Tomb Raider: Underworld (PC, 360, PS3, PS2, Wii, DS)

Discussion in 'Misc. and Multiplatform Games' started by uchiha_itachi, Jan 19, 2008.

1. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

I have to wait until the 21st for Steam to unlock my version.

2. Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007

From the demo I think Underworld looks alittle better. The character model is better looking as well imo, looks less like a blow up sex doll and a little more anatomically grounded while still being stylized somewhat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Balthus Dire Punishment Continues

I don't know how anyone could say the graphics aren't better in Underworld. That's the first thing I noticed was how amazing the environments and Lara herself looked.

4. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Her face certainly has more character than the soulless, vacant Legend/Anniversary one. That was one thing that bothered me in those games. Everyone else's face had some personality to it while Lara's looked like a life-sized Barbie's.

5. Balthus Dire Punishment Continues

IGN gives "Tomb Raider: Underworld 7.5/10

They basically say the game plays great but the technical issues hold it back, like various clipping issues and the horrid camera control.

I'll still be buying it because after playing the demo I was already aware of these issues. Hopefully they can patch some of them.

Also, incase it hasn't already been posted, DLC will be coming to the 360 down the road but not the PS3.

6. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

I'm kind of used to terrible camera control in Tomb Raider games anyway.

7. Balthus Dire Punishment Continues

8. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

GamesRadar gave it a 9/10

I don't know why they hated the boss battles so much, though. I thought they were fine in Anniversary. Don't really remember them in Legend.

9. Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
  10. The Guardian Forever In Darkness

Hi guys, some great reviews, that's nice to see!!!:D:up: Sorry I haven't posted my thoughts yet:O but I'm just not far enough in the game to give a well informed opinion!!! But from what I've played so far, it's awesome, I love the visuals, it's a beautiful looking game and the gameplay is typical TOMB RAIDER which is a good thing, I'm having fun with it, I'll post more about it soon!!!:D:up:

11. gtkilla Registered

Yep, it's gotten mostly good reviews with a few sevens here and there, but for the most part it's been fairly positive. :D I don't like some reviews listing some fundamentals of a TR game (like challenging puzzles, 'stumped' moments, actually looking and searching for a route around a level as opposed to a brightly highlighted path) as negatives. :rolleyes: Some gamers these days are just so dumb. :down Although, it just means I'll enjoy the game more since I love those things. :D

Hopefully, I'll be able to get my copy tomorrow. :D

TheGuardian, I'm looking forward to your impressions as well. :up:

12. Havok83 Registered

This game looks amazing. Definetly best looking TR game and that should be no surprise as this is the first one built for the current generation of consoles. The opening scene with Lara in the mansion is very well done.

13. ProjectPat2280 SELLING...PERFECTION

I think Lara Croft and Nathan Drake need to hook up.

14. Havok83 Registered

Ive thought about that too. That would make for one good crossover game if they ever did meet up in the gaming world or even some CGI clips

15. Joined:
    Jan 31, 2007
    so does the tomb raider continue on the story from legend?

16. Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
  17. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Yeah, that was lame to hear about. It's really not even necessary with Tomb Raider. I could understand it with Kane and Lynch (although I couldn't ever condone the extent to which Eidos took it), since that's a new franchise without any built-in fanbase, but TR's been around for over a decade and has people like several of us, who were excited for Underworld as soon as we started seeing screens, that were going to buy it regardless. Lame on Eidos' part. :(

18. Balthus Dire Punishment Continues

Read the follow up.

And I can't believe you guys actually read Kotaku. That website is such a load of ****.

19. Timstuff Registered

I actually read that the downloadable content was originally going to be on the disc, but Microsoft paid Eidos to cut it out and sell it as an Xbox Live exclusive, and as a result the retail game is shorter than it should be. If that's true, then that really burns my ass. Screw you, Micro$oft! :cmad:

20. Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    Personally I trust them more so than several of the other larger gaming web sites.
    78% on metacritic atm.

21. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

I read that story on another website earlier today, actually. I only saw the Kotaku page after you mentioned the update and I clicked kez's link to read that.

22. Timstuff Registered

Kotaku drops the ban hammer like the middle class drops pennies.

23. BlackLantern Registered

I think a lot of these review sites have a lot more influence than anyone is willing to admit....I take them all with a big grain of salt...

24. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

I read the reviews from GamesRadar and watch the X-Play reviews as video podcasts, but if I was planning to buy a game anyway, their reviews don't really influence me. A lot of the time, the reviews are pretty clearly tainted by personal qualms with the games rather than objective looks at the games' elements. The GamesRadar review of TR: Underworld, for example, is full of complaints about the boss battles in Legend and Anniversary and praises Underworld for relegating them to cutscenes, but I actually liked some of the boss battles in the former two games and didn't have a problem with the rest. Only if I'm really on the fence about a game and the reviews almost all say it's a piece of trash will I pass on it based on the reviews, like I did for Spider-Man 3.

25. xwolverine2 Arkham Assassin

tomb raider legend and underworld both have the best video game music ever...
    with the exception of maybe god of war