Supergirl Season 5, Episode 9: "Crisis on Infinite Earths, Part 1" (MAJOR SPOILERS)

I don’t see how Ollie can be dead when we know he’ll be in a scene at the Smallville Kent Farm and he’ll be in a scene on the wave rider.

Introducing another Oliver Queen from a different Earth into this team would just seem utterly pointless and somewhat undo the sacrifice, so ultimately, Ollie either isn’t dead or something will happen that’ll bring him back.

Curious too how a mere Arrow can temporarily paralyse a cosmic being. Okay then.

Unless I’m mistaken too, Earth-X (and the Ray) are toast; pretty sure we saw that antimatter wave erase Earth-X. Regarding Kara outshining Clark too, make of it what you will, but Clark has been hanging about on Argo, thus isn’t going to be as radiated by solar energy as much as Kara is. That’s probably why she lasted longer.

Shadow Demons pretty much resembles time wraiths too. Unimaginative. Who knew such creatures were susceptible to various forms of martial arts and medieval weapons.

Its seemed like as soon as you punched one they blew up like a balloon. I still wanna know what oliver died from, he had a bloody face but did they break his back? He just seemed to die in a daytime soap opera dashion

Solid set up, fun, if a bit cheesy, but then that's both the CW and CRISIS, in many respects. You kind of have to turn your brain off for much of it. Pretty good effects, decent set-up action, storytelling, stakes. There's something fun about seeing the tuning forks and shadow demons in live-action, even though they're silly and over the top.

I thought they pulled their punches a bit though, even for the CW, especially when it comes to Oliver's death, because his death sequence was...not good. There's just no way around it. The execution wasn't good, the acting wasn't very good...I think it's got to be a red herring, and I don't think we've seen the last of him in some capacity. Unless they're just going to focus on his daughter carrying on his legacy Wildcat-style.

I thought they pulled their punches a bit though, even for the CW, especially when it comes to Oliver's death, because his death sequence was...not good. There's just no way around it. The execution wasn't good, the acting wasn't very good...I think it's got to be a red herring, and I don't think we've seen the last of him in some capacity. Unless they're just going to focus on his daughter carrying on his legacy Wildcat-style.
They best not! This is about both Crisis, and the end to Oliver Queen. Few people care (or seem to care) about Mia Queen. There’s no way they’ve killed Ollie off on the first episode of five, and in the manner in which they did. No way.

There’s other things I hope they’ll explain too; like why the Monitor saved Lois? I get Clark; he’s a superhero, but Lois is a reporter? Why save her and no other Kryptonian?

Also. Mars. What’s happened to E-38 Mars? John’s just found his brother, and now he’s been erased? That wasn’t even mentioned.

Solid set up, fun, if a bit cheesy, but then that's both the CW and CRISIS, in many respects. You kind of have to turn your brain off for much of it. Pretty good effects, decent set-up action, storytelling, stakes. There's something fun about seeing the tuning forks and shadow demons in live-action, even though they're silly and over the top.

That's what I think as well. I think we all have to keep in mind that this is a five part crossover dealing with multiple universes and possibilities, so we shouldn't assume that just because Ollie "died "in part one, that we won't see him again in the other four parts.

At this point, I think his death is much more akin to Avengers Infinity war snap deaths, than Tony's death in Avengers Endgame.

There’s other things I hope they’ll explain too; like why the Monitor saved Lois? I get Clark; he’s a superhero, but Lois is a reporter? Why save her and no other Kryptonian?

I suppose she'll be crucial when they're recruiting the rest of the heroes. She's technically the best investigative journalist in the Arrowverse. Or maybe Clark just dragged her pronto the moment Harbinger opened up the portal to get him. :p

It may be irrelevant to anyone but SG viewers. But, so is Oliver's backstory to people who don't watch Arrow. However, it makes it meaningful for people who actually watch SG or Arrow alone among the CW verse. The crisis may be for the comicbook fans who follow all shows, but a lot of others are also watching it because it contains their shows' characters. Some character consistency is required. And, hoped for.

A fair point. But… the scene didn’t really advance the “feud plot”; it just recapitulated it. So regular viewers who already know the backstory are no better off. And for non-viewers, the details wouldn’t matter.

That's what I think as well. I think we all have to keep in mind that this is a five part crossover dealing with multiple universes and possibilities, so we shouldn't assume that just because Ollie "died "in part one, that we won't see him again in the other four parts.

At this point, I think his death is much more akin to Avengers Infinity war snap deaths, than Tony's death in Avengers Endgame.

Surely they will let him go out firing an arrow at something...or firing himself as some kind of cosmic arrow...right? Right?

I suppose she'll be crucial when they're recruiting the rest of the heroes. She's technically the best investigative journalist in the Arrowverse. Or maybe Clark just dragged her pronto the moment Harbinger opened up the portal to get him. :p

Seems like a good bet.

Earth 89! I knew this was coming but man so cool to hear the 89 Batman theme.

Titans! Wasn’t expecting that!Earth 89! I knew this was coming but man so cool.

The Ray! I hope he pops back up.

Haha loved that Burt Ward cameo.

This Superman has faced Doomsday? Does that mean he died and came back?

Loved the call back to Jor El & Lara pitting baby Kal in the ship with baby Jon.

Brainy “this one speaks to Rabbits” brilliant

Star City 2046! Man that was awesome.

The heroes battling the shadow demons was awesome.

Oliver’s last stand, omg I wasn’t ready for it. Yes I cried! Surely he has to come back?

Negatives (nitpicks)
  • Why didn’t they use Keaton’s bat symbol for the bat signal on E89?
  • Lena was annoying this episode.
  • Kelly using that bloody shield.

Bring on the next episode!

A producer (Guggenheim?) admitted there was a "problem" with Ollie's death: it had been foreshadowed in Elseworlds and was teased ever since. So no surprise or shock factor. Except... if the tragic event happens in the very first Crisis episode! There's the shock. :wow:

Of course, this producer may be lying. :word:

I think Lex Luthor is going to do something where he causes the two Supermen to fight each other unknowingly through hallucination.

The Titans bit was especially half-ass.

Part of the reason seeing the other Earths in peril worked in the original graphic novel was the realization of the heroes and villains of the various Earths that this was the end. Their final interactions with loved ones, enemies, etc. The Crime Syndicate sequence alone was incredibly emotional.

Last edited:

Part of the reason seeing the other Earths in peril worked in the original graphic novel was the realization of the other heroes that this was the end. Their final interactions with loved ones, enemies, etc.

Exactly, and that is why I am very critical of the beginning. It created no emotion. It just put in random cameos for the sake of it. Do something more creative with those scenes. Make me care that they're gone! Don't just have people uninterestingly standing around doing basically nothing.

Seriously. I couldn't even tell if it was footage they shot for this crossover or just reused footage from that show, lol

To be honest, I didn't care much for this episode. It's kind of a pet peeve of mine when they put some huge event in a main character's story into one of these crossovers because they inevitably don't have time to give that event it's proper due and essentially gloss over it. In this case, Kara losing her mother (and people) for a 2nd time and basically reliving the absolute worst moment of her entire life, and she gets barely one scene to process it? **** that noise. In her own show, that would have been full episode/arc fodder. I would also throw Oliver's death into that category, as that was shockingly flat, if I didn't strongly suspect that's not his end. But yeah, so far, this has felt majorly rushed to me. Even the scene of Superman and Lois having to put their own child in a pod and send him off as they face their own annihilation just as his parents once had to do didn't have the gravitas it should have, because the episode simply didn't have time for that. There was little-to-no emotion in this episode, which is crazy to me considering all that happened in it.

Seriously. I couldn't even tell if it was footage they shot for this crossover or just reused footage from that show, lol

To be honest, I didn't care much for this episode. It's kind of a pet peeve of mine when they put some huge event in a main character's story into one of these crossovers because they inevitably don't have time to give that event it's proper due and essentially gloss over it. In this case, Kara losing her mother (and people) for a 2nd time and basically reliving the absolute worst moment of her entire life, and she gets barely one scene to process it? **** that noise. In her own show, that would have been full episode/arc fodder. I would also throw Oliver's death into that category, as that was shockingly flat, if I didn't strongly suspect that's not his end. But yeah, so far, this has felt majorly rushed to me. Even the scene of Superman and Lois having to put their own child in a pod and send him off as they face their own annihilation just as his parents once had to do didn't have the gravitas it should have, because the episode simply didn't have time for that. There was little-to-no emotion in this episode, which is crazy to me considering all that happened in it.

Agreed. Not to mention that the episode had to gloss over Kara and Clark's reaction after they were told that their Earth was gone. I mean they don't even know if all of their loved ones (i.e. Martha Kent, Mrs. Danvers, Jimmy, etc) even made it out alive as well. Being given that news should have emotionally devastated them as well.

Agreed. Not to mention that the episode had to gloss over Kara and Clark's reaction after they were told that their Earth was gone. I mean they don't even know if all of their loved ones (i.e. Martha Kent, Mrs. Danvers, Jimmy, etc) even made it out alive as well. Being given that news should have emotionally devastated them as well.
Yeah. It was basically a feeling of "oh, Earth-38's gone? Bummer." They should've both at least gotten a chance to ask after/worry over the fate of their loved ones. At the very least. Because they weren't all there. And what of Mars? J'onn literally just sent his brother whom he'd just reconciled with after centuries apart, to help M'Gann, whom he also cares about a great deal, in a damn revolution. Not even a mention.

Honestly we didnt need as much of the Lena subplot, they could've given that screentime to Kara/Kal dealiing with losing everyone they know.....AGAIN.

So it seems like based on episode 2 of COIE, the plan is
to bring back Earth 38?

Whatever Kara's plan is, you have to wonder if Superman, Lois, Martian Manhunter, or Alex would go with it.

I will say...the opening voiceover/history lesson was pretty much spot on.

A very weak setup since Supergirl was Act 1.

Definitely the weakest episode of Crisis so far. Kate and Ray's interactions were fun though.

If anyone bought the Crisis 100-page comic special for Wal-Mart, it takes place within the first part.

I saw the emotions at the time as......no time to grieve we have to get them back....it looks like Kara has set her emotions kn a path that is bordering on slight insanity on getting them all back. Something that Kate sees as well. As for Lois and Kal, I just chalked it off to not great acting. :/

One thing is for sure - Earth-38 Superman battled Doomsday, so there’s no point in going there in his upcoming series.

I want Tyler’s Superman to die All-Star style!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"