Reaction score
http://www.fourplayercoop.com/news/444-tomb-raider-reboot-the-first-details

5.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

UPDATE:
Okay, the site has removed the pics, but 'zepton' found another link with the info:
Looks like Square Enix lawyers have already moved in. Here you go. 1UP only has one pic but it does feature info on the game.

media

Tomb Raider Origins: Lara Croft Begins? It looks like that may be the direction the long-running series is headed in, as leaked pictures of what is supposedly new concept art suggest the next Tomb Raider game will give Lara her turn at a full-blown reboot.

The pics come by way of an insider "mole" who sent them to Four Player Co-Op (via Joystiq), and are attached to a fairly detailed description of what the concept of the new game might be -- and it sounds like Lara is taking a page out of fellow Brit adventurer Bear Grylls' book. It'll reportedly be an open-world game, with a "young and inexperienced" Lara Croft being marooned on a large and mysterious island. Survival will be a major theme of the game, as well as hunting and being hunted by mysterious enemies (no doubt the weird-looking claw people seen in the pictures). There will also be a new combat system that focuses more on "brutal" melee combat, as well as ranged weapons like guns and, for some reason, a bow.

These pictures also appear to be attached to what may be a survey seeking opinions on the new concept of the game, as one picture has the words "how much do you agree or disagree with each of the following statements?" visible at the bottom. There's also a bullet-point list of new features and ideas included with the images, which have been transcribed bellow:

* Hunt or Be Hunted: Evade, outsmart, trick and kill the mysterious enemies that hunt you as prey.
* Survival Action: Brutally attack and defend yourself as you fight to survive through visceral one-on-one melee combat.
* Strategic Weapons: Gain an advantage in combat by finding an array of different melee and ranged weapons including a variety of guns, and the hunter's ultimate weapon, the bow.
* Creative Survival: React and adapt to the island by using only that which you can salvage from the environment like climbing axes, rope, and machetes that can be used to unlock new traversal and combat gameplay options.
* Free Movement: Scramble up a vertical cliff wall, sprint and leap across a huge chasm, steer mid-air to land a misdirected jump: There is no one right way to traverse, survive, and explore the harsh environment of the island.
* One Cohesive World: The diverse multi-region island is an open playground alive with creatures, weather, and natural events.
* Origin Story: The new Tomb Raider concept reboots the franchise by exploring Lara Croft's transformation into a hardened adventurer as you unravel the story behind the island's mysterious past.

As usual with these types of leaks, keep in mind that not only is this all unconfirmed to be a legitimate possible concept for the new Tomb Raider, but that even if it is, a lot could still change by the time the game is released anyway.

So, thoughts? Do you like the idea of a meaner, more brutal Lara Croft... who apparently might wield a bow? Think the survival aspects could add an extra level of challenge and complexity to the Tomb Raider series?

Last edited:
It's Tomb Raider origins probably... :whatever:
The timeline is so:

1. This one
2. Anniversary
3. Legend
4. Underworld

I don't care one bit for this series anymore
Why are making it an origin?
Continue the story from Underworld!

Last edited:
Looks fresh and gritty, so I'm all for it. Always felt like the series didn't quite get the necessary revamp for this more mature generation of gamers.

What they need to reboot is the gameplay. Lara Croft as a character is fine to me.

Heh. I'm the opposite. The gameplay I enjoy for the most part, but I feel like Lara is totally two dimensional and a relic of the 90's.

Meh, Tomb Raider is pretty much a memory...it hasn't been that entertaining to me since Last Revelation.

I am seeing things or did it say that they're expecting this to have a M rating?

So she's fighting a mini Cloverfield and the girl from The Ring?

Meh, Tomb Raider is pretty much a memory...it hasn't been that entertaining to me since Last Revelation.

I've never played a Tomb Raider game but everyone seemed to like the first one and then it fell off for years.

What is the game Underworld like? Is it like Silent Hill? Does anyone have pics?

I have always like how better the effects and images got within time.

Looks like Square Enix lawyers have already moved in. Here you go. 1UP only has one pic but it does feature info on the game.

Hmm, that actually doesn't sound too bad. I don't see why it needed to be a full reboot, though. Why not just say Lara went on another adventure after Underworld and got stranded on this island?

Tomb Raider Begins. I will never get used to her having such small boobs, however. That is just sick.

Lol, well, if its a younger Croft, the smaller chest kinda makes sense. Also, i think giving her a smaller chest is a way to make her a character be taken more seriously in the gaming world; her story and character and abilities should be what define her, not her bust size.

Though it is true her figure is a staple of her character (like it or not), I wouldn't mind seeing a slightly more realistic take on her. She can still be designed as a "sexy" character, but that doesnt mean she has to be a barbie doll after plastic (no pun intended) surgery.

NO, I DON'T LIKE CHANGE! :cmad:

They should make it more like Myst as opposed to Silent Hill. More exploring and puzzle solving, less surviving mysterious monsters. The whole open-world idea does sound intruiging though.

I'm not sure how the open-world thing will work with Tomb Raider. It's hard enough figuring out exactly where to go on some puzzles half the time in other Tomb Raider games. I suppose they'll give you some indication of where to go and what to do, but I could see some problems arising from not designing levels/puzzles around a tightly focused path. Still, could be interesting.

I'm ambivalent on the increased focus on gunplay. It sounds like it might wind up becoming more like Uncharted, where the puzzles are a bit overly simplistic and the gunplay takes center stage. I love Uncharted, don't get me wrong, but Tomb Raider's always been more about exploration than shooting, so I don't know how I feel about it losing some of its identity to satisfy the short-attention-span crowd.

I actually like what I hear and think Square Enix will do right by Laura. I was worried at first what they would attempt, but this sounds like it might be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"