• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Toy Story 4

Love the logo with the carnival lights.

Enjoyed the new teaser they released today much more. I wonder if they released it one day after the first teaser was released due to the backlash?

Anyway those two new characters seem like real fun.

I'm not sure I would classify it as "backlash."

Pixar has a track record of mostly having terrible teaser trailers. I don't know why some people are surprised on that front.

Love the new characters Forky, Ducky and Bunny.

When a new toy called "Forky" joins Woody and the gang, a road trip alongside old and new friends reveals how big the world can be for a toy.

This new plot is a million times better than that old one about Woody/Buzz searching for Bo Peep.

Bo Peep is still in this movie, so that might still be a subplot.

I hope so. Bo Peep is one of my favs - she got totally sidelined in Toy Story 3. Was she even there?
Woody mentioned her when talking about the toys who were sold/given away at the beginning of the movie.

Woody mentioned her when talking about the toys who were sold/given away at the beginning of the movie.

Thanks - I have forgotten so much about Toy Story 3. It never impacted me like the other two. This next one will be better, I think.

I know the main story came up from the original team (Lassetter, Unkrich, Docter and Stanton) which is a good sign, but all the shenanigans behind the scenes about Lasseter stepping out as director and Josh Cooley (without any main directorial experience) taking over, and the change of writers and all that makes me a bit worried. Let's say Pixar's quality hasn't been the same since Toy Story 3.

Inside Out and Coco stand among Pixar's best work. Any era.
Yep. I agree. But then you have Cars 2, The Good Dinosaur (which is actually quite good, but Dreamworks-like level), Monsters University that didn't live up to the greatness of the first one, Brave... I mean, it's been a hit or miss for a while, even though the hits are still quite up there as their best.

Yep. I agree. But then you have Cars 2, The Good Dinosaur (which is actually quite good, but Dreamworks-like level), Monsters University that didn't live up to the greatness of the first one, Brave... I mean, it's been a hit or miss for a while, even though the hits are still quite up there as their best.

Unpopular opinion maybe, but Monsters Inc for me is good but far from Pixar's best work. Never saw Monster's University. Honestly didn't see Cars 2 or The Good Dinosaur either, so cannot comment. But Cars 2 did look awful.

It's is incredible, but I don't even think it is their best scene in terms of emotional heft. There are multiple scenes from Wall-E, Coco, Toy Story 3, Finding Dory, and a few others that I think match it in that regard. But if I was to crown a champion in that regard, there can only be one.

Many scenes from Pixar have put tears in my eyes. But I legitimately can't handle this scene, even now. It get's me every single time, and I can't help it.

Dear Lawd, Bing Bong in Inside Out is beyond pain, it's heart, gut wrenching pain. It's the death of childhood in a moment and as 'liberating' as that it in moving towards another time in one's life, the way the film handles and presents that, whilst beautifully formed in it's emotion, it's 'pull your heart out and make you inwardly scream with pain' levels of self actualisation.

I know the main story came up from the original team (Lassetter, Unkrich, Docter and Stanton) which is a good sign, but all the shenanigans behind the scenes about Lasseter stepping out as director and Josh Cooley (without any main directorial experience) taking over, and the change of writers and all that makes me a bit worried. Let's say Pixar's quality hasn't been the same since Toy Story 3.
The "lows" since 2010 have been arguably their lowest lows. But the highs since, have been their highest highs. Inside Out might be their best film.

I get nostalgic with the older films, but if I am honest, in terms of stoytelling, animation and just straight up all around filmmaking, they have been making their best films most recently. Which makes sense. I actually think the sequel situation is a good example. The sequels, with the exception of Cars 2, have shown an advancement in the work. Where the earlier films had pacing and/or character issues imo, they have improved on that a lot. Watching Dory and Nemo back to back makes it really stark to me. Dory does everything Nemo does, just a lot better. There is more emotion in the opening of Dory, then all of Nemo for me, and it isn't even the most emotional scene. Then there is the difference between Nemo's crew in isolation and Dory's. Destiny, Bailey, and Hank are terrific, and Nemo grows far more as a character hanging out with his father in Dory.

The Incredibles are far closer, and while the second argument has a lesser villain, it splits the roles of their parents far better, allowing both to have fun and interesting arcs. It does not suffer the pacing problems the first film has at times (namely the island) and has a much better third act imo. There they give all the characters something to do, and it is just far more visually impressive then the flat city at the end of the first film.

If I were to rank the films I would go something like this:

1. Inside Out
2. The Incredibles 2
3. Wall-E
4. The Incredibles
5. Coco
6. Toy Story 3
7. Finding Dory
8. Ratatouille
9. Toy Story
10. Up
11. Toy Story 2
12. Finding Nemo
13. Brave
14. Monsters University
15. Monsters Inc.
16. Cars 3
17. A Bug's Life
18. The Good Dinosaur
19. Cars
20. Cars 2

They've matured in their filmmaking, of course, but the thing is I think their earliest stuff is still miles away from many of the current stuff in animation. They've paved the way for Dreamworks, Blue Sky, Illumination, etc. And much of their films still aren't as good as the first Toy Story or even A Bug's Life, which I think is their most underrated work. It's a A+ studio which makes it much difficult for them when they don't get a GREAT film, they fail in comparison with their best work. Luckily they still got it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"