TPBs Bought/Thought Thread

Dwarf lord said:
Hal and Barry were the original Brave and the Bold. Hal was always really good friends with Barry. Maybe even more than with Ollie
I think the emphasis in the more modern comics has switched to Hal and Ollie's friendship more than Hal and Barry's though. Probably 'cause Hal and Ollie are still alive in some way.

Weird, it just occurred to me that every member of that "trinity" has died and come back in some form.

There was a mini a few years back written by Mark Waid and Drawn by Barry Kitson. It's recomended.

Yep, that's it. It features adventures of Hal and Barry. Guest stars are Green Arrow, Kid Flash, Star Saphire, Sinistro, The Rogues. Recomended to all people who have a taste for nostalgia.

Waid and Kitson on it means that I'll probably get it eventually. I will hungrily consume anything Waid writes because he is, in my opinion, one of the greatest writers ever in comics.

Reading Moore's Swamp Thing, finally. Pretty good so far, starting issue 25 right now, where Jack Kirby's Demon is resurectted.

Reading Bone... I know I'm late, and well.... I don't really like it that much. I can't explain it. Seemed cheesy in a way.

Top Ten, book 1... Amazing. Love every page.

TheCorpulent1 said:
Waid and Kitson on it means that I'll probably get it eventually. I will hungrily consume anything Waid writes because he is, in my opinion, one of the greatest writers ever in comics.

Im my minority opinion, it's the best Waid's done. I liked it better than Kingdome Come.

I was looking at the reviews for this book on Amazon and I got to thinking how funny it is that everybody else can say they loved something, and it was some of the best stuff they ever read, then there is always one @$$hole that pans the book. How can you call this book Dull? It's freakin Mark Waid!!!

Dwarf lord said:
Im my minority opinion, it's the best Waid's done. I liked it better than Kingdome Come.
Maybe it's because it's still fresh in my mind, but I think JLA: Heaven's Ladder is my favorite Waid tale at the moment. Hitch's artwork was magnificent and Waid's story was really interesting.

Anubis said:
I was looking at the reviews for this book on Amazon and I got to thinking how funny it is that everybody else can say they loved something, and it was some of the best stuff they ever read, then there is always one @$$hole that pans the book. How can you call this book Dull? It's freakin Mark Waid!!!

One person said Peter David bastardized The Punisher and that he ruined all the depth that Ennis gave him. I must be reading the wrong book because Ennis gave him less depth.

As much as I love Ennis' run on the character, you are right. He's become a killing machine, who simply doesn't give a damn. To tell you the truth, I perfur it that way.

Oh and I went ahead and changed it from DC stuff to whatever. Feel free to comment upon anything you have recently bought/thought.

Ennis tried his hand at a little depth with the last arc. Frank formed a bond with the little girl.

Anubis said:
As much as I love Ennis' run on the character, you are right. He's become a killing machine, who simply doesn't give a damn. To tell you the truth, I perfur it that way.

Oh and I went ahead and changed it from DC stuff to whatever. Feel free to comment upon anything you have recently bought/thought.

I read the MK series, not a fan of Marvel's MAX stuff as much as I am Vertigo. But yeah, Ennis did not give Punisher depth.

Dwarf lord said:
Yep, that's it. It features adventures of Hal and Barry. Guest stars are Green Arrow, Kid Flash, Star Saphire, Sinistro, The Rogues. Recomended to all people who have a taste for nostalgia.
It's freaking awesome and I recommend it highly. Alan Scott and Jay Garrick also play big parts in one issue, and we get to see Alan really being a dick to Hal and it's... actually pretty funny.
*Alan holds up a doll he found in Hal's bag* "Explain. Now."
It's set up a lot like the current Spider-Man/Human Torch mini being written by Dan Slott but it's NOT a comedy book. It has a series of adventures that take place over the span of Hal and Barry's careers and there is no real plot connecting each book; they’re all stand-alone stories.
It’s a lot of fun and it’s really, really, really depressing if you stop and think about it…

Well, I guess I gotta add it to the list. That puts it at about 50.

Bat-Mantis said:
it’s a lot of fun and it’s really, really, really depressing if you stop and think about it…

Good. Now I don't feel weird for getting emotional when I was reading it.

O.k., read a couple of trades this week. Starman Vol 2, World Without Superman, and JSA Savage Times.

First off, Starman, another great trade. Jack Knight is slowly becoming one of my favorite characters.
but what was up with him doing that octavia chick? I mean she looked o.k. in the face, but she had freakin tenticules for arms and legs. SIck!!! But...with enough booze in me, I'd give it a shot.
It was also great to see Nash become the new Mist. I can tell she's gonna be Hell for Jack. I give it a 9 out of 10.

Next up, World Without Superman. Gotta tell you, didn't really like it. I thought the heros coming together to try and answer some of Supes fan mail was, well, kinda lame. I thought all that time spent trying to revive him was a bit sappy too. I guess it's because I knew how things were gonna turn out I just couldn't enjoy it. Question, why is Lex young? And British? ANd has hair? And banging a shapeshifting super girl? 5 out of 10.

And Savage Times. This was great too. Not only was it a good read, but I finally completed got every part of the JSA series in either trade or comic form. Great to see PG beat up her super powered stalker "DA BOMB". And Captain Marv was front and center in this book. Love the character. Love the JSA. 9 out of 10.

I got 100 Bullets and Batman Chronicles. Haven't read either yet.

All right, so JLA: Year One got me interested in Barry and Hal, so I read the Brave and the Bold TPB. Awesome stuff. I had no idea Hal was like that before he really got his act together. I didn't think it was depressing at all though, except maybe at the end.

Im working on a Saturday so I raced to the Books A Million to gourge myself on all the Starwars goodness and managed to pick up Flash: Ignition and Avengers Forever...along with the novelization of Revenge of the Sith. I cant wait to get home....

TheCorpulent1 said:
All right, so JLA: Year One got me interested in Barry and Hal, so I read the Brave and the Bold TPB. Awesome stuff. I had no idea Hal was like that before he really got his act together. I didn't think it was depressing at all though, except maybe at the end.

Yeah the end is what got me. I'm getting JLA: Year One next along with the first 2 Hawkman trades.

Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?- I got emotional from reading the introduction. I don't know how Swan and Schwartz finished it knowing that it would be their last Superman story ever. But they story was just as emotional and heartbreaking. Watching not only Superman's family break up but characters that I've grown to enjoy die was very draining. I wish comics were still writen like this. This "The End" story was 2 issues long as opposed to X-Men: The End being 18 issues long. There's a bit of a difference.
100/10

TheCorpulent1 said:
I didn't think it was depressing at all though, except maybe at the end.
I thought it was depressing because we saw how young and happy they were (except for Barry after Iris died). They just absolutely loved what they were doing and a few years later they'd both be dead.
That's why it depressed me... not so much because of any sad scene in the book, but because I knew the tragedy that was coming next.

I've never really viewed either of their deaths as tragic. Barry's death earned him a place among the greatest heroes of all time, plus the fact that he gets to live his last few years out with Iris in the 30th century sort of takes the sadness away from it. Hal went through a bunch of crap before he died, but we're right on the precipice of his return, so that takes the tragedy out of his death. There's foreshadowing, sure, but we know it turns out all right in the end, so what's to be sad about?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"