Supergirl Season 5, Episode 9: "Crisis on Infinite Earths, Part 1" (MAJOR SPOILERS)

Yeah, last season was indeed the first time they did it, as I remember people rejoicing about that. But as I said in my edit, unfortunately it appears they have yet to do it with the DVD's, so it's just been the blurays thus far, which is a shame.
They’ve included all the crossover episodes in the Blu-Ray for a couple of seasons. My Supergirl season three Blu-Ray has all the installments of Crisis on Earth-X. Season four has all the Elseworlds episodes.

I feel like they could have done a better job with how they had coordinated the last major fight sequence between the heroes and the shadow demons.

If you watched carefully, Barry wasn't really using his superspeed when fighting with the group on the rooftop. Heroes like Superman and Supergirl shouldn't have been just standing around and shooting lasers at them as though they were carbon copies of cyclops either.

And it may have made more sense to use Lyla to show up in the end and get stunned by Oliver's arrow than the freaking monitor.
Oliver spent most of this season on Arrow coming up with a way to stop the Monitor. It's not too unbelievable that he could come up with something to stun him momentarily.

They’ve included all the crossover episodes in the Blu-Ray for a couple of seasons. My Supergirl season three Blu-Ray has all the installments of Crisis on Earth-X. Season four has all the Elseworlds episodes.
Ok then Earth-X was the first year they did it. But I know they didn't do it with Invasion, as there were a lot of complaints about that.

I wonder if the Oliver who died is one from an alternate Earth who switched places with our Oliver at the last few seconds before being killed by shadow demons and transported back to Earth-1 bunker.

I wonder if the Oliver who died is one from an alternate Earth who switched places with our Oliver at the last few seconds before being killed by shadow demons and transported back to Earth-1 bunker.

Highly Doubtful. Earth 16's Oliver didn't live the life that Earth 1's Oliver did. So by that account, he shouldn't even recognize or know who Mia is.

Highly Doubtful. Earth 16's Oliver didn't live the life that Earth 1's Oliver did. So by that account, he shouldn't even recognize or know who Mia is.

Not necessarily Earth-16 Oliver, but another Earth Oliver.

The bigger plot hole for me was why didn't the Monitor simply teleport all of the heroes at once to Earth 1? Harbinger (Lyla) was able to teleport several heroes at once between different Earths. Surely it wouldn't be a stretch to think that the Monitor can do that as well.

I am also pretty sure that the shots we saw of Hawk and Jason were from the deleted scenes of the original season 1 finale for Titans (where the concept of the multi-verse was originally scheduled to be introduced as well).

ELCJA6tWkAAMrx7

I wasn't totally bored bit I wasn't totally hyped ether throughout. Something about the end fight scene with the heroes are fighting the flying demons just seemed cheap and CW quality. What should be epic and great storytelling is cheap effects and a rushed script. Maybe its because we haven't seen the anti monitor yet but maybe it would have been better to show him or reverse flash first like loki was shown first in avengers 1 and set them up for the audience as the main antagonist. A red matter wave is just kind of dull.

OK so correct me now.

Technically National City is gone because Earth 38 is destroyed. However all the residence have now been relocated to Earth 1.

Yet the Supergirl series will continue post crisis unless they'd be balls enough to kill her like her comic book counterpart.

Meaning in a way the tptb have written themselves into a corner in terms of plot and contradiction

BTW… Just how many alien ships are sitting around on Earth-38 which could be used to evacuate 3 billion people? The math: If each of those ships can hold 1000 passengers, you’d need 3 million of them! Alternatively - if they were REALLY big ships with room for 1 million passengers each (!) - you’d “only” need 3000. :wow:

Then there’s the question of how long it takes to load 3 billion people onto ships. The internet poses some strange scenarios. And one has to do with how long it would take to evacuate NYC (population 8 million). The answer (assuming an orderly procession with no riots, etc.) is maybe eight days. So 3 billion would take…?

;nd

OK so correct me now.

Technically National City is gone because Earth 38 is destroyed. However all the residence have now been relocated to Earth 1.

Meaning in a way the tptb have written themselves into a corner in terms of plot and contradiction

Guggenheim said that Crisis offers each show the opportunity at a major overhaul - should the individual showrunners choose to do so. But in Supergirl’s case, this “option” doesn’t appear to be all that optional. Whereas, The Flash (assuming Earth-1 survives) could get by with very few changes.

I thought it was decent opener and I did like the Easter Eggs. I did not expect to see DCU Titans on the CW but it was cool they put it in for the Titans fans and it confirms that the DCU Titans is in the multiverse, I wouldn't be surprised if Doom Patrol or Swamp Thing have a cameo appearance in the Crisis. Also the Titans's footage is from the scrapped Titans S1 finale.

It did feel like a Supergirl episode and I have to admit that I wasn't engaged with most of the Supergirl stuff. The thing about Lena not trusting Kara and Alex wasn't really needed in this as it's confusing for those that don't watch Supergirl so therefore they wouldn't be heavily invested in this part of the story. But I did like Kara and Clark scene at the DEO. The episode does get better towards the end.

I thought the final fight scene with the shadow demons looked sloppy and cheap which is to be expected as this is the CW. But I did expect the Flash, Superman and Supergirl to do a lot better in the fight.

I did not expect Oliver to die in the beginning and I'm assuming that Amell will play other versions of Oliver. But I doubt this will be the actual end of E1 Oliver as the The Monitor did say that Oliver is supposed to have different ending and that he did not expect Oliver to die like this. Overall this episode was fine but it didn't wow me and it does feel a little rush. But I have hope that part two will be a lot better.

Last edited:
Can someone who is up to date on Titans help me out with something? See, I'm not up to date because I don't have DC Universe and only have access to both Titans and Doom Patrol because they're out on Blu-Ray. Working through Season 1 now.

Does anyone have an idea when that particular cameo on Titans may have taken place between Season 1 and 2? I'm only up to Asylum right now, but I'm curious if there were any particular moments when Jason Todd and Hank shared screen time. Maybe it comes later and I'm just not there yet, and I'm definitely not complaining about seeing someone from Titans, but just found it interesting that they went with those two specifically and maybe not just the foursome of Dick, Kory, Rachel, and Gar. Again, not complaining, but just curious.

Or hell, maybe Alan Ritchson and Curran Walters were the only two available?

I watched it. Definitely surprised they pulled the trigger on Ollie this early. That said, while I like this episode, I would hesitate to say that I loved it. Effectively it felt like act 1 and set up. I'm hoping and assuming future episodes will involve more jumping around shenanigans and all that stuff and I look forward to that type of stuff more than this particular episode offered. This entire episode basically was to set up the stakes. It's like if they had spent 40 minutes on Thanos trashing Thor's ship in Infinity War. So it's a decent start, but a little slow for me overall

If it were me, I would have started the episode off with something more epic. We basically got some cute Easter eggs of some universes falling, but I think it would have been better served to show something closer to like in Crisis the comic when the Crime Syndicate were making that final hopeless stand. All we got at the beginning was a bunch of people standing around, and that's not very interesting. We don't get to the meat of a final stand until the end of the episode. I would rather have seen some random Earth get decimated in a more meaningful way at the beginning then a bunch of random standing around Easter eggs. Even Argo City, which had more emotional weight to it admittedly, was just a bunch of people standing around. Do something!

Seeing one universe suffer an interesting demise is much better to your overall narrative then seeing a bunch of uninteresting ones thrown in just for the sake of fanservice. Think of something like the Abrams Star Trek or Infinity War. Those have awesome opening sequences with real stakes and emotion to them. Though the cameos were cute, they just lacked meat to them with the way they were done and executed here. I get that this is a TV show and not a like my previous examples were but you don't require a budget to write in heart and emotion into something. This is all basic writing 101

Last edited:
It did feel like a Supergirl episode and I have to admit that I wasn't engaged with most of the Supergirl stuff. The thing about Lena not trusting Kara and Alex wasn't really needed in this as it's confusing for those that don't watch Supergirl so therefore they wouldn't be heavily invested in this part of the story.

:up:

As clumsy as that scene was, the writers had the presence of mind to give Lena a sensible bit of dialog: her feud with Kara is irrelevant in the face of Earth’s imminent demise. Unfortunately, this fact should have been abundantly obvious to Alex too. Yet she spent the first couple of minutes of that scene reviewing backstory and apologizing to Lena. :huh:

Here’s hoping a Green Arrow from an Earth that has comicbook accurate facial hair joins the fray.

Echoing the sentiments of other posters, I didn’t like how they basically turned Supergirl into Superman.

4 more episodes for them to knock this thing out of the park. I hope they succeed.

:up:

As clumsy as that scene was, the writers had the presence of mind to give Lena a sensible bit of dialog: her feud with Kara is irrelevant in the face of Earth’s imminent demise. Unfortunately, this fact should have been abundantly obvious to Alex too. Yet she spent the first couple of minutes of that scene reviewing backstory and apologizing to Lena. :huh:

May be because Lena tricked them and manipulated the Phantom Zone projector when Malefic was threatening Earth's citizens? Alex had good reason to mistrust and good reason to think that may be Lena would need some grovelling. (In the eyes of a reasonable person, both are threats and big ones, even if one is possibly slowmoving. To take advantage of one means, one could also potentially take advantage of the other.)

It may be irrelevant to anyone but SG viewers. But, so is Oliver's backstory to people who don't watch Arrow. However, it makes it meaningful for people who actually watch SG or Arrow alone among the CW verse. The crisis may be for the comicbook fans who follow all shows, but a lot of others are also watching it because it contains their shows' characters. Some character consistency is required. And, hoped for.

Still angry and confused that not only did Barry and Oliver not talk to each other about the crisis and their deaths MONTHS BEFORE this, but also that they didn't warn Kara. Kara also has a hero on her show whose power it is to dream THE FUTURE, and instead of doing that Nia was either bizarrely using her powers to stop tidal waves or missing from preceeding episodes altogether. Just too many contrivances for my taste.

I honestly was surprised to see Ray/Atom move so well in that suit.

I thought it was a pretty good set up episode . I really didn't have any issues with it as others have had. It had an urgency to it much more akin to the Earth X crossover than the last crossover.

I wasn't bored at all. If anything , I felt it moved at a very fast pace at hit the ground running. The only slow bit for me was the Kara and Clark scene at the DEO talking about loss.

Other than that though, alot happened in a small amount of time, and i'm still trying to process everything happened in episode one.

I felt the characters all acted pretty much in character, so I didn't see any issues there. It was a good start IMO.

I don’t see how Ollie can be dead when we know he’ll be in a scene at the Smallville Kent Farm and he’ll be in a scene on the wave rider.

Introducing another Oliver Queen from a different Earth into this team would just seem utterly pointless and somewhat undo the sacrifice, so ultimately, Ollie either isn’t dead or something will happen that’ll bring him back.

Curious too how a mere Arrow can temporarily paralyse a cosmic being. Okay then.

Unless I’m mistaken too, Earth-X (and the Ray) are toast; pretty sure we saw that antimatter wave erase Earth-X. Regarding Kara outshining Clark too, make of it what you will, but Clark has been hanging about on Argo, thus isn’t going to be as radiated by solar energy as much as Kara is. That’s probably why she lasted longer.

Shadow Demons pretty much resembles time wraiths too. Unimaginative. Who knew such creatures were susceptible to various forms of martial arts and medieval weapons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"