Revenge of the Fallen Transformers 2 at the Box Office

Sentinel X

optical illusion
Reaction score
How much do you think this film is going to make??...
looking at DVD sales I'm honestly predicting a 100+ million dollar opening and 400 million domestic!

Wow, those are pretty bold numbers. I am no box office guru... I'll leave that up to the likes of MM and the rest, but it will do extremely well if the story and characterization are improved upon.

It has all the potential to do better then the first, and like most of these genre movies that are part of a trilogy/or potential one they are often more popular. What was the figures TF1 made?

Roughly 320 million domestic and 700 million worldwide! Its a huge success
And DVD sales made like over 200 million.
Thats why I'm predicting a pretty big opening weekend and domestic...maybe domestic might be more in the high 300s but opening weekend should surely take up 100 million.

Well it should make well over $300~ domestic, maybe just a little over TF1. I'll make an early prediction of $337~, remember that figure 18 months from now ;)

somewhere around 250-300mil domestic should be about right

Transformers:
Domestic: $319,246,193
Foreign: $388,429,551

Worldwide: $707,675,744

Opening Weekend: $70,502,384

I think it's very likely that Transformers 2 will make more than 100million opening weekend, but it's way to early to begin to think how much it will make total. Mainly because we don't have the competition's dates yet.

For instance, looking at summer 09:

May 1
- The Hannah Montana Movie
- X-Men Origins: Wolverine

May 8
- Star Trek

May 15
- Angels & Demons

May 22
- Night at the Museum 2: Escape From the Smithsonian
- Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins

une 5
- Fast and Furious
- The Year One

June 12
- The A-Team
- Nowhereland

June 19
- Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

June 26
- Transformers 2

July 1
- Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs
- Public Enemies

July 10
- 2012 (Roland Emmerich)

July 17
- Land of the Lost

July 24
- G-Force
- Piranha 3-D
- Planet 51

July 31
- The Taking of Pelham One, Two, Three
- Untitled Judd Apatow Comedy

August 7
- G.I. Joe

We have to wait and see how Prince of Persia looks, but Transformers should definitely hit the 300million mark domestically. Transformers and Ice Age 3 will probably be the contenders for the number 1 spot for Summer09.

i think this will be one of those films that breaks all kinds of records towards the begining (like biggest opening, biggest weekend, biggest week, and stuff) but i think it will get an overall lower total. (similar to what spiderman 3 did)

Around 800 million worldwide is a good estimate. Its a sequel to a box office hit action movie about robots fighting. More action, bigger budget = more robot smash, so people will see it even more times, even if the plot is a little iffy.

The DVD made over $273 million in the US alone, TF 2 will probably be a smash at the BO, especially if the marketing is as good as it was for the first movie.

I will like to bump this ancient thread to see a few predictions now that the superbowl spot has hit. :)

I think its pretty safe to say that it'll cross the 400 million mark, going off the success of the first film. Plus, the Superbowl spot has created a lot of buzz and the lack of any real competition are major factors.

Or maybe I'll turn out wrong and end up being a jackass in a few months. :hehe:

Domestic: 350,000,000

Opening weekend: 80,000,000

I think its pretty safe to say that it'll cross the 400 million mark, going off the success of the first film. Plus, the Superbowl spot has created a lot of buzz and the lack of any real competition are major factors.

Or maybe I'll turn out wrong and end up being a jackass in a few months. :hehe:

I'm leaning with TF2 crossing the 400 mil mark. The tone of the teaser will create some good buzz. It is similar to one of the teasers released for the first movie. Word of mouth for a fun yet more serious movie than the first one will push it past 400 mil. If the movie is only on par with the first movie then I will retract my prediction.

Economic downturn anyone? Recession?

Things aren't looking too great in the cinema business these days. I've encountered a number of cost cutting measures proposed just to keep cinemas in business, some of which I'd describe as "stupidity born of desperation." I've also noted Disney's withdrawal from The Voyage of the Dawn Treader citing on the back of economic risk and can't help but wonder what other tent pole projects are likely to be put on hold or scaled back.

I have no doubt that Transformers 2 will be a success. I expect repeat viewings to be curbed a little and attendance in general may be down a bit, throwing some of the early predictions out the window.

Are you kidding? Economic downturn = Bigger attendance. People are looking for an escape. Just take a look at the Box Office these last two months. Has January ever been this big? No. Films that don't normally do this well are doing incredible business. If anything, box office is actually higher than it's ever been.

Are you kidding? Economic downturn = Bigger attendance. People are looking for an escape. Just take a look at the Box Office these last two months. Has January ever been this big? No. Films that don't normally do this well are doing incredible business. If anything, box office is actually higher than it's ever been.

No, I'm not kidding. January might have seen good business in some parts of the world, but down here the numbers have not been great.

"Has January ever been this big?" Try January 2006.

Last edited:
i think we've got another 'dead man's chest' and 'reloaded' on our hands, where the box office of the sequel will be a vast improvement over the first. way too early to tell, but i'm going to make the call that ROTF will surpass 1 billion worldwide total. not too much of a stretch considering the first made $708 mill.

No, I'm not kidding. January might have seen good business in some parts of the world, but down here the numbers have not been great.

"Has January ever been this big?" Try January 2006.

We're talking about North America, right? Cause if so.. yes they've been great. Just check out this write up from Box Office Mojo from this past weekend...

"Four high-profile nationwide releases and small declines from holdovers led to one of the highest-grossing February weekends on record. Overall weekend business was up a whopping 38 percent over the same timeframe last year, and one has to go back to 2001 to find a better attended comparable weekend."

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2544&p=.htm

Again, people are looking for an escape and movies are a pretty cheap escape compared to a lot else out there.

WoM for the first film was very high, and most people I know who weren't Transformers fans loved it, so I have no doubt that this one will make a lot more.

Seeing as how it is a Michael Bay film, this will easily top the first movie most likely. How much did the first one make?

Woah...cool your jets dude.

It'll of course beat the first film though.

If this movie is as good or better than the first, it will easily be the highest grossing movie of the year. Making anywhere from 350 mil- 400 mil.

I think this movie will make more than the first. And the 3rd one should make a ton of money too. Transformers just has a really cool formula that appeals to a lot of people. That said, how should they approach the 3rd film to set up a 4th? If they use Unicron in the 3rd film, how do they outdo it. Unless of course they have a film that in the lines of Revenge of Unicron.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"