Top 5 Bands (and your 3 favorite songs by them)

American_Idiot

Sidekick
Reaction score
Also, a quick blurb about what you like about the song or artist is acceptable. :oldrazz:

1. the Beatles
- "Something" : Just an incredibly soothing song that takes my mind adrift everytime I hear it.
- "Because" : Again, soothing, and beautifully melodic.
- "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" : Its difficult to choose just three songs by this band, but this one is just amazing on so many levels.

2. Incubus
- "11 am" : The lyrics make me reflect on my days as a youth, and the overall sound is just...perfect.
- "Mexico" : A beautiful acoustic track, complete with violins, and Boyd's superb lyrics/voice.
- "Consequence" : The guitar at the song's beginning had me at first listen.

3. Green Day
- "Homecoming (parts 1-5)" : A rock opera, in the taste of MCR's "Black Parade", only this came first.
- "Misery" : Very different sounding than anything else by the band, and just a cool, catchy, little number.
- "Boulevard of Broken Dreams : The song received radio overkill, but I can't deny that I played this rock ballad over and over before the radio did.

4. Silverchair
- "Shade" : An unforgettable song of sorrow from the band's debut album.
- "Steam Will Rise" : Trippy and a little repetitive, but effin' love it anyway.
- "My Favorite Thing" : John's sings his heart out here, and the result is love song that should've/could've been a huge hit.

5. Marcy Playground
- "Never" : Sad, sad song, yet so dark and beautiful - full of imagery.
- "Opium" : Another dark and beautiful song, with a little psychadelia thrown in.
- "Sleepy Eyes" : The title says it all. Puts me to sleep, and I'm ok with that.

That's too much math for most of the users here.

I'm actually working on a list and may put it up, but you should have mentioned it as Top 5 Bands/Artists

No Sex & Candy for you A.I.? :hehe:

GWAR
-'Filthy Flow'
-'Horror of Yig'
-'Vlad the Impaler'

SAMHAIN
-'the Shift'
-'The Howl'
-'To Walk the Night'

CANNIBAL CORPSE
-'Force Fed Broken Glass'
-'Pounded into Dust'
-'Stripped, Raped & Strangled'

CANCERSLUG
-'My Black Angel'
-'More Than You'
-'Lullaby to Help you Die'

Can't be bothered to type another band... getting ready fo work!

Dream Theater - possibly the most talented group of musicians around today, Dream Theater has been a juggernaut of progressive rock (and sometimes metal) for nearly 20 years. Their current lineup has been intact for the past 14.
  • Metropolis: Part 1 - Images & Words
  • Octavarium - Octavarium
  • Another Day - Images & Words
Opeth - this Swedish death metal band is far more than what that genre might imply. Their music runs the gamut from as heavy as you can imagine to as soft as it can be (the album Damnation has no distortion, for crying out loud). This applies to their vocals as well. An amazing band, to be sure.
  • Master's Apprentices - Deliverance
  • The Leper Affinity - Blackwater Park
  • The Drapery Falls - Blackwater Park
Metallica - although there is a divide among people in their views of Metallica (the people) as well as Metallica (the band), they still stand as one of the most influential bands in American metal. Their first four albums showed their progression as their music got more varied, thoughtful, aggressive, and instrumental-based. Unfortunately, this came to a stand-still with the release of their self-titled album better known as the "Black" album. After that, it's all up to personal preference in regards to whether or not you like the music they released. Hopefully, with what little has been released of their upcoming album, we can hope that they've gotten back to where they left off in 1988 with ...And Justice for All.
  • Ride the Lightning - Ride the Lightning
  • Blackened - ...And Justice for All
  • Orion (Instrumental) - Master of Puppets
Liquid Tension Experiment - if you like Dream Theater, fusion, and jazz, you'll love this band (three current members of DT were in this group :cwink:)
  • Acid Rain
  • Paradigm
Beatles
  • Blackbird
  • Eleanor Rigby
  • Lady Madonna

Nice list and info Batto, I'll be sure to look into a few of those I'm unfamiliar with

radiohead:
the bends
fake plastic trees
optimistic

bob dylan:
mr. tambourine man
simple twist of fate
you're gonna make me lonesome when you go

the beatles:
happiness is a warm gun
helter skelter
a day in the life

sonic youth:
stereo sanctity
do you believe in rapture?
purr

pavement:
silence kit
here
gold soundz

I'm actually working on a list and may put it up, but you should have mentioned it as Top 5 Bands/Artists

No Sex & Candy for you A.I.? :hehe:

Yeaaaah...no. That could very well be my least favorite song by Marcy Playground. Unfortunately, it will be the song most people remember them by.

Rolling Stones
Brown Sugar
Slipping Away
Little T&A

Aerosmith
Love in an Elevator
Cryin'
Dude Looks Like a Lady

Bob Dylan
Like a Rolling Stone
Hurricane
Lay Lady Lay

Bob Marley
No Woman No Cry
Three Little Birds
I Shot The Sheriff

The Who
Baba O'Riley
Wont Get Fooled Again
Who Are You

Nirvana:
All Apologies
You know You're Right (Acoustic Demo)
Rape Me (Acoustic Demo)

Foo Fighters:
My Hero
Come Alive
Marigold

Soundgarden:
Burden In My Hand
Blow Up The Outside World
Jesus Christ Pose

System Of A Down:
Forest
Hypnotize
Prison Song

Oasis:
Go Let It Out
Champagne Supernova
Don't Look Back In Anger

There, that outta do it.

Reel Big Fish:
Trendy
Beer
Where Have You Been

Nine Inch Nails:
Hurt
March of the Pigs
Head Like A Hole

The Futureheads:
Meantime
Decent Days and Nights
Piece of Crap

Rage Against The Machine:
Bullet In The Head
Sleep Now In A Fire
Testify

Bloc Party:
Positive Tension
Banquet
Two More Years

OK Go

Get Over It - First song I heard from them, about four/five years ago. Fell in love with the track, and that's what got me into the band.

Invincible - Such a powerful song. Hearing them play this just mere centimetres away from them was the best thing evar.

Can't choose another, as I haven't disliked any of their other stuff. I could listen to Oh No, and their self titled album again and again throughout the day. Notable songs; Crash the Party, Return, Do What You Want, You're So Damn Hot.

We Are Scientists

Inaction

The Great Escape

Chick Lit

Great lyrics for all of these songs. I love WAS's style, and their songs have the ability to get me dancing immediately. Shame they lost their drummer, as he practically made the With Love and Squalor album.

Finch

Perfection Through Silence

Three Simple Words

Awake

Ah, the band that made me grow my hair, make me wear stupid clothes, and helped me become interested in heavy music. Thankfully, I shifted away from such stuff as Linkin Park, which I used to absolutely bum when I was a wee teenager. But with Finch, they've always been welcome to my music collection. Sure, they might to be blame for introducing more 'screaming' bands to the industry...but I just love the band. It's strange how the 5/6 year old hoodie STILL fits.

That's all I can think about for now, who really sticks out for me. I would mention Be Your Own Pet, Bloc Party, Something Corporate, RHCP, Foo Fighters, anything by Gwen Stefani...but, alas...I can't really pick another favourite out of these.

I love We Are Scientists. They where great live and they should of stole Gary from the Libertines/Dirty Pretty Things as he was great when he was playing with them.

I also saw them do a Q&A which was hilarious. I liked it when they had a tug of war game with The Futureheads and where shouting 'Give Us Ross'!

5334013.gif

Some of you guys listen to really sick music=]

Tool

The Pot
Schism
lateralus.

Marilyn Manson

Tainted Love
The Dope Show
Personal Jesus.

Vampire Mooose

Spiderman Vs. Venom
Del Fontineau
Stew

Primus

To defy the laws of tradition
Too Many Puppies
Lacqure Head

Acid Bath

New Death Sensation
Jezebel
Cassie Eats Cockroaches

My current top 5 (it changes by the month)

Jimi Hendrix

Angel
Voodoo Child
Castles made of sand

Carlos Santana

Europa
Black magic woman
Bella

The Ramones

I wanna be sedated.
Blitzkrieg pop
Rock N Roll High School

Jeff Buckley

Lover you should have come over
Last goodbye
We all fall in love sometimes

The Rolling Stones.

Moonlight Mile
Wild Horses
Brown Sugar

The Beatles
You've Got To Hide Your Love away
Strawberry Fields
Revolution

Oasis
Half the World away
Don't Look Back In Anger
Slide away

Kula Shaker
Hey Dude
Grateful When You're Dead
Shower Your Love

Guns N Roses
Night Train
Estranged
Don't Cry (original, single version)

The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Crosstown Traffic
If 6 Was 9
Angel

The Beatles
Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/ The End
Strawberry Fields Forever
Happiness Is A Warm Gun

Led Zeppelin
Achilles Last Stand
Over The Hills And Far Away
The Rover

ZZ Top
Cheap Sunglasses
Mexican Blackbird
My Head's In Mississippi

Jimi Hendrix
Machine Gun
Voodoo Chile
Little wing

Black Sabbath
Hand Of Doom
Supernaut
Black Sabbath

Dream Theater - possibly the most talented group of musicians around today, Dream Theater has been a juggernaut of progressive rock (and sometimes metal) for nearly 20 years. Their current lineup has been intact for the past 14.

Another Dream Theater fan :up:

I love We Are Scientists. They where great live and they should of stole Gary from the Libertines/Dirty Pretty Things as he was great when he was playing with them.

Tell me about it. Seeing them at Loughboro Uni was amazing, but I unfortunately missed out in seeing them when they played a few months back :csad:

And ah, The Libertines. Another favourite of mine.

Dream Theater

1. Metropolis Part 1
  2. Peruvian Skies
  3. A Change of Seasons

Journey

1. Don't Stop Believing
  2. Rubicon
  3. Faithfully

Led Zepplen

1. Stairway to Heaven
  2. Kashmir
  3. Houses of the Holy

Van Halen

1. Running with the Devil
  2. Unchained
  3. The Cradle will Rock
Symphony X

1. Accolade II
  2. The Turning
  3. Paradise Lost

5. Vixen:
Edge of a Broken Heart
Rev It Up
Love Is A Killer

4. Heart:
Barracuda
Blue Guitar
Sweet Darlin'

3. Within Temptation:
Forgiven
Memories
Our Farewell

2. Blondie:
In the Flesh
Dreaming
Heart of Glass

1. Nightwish:
Beauty of the Beast (Not to be confused with Beauty and the Beast from their debut album.)
Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan
Slaying the Dreamer

They named two songs that?

That's just lazy! :woot:

No no, one is Beauty of the Beast, which is really just the name of three lyrical passages that were connected together into one massive, epic song in one on their third album Century Child. The titles are in order from first to last, with some interlacing into the other:

Long Lost Love
One More Night To Live
Christabel

To fully appreciate this epic song here's a link to it performed live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVk9FWU0KBk

Beauty and the Beast was as I stated the song from their first album Angels Fall First. Here is a live performance of that song.

I did you a favor and linked to the live version with Tony Kakko of Sonata Arctica instead of Tuomas Holopainen who is a phenomenal songwriter but awful singer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnaqH7Xy0Oo

The switching of one word is no more unoriginal than having two songs from different artists with the same title.

Of course Nightwish has more than three songs I really really like. Another good song is Dead Boy's Poem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e-AeRiDEBw

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"