US$5,000 per day (US$2 million per year) in royalties for the song.

Ridiculous and exploitative huh? Fortunately it was proven to be a false copyright claim all these years.

Apparently Warner/Chappell claimed copyright for every use in film, television, radio, anywhere open to the public, and for any group where a substantial number of those in attendance are not family or friends of whoever is performing the song.

That would mean anywhere where you have a large gathering or party would've a public place would've been in breach of copyright before or you would have to pay for its use. In 2008, Warner collected about US$5,000 per day (US$2 million per year) in royalties for the song.

Ridiculous and exploitative huh? Fortunately it was proven to be a false copyright claim all these years.

That is fascinating, honestly. I had no idea how much history lay behind the Happy Birthday song!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"